PDA

View Full Version : Peter Berry done with racecalling??

cutchemist42
11-23-2017, 12:08 AM
Just seeing it on his twitter.....really bummed it isnt working out for him, I thought he was great.

lamboguy
11-23-2017, 05:24 AM
boy he is at the top of the heap in racecalling. it would be sad not to hear him any longer.

the other guy that i really like is Tony Calo. he gives you the most descriptive race call of anyone alive. he was in Northern California and came to Finger Lakes and took over from one of the games all-time superstars and has done a superb job at it.

Inner Dirt
11-23-2017, 07:35 AM
Sorry to hear him go, he was up there with the best. Wish him luck in his future endeavors. I wonder how Mountaineer's pay compares to some of the larger tracks? I wouldn't have a clue how much a track announcer is paid. Also how many other duties at the track they have.

Mulerider
11-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Sorry to hear this. I enjoy his calls. I'd hoped to meet him during the LaD quarterhorse meet in 2018. Best of luck in future endeavors.

JustRalph
11-23-2017, 11:28 AM
It’s another poor reflection on a failing sport.

A guy with as much talent as he has gets passed over for multiple jobs?

Peter, good luck and whatever you do.....go kill em! Lots of opportunity in this country and it’s getting better every day.

lamboguy
11-23-2017, 12:20 PM

A guy with as much talent as he has gets passed over for multiple jobs?

Peter, good luck and whatever you do.....go kill em! Lots of opportunity in this country and it’s getting better every day.as strange as it sounds, hearing his voice and Tony Calo's have kept people interested in their tracks. whatever they pay these guys isn't enough for what they produce.

thaskalos
11-23-2017, 12:32 PM
When we ponder the unfairness and the "politics" that infiltrate the world of business...we needn't look any further than Peter Berry's ordeal, as he tries to earn a decent living in a field where he obviously excels like few others can. He is the Rolls-Royce of race-announcing...IMO.

PaceAdvantage
11-23-2017, 12:32 PM

A guy with as much talent as he has gets passed over for multiple jobs?THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

This is without a doubt a total shame. I consider Peter Berry to be one of the TOP race callers in the COUNTRY. I'm talking easily TOP TWO OR THREE. And if I'm being completely honest, he just might be the BEST OUT THERE currently. I'm dead serious about that.

I have ALWAYS been a huge fan and a champion of his work on this board. And I have lamented multiple times how he should EASILY be calling on a MAJOR CIRCUIT.

If the industry loses this talent via ignorance, stupidity, or worse, then I dare say it's true what is said about those running the show, by their most vocal critics, here on this board and elsewhere. I haven't always bought all the vitriol thrown towards racetrack management, but if Berry leaves the game, I'm inclined to start believing it all.

This is pure, unmitigated BS.

Zydeco
11-23-2017, 01:55 PM
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

This is without a doubt a total shame. I consider Peter Berry to be one of the TOP race callers in the COUNTRY. I'm talking easily TOP TWO OR THREE. And if I'm being completely honest, he just might be the BEST OUT THERE currently. I'm dead serious about that.

I have ALWAYS been a huge fan and a champion of his work on this board. And I have lamented multiple times how he should EASILY be calling on a MAJOR CIRCUIT.

If the industry loses this talent via ignorance, stupidity, or worse, then I dare say it's true what is said about those running the show, by their most vocal critics, here on this board and elsewhere. I haven't always bought all the vitriol thrown towards racetrack management, but if Berry leaves the game, I'm inclined to start believing it all.

Agree!

zawaaa
11-23-2017, 02:05 PM
I wonder how Mountaineer's pay compares to some of the larger tracks? I wouldn't have a clue how much a track announcer is paid. Also how many other duties at the track they have.

it's an odd profession

it's probably a bit too much, but, it certainly would be interesting to hear

dilanesp
11-23-2017, 02:43 PM
Sorry to hear him go, he was up there with the best. Wish him luck in his future endeavors. I wonder how Mountaineer's pay compares to some of the larger tracks? I wouldn't have a clue how much a track announcer is paid. Also how many other duties at the track they have.

A few elite jobs pay well, like NYRA.

At lesser tracks, the announcer often has other duties and a long workday. E.g., television host, morning line maker, etc.

Woodbine offered $80k a year for the job Robert Geller now has, which includes tv hosting and handicapping as well as calling races.

Bad tracks might give you $500 a race card and no benefits.

theiman
11-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Peter has called harness racing before.

For years The Meadowlands had 2 announcers that split the duty, Warkentin and McKee. When McKee passed away have they replaced him? It certainly would have been a ideal part time job during the winter months to be at The Big M and spring summer fall at The Mountain.

jeebus1083
11-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Peter has called harness racing before.

For years The Meadowlands had 2 announcers that split the duty, Warkentin and McKee. When McKee passed away have they replaced him? It certainly would have been a ideal part time job during the winter months to be at The Big M and spring summer fall at The Mountain.

Prior to Sam McKee, John Bothe and Warkentin split duties.

AstrosFan
11-24-2017, 04:42 PM
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus!

Too many decent callers like Berry don’t get the true shot they deserve and someone mentioned Geller...well he sure didn’t get a chance at a big track in the USA and that’s due to other hacks that suck landing jobs they don’t deserve

The industry blows on who they employ and it continues to promote and support people in high profile announcing and management positions based on who they know!

NTamm1215
11-24-2017, 05:23 PM
Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus!

Too many decent callers like Berry don’t get the true shot they deserve and someone mentioned Geller...well he sure didn’t get a chance at a big track in the USA and that’s due to other hacks that suck landing jobs they don’t deserve

The industry blows on who they employ and it continues to promote and support people in high profile announcing and management positions based on who they know!

I'm wondering which jobs you've pursued and missed out on that makes you so bitter about younger announcers prospering. Feel free to share.

Prioress Ply
11-25-2017, 03:19 AM
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

Whoa Mr. Pace Advantage criticizes the industry. This is serious.

098poi
11-25-2017, 09:15 AM
Check this out! (2 and a 1/4 mile marathon) Listen after the winner crosses the finish line. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0aX76X6Zqw

MonmouthParkJoe
11-25-2017, 09:43 AM
A few elite jobs pay well, like NYRA.

At lesser tracks, the announcer often has other duties and a long workday. E.g., television host, morning line maker, etc.

Woodbine offered $80k a year for the job Robert Geller now has, which includes tv hosting and handicapping as well as calling races.

Bad tracks might give you $500 a race card and no benefits.

I think this is true for about 90% of racetracks honestly. I would be surprised if some of the lower level tracks even offer $500 a day. Most are hybrid positions. Some announcers I have spoken to wear several different hats depending on the track.

You can make a decent living at some of the upper management positions, but by far and large I think most people work in the industry because they love what they do. A buddy of mine left a full time position in harness to work a t bred racing office circuit traveling between the meets. Very few tracks run enough dates to be employed in that capacity year round in one location. Even then, they will do entries in the morning before moving into an official type position once the races start.

Inner Dirt
11-25-2017, 03:34 PM
When was Peter's last post? Has he seen this thread? If he feels down maybe the fact a lot of us long term race fans thinking he is great will lift his spirits. I will miss his calls. Best of luck on your future endeavors Mr. Berry.

PaceAdvantage
11-26-2017, 06:42 PM
Whoa Mr. Pace Advantage criticizes the industry. This is serious.Typical troll response.

zawaaa
11-26-2017, 07:43 PM
https://twitter.com/peterberry57/status/934918286512480256

The long winding road to Saratoga continues, i guess :coffee:

AstrosFan
11-26-2017, 09:08 PM
https://twitter.com/peterberry57?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eser p%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

kingfin66
11-26-2017, 10:55 PM
That is interesting. I am not a Twitter person, but if I am interpreting this correctly, Peter has deleted his Twitter account, or at least deleted all of his tweets.

JustRalph
11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
That is interesting. I am not a Twitter person, but if I am interpreting this correctly, Peter has deleted his Twitter account, or at least deleted all of his tweets.

Accounts there.....no tweets

Pensacola Pete
11-27-2017, 12:13 AM
THIS! VERY MUCH THIS!

