PDA

View Full Version : breeders cup classic call

sour grapes
11-05-2017, 08:38 AM
just saw it on bloodhorse,i dont understand why nbc goes to larry collmus when trevor Denman is doing the track feed.His call was head and shoulders better than collmus.Clear and consise while larry goes for his over the top screaming antics.An example would be trevor saying arrogate was done with 3/8ths left and collmus calling him making a move.I like larry collmus as the everyday announcer at nyra but he seems to try and take the spotlight on the nbc telecasts and should go back to what makes him a good caller.

thaskalos
11-05-2017, 08:44 AM
When Larry Collmus goes on...my TV volume goes off.

Mc990
11-05-2017, 09:35 AM
just saw it on bloodhorse,i dont understand why nbc goes to larry collmus when trevor Denman is doing the track feed.His call was head and shoulders better than collmus.Clear and consise while larry goes for his over the top screaming antics.An example would be trevor saying arrogate was done with 3/8ths left and collmus calling him making a move.I like larry collmus as the everyday announcer at nyra but he seems to try and take the spotlight on the nbc telecasts and should go back to what makes him a good caller.

Agree 100%. It's a sad state of affairs when this is the voice of our premier racing days... Makes me yearn for the days of Durkin. His big race calls would occasionally give me chills... Collmus just makes me cringe

upthecreek
11-05-2017, 10:04 AM
Did anyone notice most of the day, you could hear Trevor's muffled call in the background as Collmus was calling it on NBCSN? Annoying

dilanesp
11-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Did anyone notice most of the day, you could hear Trevor's muffled call in the background as Collmus was calling it on NBCSN? Annoying

Well thankfully networks don't order PA systems turned down at big events anymore. They actually used to. Even happened at the 1986 Breeders Cup.

camourous
11-05-2017, 10:11 AM
When Larry Collmus goes on...my TV volume goes off.

Same here, races to on mute when he is calling

cj
11-05-2017, 10:13 AM
Same here, races to on mute when he is calling

1990 Trevor was fine. He isn't very god right now.

thaskalos
11-05-2017, 10:19 AM
1990 Trevor was fine. He isn't very god right now.

It's better to be a "has-been", than a "never-was".

upthecreek
11-05-2017, 10:23 AM
If this was a Tweet, I'd hit the "like" button👍

cj
11-05-2017, 11:04 AM

I'm not going to argue about Larry since he is a good friend. I'm obviously biased. But Trevor is who I heard on track all weekend and in my opinion he was terrible. They even brought in a second announcer to handle post parades, finish positions, etc. All Trevor had to do was the races, nothing else at all.

upthecreek
11-05-2017, 11:09 AM
I'm not going to argue about Larry since he is a good friend. I'm obviously biased. But Trevor is who I heard on track all weekend and in my opinion he was terrible. They even brought in a second announcer to handle post parades, finish positions, etc. All Trevor had to do was the races, nothing else at all.

I'm not a LC fan but I thought during the summer meet, Trevor seemed off his game

JohnGalt1
11-05-2017, 11:58 AM
I think Larry was better years ago. He has a mellow voice which I think is good for listening.

Now he too often screams his calls and, he pops the mike, at GP and Belmont which is very irritating. Popping the mike is stressing the p's too close to the microphone.

cj
11-05-2017, 12:11 PM
I think Larry was better years ago. He has a mellow voice which I think is good for listening.

Now he too often screams his calls and, he pops the mike, at GP and Belmont which is very irritating. Popping the mike is stressing the p's too close to the microphone.

He's been gone from Gulfstream for a while now.

Secondbest
11-05-2017, 12:24 PM
I still miss Fred Capossela

cj
11-05-2017, 12:25 PM
This is one example of many gaffes from Trevor. "They come into the top of the lane"...they were, at best, halfway through the turn. He is so busy trying to get all his catch phrases in he loses track of what is going on. He mispronounces horses names. He calls horses (Practical Joke, Awesome Slew in this race) like they are going to make huge moves that don't do a thing. He is always trying to say if the pace is fast or slow and he is pretty clueless on that. Just tell us what is happening, not what he thinks might happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDOSBx5J_g&pbjreload=10

RunForTheRoses
11-05-2017, 12:40 PM
This is one example of many gaffes from Trevor. "They come into the top of the lane"...they were, at best, halfway through the turn. He is so busy trying to get all his catch phrases in he loses track of what is going on. He mispronounces horses names. He calls horses (Practical Joke, Awesome Slew in this race) like they are going to make huge moves that don't do a thing. He is always trying to say if the pace is fast or slow and he is pretty clueless on that. Just tell us what is happening, not what he thinks might happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNDOSBx5J_g&pbjreload=10

Trevor does have a catchphrase that will go down in history-Away they Go!.

I do remember seeing Larry after the Monmouth races at the Lady Secret Bar ca. 1999 and he seems like a real cool guy, very personable and no attitude.

dilanesp
11-05-2017, 01:44 PM

You are right about popping the mic. Positioning the mic is a lost art now- everyone sees rock stars who put their lips to the mic so they figure that's the proper way to do it.

GMB@BP
11-05-2017, 01:47 PM
I dont think any of these announces compare to Durkin or Trevor in their prime, actually its not even close.

Fager Fan
11-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I dont think any of these announces compare to Durkin or Trevor in their prime, actually its not even close.

I think Durkin was the best in my lifetime watching racing.

dilanesp
11-05-2017, 02:19 PM
Personally I don't understand what's so bad about any of them. Collmus is fine and NYRA is lucky to hsve him.

GMB@BP
11-05-2017, 06:50 PM
Personally I don't understand what's so bad about any of them. Collmus is fine and NYRA is lucky to hsve him.

When you are being compared to greatness its the standard that is the issue and not about anyone being "bad".

PaceAdvantage
11-06-2017, 04:05 PM
I think Durkin was the best in my lifetime watching racing.Agree 100%

A master of the craft. Hands down the best race caller of modern times.

Rex Phinney
11-06-2017, 04:49 PM
From an admitted Trevor Denman fanatic, I'd say Durkin was the best. With Trevor a nice second.

Collmus is, IMO, unbearable. I do not know how he can be totally boring and overly annoying at the same time, but he does it.

Milleruszk
11-06-2017, 09:07 PM
I still miss Fred Capossela

"It is now post time!" for those of you old enough to remember the staccato voice of Cappossela.

thaskalos
11-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Trevor first, Durkin second...and Wrona rounding out the trifecta.

GMB@BP
11-07-2017, 12:17 AM
When Trevor was money. This was the first big race I was at live, start at 56:00, not sure why its not clipping right.

https://youtu.be/NVbsU_1DQVg?t=55m37s

BrentT
11-07-2017, 01:57 AM
When Trevor was money. This was the first big race I was at live, start at 56:00, not sure why its not clipping right.

https://youtu.be/NVbsU_1DQVg?t=55m37s

The great Trevor Denman breakdown:
Great call, and on the money on everything. (This was like his Derby years)
He’s definitely one of the best to ever do it. (Definitely a Multiple Grade 1 winner)
However, he has lost a step. (He is now eligible for starter allowances)

depalma113
11-07-2017, 02:07 AM
Will never forgive Denman for his horrible call of the 2010 Classic.

castaway01
11-07-2017, 06:38 PM

As far as Denman, being 65 and calling a 12-horse field of horses he is largely unfamiliar with is not a good combination.

As far as Collmus, he's better at being laid back and I think he tries to crank it up the way Durkin did but it doesn't suit him. I don't think he's the disaster some here seem to or turn off the sound though.

exactatom
11-08-2017, 08:14 AM
I totally disagree, but note I am saying Larry is better than Trevor is vice versa.

NBC knows what it will get with Larry.

Trevor will allow his "West Coast Bias" to infiltrate the call. To support this thought, I give you the Breeder's Cup Classic in Louisville in which Trevor called Zenyatta's name over 30 times and called the winner Arch's name around 10 times. Notably more obvious given that Arch held the lead most of the race and most callers focus front to back of the pack instead of focusing on a horse lingering at the rear of the pack.

While Zenyatta was the fan favorite and he might have done this as the average American (notably the non horse racing fans that were watching that day) might have wanted to know every move of Zenyatta, it is by far the closest to homerism of a call in a big race that I can remember.

With 4 Baffert horses, Trevor's would have been on those horses and in a race in which NBC had done numerous features from many different angles to fill the day's broadcast, NBC needed someone who would have called the race more down the middle.

Spalding No!
11-08-2017, 08:46 AM
I totally disagree, but note I am saying Larry is better than Trevor is vice versa.

Trevor will allow his "West Coast Bias" to infiltrate the call. To support this thought, I give you the Breeder's Cup Classic in Louisville in which Trevor called Zenyatta's name over 30 times and called the winner Arch's name around 10 times. Notably more obvious given that Arch held the lead most of the race and most callers focus front to back of the pack instead of focusing on a horse lingering at the rear of the pack.

While Zenyatta was the fan favorite and he might have done this as the average American (notably the non horse racing fans that were watching that day) might have wanted to know every move of Zenyatta, it is by far the closest to homerism of a call in a big race that I can remember.

With 4 Baffert horses, Trevor's would have been on those horses and in a race in which NBC had done numerous features from many different angles to fill the day's broadcast, NBC needed someone who would have called the race more down the middle.
Arch beat one horse (Gentlemen--who was eased) in the BC Classic.

Spalding No!
11-08-2017, 08:51 AM
I thought "a classic in the Classic" was about as pathetic as it gets.

The worst gaffe he ever perpetrated was in the 2006 BC Juvenile, when he failed to spit out the name "Street Sense" even once until in the shadow of the wire wasting his time predicting bold runs from Circular Quay etc...Street Sense won the race by 10 lengths.

exactatom
11-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Sorry was thinking of Blame and typed his sire's name instead of his. I will edit my post.

exactatom
11-08-2017, 09:14 AM
I am reposting with the correct name of Blame instead of his sire Arch

Trevor will allow his "West Coast Bias" to infiltrate the call. To support this thought, I give you the Breeder's Cup Classic in Louisville in which Trevor called Zenyatta's name over 30 times and called the winner Blame's name around 10 times. Notably more obvious given that Blame held the lead most of the race and most callers focus front to back of the pack instead of focusing on a horse lingering at the rear of the pack.

onefast99
11-08-2017, 11:39 AM
one of the best race calls at MP when LC had the 2 wife horses, my wife knows everything and the wife doesn't know on 8-22-10 hysterical, and the famous fog call on 9-27-2008...he is still a good friend and a solid race caller.

dilanesp
11-08-2017, 12:51 PM
I thought "a classic in the Classic" was about as pathetic as it gets.

The worst gaffe he ever perpetrated was in the 2006 BC Juvenile, when he failed to spit out the name "Street Sense" even once until in the shadow of the wire wasting his time predicting bold runs from Circular Quay etc...Street Sense won the race by 10 lengths.

Just like Durkin with Mine That Bird.

Churchill is actually a difficult track to work because of the position of the booth.

HorsemenHeist
11-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Wrona needs to call the Breeders' Cup every year. His calls in 2016 were legendary. Hearing his calls would be the main attraction to go LIVE instead of watch on TV.