PDA

View Full Version : Steward Consistency Part 2

sq764
08-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Ok, as an example... Take a look at Evangeline Downs Race 2 for tonight (8/16). Watch the head on of the stretch drive..

The 3 horse on the lead drifts about 10 feet across the track, right in front of the 4 horse.. Then keeps coming over and bumps him..

Race goes official in about 20 seconds.. No inquiry, no objection, nothing..

Was it a blatant foul? Not sure. Was it worth coming down? Not sure.. Was it worth an inquiry? Certainly.. BUT.. it was only a race for $6750.. so......

TOOZ
08-17-2004, 07:19 AM
How about this,

Have stewards sign endorsement deals with binocular companies so when they make a bad call you can call the company and say I'm not buying your binoculars anymore.

Get rid of all inquires and have owners and trainers make the objections. If you lose the objection, you have to pay. Every race will be official in 5 seconds.

We are just going to be at the mercy of another insider, political hack job that anyone with 20/20 corrected vision can do. Until
bettors get together and boycott handles at the incosistent tracks, nothing will change. Just hope you don't have the horse that gets the phantom DQ.

Figman
08-18-2004, 08:41 AM
The NYRA-Saratoga stewards.
http://tinyurl.com/4qbfx

Valuist
08-18-2004, 09:39 AM
As talked about on another thread, I think the best way to have consistency is let results stand for betting purposes; issue DQs (when needed) for purses only. Horseplayers as a group tend to remember the tough beats and bad DQs. They forget about the times they are unjustly moved up. I believe most bettors would be happy to not have to sweat out inquiries and foul claims.

sq764
08-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I don't think this is the answer either..

You could have 2 horses battling down the lane, then have the one jockey whip the other horse in the eye and win.. Would you want that?

Valuist
08-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Since he'd get taken down for purse purposes, it wouldn't benefit him to do it. How often does that happen? I did see a rider at Arlington (Liz Morris) smack another rider (CH Marquez) in the back w/the whip twice during a race 2 weeks ago. BTW, Morris did get fined $500 for that incident. And she's not exactly Julie Krone Jr.