PDA

View Full Version : Some preliminary thoughts

dilanesp
11-03-2017, 09:43 PM
Weather was a pleasant surprise (though it got cold at the end). Parking was a cluster-f, with remote lots oversold and attendants who had no idea where to send people, while in the meantime the lots next to the track were empty. Attendance was terrible, and betting lines were short. Forever Unbridled was a very deserving winner.

And racetracks need to stop putting gigantic tents up in the infield that obstruct the race.

Augenj
11-03-2017, 09:57 PM
Weather was a pleasant surprise (though it got cold at the end). Parking was a cluster-f, with remote lots oversold and attendants who had no idea where to send people, while in the meantime the lots next to the track were empty. Attendance was terrible, and betting lines were short. Forever Unbridled was a very deserving winner.

And racetracks need to stop putting gigantic tents up in the infield that obstruct the race.
Good luck on getting any of that fixed. They ALWAYS listen to the people who pay the bills. :lol: Forever Unbridled was the best.

proximity
11-04-2017, 12:43 AM
upvote for the report dilane.

keep them coming.

did you get to meet cj or any pa members?

dilanesp
11-04-2017, 01:15 AM
upvote for the report dilane.

keep them coming.

did you get to meet cj or any pa members?

Cj is off in the turf club or something. I can't afford those tickets. :)

dilanesp
11-04-2017, 01:18 AM
BTW they announced 32,000. No bleeping way. The track was far more crowded on Pacific Classic day, and that was the low 20's. MAYBE they distributed 30k tickets, but there were a ton of no shows.

Psychotic Parakeet
11-04-2017, 01:25 AM
It looked emptyish on the pan shots.

Prioress Ply
11-06-2017, 01:20 AM
Joe Harper has a well deserved reputation for honesty and transparency.

cj
11-06-2017, 01:29 AM

I agreed with one thing at least. :) The tents are ridiculous. Preakness day is the worst by a longshot.

The BC will decide on the rest. If it was as bad as you say, they won't be back. Admission was jacked up so they probably made just as much if not more based on what I saw. Everyone had tix hanging around there neck with a $500+ price in the boxes. Don't think they were near that at Santa Anita, but maybe I'm wrong.

cj
11-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Cj is off in the turf club or something. I can't afford those tickets. :)

I can't either, I just happened to be nice to the right guy. He won the BC contest last year.

airford1
11-06-2017, 11:36 AM
I don't think that the west coast is able to put down their phones long enough to attend a live event. Same results for NFL, College sports, Nascar, NHRA, WWE and most concerts. Baseball doesn't do to bad, Just don't see the people willing to make an effort to get off their Ass except to call Papa Johns to deliver a Pizza. Pretty sad out here when it comes to participation, except when it comes to sitting in freeway traffic. Breeds Cup should think about holding the Event in another country besides USA.

Tom
11-06-2017, 12:40 PM
They did...Canada.

Fager Fan
11-06-2017, 12:48 PM
I don't think that the west coast is able to put down their phones long enough to attend a live event. Same results for NFL, College sports, Nascar, NHRA, WWE and most concerts. Baseball doesn't do to bad, Just don't see the people willing to make an effort to get off their Ass except to call Papa Johns to deliver a Pizza. Pretty sad out here when it comes to participation, except when it comes to sitting in freeway traffic. Breeds Cup should think about holding the Event in another country besides USA.

Great idea given it's American Breeders and owners who fund the event.

Exotic1
11-07-2017, 10:33 AM
https://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/news/4953-breeders-cup-moments-gun-runner-beyond

Didn't know which thread to post this in.

AndyC
11-07-2017, 11:50 AM
https://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/news/4953-breeders-cup-moments-gun-runner-beyond

Didn't know which thread to post this in.

Hopefully dilanesp doesn't read the last line of the article.

classhandicapper
11-07-2017, 05:13 PM
Obviously, not everyone will agree with me about how the track was playing.

However...

My biggest complaint is that I thought the inside part of the track was not ideal on Friday and was outright bad on Saturday. IMO, that compromised a lot horses that looked like serious contenders going into their respective races and added a layer of complexity to already tough races to handicap.

I don't mind biases in general, but I don't think our championship races should be settled by a combination of post position draw, running style, and whose connections noticed.

Afleet
11-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Great idea given it's American Breeders and owners who fund the event.

so if there was no gambling they would keep funding the event?