PDA

View Full Version : Who is this Demling guy and why do they lie so blatantly about him?

LemonSoupKid
11-08-2017, 11:25 AM
This post isn't to bash anyone, just to try to understand why CBS hosts a total tout (sportsline) service which claims that Jody Demling has "picked 9 straight Oaks-Derby doubles".

First of all, knowing how hard it is to even pick the Derby, which I've been pretty solid at, no way anyone has 9 in a row of just the Kentucky Derby. Let alone the Oaks and Derby Double. Does the guy bet 20 tickets a year? :D

For all I know, he might be a sound handicapper, but I can't believe anyone has the nerve to claim that, when everyone knows it can't possibly be true.

I originally saw those CBS pages last year when I was searching for "picks" to see if anyone had undercard selections on big race days.

Inner Dirt
11-08-2017, 11:55 AM
Probably like I remember when I first went to the track in the 70's the tip sheet sellers would claim a win if any of their 3 selections a race won. "We had 5 winners yesterday", sounds a lot better than saying "18.5% of our picks won." I would be curious if the tip sheet barkers are still at the lower level tracks in an era where so much data is available for download.

lamboguy
11-08-2017, 12:29 PM
i don't know this Demling character, but Keving Duffy goes 7-0 every week in pro football and has never had a loser, and that was documented right in the New York Daily News.

LemonSoupKid
11-08-2017, 02:12 PM
i don't know this Demling character, but Keving Duffy goes 7-0 every week in pro football and has never had a loser, and that was documented right in the New York Daily News.

Documented by the old 50-50 trick for 7 weeks, in which after 1000 people call in, 7 have gone 7-0, lol

A mentalist in the UK did this for a horse racing special, I recall a woman of African descent was told the exact method it was to get her 5 in a row (or 7 like the above, whatever it was). She didn't believe that she was either that lucky to be selected, or that it could happen --- how ironic. She risked the next bet and lost, which was actually funny. She actually believed in some cosmic hot hand even after being told why it all happened.

green80
11-08-2017, 05:15 PM
These guys prey on the weak. They are no better than a one dollar tipsheet. If they are any good they would just bet their picks and not have to work at a tout service or handicapping show.

rrpic6
11-08-2017, 06:11 PM
These guys prey on the weak. They are no better than a one dollar tipsheet. If they are any good they would just bet their picks and not have to work at a tout service or handicapping show.

I actually do a one dollar tipsheet at Mahoning Valley Race Course. And i do bet my own picks considering I spend about 2 1/2 hours preparing it for each live race day. It's more of a service to the regulars there. Nothing nefarious or shady about my motives. I do get a kick out of one table of guys that buy 1 sheet and pass it around to a total of 10 guys. Today only 5 showed up so they had to pitch in an extra dime apiece! BTW, I only count my top 2 choices in my stats. Averaging 30% winner for top choice and 50% for top 2 in last 3 years there.

RR

green80
11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
I actually do a one dollar tipsheet at Mahoning Valley Race Course. And i do bet my own picks considering I spend about 2 1/2 hours preparing it for each live race day. It's more of a service to the regulars there. Nothing nefarious or shady about my motives. I do get a kick out of one table of guys that buy 1 sheet and pass it around to a total of 10 guys. Today only 5 showed up so they had to pitch in an extra dime apiece! BTW, I only count my top 2 choices in my stats. Averaging 30% winner for top choice and 50% for top 2 in last 3 years there.

RR

Don't take me wrong, I'm not knocking the tipsheet writers, I used to publish one myself at La Downs. If you published your record I'm sure it would be accurate and absent of any ridiculous claims. It's these TV and internet touts that never lose that gets me, and they charge a lot more than a few dollars. BTW, 30% top winners and 50% top 2 betting every race is quite a feat in itself.

