PDA

View Full Version : Husker Rumor

jay68802
11-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Close to signing Scott Frost. 7yrs, 35 million base salary.

kingfin66
11-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Has Nebraska fired Mike Riley? I totally understand the synergy of bringing Scott Frost back to Lincoln, but the rumors would make more sense if Riley were fired. Personally, I have been worried that new AD Bill Moos would try to coax Mike Leach away from Washington State to be the coach at Nebraska. I say worried because I am a Cougar fan. I could easily see Frost being at the top of Tennessee's list of prospective coaches. He will be a very hot commodity.

ElKabong
11-18-2017, 05:36 PM
I've seen Frost's name mentioned for the NU job all year on Hornfans.com and it would be a logical hire (qb'd there during the lawrence phillips years)... Problem is, they lost their recruiting base when they left for the B1G. Not sure he's the guy that can get that pipeline back. It'll be a tough climb back, but he's done very well @ UCF

Re: Leach.. I love the guy's personality, youtube some of his one man comedy stands. One of my faves is his weatherman impersonation in Lubbock. He's a Mormon so I'm not sure he'll fly w/ some of the faithful in Tenn, but if he wins would they really care? I know at one time it would have mattered but not sure about now

Florida is the head scratcher. Reminds me of TEXAS when they hd to settle on Charlie Strong. A top ten program that had trouble getting legit interest off the bat with a game changer. My guess is Dan Mullen goes back

another guess, Gus rides the bus from Auburn to Fayettenam to go back home & finish his career

Lot of openings. Gonna be a fun december

kingfin66
11-19-2017, 12:06 PM
Fayettenam? :lol: I have never been there, but I am guess that it is less than nice.

With Leach, he is colorful to say the least. I know someone whose son is playing for him. Says he is an effective coach and odd. He recently had his offense doing push ups on the sideline in the middle of a game because he had become frustrated with the performance. Too bad he didn't join them!

I think that there is zero chance Leach would end up at Tennessee. He either stays in Pullman, or could follow Bill Moos from Pullman to Lincoln - you have to figure that Riley is toast at Nebraska after the AD change. Moos is the former Oregon AD who lured Leach to the Palouse from his exile in the Florida Keys. It took him awhile to turn the program around, but he has done so in a big way. We aren't quite where we were at the end of the Mike Price era but we are close. They will have a 10-win season if they beat UW in the Apple Cup next week.

My money is still on Scott Frost to go to Tennessee. I just hope that Leach stays put so that we can enjoy many more of those irreverent press conferences.

ElKabong
11-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Fayettenam has been a term since the 60s. Not a slam. Back then it was a very unpleasant place for visiting football fans (has since changed dramatically, as has that area/ region). My folks drove their in the mid 60s during the Donnie Anderson era, my brother was on the Frosh team. Our car was keyed as was every car w/ a Tech sticker. That was common back then in Fayetteville

Like I say, it's changed quite a bit there, cool place for the most part

If Leacj goes anywhere, it's Ark, in my opinon. He's had nice things to say about the atmophere during games in Ark...again, he'd be an outsider so I'm not sure they'd go after him.

jay68802
11-20-2017, 12:20 AM
First of all, there has been plenty of news reports of Nebraska looking for a new coach. The new AD has stated that the "evaluation" of the football program is ongoing and no decision will be made until after the season is over. They have never disputed the rumors of looking at Scott Frost or any other coach for the job. So it is a for gone conclusion that our coach will be fired. The problem that comes from this is that Nebraska can not afford to be turned down by Frost. Not getting Frost as the next head coach would send a huge negative message to everyone. In my opinion, Nebraska will top any offer for Frost to get him here, and the announcement will be made when Frost says go ahead.

jay68802
11-20-2017, 12:28 AM
Other notes.
Frost had Ahman Green as his running back, not Phillips. Fayetteville is a great place to go for a football game. Saw them play against Ole Miss and had a blast. Mike Leach would hate Nebraska, IMO. But he is one of my favorite coaches to listen to.

ElKabong
11-20-2017, 12:56 AM
Other notes.
Frost had Ahman Green as his running back, not Phillips. Fayetteville is a great place to go for a football game. Saw them play against Ole Miss and had a blast. Mike Leach would hate Nebraska, IMO. But he is one of my favorite coaches to listen to.

