PDA

View Full Version : Scary stats about Racing

Fratman
10-26-2017, 01:32 PM
Thought this was interesting and may explain some of the strange moves tracks are making -- not that I agree with many of them................

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/224170/rise-of-super-trainers-impacts-sport#disqus_thread

Fratman
10-26-2017, 01:36 PM
Scroll up for article -- sorry first time starter......................

JustRalph
10-26-2017, 02:12 PM
I think their numbers for purses and percentage of money won by super trainers might be flawed.

They seem to be using "total available purse money"

Does Pletcher run many for 5-8k claiming at small tracks?

I don’t know anymore. But if the Super trainers aren’t trying to win or not entering horses at those levels....then those purses shouldn’t be considered. I’m sure that would bring their percentage of purse winnings way up.

I really don’t follow the races enough anymore.....but those big boys aren’t running 5k claimers often, correct me if I’m wrong....

Track Phantom
10-26-2017, 02:44 PM
This is not a bad idea. Stop making the payouts so top heavy, but heavy enough to need to win. Allow for some of that money to trickle down and you'd have more involvement from the fringes.

"In trying to look at it from both perspectives, my thought is why not pay back to last but also add $200 for every horse you beat? You reward the guy who wins the race, beating 11 horses; and the guy who finishes fifth or sixth might get enough to help his training bill. My whole purpose with this is to get churn for the owner. The game is expensive."

cj
10-26-2017, 03:01 PM
I think their numbers for purses and percentage of money won by super trainers might be flawed.

They seem to be using "total available purse money"

Does Pletcher run many for 5-8k claiming at small tracks?

I don’t know anymore. But if the Super trainers aren’t trying to win or not entering horses at those levels....then those purses shouldn’t be considered. I’m sure that would bring their percentage of purse winnings way up.

I really don’t follow the races enough anymore.....but those big boys aren’t running 5k claimers often, correct me if I’m wrong....

I think there definition of super trainers includes some guys that are big time claiming trainers. Didn't it just go by number of starts on the year? I read this a week ago or so. I'll check it again.

Augenj
10-26-2017, 03:14 PM
This is not a bad idea. Stop making the payouts so top heavy, but heavy enough to need to win. Allow for some of that money to trickle down and you'd have more involvement from the fringes.

"In trying to look at it from both perspectives, my thought is why not pay back to last but also add $200 for every horse you beat? You reward the guy who wins the race, beating 11 horses; and the guy who finishes fifth or sixth might get enough to help his training bill. My whole purpose with this is to get churn for the owner. The game is expensive."
Could not agree more with everything you said. :ThmbUp: