PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct: Thursday, November 9

Teach
11-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Race One:

In this 6-panels 25k claimer, n2L, I’m picking the 8-1 M/L longshot: :6: SON OF MINE. This 3 year-old Mineshaft-bred bay colt went for a cool 210k at the March Ocala Breeders’ Sales. Thus far, however, there’s has been very little to show in the way of return. In fact this A.P. Indy-bred’s only win came on the lawn down in Laurel. Yet this colt’s last against weaker proved he can handle the main; he was a closing 3rd at 4-1 in that one, that despite hesitating at the start. Let me state that although I don’t know this colt’s jock (he’s probably a fine young man), the apprentice Hector Diaz, Jr., I do, quite candidly, have reservations. Diaz, a cousin of the Ortiz brothers, started out quite well as a new “bug” less than one year ago. Yet, with a few exceptions, I haven’t seen him take his skills to the next level. Yet, that can change. I believe this Dynaformer-bred colt can surprise with proper handling. Linda Rice (I sit up and take notice when Linda is listed as the trainer) is this colt’s conditioner. Others: :7:, :2:, :1:

Race Two:

In this OC allowance turf route (I’m assuming it’ll be run on the grass), n2x, I’m picking: :6: VAGABOND. This “Shug” McGaughey trainee won her last about 2-months ago at the opening of the Belmont meet. This 4-year old Arch-bred bay filly (I like turf horses with Rahy breeding) came 7-wide at the top of the stretch to gain the victory against allowance company. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride. I should note the “Shug” does very well with horses that have been on the shelf. I will also mention that I like the fact that McGaughey has worked this horse on Belmont’s turf course. Others: :1:, :4:, :3:

Race Three:

In this state-bred MSW sprint I’m picking: :6: MOONDANCE. First, this filly’s connections paid 800k for this Malibu Moon-bred at Fasig-Tipton. In this A.P. Indy-bred’s first start up at “The Spa” last year this 3-year old finished a city-block behind the rest of the field; in that one, she went off as the favorite at slightly less than 3-1. Her second try came about one year ago at “The Big A” (she finished 3rd). In her only start this year at 7 panels (all her races have been at the seven-furlongs distance) at Belmont about one month ago, she finished 2nd on a sloppy track (her pedigree indicates she should have moved up on a wet track). I don’t see much wetness, today; yet, I believe this filly is ready to take a step forward. The Hall-of-Famer, Johnny V., is in the irons for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. Others: :1:/:1a:, :4:, :5:

Race Four:

In this state-bred MSW turf sprint, I’m going to “take a walk on the wild side” with my selection: :9: CHARGE LATOUCHE. Before you say: “Abuelo Loco,” hear me out. I know. I know. This lightly-raced Southern Halo-bred 5-year old gelding has shown little in his five pari-mutuel tries. I mean: Nada! Gornished! Nihil (indeclinable). Yet, hark. I’m lookin’ back at this gelding’s first turf race, his second pari-mutuel start; he finished a closing 4th in that one in this same MSW company. Worth a look on the track and also on the tote… You bet your dupa! Mike Dickinson trains; Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: :5:, :7:, :3:

Race Five:

In the 7-furlongs allowance, I’m picking: :4: HONOR WAY. Danny Gargan (I always associate his name with Midwest Thoroughbreds) trains this Caleb’s Posse-bred 3-year old bay filly. Gargan has outstanding numbers both with horses entered 2nd after a claim and beaten favorites. This Posse-bred ran into all kinds of trouble in her last. She started out by brushing the gate. Then, she was “herded”. Yet, this Yes It’s True-bred finished a skinny nose behind the winner as the 3-to-2 favorite. A chance to make amends. “The Louisiana Kid,” “The king of Philadelphia,” Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons. Others: :2:, :5:, :6:

Race Six:

In this turf-allowance route, I’m picking: :6: PATRIOT DRIVE. I ask: “Can the Gargan-Carmouche combo go back to back?” I believe the answer is: “Yes!” This 3 year-old chestnut gelding is cutting back an “itsy-bitsy, teeny-weeny” (Yellow polka-dot bikini). Pardon my levity. And yes, that can make all the difference in the world. I’m alluding to the fact that this Majestic Warrior-bred is cutting back one-half panel of his last start, a race in which he finished 2nd. The reduced real estate I believe, gives this A.P. Indy-bred an improved chance of getting his picture taken. If the aforementioned Carmouche can “put this field to sleep” on the front end…? Well, a trip to the winner’s circle is in order. Oh, the broodmare, Just Fabulous, had 3 winners from 3 starters and 1 turf winner. Others: :2:, :10:, :7:.

Race Seven:

Back on the main for a state-bred allowance route, n1x. My selection is: :5: BOURBON EMPIRE. This Majestic Warrior 3-year old bay gelding won at first asking last year about this time at Belmont. However, alack and alas, this A.P. Indy-bred has failed to grace the winner’s circle since his auspicious beginning. Oh, this grey gelding has been entered against some tough New York state-bred company; that includes 3rd-place finishes in The Notebook and The Gander. I believe this Smart Strike-bred is, once again, in a position to get his picture taken. Mark Hennig trains. The Panamanian-born, Jose Lezcano, is in the irons. Others: :8:, :3:, :6:

Race Eight:

In this OC route, I’m picking: :8: PARADE. I’m impressed with this Tapit (Pulpit)-bred grey filly’s array of races. She’s been competitive in all her races with the exception of her first pari-mutuel start, a turf route. Since that failed first try, this filly has hit the tote in all her subsequent races. She won her last about one month ago at Belmont as the 6/5 favorite. “Shug” McGaughey trains this daughter of On Parade. Dylan Davis reprises the ride. Oh, a recent :48.2 4-panels morning-work bolsters confidence. Others: :2:, :4:, :7:

Race Nine:

In the finale, a one-mile 40k MC route, I’m picking: :12: AE, HERECOMES YOURMAN. If this 3-year-old Distorted Humor-bred grey gelding draws in, I believe he’s the horse to beat. This Forty Niner-bred has had two 2nds out of three tries in this company. Prior to that, this gelding faced better. Tony Dutrow trains this Seattle Slew bred. Dutrow does very well with both the sprint-to-route and beaten favorite categories. Joel Rosario reprises the ride. My only concern is that there are no published works since this gelding’s last race a few weeks ago. Others: :2:, :8:, :6:, :4: