PDA

View Full Version : RIP David Cassidy

jocko699
11-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Gosh I used to watch the Partridge Family.

Parkview_Pirate
11-21-2017, 09:54 PM
obit:

http://variety.com/2017/music/people-news/david-cassidy-dead-dies-partridge-family-1202618273/

Yeah, I remember some of the girls in grade school toting around their Partridge Family lunch boxes. Wasn't a big fan of the show, but it's certainly a part of the early 70s culture.

Hopefully his post-life destination differs from Mr. Manson's....

cj
11-21-2017, 11:56 PM
David was a horse racing fan too!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1926-2005Mar25.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r9UtIhOI8M

NJ Stinks
11-22-2017, 12:36 AM
Nothing better than a celeb who likes horseracing! :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

Just to finish the Washington Post story CJ linked, David must have pounded Mayan King down to 8-1 in the 2005 Lane's End. :)

Here's a link to the chart of that race:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/chartEmb.cfm?track=TP&raceDate=03/26/2005&cy=USA&rn=9

RunForTheRoses
11-22-2017, 07:21 AM
RIP, loved the show growing up. It was Must See TV om Friday nights after the Brady Busch. And I remember the horse racing, seemed like a cool guy.

HoofedInTheChest
11-22-2017, 10:20 AM
I’m sorry to hear of his passing.

Loved the Partridge Family when i was a kid, Reuben Kincaid was priceless.

Fager Fan
11-22-2017, 10:47 AM
Things went downhill for him pretty fast over the past couple of years. He seem to have a pretty good life prior to that though. Sorry to hear of his passing.

Sean Cassidy is his brother and had his fame as a teen heartthrob too. I don't recall what else he did but he was a Hardy Boy.

pandy
11-22-2017, 11:04 AM
I forget the name of the horse, but some years ago I was watching TVG on a chilly winter afternoon and David Cassidy called in and told them that he had a first time starter going in the next race at Aqueduct. He said that the horse broke loose during a training session and they timed him going something like a :45.2 half. He paid $100,000 for the colt and he said it was much more than he usually spent. I believe it was a NY Bred. Anyway, he was touting the horse a few minutes before post time. I had picked a different horse in the race, which I liked, so I put in a $10 exacta box with his horse and my pick and his horse won at 5-2 odds and I hit a 16-1 exacta.

He sounded like a nice guy, very excited about his horse, and it was nice of him to share inside information with the TVG viewers.

thaskalos
11-22-2017, 11:04 AM
Lay off the sauce, folks. There is a big price to pay in the end.

FantasticDan
11-22-2017, 11:08 AM
Sean Cassidy is his brother and had his fame as a teen heartthrob too. I don't recall what else he did but he was a Hardy Boy.Yeah, Shaun certainly had his time in the music spotlight too, and he went on to become a successful TV writer and producer in his later years..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vufhSS7g42o

reckless
11-22-2017, 11:32 AM
As time ticks on we tend to live so deep into the 'now' that we forget what life was before the current next, new big thing.

Where I am going here is that to people of a certain age, David Cassidy may have been the most popular music celebrity of alltime -- his popularity even exceeding that of Justin Bieber.

The Partridge Family begat the music and the TV show became the perfect vehicle to promote the records, the world wide tours and all that. The fictional 'Partridges' were based on the real life musical family and successful group, The Cowsills.

RIP to David Cassidy.

Fager Fan
11-22-2017, 01:33 PM
As time ticks on we tend to live so deep into the 'now' that we forget what life was before the current next, new big thing.

Where I am going here is that to people of a certain age, David Cassidy may have been the most popular music celebrity of alltime -- his popularity even exceeding that of Justin Bieber.

The Partridge Family begat the music and the TV show became the perfect vehicle to promote the records, the world wide tours and all that. The fictional 'Partridges' were based on the real life musical family and successful group, The Cowsills.

RIP to David Cassidy.

Didn't the Monkees come prior?

Inner Dirt
11-22-2017, 03:21 PM
I remember my sister had every David Cassidy item known to man and his posters covering every wall in her room. I will admit to watching the Partridge Family when I was a kid. I think it is still on Sunday afternoons on Antennae TV in my area.

