PDA

View Full Version : Eddie Olczyk

jocko699
11-01-2017, 06:26 PM
https://www.paulickreport.com/news/people/message-eddie-olczyk-horse-racing-thank/

My Fellow Racing Fan,

Happy Breeders’ Cup week! Before we get into picks, analysis and betting strategies, there’s something I need to say:

Thank you.

Since being diagnosed with colon cancer, I’ve been overwhelmed by the power of your thoughts, prayers and well wishes. My family and I will be forever thankful for the kindness you’ve shown us.

So to everyone in racing – the fans, bettors, jockeys, owners, breeders, trainers, grooms, valets, veterinarians, media, track employees and everyone in between – thank you. Thank you so much. You mean more to me than I can ever put into words.

I also want to recognize a few people who have been there every step of the way:

• Sam Flood, Rob Hyland & the NBC Horse Racing Team
• Laffit Pincay III
• John Sikura of Hill ‘n Dale Farm
• Chris Baker of Three Chimneys Farm
• The Baffert Family
• Team Always Dreaming – Anthony Bonomo & Vinnie Viola
• The Stronach Group, Xpressbet & XBTV

To you guys, your unwavering support has been both needed and greatly appreciated.

I’ll admit that I’m going to miss being at the Breeders’ Cup this year, especially for its first trip to Del Mar. There’s just no way of replicating the energy and excitement of a big day at the races. But even though I won’t be at the track, you’d better believe I’ll be watching every minute and playing every race. In my eyes, these are the best two days of the year to ‘let it ride’ and shoot for the fences. Somebody is going to hit big – why shouldn’t it be us?

I’m especially looking forward to getting another crack at the Breeders’ Cup Betting Challenge. I played last year at Santa Anita and finished in the Top 40 – not bad for a tournament that had 397 entries – but I still think about things I could’ve done differently. A couple tweaks to my approach and maybe I win the whole thing. Wish me luck this year unless, of course, you’re playing too. In that case, good luck to you. Hopefully we’re both there at the finish line.

So let’s pick some winners, hit big and enjoy a phenomenal weekend of racing! If you’re interested in seeing how I’m playing the races, here are my Best Bets (https://mailing02.xpressbetonline.com/link.php?M=304133&N=2517&L=1038&F=H) for Friday and Saturday.

I’ll see you at the track soon.

Your Friend,

Eddie Olczyk

woodtoo
11-01-2017, 06:31 PM
Hang in there and good luck at the races. We all miss you in the Peg and at the Downs.

oughtoh
11-01-2017, 06:44 PM
Hang in there and prayers are with you. You will be missed this weekend and you are missed every week when I am watching hockey. I love listening to you on the hockey games.

VeryOldMan
11-01-2017, 07:17 PM
Prayers up. Rooted for you back in the hockey day, including 1984 with the US Olympic team, and have been a fan since. Have appreciated what you've brought to horse racing.

johnhenry81
11-01-2017, 08:14 PM
All the best Edzo. I share your passions of horses and hockey, I am actually watching you do the Blackhawks-Flyers game right now. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

LemonSoupKid
11-01-2017, 08:39 PM
is jocko Olczyk?

Love the avatar in that profile, lol

Atta boy Eddie

jocko699
11-01-2017, 08:47 PM
is jocko Olczyk?

Love the avatar in that profile, lol

Atta boy Eddie

LSK,

I am the fat ass in the picture. I won a contest and made a 25k bet on the Preakness, Classic Empire, and Eddie interviewed me. He was such a nice guy and we talked about his NHL career, specifically when he played for the LA Kings, and his kids. Big money Mike Smith walked by us before the interview and we all reminisced about the old days at Hollywood Park.

LemonSoupKid
11-01-2017, 08:49 PM
LSK,

I am the fat ass in the picture. I won a contest and made a 25k bet on the Preakness, Classic Empire, and Eddie interviewed me. He was such a nice guy and we talked about his NHL career, specifically when he played for the LA Kings, and his kids. Big money Mike Smith walked by us before the interview and we all reminisced about the old days at Hollywood Park.

I remember that, sorry. Great stuff, jocko!

I had several pick 6 tickets that didn't cash when Cloud Computing came from the clouds --- it shouldn't make you feel any better but I had 12k I think coming if Classic Empire had hung on.

caper
11-01-2017, 08:51 PM
Wait is this really Eddie Olczyk?

jocko699
11-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Wait is this really Eddie Olczyk?

Yes

jocko699
11-01-2017, 08:54 PM
I remember that, sorry. Great stuff, jocko!

I had several pick 6 tickets that didn't cash when Cloud Computing came from the clouds --- it shouldn't make you feel any better but I had 12k I think coming if Classic Empire had hung on.

Layers of agony. I turned to my buddy when Julian made his move and said it was too early. Oh well, the memories were priceless.

caper
11-01-2017, 08:55 PM
Yes

Wow. I praying for you man. Cool to see some class hanging out with us degenerates!!

jocko699
11-01-2017, 08:58 PM
Wow. I praying for you man. Cool to see some class hanging out with us degenerates!!

Caper,

Sorry, I am not Eddie. Just posting an email. I am the big dude on the right of my profile pic with Eddie.

caper
11-01-2017, 09:02 PM
Caper,

Sorry, I am not Eddie. Just posting an email. I am the big dude on the right of my profile pic with Eddie.

lol. Ok. Sorry.

dilanesp
11-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Stay strong.

Who is going to win the Stanley Cup?

lamboguy
11-02-2017, 08:36 AM
please tell Eddie that we all need him and love him and that he has friends here that care about him.

onefast99
11-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Stay strong.

Who is going to win the Stanley Cup?
Rangers in 7....:cool:

LemonSoupKid
11-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Layers of agony. I turned to my buddy when Julian made his move and said it was too early. Oh well, the memories were priceless.

Yes they were. Big picture in life, we remember great wins and bad losses, and both are what makes it great, as long as neither ruins or runs your life. Like what I just did there? :cool:

Is Eddie's "cancer" really serious? I hope he's doing well, I just suspect a lot of people get a cultural shock from the term and it might not be as serious as it sounds just with a blanket word from the outside. I'm hoping that's the case, at least.

RunDustyRun
11-02-2017, 11:00 AM
If he is not going to be on the broadcast for the BC I would guess it is serious...wish him well as I really enjoy his commentary...you can tell he is a big fan of the sport

headhawg
11-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I met Edzo right after he signed with the Blackhawks. He came into the local community college, and I happened to be working as a student service aide. I recognized him right away so I made sure I was the one to help him. I wanted to meet him again so I could buy him a beverage and share a story about that meeting plus talk to him about a couple of parallels in our lives, handicapping being one of them.

Wishing you all the best Eddie O. Stay strong and beat this thing.

stuball
11-02-2017, 11:43 AM
I was always looking for you on the telecasts of horse racing and have a huge respect for your knowledge of the game...I always included your picks and am glad to say it has worked out well..I hope a full recovery for you and wish the best of the best for you now and forever....

Stuball

jocko699
11-02-2017, 05:07 PM
Yes they were. Big picture in life, we remember great wins and bad losses, and both are what makes it great, as long as neither ruins or runs your life. Like what I just did there? :cool:

Is Eddie's "cancer" really serious? I hope he's doing well, I just suspect a lot of people get a cultural shock from the term and it might not be as serious as it sounds just with a blanket word from the outside. I'm hoping that's the case, at least.

Eddie has returned to call Blackhawk games. The issue is he wants to focus on the treatment of his cancer. I do not know how bad it is or if it has spread. He is a super guy who I think all would love to spend time with and drink a beer while talking about horses. (Or even Bob Costas' toupee)

One thing we can all take from this is the need for males over 50 or those that have a family history of cancer to have a colonoscopy performed per your doctor's instructions.

bishlap
11-04-2017, 03:37 PM
good luck - best wishes, Eddie.

clicknow
11-04-2017, 09:32 PM
I wish Eddie the best of luck, in taking care of himself and his health.