Parson
11-09-2017, 10:16 PM
Jody is a local radio host on a sport talk station. He has done very well but I think if I remember correctly, he is 2 deep in the oaks and is 5 to 8 deep in the derby. I generally do well myself with that bet not 9 years in a row though

thaskalos
11-10-2017, 04:16 AM
Why would anyone want to bet on someone else's losers...even if those picks are FREE?

headhawg
11-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Why would anyone want to bet on someone else's losers...even if those picks are FREE?I know your question was rhetorical but...

Most handicappers don't to want to put in the requisite amount of work needed to be some degree of successful.
They want something (someone) to blame for their losses.

LemonSoupKid
11-10-2017, 09:37 AM
I know your question was rhetorical but...

Most handicappers don't to want to put in the requisite amount of work needed to be some degree of successful.

:ThmbUp:

metro
11-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Living in Louisville I hear Jody a lot on the radio and can honestly say I rarely hear him talk about horse racing, he mainly covers the local University of Louisville sports teams.

HuggingTheRail
11-10-2017, 10:30 PM
I've never lost the Oaks/Derby double

thaskalos
11-11-2017, 01:05 AM

1) The player who refuses to put in the necessary work to improve his play does not deserve to be called a "handicapper". He is a SUCKER!

2) What good does it do if I have "someone to blame"...when I am the one who dishes out the cash?

Of course my question was rhetorical; I know full-well why players insist on betting their money on the picks of others. They aren't even smart enough to realize that they'd be much better off at the roulette wheel.

reckless
11-11-2017, 05:30 AM
Why would anyone want to bet on someone else's losers...even if those picks are FREE?

The price is right ... ?

Inner Dirt
11-11-2017, 07:44 AM
I've never lost the Oaks/Derby double

Neither have I, but I never played it:lol:. After not cashing a ticket all derby weekend at Churchill Downs in person almost 20 years ago I never made another bet on their races.

rrpic6
11-11-2017, 09:25 AM

While working at the Keeneland Fall meet, I did blame a nice TVG host for mentioning to me that a prominent So Cal Trainer liked his 1st time starter at Santa Anita that day. That Trainer was at Keeneland for the feature race. The host, his wife and myself each lost $20 on the nag. :)

RR

LemonSoupKid
11-13-2017, 08:17 PM
1) The player who refuses to put in the necessary work to improve his play does not deserve to be called a "handicapper". He is a SUCKER!

2) What good does it do if I have "someone to blame"...when I am the one who dishes out the cash?

Of course my question was rhetorical; I know full-well why players insist on betting their money on the picks of others. They aren't even smart enough to realize that they'd be much better off at the roulette wheel.

You're proving his statement with a few more words. No one said what pick buyers or tout followers are smart.

Afleet
11-13-2017, 11:27 PM

I always like getting something for free

Afleet
11-13-2017, 11:30 PM

RR

Doesn't seem like there is a lot of money in that. Never been to Mahoning Valley and not sure I have ever even seen a race at the OTB. Not sure where it is in Ohio, too lazy to look it up, but will buy one of your sheets if I ever go there.

Afleet
11-13-2017, 11:33 PM
The price is right ... ?

:D I didn't see this post when I responded

rrpic6
11-14-2017, 09:34 AM
Doesn't seem like there is a lot of money in that. Never been to Mahoning Valley and not sure I have ever even seen a race at the OTB. Not sure where it is in Ohio, too lazy to look it up, but will buy one of your sheets if I ever go there.

True, not much money but basically a customer service thing. I did give out a $52.40 winner in Race 6 yesterday as my 2nd choice in that race. Plus a $68.80 Exacta if you boxed the top 2 picks in Race 7. Worth a buck I think!

RR

green80
11-14-2017, 10:13 AM
True, not much money but basically a customer service thing. I did give out a $52.40 winner in Race 6 yesterday as my 2nd choice in that race. Plus a $68.80 Exacta if you boxed the top 2 picks in Race 7. Worth a buck I think!

RR

The occasional race goer without handicapping skills would be much better off following your tipsheet rather than trying to wing it using whatever method they come up with.