Just checked wikipedia, Frost and Phillips were teammates on the 1995 team. Frost I believe started in 96 and 97, may have had to sit out 95 due to xfer rules

Reason I recall Frost was there the same time Phillips was there, was the incident where Phillips broke into Frost's apartment and dragged a girl down some stairs and beat her up a bit. I do recall that. Frost may have been in transfer status, but he was on that squad / campus

I agree, Leach is a fun guy. Entertaining :)

ElKabong
11-20-2017, 01:00 AM
First of all, there has been plenty of news reports of Nebraska looking for a new coach. The new AD has stated that the "evaluation" of the football program is ongoing and no decision will be made until after the season is over. They have never disputed the rumors of looking at Scott Frost or any other coach for the job. So it is a for gone conclusion that our coach will be fired. The problem that comes from this is that Nebraska can not afford to be turned down by Frost. Not getting Frost as the next head coach would send a huge negative message to everyone. In my opinion, Nebraska will top any offer for Frost to get him here, and the announcement will be made when Frost says go ahead.

I'd be shocked if Frost didn't accept. He's done well @ USF, so the track record is there. He'd be a true hero if he turned the program around.

FWIW, I really liked Reilly. Good guy, seems to do things right off the field (I haven't kept up w/ NU football closely after they went to the b1g, so maybe I'm off on my perception of him). I always pull for those types to succeed. Wish it had worked out for him, same for Frost if he is the choice

rastajenk
11-20-2017, 08:13 AM
My money is still on Scott Frost to go to Tennessee. If Frost is SEC-ready, wouldn't Florida make more sense?

kingfin66
11-20-2017, 06:02 PM
If Frost is SEC-ready, wouldn't Florida make more sense?

They appear to be aggressively pursuing Chip Kelly, but now UCLA has entered the picture, so you never know.

kingfin66
11-20-2017, 06:05 PM
I'd be shocked if Frost didn't accept. He's done well @ USF, so the track record is there. He'd be a true hero if he turned the program around.

FWIW, I really liked Reilly. Good guy, seems to do things right off the field (I haven't kept up w/ NU football closely after they went to the b1g, so maybe I'm off on my perception of him). I always pull for those types to succeed. Wish it had worked out for him, same for Frost if he is the choice

Reilly has a great reputation as a person. You don't see it often, if ever, when a guy leaves a school for another job, that job does not work out, and then the school takes him back. That is exactly what happened after Reilly left Oregon State for the NFL. Nebraska wanted the anti-Bo Pelini so they went with Reilly. Could it be that Reilly ends up back at Oregon State for a third time?

ElKabong
11-21-2017, 01:41 AM
If Bielema is hired after getting the axe from Ark, woe is the fool program dumb enough to take him.

Is he too fat to put one foot in front of another without falling down, or is this his Hillary Clinton moment? Funny stuff

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/9/28/4782112/bret-bielema-falling-down

jay68802
11-21-2017, 10:51 AM
If Bielema is hired after getting the axe from Ark, woe is the fool program dumb enough to take him.

Is he too fat to put one foot in front of another without falling down, or is this his Hillary Clinton moment? Funny stuff

https://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/9/28/4782112/bret-bielema-falling-down

Forgot about 95 and Frost sitting that year. Bielema has been kicked around at Nebraska because he was from Wisconsin and that program was modeled after Nebraska. I do not think the football gods would allow Nebraska to hire him unless they really want to screw with Nebraska.

ElKabong
11-21-2017, 01:09 PM
NU can do better than Bielema. I see him as an espn analyst, he'd actually be good at it perhaps. As a coach, he's run Arkansas down pretty bad. He'd have to take a huge step down from Ark (as a HC) I'd think, as in a non P5 conference.

The B1G was fairly weak when he was at Wiscy, it's a much more competitive conference these days. Not sure he could survive that conference nowdays

kingfin66
11-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Bielema and Riley officially fired today. Chip Kelly was hired by UCLA. I see the current D1 coaching openings as follows. Please fill in any missing ones.

