PDA

View Full Version : Nothing About WS Game 5?

Ocala Mike
10-30-2017, 10:26 AM
One for the record books - 5 hrs., 17 mins of punch and counter-punch, like a 15 round heavyweight brawl. Dodgers' vaunted relief corps seems to have a few holes in it.

barahona44
10-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Hey OcMi if you mean there's nothing about the game here on PA, look at the "How About That Didi" thread located here in Off Topic Sports ,it became the World Series thread for some reason.

CincyHorseplayer
10-30-2017, 11:31 AM
I think there isn't much on it because those of us who watched it are worn out from watching it! This might be the best and/or strangest series I have watched! Wow what a game.

Marshall Bennett
10-30-2017, 12:01 PM
One for the record books - 5 hrs., 17 mins of punch and counter-punch, like a 15 round heavyweight brawl. Dodgers' vaunted relief corps seems to have a few holes in it.
There were 7 home runs in total and a record 33 for the series, with more left to play. Minute Maid Park is a hitter's paradise, but most of those were launched. I was barely able to keep eyes open towards the end, but was well worth the effort. Go Astros!!!

barahona44
10-30-2017, 01:12 PM
There were 7 home runs in total and a record 33 for the series, with more left to play. Minute Maid Park is a hitter's paradise, but most of those were launched. I was barely able to keep eyes open towards the end, but was well worth the effort. Go Astros!!!

Gee,can you imagine the number of home runs if the balls WEREN'T juiced? :D :rolleyes:

Secondbest
10-30-2017, 01:40 PM
When you start a baseball game after 8 on the east coast not many people will be around for the end. I was done by 11:30.
PS. Fox reported that game 4 rating was 7% less than last year on all platforms.

Secondbest
10-30-2017, 02:24 PM
When you start a baseball game after 8 on the east coast not many people will be around for the end. I was done by 11:30.
PS. Fox reported that game 4 rating was 7% less than last year on all platforms.

The series outdrew the nfl last night. Good for them.

Marshall Bennett
10-30-2017, 04:56 PM
Gee,can you imagine the number of home runs if the balls WEREN'T juiced? :D :rolleyes:
How many more would have been hit had it been 20 degrees warmer. :)

MutuelClerk
10-30-2017, 10:12 PM
The series outdrew the nfl last night. Good for them.

People like home runs more than field goals. Kneeling had nothing to do with it.

Valuist
10-31-2017, 03:27 PM
People like home runs more than field goals. Kneeling had nothing to do with it.

People like home runs, when they are accomplished under "normal conditions". When the numbers are inflated due to PEDs, or juiced baseballs, or more recently "slick baseballs", it just is a black eye for the game. Nobody was fooled during the Steroid Era, and nobody believes the baseballs now are made the same way they were in 2014.

thaskalos
10-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Why aren't the pitchers complaining more than they are about these juiced baseballs? Don't they want to get into the "Hall Of Fame" too?

HoofedInTheChest
10-31-2017, 06:01 PM
Juiced balls or not, both bullpens have been atrocious, i have never seen anything like it..... well, maybe the Texas Rangers. :lol:

PhantomOnTour
10-31-2017, 06:25 PM
Here's a recap of the World Series in case you haven't been watching:

Home run
Home run
Home run
Home run
Pitching change
Pitching change
Home run
Home run
Home run

MutuelClerk
10-31-2017, 08:40 PM
Baseball has changed. The ball is rarely in play anymore. Does that make defense count more or less? The game has become BB K HR.

ElKabong
10-31-2017, 10:45 PM
Why aren't the pitchers complaining more than they are about these juiced baseballs? Don't they want to get into the "Hall Of Fame" too?

An AP story yesterday noted that Verlander has stated that the baseballs used in the post season are slicker. Others mentioned even moreso in the WS.

MutuelClerk
11-01-2017, 09:03 AM
I'm guessing we wont see Morris vs Smoltz tonight.

_______
11-01-2017, 12:27 PM
People like home runs, when they are accomplished under "normal conditions". When the numbers are inflated due to PEDs, or juiced baseballs, or more recently "slick baseballs", it just is a black eye for the game. Nobody was fooled during the Steroid Era, and nobody believes the baseballs now are made the same way they were in 2014.

The problem with the statement “No one was fooled” is that it’s made after baseball has acknowledged they turned a blind eye to PED’s while benefitting from all the publicity surrounding player accomplishments during that era.

I seem to remember an awful lot of excitement when McGuire shattered the single season home run record and more when Bonds then broke that record 3 years later.

I think a whole lot of people were willingly fooled but have subsequently decided they never fell for any of it.

Kind of like the war in Iraq which had 70%+ support in the run up but nowadays, no one EVER thought it was a good idea.

Show Me the Wire
11-01-2017, 01:46 PM
Plenty of people were fooled by slammin' Sammy Sosa.

Valuist
11-01-2017, 02:54 PM
The problem with the statement “No one was fooled” is that it’s made after baseball has acknowledged they turned a blind eye to PED’s while benefitting from all the publicity surrounding player accomplishments during that era.

I seem to remember an awful lot of excitement when McGuire shattered the single season home run record and more when Bonds then broke that record 3 years later.

I think a whole lot of people were willingly fooled but have subsequently decided they never fell for any of it.

Kind of like the war in Iraq which had 70%+ support in the run up but nowadays, no one EVER thought it was a good idea.

I have been a life long Cub fan, but when 1998 season started, it was crystal clear Sosa was juicing. A 35 pound increase in an offseason? Extremely unlikely one could gain half that much muscle mass in 4 months without heavy steroid use. Bonds hat size increasing several sizes? Anyone familiar with weight training knows how difficult it is to gain muscle mass, and especially that quickly. Weight training was not new to MLB, but you'd see guys putting on 7-8 pounds of muscle in the offseason. Then we were seeing 20, 25 and even 35 pound gains. It just could not have happened without help.

MutuelClerk
11-01-2017, 09:11 PM
I can maybe understand the Cubs wanting Q over Verlander because of the term of the contract. I'll never understand the Dodgers wanting Darvish over JV. Did they really wanna save a few bucks with that payroll? You get what you pay for.

barahona44
11-02-2017, 12:03 AM
Congrats to the Houston Astros for finally giving the Lone Star State a baseball chanpionship. :ThmbUp:

Zaf
11-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Congrats to the Houston Astros for finally giving the Lone Star State a baseball chanpionship. :ThmbUp:

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp::headbanger:

Z

ElKabong
11-02-2017, 12:46 AM
So happy for the Astros and their fans!

Six years ago my Rangers were one strike from winning it all in a game six, then saw it fade away. Long before then I had the mindset that losses in sporting events wouldn't be painful (betting horses for a living cured me of that, you can't let losses get to you... Esp losses that involve people you don't know, people who don't care about you or anyone else in the stands... You realize you control your own happiness, not others). Tonight was sweet. Congrats Houston.

Marshall Bennett
11-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Been waiting 50 years for this day. ** ASTROS ** :headbanger:

Nutz and Boltz
11-02-2017, 12:34 PM
Was predicted to happen 3 years ago by a S.I. writer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-story-behind-the-si-cover-predicting-the-astros-world-series-run-2017-10