One thing we can all take from this is the need for males over 50 or those that have a family history of cancer to have a colonoscopy performed per your doctor's instructions.

Women, too. I can't express this too strongly:

I would have full blown colon cancer, NOW, if I had not had a colonoscopy. I had grown a very large polyp that as not removable by the gastro during the coolonscopy and so I had to see a surgeon. IT was so large the surgeon even said "holy cow!" when he saw the photos. He was able to get it all out, and it's a good thing, because the pathology came back "cancer in situ", i.e. cancer was contained w/in the growth.

Unfortunately this means I have to have colonoscopy every 6 months, probably for rest of my life, since i am prone to the "bad kind" of polyps. Had this thing been allowed to grow...well, they would have had to take part of my colon out at the very least.

However, colon cancer, if caught early, is one of the most CURABLE cancers.:headbanger:

Just a public service announcement.......schedule a colonscopy if you are 50 or over.......do it NOW. Buy it as a Xmas present to yourself.

BTW, I am extremely healthy, take no medications, don't eat processed foods or junk or fast foods, and swim and walk every single day. There was no way I would have known I had this "thing" if I had not gone for that colonscopy, and am as a result, cancer-free.

sorry for the diversion......I just really wanted to express the importance of doing this.

mlyles1
11-05-2017, 11:52 AM
So true Clicknow. I lost my mom to colon cancer at 56. She was stubborn and would never go to the doctor. If you have someone who you care about 50+, please make them get it done.

lamboguy
11-05-2017, 11:57 AM
I wish Eddie the best of luck, in taking care of himself and his health.

Women, too. I can't express this too strongly:

I would have full blown colon cancer, NOW, if I had not had a colonoscopy. I had grown a very large polyp that as not removable by the gastro during the coolonscopy and so I had to see a surgeon. IT was so large the surgeon even said "holy cow!" when he saw the photos. He was able to get it all out, and it's a good thing, because the pathology came back "cancer in situ", i.e. cancer was contained w/in the growth.

Unfortunately this means I have to have colonoscopy every 6 months, probably for rest of my life, since i am prone to the "bad kind" of polyps. Had this thing been allowed to grow...well, they would have had to take part of my colon out at the very least.

However, colon cancer, if caught early, is one of the most CURABLE cancers.:headbanger:

Just a public service announcement.......schedule a colonscopy if you are 50 or over.......do it NOW. Buy it as a Xmas present to yourself.

BTW, I am extremely healthy, take no medications, don't eat processed foods or junk or fast foods, and swim and walk every single day. There was no way I would have known I had this "thing" if I had not gone for that colonscopy, and am as a result, cancer-free.

sorry for the diversion......I just really wanted to express the importance of doing this.very worthwhile info. i get both a colonoscopy and endoscopy every other year. its the few times that i could ever endorse going to see a doctor for. when they can cut it out before it spreads you are improving your odds. if its already spread there is little that the doctors can do for you.

LemonSoupKid
11-07-2017, 10:58 AM
So true Clicknow. I lost my mom to colon cancer at 56. She was stubborn and would never go to the doctor. If you have someone who you care about 50+, please make them get it done.

Sorry for your loss, but part of patient autonomy is also that desire to refuse treatment. Also, the costs in every way can be enormous. If you do in fact pay for health insurance (they are truly premiums) of course you should undergo at least decade screening as suggested above, at ages 50 and 60. If clean, you're likely not gonna get anything meaningful, even if you live much longer.

jocko699
03-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Good news on Eddie!!!!

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/22876605/eddie-olczyk-chicago-blackhawks-broadcaster-announces-cancer-free

PaceAdvantage
03-23-2018, 04:15 PM
Some much needed good news around here! Very happy to read this. :jump:

jocko699
03-23-2018, 04:35 PM
Some much needed good news around here! Very happy to read this. :jump:

Yes it is. Hopefully I'll see in at Pimlico in May:headbanger: