PDA

View Full Version : Survey of Horse Racing Fans

Catlaunch
10-27-2017, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone. I am doing a study on North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans and their thoughts about animals for my Master’s thesis at Canisius College, in Buffalo, NY. I need horseracing fans to complete my survey. The survey should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As an incentive for participating, you will have the opportunity to enter a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card. All responses will be completely anonymous. PLEASE SHARE this with any North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans you know. Thank you for reading and (hopefully) for your participation. Here’s the link: http://canisius.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1NyczjBW7fcYExT

rastajenk
10-27-2017, 06:28 PM
I like your user name. Who couldn't share some love for ol' reliable Catlaunch? :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

CincyHorseplayer
10-28-2017, 12:55 AM
I'll do the survey tomorrow as it's late but love the screen name. Catlaunch is an Ohio Bred legend!

Catlaunch
10-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Thanks! And he is! :headbanger:

Catlaunch
10-28-2017, 08:49 AM
Thanks! And I agree! :)

Afleet
10-28-2017, 02:01 PM
This had me a little leery about taking the survey:

The goal of this project is to better understand North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans' attitudes to animals and empathy for animals.

Like PETA esque

Catlaunch
10-29-2017, 05:43 PM
Not at all, Afleet. While I am interested in gauging racing fans' thoughts on animals (the program I am in, Anthrozoology, studies human/animal interactions), I am not coming at this from any certain perspective - certainly nothing PETA-esque. A little background on myself, if it makes you or anyone else who reads this feel better about taking the survey, I consider myself a horseracing fan (I've followed horseracing since I was a little girl in the 70s; Seattle Slew and Forego are my first racehorse loves) and even had my groom's license for a little while a few years ago. I really do encourage my fellow fans to take this survey with an open-mind and the knowledge that there is no agenda of any kind behind it. Thanks!

alhattab
10-29-2017, 09:45 PM
Hi everyone. I am doing a study on North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans and their thoughts about animals for my Master’s thesis at Canisius College, in Buffalo, NY. I need horseracing fans to complete my survey. The survey should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. As an incentive for participating, you will have the opportunity to enter a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card. All responses will be completely anonymous. PLEASE SHARE this with any North American Thoroughbred horseracing fans you know. Thank you for reading and (hopefully) for your participation. Here’s the link: http://canisius.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1NyczjBW7fcYExT

I took a look Catlaunch and thought some of the questions were leading e.g., "the slaughter of whales and dolphins" and "it is unethical to breed..." so declined. Good luck with it!

Holybull1
10-30-2017, 03:13 PM
I took a look Catlaunch and thought some of the questions were leading e.g., "the slaughter of whales and dolphins" and "it is unethical to breed..." so declined. Good luck with it!

Agree. I got to the last of the survey where it asks “Racehorses are livestock that can be bought, sold, given away or otherwise disposed of as an owner sees fit”. I believe racehorses can be bought, sold, or given away. Do I think they can be disposed of? Of course not. You can make make the survey say whatever you want with these poor questions. Pass on this ridiculous survey.

Inner Dirt
10-30-2017, 04:39 PM
On some of the questions I thought they needed to be more specific. As an example. "Breeding animals for skins." Does that mean the skin will be used and everything else throw away? Or will the meat also be consumed by a human or another animal?

CincyHorseplayer
10-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Done!

CincyHorseplayer
10-30-2017, 07:45 PM
I agree some of the questions were not specific enough or were worded in a way that would elicit a crappy reaction. But overall it was not that bad. I think much could be derived from our answers.

senortout
10-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Well, peta or not, there are things that lurk in the back of the mind, whether or not we want to admit them or not!

If I do decide to respond to your query I will be more than honest.

Do tell more about the way you came to use that name on here!

Franco Santiago
10-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Well, peta or not, there are things that lurk in the back of the mind, whether or not we want to admit them or not!

If I do decide to respond to your query I will be more than honest.

Do tell more about the way you came to use that name on here!

"more" than honest. lol

I know you were just being rhetorical, but the phrase caught my eye....i.e. are there levels of honesty? I guess it depends on what the definition of "is" is, to quote a POTUS.

rastajenk
10-31-2017, 07:39 AM
I did the survey. Sure, there were some statements that read like they came from the fringes, but the format was 'to what degree do you agree or disagree.' So I disagreed with some of them; strongly disagreed with some of them. And agreed with some as well. Seems harmless, overall.

Hapman
11-01-2017, 10:58 AM
Agree. I got to the last of the survey where it asks “Racehorses are livestock that can be bought, sold, given away or otherwise disposed of as an owner sees fit”. I believe racehorses can be bought, sold, or given away. Do I think they can be disposed of? Of course not. You can make make the survey say whatever you want with these poor questions. Pass on this ridiculous survey.

It's very likely it's simply that OP is a student, and just made a few poor choices in wording that an adviser is going to point out,rather than having some kind of agenda.

Dave Schwartz
11-01-2017, 01:19 PM
I would not allow a perceived PETA attitude prevent me from taking the survey.

In fact, just the opposite.

This would mean that you have a vote in disagreeing with anything PETA-leaning.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Franco Santiago
11-02-2017, 08:14 PM
I would not allow a perceived PETA attitude prevent me from taking the survey.

In fact, just the opposite.

This would mean that you have a vote in disagreeing with anything PETA-leaning.

Just my opinion.

Dave

Hmmm...that's a great perspective, Mr. Schwartz.

Thomas Roulston
11-03-2017, 06:41 PM
Done. Happy to help you out.

And CincyHorseplayer: Rollin On Over was an awesome Ohio-bred too.

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2017, 08:44 PM
Done. Happy to help you out.

And CincyHorseplayer: Rollin On Over was an awesome Ohio-bred too.

Don't recall that one! Before 1996? I remember Down the Pike Mike and not sure if Maximilian's Specter was an Ohio bred but they were solid. Ashwood CC was a filly I connected with many times. There are some I know I am forgetting!

CincyHorseplayer
11-03-2017, 08:47 PM
Don't recall that one! Before 1996? I remember Down the Pike Mike and not sure if Maximilian's Specter was an Ohio bred but they were solid. Ashwood CC was a filly I connected with many times. There are some I know I am forgetting!

Pay The Man was another. I think that is the name.

thespaah
11-03-2017, 08:57 PM
i expected to see questions about horse racing.
I go through about 10 questions then closed the page.

Broad Brush
11-03-2017, 09:12 PM
I like your user name. Who couldn't share some love for ol' reliable Catlaunch? :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news.

I stopped in at Old Friends Farm a couple of weeks ago when
in town to go to Keeneland. I was happy to see that Catlaunch
was living there. I rushed right to him to pet him in the barn.
Then I got the bad news that he has contracted EPM--which
is a serious neurological disease. He is going to need some luck
to survive it. 107 starts, 40 wins and he gets this on the farm???
Life is just not fair sometimes.

nancy4487
11-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Answered this survey on another racing forum.

Catlaunch
11-10-2017, 03:05 PM
Thanks to everyone who has taken my survey so far. It will be open through this weekend, so if you have not yet taken it, I'd like to encourage you to do so. It will only take a few minutes and you will have an opportunity to enter into a drawing for a $25 Amazon gift card (just in time for the holidays). Here is the link to the survey again -
Online Survey Software | Qualtrics Survey Solutions
http://canisius.co1.qualtrics.com

JustRalph
11-10-2017, 03:29 PM
I stopped when asked about my abilities to see things from the animals "point of view"

Gimme a break