I'll help make it clearer: In my opinion, Peter Berry is far and away the best racecaller in the United States. His talents are/were wasted at Mountaineer. But most racecallers from other countries (U.K., Australia, New Zealand, the English callers in Hong Kong, etc.) are much better than the ones here. They have to be: most of the racing elsewhere is on the turf, fields regularly exceed 12, and things change rapidly in the final 400 meters/quarter-mile.

rrpic6
11-27-2017, 09:51 AM
Believe it all P.A.

This is exactly why the Travis Stone, Matt Dinerman, Pete Aiello types keep catching the breaks they DO NOT deserve. It is all because they are in the good graces of the overrated Larry Collmus

Interesting observation. I've heard this whispered before. But some things best left unsaid.

RR

NTamm1215
11-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Believe it all P.A.

Interesting observation. I've heard this whispered before. But some things best left unsaid.

RR

It's complete and utter b.ullshit propagated by people who are jealous, clueless, or both.

jballscalls
11-27-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm not an announcer anymore but know most of the parties mentioned above. There was acknowledgement that Larry gave Travis a recommendation for his first job at LaD. That was made public. But other than that, I agree with what Nick said.

AstrosFan
11-27-2017, 08:25 PM
It's complete and utter b.ullshit propagated by people who are jealous, clueless, or both.

Now that's a b/s statement! :lol:

There is no way in hell Dinerman gets the EMD job without the endorsement of Collmus, when the job was calling for someone with at least 5 years experience. Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!

Before that, Luke Kruytbosch controlled who went where in the announcing game and that's how Pete Aiello ended up at River Downs. River got into a bind when Beem left, so Luke got him the gig. During that time, Aiello was trying to get in good at Prairie Meadows, which wasn't going to happen.

Then GP extended the meet to year round racing years later, so Larry gave Pete a call since GP management asked Larry's thoughts about it and the rest is current history.

I also wonder how Matt got to be on the airwaves ontrack at Del Mar during the BC races. Oh that's right, he knows the right weasels to get him in! All kinds of happy photos on Matt's twitter account with Larry and Trevor.

Don't give that propagated crap on here, when it's 100% fact!

These so called announcer guys post quite a bit on their public twitter accounts as well as facebook, thanking the guys who got them in.

Nothing else to discuss here when the facts are presented

I'm wondering which jobs you've pursued and missed out on that makes you so bitter about younger announcers prospering. Feel free to share.

Oh and p.s. smart aleck I am a Doctor, my jobs have been in the medical field.

kingfin66
11-27-2017, 09:20 PM
Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!

Out of curiosity, how do you know who applied for the Emerald Downs announcing job? Perhaps Jason, who has posted in this thread, can verify if he did indeed want that job badly.

jballscalls
11-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Out of curiosity, how do you know who applied for the Emerald Downs announcing job? Perhaps Jason, who has posted in this thread, can verify if he did indeed want that job badly.

I had a big long post addressing some of this, but decided I'm not going to interact with anonymous people on here on such personal topics. If AstrosFan wants to say who he is then maybe we can talk about it. I mean it's clear he's an announcer or was at one time, nobody would have all this information and opinions about announcers who wasn't. It's just impossible. The only people who pay this much attention to announcer drama is other announcers lol

I have a strong idea who he is based on his past posts, but I'm not here to out people or make accusations. That's their decision.

This thread's been hijacked a bit, in reality we should all just be happy that Peter B is gonna still be calling races. He's really good at it.

AltonKelsey
11-27-2017, 10:59 PM

RR

There must be some explanation for some of the mediocre talents on display . NY should hire Berry.

kingfin66
11-27-2017, 11:58 PM
I had a big long post addressing some of this, but decided I'm not going to interact with anonymous people on here on such personal topics. If AstrosFan wants to say who he is then maybe we can talk about it. I mean it's clear he's an announcer or was at one time, nobody would have all this information and opinions about announcers who wasn't. It's just impossible. The only people who pay this much attention to announcer drama is other announcers lol

I have a strong idea who he is based on his past posts, but I'm not here to out people or make accusations. That's their decision.

This thread's been hijacked a bit, in reality we should all just be happy that Peter B is gonna still be calling races. He's really good at it.