Parkview_Pirate
11-22-2017, 09:55 PM
...Where I am going here is that to people of a certain age, David Cassidy may have been the most popular music celebrity of alltime -- his popularity even exceeding that of Justin Bieber.

Seriously? I'm not even sure David Cassidy outshined Leif Garrett.

"Paging Mr. Elvis Presley, line 2. Paging Mr. Paul McCartney, line 1."

"Mr. Michael Jackson, please pick up the pink courtesy house phone...."

FantasticDan
11-23-2017, 12:09 AM
Reckless is right, for millions and millions of girls in the early 70s, David Cassidy was the ultimate teen heart throb. Trying to undersell how popular he was compared to more enduring phenoms like Elvis and The Beatles just doesn't ring true. For those two or three years, there was no one bigger than Cassidy.

JustRalph
11-23-2017, 01:31 AM
Bobby Sherman led the way....Cassidy followed immediately behind him......both with TV shows to boost their careers.

I had a few friends back SoCal in the 80s who hung out with him and they always said good things about him. Down to earth was the common refrain

Inner Dirt
11-23-2017, 07:44 AM
Seriously? I'm not even sure David Cassidy outshined Leif Garrett.

"Paging Mr. Elvis Presley, line 2. Paging Mr. Paul McCartney, line 1."

"Mr. Michael Jackson, please pick up the pink courtesy house phone...."

No way Garrett was close to Cassidy. His run was shorter and not as bright because of repeated busts for drug and alcohol use. I would be curious what the count was between the two on teen magazine covers.

Ocala Mike
11-23-2017, 10:10 AM
He would come to Ocala quite often for the horse sales, and I remember a few years back he got into some trouble driving down here, either an accident or DUI.

His stepmother, Shirley Jones, is a class act.

upthecreek
11-23-2017, 03:41 PM
https://twitter.com/SimonTVG/status/933161673984172032

Boulder
11-24-2017, 10:44 AM
I was in Saratoga several summers back staying at the Gideon Putnam Hotel with my wife. We stopped in the hotel bar for a drink, and it was empty. So we were talking to the young bartender, who was in her 20"s and she mention there was a Charity Event going at the Gideon and that some 70"s singer heartthrob was there. She was to young and had no clue who he was and couldn't remember his name or band. At that David Cassidy walks through the bar to grab his car at the valet. I said hello and he stopped and talked to me and my wife for a couple of minutes said good bye to us. Got to the door stopped and said good-bye Helen( my wifes name) and walked out. Made her trip.........:)

JustRalph
11-24-2017, 02:24 PM
I was in Saratoga several summers back staying at the Gideon Putnam Hotel with my wife. We stopped in the hotel bar for a drink, and it was empty. So we were talking to the young bartender, who was in her 20"s and she mention there was a Charity Event going at the Gideon and that some 70"s singer heartthrob was there. She was to young and had no clue who he was and couldn't remember his name or band. At that David Cassidy walks through the bar to grab his car at the valet. I said hello and he stopped and talked to me and my wife for a couple of minutes said good bye to us. Got to the door stopped and said good-bye Helen( my wifes name) and walked out. Made her trip.........:)

Now that’s a real pro! 👍

highnote
11-28-2017, 05:49 PM
I was with my wife and son at Saratoga when my son was about 4 or 5 years old. My son and I were downstairs in the clubhouse and we were walking back up the old, wooden staircase to get to our seats. I was holding the handrail with my left hand and holding my son's hand with my right hand. My son was full of energy and bounding up the stairs with abandon. He runs head first into the legs of a guy who is walking down the stairs. I look up, and realize my son just ran into David Cassidy. I kind of laughed, but Cassidy found it awkward. He kind of just half-smiled out of the corner of his mouth and let my son pass. I think Cassidy was "in the zone" and my son disrupted his moment. LOL

I saw David and his brother Shawn along with Petula Clark in a Broadway production of "Blood Brothers" 20 or so years ago. They were all excellent. It was a terrific show. He was a pro. No question about it.