PDA

View Full Version : Maybe it's just me....

PaceAdvantage
08-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Maybe I'm letting my pro-Bush side get the best of me, but I find this article troubling and quite one sided, especially when within the article the author grudgingly points out that John Kerry and his people conduct campaign stops in a very SIMILAR manner (ie. excluding those folks who oppose their candidacy)

So, I ask those who might be a bit more neutral than myself (especially those in the journalism field, like our old friend Andicap), is the following article written in a fair and balanced way, or does it smack of bias and one sidedness - especially considering the source -- AP :

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040816/ap_on_el_pr/bush_preaching_to_the_choir

Lance
08-16-2004, 06:29 PM
How do you know the author points it out "grudgingly"? One of the sources, Nedra Pickler, is well known for being hated by Democrats. I think your frustration with a few of the liberal posters here has led you to push too hard in the direction opposite theirs.

Tom
08-16-2004, 06:36 PM
Smacks of bias to me. What was the agenda of the story?
Andi? Of all people, you will be fair and balanced (LOL-couldn't resist) in your critique of this. You get paid to write, we do it for kicks and giggles.:eek:

chickenhead
08-16-2004, 06:44 PM
I think it is biased in the sense they hint that Bush's way is a negative while Kerry's is a positive.

But they do mention why the campaigns are handling things differently....Bush is energizing his base, Kerry is trying to make converts. Kerry is probably also just hoping people show up, he'll take anyone.

I think it is a typical poorly written article, that in the end doesn't have much of a point to it.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Lance
How do you know the author points it out "grudgingly"? One of the sources, Nedra Pickler, is well known for being hated by Democrats. I think your frustration with a few of the liberal posters here has led you to push too hard in the direction opposite theirs.

I say grudgingly because I get the sense that Kerry "at times" does the same exact thing that the author is criticizing the Bush camp for doing (stacking the deck), yet the author basically gives Kerry a pass in one or two paragraphs, while writing an entire article about Bush's people and the way they fill an audience.

However Lance, your last sentence above probably has a lot of truth to it, as I have readily admitted on this board that the anti-Bush folks have only made my support for the President grow stronger. Kind of an odd statement I know, but I guess it's only odd if you believe everything coming out of that side of the aisle.

Buckeye
08-17-2004, 01:54 AM
The article is clearly critical of the way Bush is campaigning vs. Kerry. Biased against Bush. Kerry is doing everything right and Bush is doing everything wrong. I'd say that's biased.

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2004, 01:56 PM
The article is as balanced as it could be, especially pointing out that Kerry is going for the undecided, Bush for the base.
"Passionate Bush supporters"?