Good points Jason. I had not heard that Peter is going to continue calling races. That is indeed good news! :ThmbUp:

castaway01
11-28-2017, 08:31 AM

There is no way in hell Dinerman gets the EMD job without the endorsement of Collmus, when the job was calling for someone with at least 5 years experience. Then, magically, out of nowhere, Matt steps in to guest announce two races (how do you suppose he got that chance NTamm?) and ta-da gets the job over others who applied, such as Vic Stauffer and Mark Johnson who has extensive prior experience, including Jason Beem who wanted that job, badly!

Before that, Luke Kruytbosch controlled who went where in the announcing game and that's how Pete Aiello ended up at River Downs. River got into a bind when Beem left, so Luke got him the gig. During that time, Aiello was trying to get in good at Prairie Meadows, which wasn't going to happen.

Then GP extended the meet to year round racing years later, so Larry gave Pete a call since GP management asked Larry's thoughts about it and the rest is current history.

I also wonder how Matt got to be on the airwaves ontrack at Del Mar during the BC races. Oh that's right, he knows the right weasels to get him in! All kinds of happy photos on Matt's twitter account with Larry and Trevor.

These so called announcer guys post quite a bit on their public twitter accounts as well as facebook, thanking the guys who got them in.

You're a doctor but you're obsessed with track announcers? Spare us all the BS starting with that lie. These are actual people trying to make a living, not trolls on the Internet playing games. Show some respect and empathy.

dilanesp
11-28-2017, 12:43 PM

What you are describing is no different than how people get plum jobs in any other form of entertainment. Sic transit gloria mundi.

davew
11-28-2017, 07:27 PM

has some now, maybe hit a wrong button

zawaaa
11-29-2017, 11:38 AM
has some now, maybe hit a wrong button

:lol:

Peter Berry
12-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I haven't been on any forums in a while, so let me address a few things mentioned in this thread:

Mountaineer does not pay $500 per day; it pays $252. I was able to pick up winter work over the past three years at Charles Town ($300), Buffalo harness ($250) and Louisiana Downs ($325), but nothing so far this year with John McGary leaving Mahoning Valley to do both meets at Louisiana Downs.

When I started at Mountaineer in 2004 we raced for more than 11 months. I have not been able to make ends meet for the past few years with our reduced schedule, reduced health care and stagnant salary. I had hoped to get the winter job at Mahoning Valley to fill the gap but missed out for a third time. I also applied for Golden Gate and Aqueduct when their announcers moved on.

Indeed, I was on the verge of putting the race-calling cue in the rack but decided to return to Mountaineer in 2018 and have one more crack at finding winter employment at the end of the year.

As for the Larry Collmus the influence, of course there would be some truth to that. Given his standing in the game, a nod of approval or recommendation from Larry would hold great weight, as was the case with Luke Kruytbosch.

Time is running out for me to be calling at one of the elite tracks, especially with NYRA and California in safe hands for the next 10 years.

Thanks again, everyone, for your positive words. I'll keep trying.

airford1
12-03-2017, 10:31 PM
I would think that Del Mar is within your grasp. Trevor could retire and let a young man take over. Endeavor to perceiver. You my friend are a top notch race caller.

Peter Berry
12-03-2017, 11:01 PM
I would think that Del Mar is within your grasp. Trevor could retire and let a young man take over. Endeavor to perceiver. You my friend are a top notch race caller.
Thank you. Trevor has indicated he would like to call another 5-10 years at Del Mar.

VigorsTheGrey
12-04-2017, 02:19 AM
If I had my dithers, Matt and you could trade off at Golden Gate, alas I'm not a racing God, yet....

Inner Dirt
12-04-2017, 07:48 AM
Thank you. Trevor has indicated he would like to call another 5-10 years at Del Mar.

From the sound of some of his recent calls and being in his mid 60's I don't see Trevor lasting that long.

Tom
12-04-2017, 08:19 AM
So maybe it is time for an email campaign from us - the customers - to the tracks. Who knows, maybe, for once, one of them will listen?

mountainman
12-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I haven't been on any forums in a while, so let me address a few things mentioned in this thread:

Mountaineer does not pay $500 per day; it pays $252. I was able to pick up winter work over the past three years at Charles Town ($300), Buffalo harness ($250) and Louisiana Downs ($325), but nothing so far this year with John McGary leaving Mahoning Valley to do both meets at Louisiana Downs.

