PDA

View Full Version : Roger Stein slammed by TVG

JustRalph
08-16-2004, 03:52 AM
Anybody see the bit TVG did on Stein on Saturday?

It was payback time in my opine. Just wondered how many caught it? It was ruthless.............all in the guise of rooting for him. Then his horse fades so bad in the stretch it was embarrassing...........anybody else catch it?

Hosshead
08-16-2004, 04:14 AM
Ralph, Didn't see it. What did you mean "payback time". Was there something going on between Roger Stein vs. TVG before this? What did they say about him?

blind squirrel
08-16-2004, 05:47 AM
this has been going on for a while.STEIN
has been ripping TVG'S on air TALENT"on
his radio show.

he's gone out of his way to rip SCHRUPP,
RUDOLPH and even took a shot at TVG
excecutive TONY OLIVATO.....it's getting
ugly!

JustRalph
08-16-2004, 09:41 AM
He said Shcrupp "the so called king of the two year olds" should not be proud of the moniker. He implied child abuse. Stein has gone after them as posted above.

So on Saturday, Stein has a horse running at Del Mar that is going off the 5/2 fav or so. They posted a graphic about how Stein is 0-57 or such. They did an entire work up on the trainer stats as if he was Frankel or Baffert. The only problem was, all the stats were horrible. the guy hasn't won a race in 13 months. They had graphics etc showing all the crappy stats. Matt Carrothers was commenting on how Stein's horse was "probably going to win" to get him off the losing streak etc. Big drop in class .......Then the horse faded badly. They didn't go back to an updated graphic, which is what I expected them to do. I guess they have to save some for next time he runs.............

cj
08-16-2004, 09:47 AM
I have no problem with TVG defending themselves. I actually think its pretty hilarious that an 0-58 trainer would take shots at anyone.

DJofSD
08-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Stein is a blow hard with an ego as big as he is.

I still don't know what happened to his radio program when he used to be on XTRA here in So. CA. He's now on some 5th rate station in LA and I can't get the signal.

DJofSD

Speed Figure
08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I was so happy! His nothing but a SORRY A$$. He was back at it the next day!.

http://www.rogerstein.com/radio/archive.asp

Light
08-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Stien may suck as a handicapper but I agree with his opinion of the talent. "Todd" is the only acceptable handicapper. After a race they all hindsight about how the winning horse, (none of them even mentioned before a race) was a respectable candidate. Their pk4 tickets at DMR yesterday were a joke as they spread out in the first leg where an obvious favorite looked like a single,(at least to me)and then they single a very questionable Pico Central who'd been on the shelf for months. Amateur.

Most of the time they don't seem to have a clue of who'll win and just take the 2 chalks.Wow,what insight.I would also like to see more "talent" on the show.

Speed Figure
08-16-2004, 11:54 AM
Your calling Todd the only acceptable handicapper, He's the biggest joke on the air. His pick 4 ticket's NEVER HIT. He could spend $200 or $300 and still would not hit one. That's why they told him his ticket must be no more than $50 because it looks better you loss $50 than to keep losing those big ticket's.

delayjf
08-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I still recall when he told his radio audience not to bet two of his horses. Both won at long odds.

superfecta
08-16-2004, 03:29 PM
you guys knockin TVG talent should watch the stiffs they have on HRTV.I was excited when I heard Dish network picked the signal up,now I couldnt care less.TVG talent does hit their share of tickets,Ive seen Todd hit a pick four,Matt has hit a couple of big tickets and the other have some abilities as far as making picks.And they seem to like having a good time.Like when they rib that fat guy named the sarge,even when he winsor when Todd decides to run with the Arabians.Or when Ken calls the UPN network the UnderPaid Negro network.

Speed Figure
08-16-2004, 03:59 PM
I love TVG and I think todd is a great host. I just don't think he's a great handicapper like he makes him self out to be. I love the fact that they make things fun. When I go to hollywood park I always go bye where they are to say what's up. They are all nice guys.

JimG
08-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Regarding TVG talent and their handicapping:

Matt C. hit 2 pick 6's with his picks in the same week....played them...was disappointed in the payoffs and now rarely shares his pick 6 ticket with the viewers.

I have seen Todd hit several pick 3's and pick 4's. I believe he and Frank Lyons split a lot of bets. Hard to say if they are winners or losers, but they seem more knowledgeable than many I have encountered at the track.

I enjoy most of the on air hosts...Priscilla, Corey B, and Chris K., the exception to that. I think most people that complain about the broadcast want the track feed, which is available over the internet with broadband for most tracks with a wagering account. A silent track feed will not draw any new people into the sport and is unrealistic to expect any network to go in that direction.

Jim

Speed Figure
08-16-2004, 05:55 PM
With all this talk about todd, he should be hot today.:eek:

Tom
08-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Stein was talking about it Sunday, but the tape of the live show was so horribly done, I couldn't hear too much and finally had to just stop it - worst quality replay I ever heard.
Stein is pretty much no thappy with TVG I gather, but to liken King of the Two Year olds to child abuse just shows a simple studpitiy on his part.

Light
08-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Jim G said

Matt C. hit 2 pick 6's with his picks in the same week....played them..

Well that's news to me. I've only has TVG about a month and so far consider Matt pretty useless. Then I heard him admit that he was a beginner and hasn't played that long so I excuse him but ignore his picks.

However one thing I do like about TVG is that despite their HandiCrapping,which goes on about 90% of the time,they do come up with occasional interesting insights,interviews, and not so prevalent information that makes up for what they lack.

Zaf
08-16-2004, 07:32 PM
Stein is a funny guy, his show is very entertaining, BUT he is not a great T-Bred trainer. He should go back to his roots, Harness.

ZAFONIC

JustRalph
08-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Light
Jim G said

Well that's news to me. I've only has TVG about a month and so far consider Matt pretty useless. Then I heard him admit that he was a beginner and hasn't played that long so I excuse him but ignore his picks.

Now that is funny.........Matt will do that sometimes. He is "THE BEST CAPPER THEY HAVE" when he is having a bad day or week he likes to say "I am new to the game" it is total crap. His Dad is one hell of a capper too............

JimG
08-16-2004, 08:40 PM
And, TODAY Frank Lyons puts out a $1 Pick 4 ticket for a total of $50.

It wins and pays $1016.

Jim

JimG
08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Light
Jim G said

However one thing I do like about TVG is that despite their HandiCrapping,which goes on about 90% of the time,they do come up with occasional interesting insights,interviews, and not so prevalent information that makes up for what they lack.

Glad I could give you some news. Matt Carrouthers had been playing horses for about 20 years. His father, Gibson Carrouthers is a noted player as well. Maybe your thinking of somebody else? or maybe the mute button was on.

Jim

Speed Figure
08-16-2004, 08:42 PM
I said nothing about frank, he's a very good handicapper!;)

Light
08-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Blind Squirrel posted this on the other TVG thread:

FRANK LYONS{former trainer,won BREEDERS
CUP RACE}has a good eye for pedigree.

I turned the TVG on just when Frank was talking about how he singled the #8 on the Turf in his $50.00 pk4 ticket.. Remembering Blind Squirrel's message I bet the horse. That was impressive. It's the first noteworthy hit I've seen Frank hit so maybe he is better when breeding is more of an issue.

You guys say Matt's been playing for years. He's yet to impress me,that's why I believed him when he said he was a beginner.

Todd impressed me a couple of weeks ago raving about a 7-1 shot a Dmr like he really knew something and the horse did win. I think he is the best because he seems more consistent than the others.

Pace Cap'n
08-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Matt likes to pick the price horses. He's pretty good at it.

cj
08-17-2004, 02:55 AM
From the TVG guys, all I would ask for is entertainment. If anything, I don't want them picking the horse I like. Who cares how many winners they pick? Are people really looking to these guys for selections? If you are, I'd find a new game.

superfecta
08-17-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
From the TVG guys, all I would ask for is entertainment. If anything, I don't want them picking the horse I like. Who cares how many winners they pick? Are people really looking to these guys for selections? If you are, I'd find a new game. well if frank is handing out 1000 bills for 50 bucks I'd think I'd at least listen to his opinion.(hes been getting pretty good prices for his picks for the last couple of weeks,so maybe he was due to put it all together)
that new sidekick Rhonda Collins is a hoot,been watching all nite,pretty interesting features and chatter.

kingfin66
08-17-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by JimG
Glad I could give you some news. Matt Carrouthers had been playing horses for about 20 years. His father, Gibson Carrouthers is a noted player as well. Maybe your thinking of somebody else? or maybe the mute button was on.

Jim

Was Matt's father featured in a book? If I recall, I was flipping through the book and saw a chapter about a guy that specializes in hitting Pick 6's at Canterbury. The name Gibson Carrouthers sounds awfully familiar.

JustRalph
08-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by kingfin66
Was Matt's father featured in a book? If I recall, I was flipping through the book and saw a chapter about a guy that specializes in hitting Pick 6's at Canterbury. The name Gibson Carrouthers sounds awfully familiar.

that's him.......... I hit a 71 dollar horse at Hollywood early in the last meet.......was patting myself on the back pretty good. Then I got an email from a guy at TVG the next day that said that Gibson Carruthers cashed on the pick 4 (with the $71 horse) that day for big dollars (forget how much, but it was a nice score) and he had singled the $71 dollar horse on the ticket..............

Tom
08-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Gibson did a presentation for the Handicpping Expo proir to this one-about hitting longshots. I bought the tape and it was very well presented.

Valuist
08-19-2004, 09:59 AM
I love playing P3s and P4s, but I question the point of singling a $71 horse when you can bet it to win. He probably had a win saver but I would guess he probably put the bulk of his investment in the P6.

I remember visiting Canterbury in the early 90s and the weekend I was up there, somebody hit a record Pic 6. They said in the paper the winner threw the ticket away. They got permission from Canterbury management to go thru all the garbage. They brought two carloads of garbage home to rummage thru and found it. I wonder if it was the Carruthers.