Oregon State
Arkansas
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Nebraska
Florida

barahona44
11-26-2017, 10:51 AM
Chip Kelly is a good hire for UCLA.UCLA hasn't won a national title in 63 years (same age as me :) )or Pac 12 title in almost 20 years.I think Florida is an overrated job, there's a lot of nationwide competition for that state's recruits.California has almost double the population of the Sunshine State but only one more big time in state rival (USC,Cal and Stanford and Stanford does more national recruing becsuse of their academic standards). The Gators compete with FSU and Miami.Might be interesting to see how Kelly responds to the bright lights of LA.He's not exactly suave and debonair and he always seems to be a bit awkward in dealing with others.

jay68802
11-26-2017, 12:40 PM
The second half of Fridays game had Husker fan's on the edge of their seats. But enough about the USF / Central Florida game.

ElKabong
11-26-2017, 05:59 PM
Add sumlin to the fired list today. Ags are supposedly zeroing in on Jimbo Fisher. Poor choice IMO, but it's their $$

Tennessee was about to announce Schiano as their Hc, the fan base has gone batshit over the hire. Watch that soap opera, it's good entertainment. The Paterno era / Penn St / Sandusky boy rape scandal is being brought up with Sciano supposedly having some knowledge of the situation :popcorn:

ElKabong
11-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Just now saw TCU gave Gary Patterson an extension thru 2024 making it almost impossible to buy him out. Apparently he was approached by multiple programs again

ElKabong
11-26-2017, 06:08 PM
The second half of Fridays game had Husker fan's on the edge of their seats. But enough about the USF / Central Florida game.

That was a heckuva game, wish I'd seen the whole game. Was painting my house, saw bits and pieces. Frost has a good team there, I can see why he's the hot commodity this year

kingfin66
11-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Florida - hires Dan Mullen

Mississippi St. - now has a head coaching vacancy

ElKabong
11-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Sumlin might be a good fit at Miss State, not sure who they'll hire.

Just some names that might be in line for new gigs

Chad Morris of SMU
Bo Orlando, TEXAS def coordinator
Seth littrell, UNT
Brent Venables, if interested
Iowa state coach (Campbell)
Greg Schiano
Mike Stoops (best off staying at Ky)
Dave Aranda (may like his current gig at LSU)

Retreads
Les Miles
Kevin sumlin
Brent Bielema
Brady Hoke
Mike Reilly

"But...you just got here and you're already looking???"
Charlie strong
Major Applewhite
Pj Fleck

Too hot to handle unless you like the NCAA camping on the steps of your admin bldg

Lane Kiffen
Art Briles
Hugh Freeze

rastajenk
11-27-2017, 07:59 AM
I sometimes wonder why Stanford's Shaw is able to stay put. I know it's a good gig in a good conference, and maybe he just likes it there, but there have to be several programs with more resources that would like to have a reliable over-achiever with a clean record of success.

ElKabong
11-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Shaw is the Pac's equivalent of Mike Gundy. Year after year he's approached, but he doesn't entertain the suitors. He likes it where he is. Three yrs ago TEXAS approached him per insiders, he flat out turned down an interview. Others have suffered the same fate

jay68802
11-29-2017, 01:38 PM
How about Lane Kiffen going back to Tennessee? Just a random thought. Here in Nebraska very, very few other names being mentioned(none), leading me to believe that a deal is in place for Scott Frost.

barahona44
11-29-2017, 02:19 PM
How about Lane Kiffen going back to Tennessee? Just a random thought. Here in Nebraska very, very few other names being mentioned(none), leading me to believe that a deal is in place for Scott Frost.

Lane Kiffin was interviewed by Dan Patrick this morning and he said Tennessee has not "reached out" to him.
It's easy to forget how young Kiffin (42) is. Most Division 1 coaches are about that age when they get their first big head coaching job.

ElKabong
11-29-2017, 11:43 PM

The absence of non denials coming from Frost and Jimbo leads me to believe they'll be @ NU and aTm respectively.

I feel for Tennessee even tho they've created quite a poor bed for themselves. Whoever they hire they'll grossly over pay. If there ever was a program in a bad position to negotiate, it's Tenn, today

kingfin66
11-30-2017, 01:06 AM
It is looking like Oregon State has hired Jonathan Smith to be their new coach. This is not a profile hire in comparison to some of the other jobs out there.