When I started at Mountaineer in 2004 we raced for more than 11 months. I have not been able to make ends meet for the past few years with our reduced schedule, reduced health care and stagnant salary. I had hoped to get the winter job at Mahoning Valley to fill the gap but missed out for a third time. I also applied for Golden Gate and Aqueduct when their announcers moved on.

Indeed, I was on the verge of putting the race-calling cue in the rack but decided to return to Mountaineer in 2018 and have one more crack at finding winter employment at the end of the year.

As for the Larry Collmus the influence, of course there would be some truth to that. Given his standing in the game, a nod of approval or recommendation from Larry would hold great weight, as was the case with Luke Kruytbosch.

Time is running out for me to be calling at one of the elite tracks, especially with NYRA and California in safe hands for the next 10 years.

Whatever the fate of your higher ambitions. Be proud of your work at Mnr. It's a good legacy.

Analysts are less transient than callers, and since I grew up attending Waterford/Mountaineer, I've never aspired to work elsewhere. In fact, Pete, my love of the place is such, and my life so intertwined with its history, that, with all respect to my bosses (past and present), I've never served persons, only the facility. And I think that's a nobler calling.

So forgive me if I consider your exemplary service to the track I love to be a great career, complete in itself. I know you want more, and the bills need paid.

Also, no winter gig at all for you is insane.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2017, 10:19 AM
So maybe it is time for an email campaign from us - the customers - to the tracks. Who knows, maybe, for once, one of them will listen?I wanted to try and do something like this for Mr. Berry, but I then realized that the last people track management types are going to listen to are the fans. In fact, we might impede his goals further if we started meddling in all of this...it's a sad statement.

MooseDog
12-04-2017, 10:47 AM
You have NO IDEA how wrong you are in both of these assumptions. Not...even...close.

Mulerider
12-04-2017, 10:59 AM
If I had my druthers Mr. Berry would be calling both the Louisiana Downs meets. I'm sure Mr. McGary is a good guy, and once the race starts he's a good caller, but he begins every race with, "Ready. For a start." It's delivered in a monotone, and I've started hearing it in my sleep, lol.

PaceAdvantage
12-04-2017, 11:00 AM
If I had my druthers Mr. Berry would be calling both the Louisiana Downs meets. I'm sure Mr. McGary is a good guy, and once the race starts he's a good caller, but he begins every race with, "Ready. For a start." It's delivered in a monotone, and I've started hearing it in my sleep, lol.I actually LOVE his "Ready. For a start." shtick...but I'm weird like that.

So weird in fact, you might catch me walking around my house saying "Ready. For a start!" I like it so much...

Mulerider
12-04-2017, 11:26 AM
I actually LOVE his "Ready. For a start." shtick...but I'm weird like that.

So weird in fact, you might catch me walking around my house saying "Ready. For a start!" I like it so much...

LOL! Different strokes, and all...

I'm actually looking forward to observing how Mr. McGary ad libs a late gate problem after he's already declared the race Ready. For a start. :)

jballscalls
12-04-2017, 12:58 PM

I'm the same with the before the gate stuff. I love it. races imbriale or travis are calling when there's three left to load I always say "Waiiiiiting forrrr"

For years at Portland our equibase guy in the office next to mine would always says "All in....locked up" which is what Geller would say before races at emerald.

JustRalph
12-04-2017, 04:28 PM
Tony Calo

There they go!

My fav

Inner Dirt
12-04-2017, 04:35 PM
"The flag is up" , "And there they go" Harry Henson.

Mulerider
12-04-2017, 04:58 PM
For some reason I'm partial to the guy at Remington Park. I'm ashamed to say I don't know his name. He does his best work in the stretch, particularly in close finishes ("RACE ON!!!")

A typical example:

2016 Oklahoma Derby

dilanesp
12-04-2017, 05:42 PM

I found it works well to say it right before sex.

dilanesp
12-04-2017, 05:44 PM
For some reason I'm partial to the guy at Remington Park. I'm ashamed to say I don't know his name. He does his best work in the stretch, particularly in close finishes ("RACE ON!!!")

