PDA

View Full Version : Perils of The Claiming Game

CryingForTheHorses
08-14-2004, 07:08 PM
I claimed a 4yo colt by Silver Buck out of a Crafty Prospector mare.His name is DON HECTOR. WON the race easily but returned LAME..Slab fracture,Best thing for him is rest. Im going to have to send him to my friend in Ocala where he will be meticulously cared for while he heals. Its says in the form and todays Calder program that he is a gelding. He is a colt.I outshook 4 other trainers for the claim. The horse is well worth the money, Just too bad he wont race until the start of Calder 2005. When you are in the claiming game, You have to expect these things. I have been very lucky in my claims and have to take the bad with the good. He will win next year.

Dancer's Image
08-14-2004, 07:31 PM
What a great attitude!!!! I would be cursing my bad luck if I were you; as a matter of fact, I was cursing my own bad luck all day as I lost every race I bet today and therefore I am home early! Best of luck to you with your new horse...I hope this means you will be claiming another horse real soon.

CryingForTheHorses
08-14-2004, 07:54 PM
Yes I did Dancer, BUT what can you do, Least the other 4 guys went home happy. He will be a fun horse when he heals

TOOZ
08-15-2004, 09:01 AM
Mc,
Does any of the losing shakers ever try to privately purchase the claimed horse from the winning shaker after the race? Is this legit, or is there some time limits involved?

CryingForTheHorses
08-15-2004, 09:22 AM
TOOZ, I have never had anyone ask me if I wanted to sell a horse I just claimed. Rule states that a claimed horse may not run or be sold to run until after 30 days.You can sell him, He just cant run for a new owner.Im wondering what Silver Buck stands for?

Dancer's Image
08-15-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by McSchell_Racing
TOOZ, I have never had anyone ask me if I wanted to sell a horse I just claimed. Rule states that a claimed horse may not run or be sold to run until after 30 days.You can sell him, He just cant run for a new owner.Im wondering what Silver Buck stands for?

So you can't sell him to run for 30 days, but if you run him in a claiming race a week later, he could be claimed...so what is the reason for the rule? It makes no sense to me.

CryingForTheHorses
08-15-2004, 10:02 AM
I really dont know the reason for the rule, A guy spends his money and should be allowed to do what he wants with the horse,This stops guys claiming horses for hidden ownerships.I cant race this horse in the near future,DONT know if he will ever be able to race again..I will maybe try to sell him as a stud to someone..He is VERY well bred.ALSO HBPA has claiming insurance for guys that claim horses that break down..They get half their money back IF the horse has to be destroyed after the race on the track. I am signed up for this but doesnt help me as he limped off the track.STILL limping this morn..I feel bad for him as he is really a nice horse just looking for someone to help him. This a OLD fracture,BUT he got past the vets to race so I have NO grounds to protest..Guess I have to live with it. When the horse leaves the gate he belongs to the guys that claimed him.I STILL cant believe I outshook 4 other guys for him..sigh

Tom
08-15-2004, 11:19 AM
McShell....a tough game for sure. A friend of mine had a trainer calim a horse ofor him in the searly 70's. Give 'em Steel. The horse had 23 money finishes in a row. The day after they claimerd him, he rolled in his stall and hurt his knee. Laid up two months. When he finally got him back to the races, they played games with him for a while. The day they let him "loose" he faded like an ice cream cone in August the jock came back and told my friend, "Give'em Steel? Give 'em Away!

TOOZ
08-16-2004, 09:24 AM
Silver Buck no longer listed as a stallion. Silver Charm goes for 25 grand a pop. I thought it would be more. Active stallions:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/isd/

CryingForTheHorses
08-16-2004, 08:56 PM
Hey TOOZ
I emailed 3 chimneys farm asking about him.
Silver Buck is now retired and is 26 years old. Last year was 2003 where he stood in Florida.He is as white as a ghost.Don Hector(The Donald) is doing better, Have had several opinions and thinks might brighten up with him,Have been icing him and he is responding. his is a nice "cheap" horse with 3 wins and 2 seconds his last 5 starts.with beyers in the high eighty's going long.

TOOZ
08-17-2004, 06:43 AM
Mc,
I saw the race, he won easy. It was a good claim, just bad luck.
Also had that 15-1 shot 1 horse with Garcia. That guy seems to
be a good speed jock down there. I like when he's on first time and the horse shows speed. I'll tell you one thing, when you look
at some of those stud fee's, you know why SJ is where he's at.
AP Indy, 300,000 a pop. That's a nice piece of change.

CryingForTheHorses
08-17-2004, 05:06 PM
TOOZ
Talk about a warrior this horse is..Was a terror today..walking almost 100% sound,Have had several opinions about his xrays that I took...I think he's going to make it!!..Afer looking after him today..He has told me he still wants to run.Going to have to breeze him a slow 3/8 for the vet on fri..Then we will see..

kenwoodallpromos
08-17-2004, 09:55 PM
What composition and hardness do you have your running area set at? Do you think most other private workout/galloping areas are standard as to depth/speed?

CryingForTheHorses
08-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Geeze Ken
I hoping he will just breeze in a SLOW 39.90..Want him to come back safe and then look for a race..I Have to like what I see before I think of running him,If I get him back he will win, He is now the 2nd leading horse running at Calder.

kenwoodallpromos
08-18-2004, 01:50 PM
Layup places and private training facilities have workouts, so I was just curious.

CryingForTheHorses
08-18-2004, 04:24 PM
OIC Ken, I didnt understand your question, I am stabled at Calder, The horse will breeze on the main track,Lot of farms and training centers have good racetracks, I havent found 1 yet that really compares to the surface at Calder,They tell me FS"S Palm Meadows is a nice track, Havent saw it, Im talking about training centers in general. They do breeze horses on them , But im very skepital of the times they record.I myslf look at farm works very little,IMO, I also feel what the clockers say at Calder holds more merit then a farm/training center work.

kenwoodallpromos
08-19-2004, 03:22 PM
I did not know you got a stall at Calsder; I thjought you kept the horses at the farm.
Slow works are fine at CRC.