I agree that now that Riley has been fired at Nebraska, Frost is well positioned to be the new coach of the Huskers.

Dahoss2002
11-30-2017, 02:05 AM
[QUOTE=ElKabong;2245537]Add sumlin to the fired list today. Ags are supposedly zeroing in on Jimbo Fisher. Poor choice IMO, but it's their money
/QUOTE]

I agree. Am so glad we didnt bring him back to LSU. Hes a good coach but not worth the money LSU almost spent.

ElKabong
11-30-2017, 03:02 AM
DaHoss, can we interest you in tom Herman? The buyout is only 20million. :)

LSU did the right thing last year. O isn't the answer maybe, but keeping Aranda was a huge get. If O doesn't work out LSU didn't break the bank on him, kept their powder dry until the right hire comes along.

My guess is Sumlin ends up at Arizona state. Just a guess. If they pass him, Oregon state maybe.

Dahoss2002
11-30-2017, 11:08 AM
DaHoss, can we interest you in tom Herman? The buyout is only 20million. :)

LSU did the right thing last year. O isn't the answer maybe, but keeping Aranda was a huge get. If O doesn't work out LSU didn't break the bank on him, kept their powder dry until the right hire comes along.

My guess is Sumlin ends up at Arizona state. Just a guess. If they pass him, Oregon state maybe.

Spot on....And LSU didn't get in a bidding war with Texas for Herman which probably saved UT a million or so. Herman appears to have Texas pointed in the right direction. See what kinda recruiting class he gets this year.

barahona44
11-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Speaking of people named Herman, it is being reported that ex -Jets and Chiefs head coach, Herm Edwards is expected to be named the next head coach at Arizona State.

https://clutchpoints.com/herm-edwards-expected-to-become-next-head-coach-for-arizona-state/

kingfin66
11-30-2017, 01:17 PM
Did ASU fire Graham?

barahona44
11-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Did ASU fire Graham?

Might be a little awkward if he wasn't. :)

PhantomOnTour
11-30-2017, 03:23 PM
I'm surprised Les Miles' name hasn't been thrown about for these high profile jobs. Is he retired?
Yeah, he's weird and crazy and unpredictable, but he recruits with the best of them and he WINS.

ElKabong
11-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Did ASU fire Graham?

That slipped by me too. I saw it on horn fans yesterday but didn't know it was confirmed

He's kind of a sleazy sort (DFW local guy) but he put some discipline back into that program. I'm surprised they let him go.... Otoh, he absolutely can rub some folks the wrong way...

ElKabong
11-30-2017, 09:36 PM
Spot on....And LSU didn't get in a bidding war with Texas for Herman which probably saved UT a million or so. Herman appears to have Texas pointed in the right direction. See what kinda recruiting class he gets this year.

He's not going to cut in Austin, DaHoss. Same problems Charlie had. Kids are leaving the program in droves, poor in game decisions, only difference is Herman will point the finger at players for losses. Most orangebloods are pretty sure he won't see a fourth year here

We have a severe shortage on the o line, I think we're down to ten bodies on campus. Two of which are starting underclass men, word is they're quitting after the bowl game. When a returning starter quits, that tells you things aren't right. When two on the same (depleted) unit quit, it's really bad.

Dahoss2002
12-01-2017, 04:41 AM
I did not know it was that bad. I really only watched the OU game and the Horns looked competitive against the Sooners. That game is always tough to gauge because of the rivalry factor though.

kingfin66
12-01-2017, 09:56 AM
The latest rumors are that Tennessee is trying to hire Mike Leach away from Washington State. This one hits close to home for me as Wazzu is the team I cheer for. Leach has done a great job in getting them back on track. There were some down years after Mike Price left.

rastajenk
12-01-2017, 12:31 PM
Most orangebloods are pretty sure he won't see a fourth year here.
That seems like a pretty quick turn-around. I thought they were very happy with the selection when it happened.

kingfin66
12-01-2017, 10:38 PM
This is almost too amazing to be true. It also shows what a dick Lane Kiffin is. I always knew that and I'm sure that everybody else did too.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/tennessee-timeline-coaching-search-john-currie-greg-schiano-clay-travis-mike-gundy/1f1qsysgl9vwa14s8nvcumvj4e

Lemon Drop Husker
12-02-2017, 10:57 AM
Very satisfying to know that Scott Frost will be the next coach at Nebraska.

Especially after 10+ years of jabs from the media that we are a dead program, including some in this very thread.

We'll likely never get back to our run in the early/mid-90s, but I'd love to get back to our mid-70s/80s in which we won some conference titles and were a tough out for just about anybody. :jump:

ElKabong
12-02-2017, 12:14 PM
This is almost too amazing to be true. It also shows what a dick Lane Kiffin is. I always knew that and I'm sure that everybody else did too.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/tennessee-timeline-coaching-search-john-currie-greg-schiano-clay-travis-mike-gundy/1f1qsysgl9vwa14s8nvcumvj4e

Kingfin, is that really Kiffen's account? Just asking...I agree he's a tool, but this is the kind of tweet stuff that some UT fan did under "CharlieF'nStrong" handle. He'd needle other coaches, and ou of course. It was all in fun and the "real" Charlie Strong had his own account.

Fulmer doesn't come across well in this mess. As the days go by it appears he's been behind the scenes mucking things up

jay68802
12-02-2017, 12:20 PM

Especially after 10+ years of jabs from the media that we are a dead program, including some in this very thread.

We'll likely never get back to our run in the early/mid-90s, but I'd love to get back to our mid-70s/80s in which we won some conference titles and were a tough out for just about anybody. :jump:

:ThmbUp::jump:

kingfin66
12-02-2017, 03:32 PM
Kingfin, is that really Kiffen's account? Just asking...I agree he's a tool, but this is the kind of tweet stuff that some UT fan did under "CharlieF'nStrong" handle. He'd needle other coaches, and ou of course. It was all in fun and the "real" Charlie Strong had his own account.

Fulmer doesn't come across well in this mess. As the days go by it appears he's been behind the scenes mucking things up

Given the nature of the tweets, and that they are coming from a well-known (infamous?) college head coach, I can understand why a rational person would suspect that it is not really his account. I am very sorry to have to confirm that it is. I wonder if he is aware, or cares, that this is the type of thing that could prevent a coach from getting promoted to a "big time" coaching job. I did find the Kim Jong Un tweet to be pretty funny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/cusa/2017/11/30/being-lane-kiffin-irreverent-fun-twitter-winning-games-florida-atlantic/908826001/

kingfin66
12-02-2017, 03:40 PM

I am very happy to see that Frost was chosen to be the next head coach at Nebraska. Expectations have always been high at Nebraska, which is totally understandable given the high bar set by excellent coaches Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne. That is probably about the best 35-year run ever in college football. Since that time, Nebraska has made some questionable coaching hires; Solich (well, he was actually pretty good for a while), Callahan, Pellini and Riley. Riley was a good guy and the anti-Pellini, but he had never really done anything exceptional as a coach. Expectations will be high for Frost as well, but the fan base will likely give him some time to shine given who he is, where the program is, and the coaches that have been there between he and Osborne. I will be rooting for his success. He seems like a good coach, a great person, and he embodies the Husker spirit. It must be a great day to be a Husker!

ElKabong
12-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Given the nature of the tweets, and that they are coming from a well-known (infamous?) college head coach, I can understand why a rational person would suspect that it is not really his account. I am very sorry to have to confirm that it is. I wonder if he is aware, or cares, that this is the type of thing that could prevent a coach from getting promoted to a "big time" coaching job. I did find the Kim Jong Un tweet to be pretty funny.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/cusa/2017/11/30/being-lane-kiffin-irreverent-fun-twitter-winning-games-florida-atlantic/908826001/

Thank you for the info, much appreciated. Hard to fathom

from all I gather elsewhere as well, it really is him. Incredible. He is well aware of the circumstances, no doubt about it. I think he'll stay put at FAU for awhile, then a few yrs down the road people will forgive and forget (it IS college football afterall ;)

ElKabong
12-04-2017, 01:52 AM
Just saw herm Edwards has been hired as HC at Arizona St. What a terrible hire. I can see him juicing the program for a year, but he's old and I doubt recruiting will be something he'd want to do year round (needed, to be successful). I thought Sumlin would be a great fit there.