PDA

View Full Version : And So It Begins... Bye George

OntheRail
10-28-2017, 01:26 PM
The Slippery Slop...

A church attended by George Washington will take down a memorial to the nation's first president, a move church leaders say is intended to make the place of worship more welcoming.

The Washington Times reported Friday that Christ Church in Alexandria, Va., will remove memorials of Washington and former Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which stand on either side of the church's altar.

“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome," church leaders said. "Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.”:rolleyes:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/357608-george-washingtons-virginia-church-taking-down-his-memorial

Named a National Historic Landmark in 1970. I wonder if that will have an impact on planned alterations.

boxcar
10-28-2017, 02:11 PM
The Slippery Slop...

:rolleyes:

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/357608-george-washingtons-virginia-church-taking-down-his-memorial

Named a National Historic Landmark in 1970. I wonder if that will have an impact on planned alterations.

The poor religious snowflakes are paranoid. Maybe they think one or even both of those monuments will come to life and bite them on the arse on the way out. :coffee:

rastajenk
10-28-2017, 02:14 PM
They're guests and visitors...they ain't coming back anyway. Doesn't seem to bother the regulars. I hope this move has consequences of the unintended variety.

Clocker
10-28-2017, 02:16 PM
“The plaques in our sanctuary make some in our presence feel unsafe or unwelcome," church leaders said. "Some visitors and guests who worship with us choose not to return because they receive an unintended message from the prominent presence of the plaques.” Good idea. I think we should just stop teaching or commemorating any history that occurred before the start of this century, lest we hurt anyone's feelings or make the feeble-minded feel unsafe.

tucker6
10-28-2017, 03:15 PM

It certainly will. I had a house built in 1750 in its original form and easily could have been put on the Register. However, the price for maintaining history is that you cannot alter ANYTHING without the approval of the National Historic Registry. This should be a fun fight. I think the church loses, as well it should.

_______
10-28-2017, 04:14 PM
The Slippery Slop...

:rolleyes:

I visited this church when I stayed in Alexandria for my nephew’s wedding in May of 2015. I don’t remember seeing any plaques at the altar but I’m sure they were there. George Washinton’s family pew was marked by a plaque and I asked a docent why the some of the seating faced away from the pulpit. She opened the door (which was another question I had) and sat us down. She had us sit in the pews facing away from the pulpit and look over our shoulders. She said in the winter, families would bring hot stones from the fire at home and set them in the middle of the “box seats” we were in. They would close the door, and it would provide some small degree of comfort against the cold Virginia winter. Looking over the shoulder or just listening without looking was a small price vs. the discomfort of freezing.

Earlier that same day we had visited the former Franklin and Armfield Office, now the Freedom House Museum.

I think anyone wanting to get their panties in a twist over the erasure of history should visit both.

woodtoo
10-28-2017, 04:18 PM
I visited this church when I stayed in Alexandria for my nephew’s wedding in May of 2015. I don’t remember seeing any plaques at the altar but I’m sure they were there. George Washinton’s family pew was marked by a plaque and I asked a docent why the some of the seating faced away from the pulpit. She opened the door (which was another question I had) and sat us down. She had us sit in the pews facing away from the pulpit and look over our shoulders. She said in the winter, families would bring hot stones from the fire at home and set them in the middle of the “box seats” we were in. They would close the door, and it would provide some small degree of comfort against the cold Virginia winter. Looking over the shoulder or just listening without looking was a small price vs. the discomfort of freezing.

Earlier that same day we had visited the former Franklin and Armfield Office, now the Freedom House Museum.

I think anyone wanting to get their panties in a twist over the erasure of history should visit both.

What if my panties are not twisted should I stay home? :popcorn:

jocko699
10-28-2017, 04:38 PM
What if my panties are not twisted should I stay home? :popcorn:

What if I am commando?:p

garyscpa
10-28-2017, 05:15 PM
It certainly will. I had a house built in 1750 in its original form and easily could have been put on the Register. However, the price for maintaining history is that you cannot alter ANYTHING without the approval of the National Historic Registry. This should be a fun fight. I think the church loses, as well it should.

Wow, you're older than I thought. Who was your contractor?

Marshall Bennett
10-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Smart move. Happy to see anything that will improve race relations in our country. Taking all our century old statues down too, destroying many, how important that was also. Renaming our schools and streets, erasing memories tied to those old names, who needed them anyway?
Every time I see a black person now I just want to hug and kiss them. I'm sure other white folks feel exactly the same way.
Thank you for being so considerate and kind ... :bang:

Inner Dirt
10-29-2017, 06:55 AM
Good idea. I think we should just stop teaching or commemorating any history that occurred before the start of this century, lest we hurt anyone's feelings or make the feeble-minded feel unsafe.

I think we can only acknowledge the last 50 years, didn't segregation and the last Jim Crow laws end around 1967 or so?

tucker6
10-29-2017, 07:13 AM
Wow, you're older than I thought. Who was your contractor?

good catch. :ThmbUp: I enjoy those myself in news headlines.