A typical example:

2016 Oklahoma Derby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwFFF-FCiM)

I hadn't heard that guy at all until my mother ran one of her horses down there. My mother's horse did nothing, but there was a horse who ran off to a big lead and then pooped out in the stretch. As he was being passed the announcer said "[so-and-so] is out of gas and isn't anywhere near a filling station".

I thought that was pretty good.

JustRalph
12-04-2017, 08:00 PM
I found it works well to say it right before sex.

Thought for sure you were going to say

"There all .....…"

cj
12-05-2017, 09:01 AM

Dale Day, really good guy.

Exotic1
12-05-2017, 01:54 PM
I wanted to try and do something like this for Mr. Berry, but I then realized that the last people track management types are going to listen to are the fans. In fact, we might impede his goals further if we started meddling in all of this...it's a sad statement.

Well said.

Peter Berry
12-24-2017, 09:09 AM
Just a quick FYI:
I’m no longer on Facebook or Instant Messenger, just Twitter @peterberry57.

thespaah
12-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Prior to Sam McKee, John Bothe and Warkentin split duties.

After Ed Gorman, the original announcer at Meadowlands departed, Tom Durkin was hired. He worked solo. it was until Bothe was hired did the Meadowlands management use a two caller system.

thespaah
12-26-2017, 10:07 PM
Believe it all P.A.

Bitter much?

thespaah
12-26-2017, 10:15 PM

You're a doctor? And you have time to do an impression of the NY Post Page 6 of track announcers?
Quite frankly, you 'know too much'
So, my guess is you are NOT a doctor ( medical) . I think you are in the racetrack industry or once were.
If not, you are 100% full of stall muck

thespaah
12-26-2017, 10:18 PM

Hopefully you can land in a spot that allows you to continue to display your talents.
Good luck Looking forward to hearing your calls in '18

bello
12-27-2017, 10:48 AM
Gee Whiz Peter, this is really a shame.

As far as I am concerned you are an elite race caller and you are better than the mountain. I just wish one of the elite tracks would recognize this.

Not only that, your style creates interest and fans. It certainly was not the racing product at Mountaineer. Your wit and race calling kept me more interested than the racing.

If this sounds like a referral, it is . From someone who has listened to a zillion race calls all around the world, you and Mr. Calo are the best in the industry right now. All the best and I will follow you wherever you land.

Peter Berry
12-27-2017, 12:53 PM
Gee Whiz Peter, this is really a shame.

As far as I am concerned you are an elite race caller and you are better than the mountain. I just wish one of the elite tracks would recognize this.

Not only that, your style creates interest and fans. It certainly was not the racing product at Mountaineer. Your wit and race calling kept me more interested than the racing.

If this sounds like a referral, it is . From someone who has listened to a zillion race calls all around the world, you and Mr. Calo are the best in the industry right now. All the best and I will follow you wherever you land.
Thanks for the kind words, Bello. I’ll be back at Mountaineer in 2018 but clearly I need to do a better job of hunting down winter employment. I’m starting to get paranoid!!!

craigbraddick
12-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Peter is a great caller. Truly great!

Whatever validity there is to Astrofan's posts on this subject is spoiled by the fact he is obviously one of the following:

1.What he says he is (and the reason for his interest in this subject is unexplainable.)

2. A current or former racecaller who feels unfairly treated.

3. Someone who has never called a race in his life, desperately wants too and cannot get a break so takes it out on what he perceives (rightly or wrongly) as cronyism.

Whatever room there was for a discussion of caller opportunity based on talent, versus caller opportunity based on who wants to help you has long since sailed because of his vindictiveness.

But the fact remains there are far inferior callers to Peter Berry calling at tracks over the winter who should be lining up to hire him!

If anyone on the forum is visiting Rillito, stop by the Announcing Booth and say Hi to me in February and March!

Regards,

Peter Berry
12-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Along with just about every other announcer with a pulse, I’m going to target Los Alamitos in 2019. I lived near the track in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s and was actually offered a job there in the publicity department in 1988. I backed out at the last minute to take a job at FIGS form. I hope LosAl doesn’t hold that against me when they begin considering applications.

thaskalos
12-28-2017, 09:57 AM

Whatever validity there is to Astrofan's posts on this subject is spoiled by the fact he is obviously one of the following:

1.What he says he is (and the reason for his interest in this subject is unexplainable.)

3. Someone who has never called a race in his life, desperately wants too and cannot get a break so takes it out on what he perceives (rightly or wrongly) as cronyism.

Whatever room there was for a discussion of caller opportunity based on talent, versus caller opportunity based on who wants to help you has long since sailed because of his vindictiveness.

But the fact remains there are far inferior callers to Peter Berry calling at tracks over the winter who should be lining up to hire him!

If anyone on the forum is visiting Rillito, stop by the Announcing Booth and say Hi to me in February and March!

Regards,

Okay, Craig...let's try and decipher what you are trying to say here:

You admit that there are "far inferior" racecallers than Peter Berry working out there, and that there are tracks out there which should be "lining up to hire Berry"...but you neglected to tell us why you think Berry is without a winter job, and why these tracks, who are in obvious need of his services, are unwilling to hire him.

Astrofan presented his "theory"...which you found "unsatisfactory" because of your assumptions of who Astrofan is in relation to this game. Would you care to enlighten us on this topic with a theory of your own? If Peter Berry is as "Truly great!" as we all think he is...why isn't he working somewhere right now?

cj
12-28-2017, 10:50 AM
These things are odd. No offense to Peter at all, love his calls, but a lot of the inferior callers in place have been there for a while. They aren't going to get fired just because a better guy is available. Not many jobs work that way.

Maybe the tracks are comfortable with the job the current guys are doing for the amount they are getting paid.

craigbraddick
12-28-2017, 11:06 AM
Thaskalos:

You make great points.

Honestly, I think it comes down to people in track management either not recognizing a good race caller when they hear one or not thinking it is that important to have one in their operation.

Peter Berry
12-28-2017, 04:09 PM
These things are odd. No offense to Peter at all, love his calls, but a lot of the inferior callers in place have been there for a while. They aren't going to get fired just because a better guy is available. Not many jobs work that way.

Maybe the tracks are comfortable with the job the current guys are doing for the amount they are getting paid.
Inquiring, or worse applying, for a job at track that already has an announcer is the height of audacity and shamelessness. I’d rather never call another race than lower myself to such abhorrent behavior.

cj
12-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Inquiring, or worse applying, for a job at track that already has an announcer is the height of audacity and shamelessness. I’d rather never call another race than lower myself to such abhorrent behavior.

Good to hear, I hope you didn't think I meant you were doing that. I never meant to imply that at all.

How you've been passed over for some of the jobs you did apply for is beyond me.

Peter Berry
12-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Not at all, CJ. I was just thinking out loud. Sometimes I feel like Dr. Smith in Lost in Space. As the announcer at Mountaineer for 13 years I’ve become typecast. If I’ve worked at Mountaineer for so long, I can’t be much good. I prefer to think I’m loyal.

Alc
12-28-2017, 06:52 PM
I think you are getting screwed..You are good!

VigorsTheGrey
12-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Problem is, most tracks that are located anywhere decent most likely have a high cost of living also. For example, Golden Gate Fields in the San Francisco Bay area...Living there takes 2 incomes just so you can cozy up in a 2 bedroom apartment for 3 grand a month if you are lucky enough to even find one at that price...so really how much can any announcer really earn to be able to afford living anywhere decent. The job is simply not that important to warrant paying anyone big bucks to do...

cj
12-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Problem is, most tracks that are located anywhere decent most likely have a high cost of living also. For example, Golden Gate Fields in the San Francisco Bay area...Living there takes 2 incomes just so you can cozy up in a 2 bedroom apartment for 3 grand a month if you are lucky enough to even find one at that price...so really how much can any announcer really earn to be able to afford living anywhere decent. The job is simply not that important to warrant paying anymore big bucks to do...

It should be more important than ever if a track cares at all about its simulcast presentation.

MonmouthParkJoe
12-28-2017, 09:32 PM

Regards,

Rillito Park baby!!!!

VigorsTheGrey
12-28-2017, 09:41 PM
It should be more important than ever if a track cares at all about its simulcast presentation.

I agree but there seems to be a disconnect getting all those dots in a row...what does the hat look like that the "New Age" announcer presumably would fill...? Or is it the case that the announcer must wear many hats to be able to bring home an 80K salary a year...? The bills go on even though the meetings have seasons, and when the track is not running, then what...? Mac and cheese...?

dilanesp
12-28-2017, 09:49 PM

Really? My impression is a lot of simulcast parlors have the sound off.

cj
12-28-2017, 11:21 PM
Really? My impression is a lot of simulcast parlors have the sound off.

I guess some do. But for people playing at home, which is large, it would still be wise to have a good announcer. You took my use of the word "simulcast" too literally. There are many ways to watch and bet races these days.

VigorsTheGrey
12-29-2017, 12:20 AM
I guess some do. But for people playing at home, which is large, it would still be wise to have a good announcer. You took my use of the word "simulcast" too literally. There are many ways to watch and bet races these days.

Mostly at the simos I have attended the announcer is heard only to call the race for a minute or two and maybe briefly early for changes. Other than that, the feeds are muted...I have tried to adjust the volume on some of the monitors higher, but inevitably THAT causes other players to object who want quiet in order to concentrate..

...needless to say the feeds from the track leave much that is desired...the integration of the announcer, paddock profile, post parade and warm-ups with other media and racing professionals similar to what we see in Hong Kong racing venues is the frontier that is most in need of crossing...

Apparently, tracks do not seek to spend additional funds to support such fan-based perks and services...they must view it as a drag on their bottom line....

chiguy
12-29-2017, 10:29 AM
Try an app called Tunity. It allows you to listen to a TV through your phone. I have worked in OTB's where we used the next up race as the decider for what feed to have the sound on but some folks preferred to listen to another feed and I would let them know about this app. I suggest using headphones when you use it so you don't bother others around you. Also good for getting the sound on a football or other sporting event when it is showing at an OTB.

mountainman
12-29-2017, 11:39 AM
When somebody sitting next to me at simulcast has the sound even audible I want to choke them. Sometimes I actually reach over and turn it down. Seriously.

JustRalph
12-29-2017, 03:06 PM
Try an app called Tunity. It allows you to listen to a TV through your phone. I have worked in OTB's where we used the next up race as the decider for what feed to have the sound on but some folks preferred to listen to another feed and I would let them know about this app. I suggest using headphones when you use it so you don't bother others around you. Also good for getting the sound on a football or other sporting event when it is showing at an OTB.

I pointed this app out to my brother in law who travels a ton on business. It’s great for sitting in the airport watching a news channel etc with no sound

craigbraddick
12-29-2017, 04:14 PM
When somebody sitting next to me at simulcast has the sound even audible I want to choke them. Sometimes I actually reach over and turn it down. Seriously.

So to play Devils advocate for a second... Go to a betting shop in the UK and the audio is always on. Not just for horse racing, but also dog racing and sometimes other sports where wagers are being taken. As a kid I would sneak into betting shops when they just had audio coverage of races, so the sound was always blaring.

I wonder what the cultural significance is there? In the early days of simulcasting in the USA was there sometimes only audio, or limited races from certain tracks, did they have the sound up in those days?

cj
12-29-2017, 04:29 PM
So to play Devils advocate for a second... Go to a betting shop in the UK and the audio is always on. Not just for horse racing, but also dog racing and sometimes other sports where wagers are being taken. As a kid I would sneak into betting shops when they just had audio coverage of races, so the sound was always blaring.

I wonder what the cultural significance is there? In the early days of simulcasting in the USA was there sometimes only audio, or limited races from certain tracks, did they have the sound up in those days?

I think here it is just very tough with so many tracks running, often on top of each other.

Peter Berry
12-29-2017, 07:14 PM
I think here it is just very tough with so many tracks running, often on top of each other.
Are earphones an option at any OTBs?

BombsAway Bob
12-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Are earphones an option at any OTBs?

When Rockingham Park opened it's state-of-the-art clubhouse "Turf Club"
around 1990, it had 11-12 jumbo TV's placed around the top of the room.
You could 'rent' headphones & plug them in at your table & pick which
screen you wanted to listen to. Seeing a table of men wearing headphones
was what i imagined The Untied Nations would have looked like
if it was an OTB.
The only footage of the "Turf Club" i can find is the final auction of ROCK
memorabilia held there.
https://youtu.be/tm-sq0nTO7M?t=25s