PDA

View Full Version : Big Breakthrough-Transparent Solar Panels

ReplayRandall
10-24-2017, 12:07 PM
A new generation of see-through solar cell technology could soon be used to harvest the massive energy potential of building and car windows, cell phones as well as other objects with a transparent surface.

The system uses materials to pick up ultraviolet and near infrared wavelengths, which are guided to the edge of the surface they are on for it to be converted into electricity by thin strips of photovoltaic solar cells.

http://www.newsweek.com/fossil-fuels-transparent-solar-panels-harvest-energy-windows-msu-691308

chadk66
10-24-2017, 01:09 PM
problem with solar is it takes lots of petroleum to build it. and you have major toxic elements to deal with when they are done.

TBD
10-25-2017, 04:22 AM
Cost per therm vs. conventional and storage, is and has been the main problems for renewable energy. I enjoyed where the article came to the big if on storage. Sound like someone needs a new grant.

Augenj
10-25-2017, 05:59 AM
A new generation of see-through solar cell technology could soon be used to harvest the massive energy potential of building and car windows, cell phones as well as other objects with a transparent surface.

The system uses materials to pick up ultraviolet and near infrared wavelengths, which are guided to the edge of the surface they are on for it to be converted into electricity by thin strips of photovoltaic solar cells.

http://www.newsweek.com/fossil-fuels-transparent-solar-panels-harvest-energy-windows-msu-691308
Oh, no. I'd much rather have coal creating our electricity. (kidding) :D

FantasticDan
01-21-2018, 11:42 AM
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/955005803257360384

davew
01-21-2018, 01:05 PM
problem with solar is it takes lots of petroleum to build it. and you have major toxic elements to deal with when they are done.

That is not a problem, because you can make, recycle, and destroy on the other side of the world, like in China. Out of sight, out of mind. This is a great scientific breakthrough.

Tom
01-21-2018, 04:14 PM
If they beat coal, they would be in mass production everywhere.
The only test of if they are a viable option is that business are making them.

hcap
01-21-2018, 05:03 PM
The only test of if they are a viable option is that business are making them.Solar power growth leaps by 50% worldwide thanks to US and China

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/07/solar-power-growth-worldwide-us-china-uk-europe

davew
01-21-2018, 05:33 PM
The only test of if they are a viable option is that business are making them.

They need 'subsidized' until the technology gets cost effective

Tom
01-21-2018, 06:57 PM
Solar power growth leaps by 50% worldwide thanks to US and China

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/07/solar-power-growth-worldwide-us-china-uk-europe

If that comes from government regulation, it is BS.
If it comes from greedy capitalist doing it, it is good.
What are you so bitter theses days?

I never said SP was bad, just forcing it.
I like the idea and fully support the decision to use it, based 100% on the market.

hcap
01-22-2018, 12:08 AM
If that comes from government regulation, it is BS.
If it comes from greedy capitalist doing it, it is good.
What are you so bitter theses days?

I never said SP was bad, just forcing it.
I like the idea and fully support the decision to use it, based 100% on the market.BTW, Ouil and coal are sdubsidized

SEIA is the national trade association for the U.S. solar .

https://www.seia.org/solar-industry-data

http://www.seia.org/sites/default/files/Fig1-SolarGrowthWithITC-2017YIR.png

hcap
01-22-2018, 12:11 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news/economy/solar-jobs-us-coal/index.html

Solar jobs growing 17 times faster than US economy

Tom
01-22-2018, 12:38 PM
So go buy stock.

Actor
01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
They need 'subsidized' until the technology gets cost effective
Right now the problem with solar is storing the energy until it is needed. Batteries are simply not efficient enough. A few years back I attended a lecture where the speaker proposed that the energy be used to extract hydrogen from water. The hydrogen could then be stored until used as fuel. It could be distributed through existing pipe lines. The problem is that not many vehicles use natural gas powered engines.

However, when you burn gasoline in an engine you get carbon dioxide and water. If solar energy (electricity) could be used to force the process in reverse then from carbon dioxide and water you could produce gasoline. I asked a chemistry student if this could be done and he said "Funny you should mention that. I know some grad students who are working on it."

That's an ideal solution. Not only would we be using solar to produce gasoline but we'd be sucking carbon dioxide, the major greenhouse gas, out of the atmosphere as well, killing two birds with one stone: cheap energy plus an end to global warming. I sounds too good to be true so it probably won't work, dammit.

zico20
01-23-2018, 09:47 AM
Right now the problem with solar is storing the energy until it is needed. Batteries are simply not efficient enough. A few years back I attended a lecture where the speaker proposed that the energy be used to extract hydrogen from water. The hydrogen could then be stored until used as fuel. It could be distributed through existing pipe lines. The problem is that not many vehicles use natural gas powered engines.

However, when you burn gasoline in an engine you get carbon dioxide and water. If solar energy (electricity) could be used to force the process in reverse then from carbon dioxide and water you could produce gasoline. I asked a chemistry student if this could be done and he said "Funny you should mention that. I know some grad students who are working on it."

That's an ideal solution. Not only would we be using solar to produce gasoline but we'd be sucking carbon dioxide, the major greenhouse gas, out of the atmosphere as well, killing two birds with one stone: cheap energy plus an end to global warming. I sounds too good to be true so it probably won't work, dammit.

Can't have an end to the global warming scam, too many liberals are making too much money off of it. Not to mention all those third world countries are relying on the modernized countries to subsidize their economies.

davew
01-23-2018, 10:03 AM
I wonder what a 30% import tariff on panels will do?

FantasticDan
01-24-2018, 12:20 PM
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/956196662149550080

reckless
01-24-2018, 03:17 PM
So go buy stock.

Better yet, hcap should buy solar panels.

davew
01-24-2018, 05:42 PM
Better yet, hcap should buy solar panels.

If hcap lives in a 'progressive' state, there are probably nice tax credits to 'save' the state from global warming...

chadk66
01-24-2018, 07:11 PM
I priced solar for my home. It would take 55 years to recoup the cost. Absolute non starter for me. What a joke.

Red Knave
01-24-2018, 08:46 PM
The hydrogen could then be stored until used as fuel. It could be distributed through existing pipe lines. The problem is that not many vehicles use natural gas powered engines.
Hydrogen does not equal natural gas. Hydrogen can be used in fuel cells which, right now, are still pretty expensive. Interesting that how they work now is using a chemical reaction to create electricity. It seems like there would be no gain using solar to create hydrogen to create electricity.
Natural gas is mostly methane. Gasoline engines can be retrofitted to burn natural gas but not hydrogen.

davew
01-24-2018, 09:01 PM
Hydrogen does not equal natural gas. Hydrogen can be used in fuel cells which, right now, are still pretty expensive. Interesting that how they work now is using a chemical reaction to create electricity. It seems like there would be no gain using solar to create hydrogen to create electricity.
Natural gas is mostly methane. Gasoline engines can be retrofitted to burn natural gas but not hydrogen.

Are you sure??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_fuel

elysiantraveller
01-24-2018, 09:01 PM
I priced solar for my home. It would take 55 years to recoup the cost. Absolute non starter for me. What a joke.

It's not even close for me. Solar Tile Roofs crush in terms of savings but the average lifespan where I live is 15-20 years so you have to factor that in.

JustRalph
01-24-2018, 11:02 PM

25 on mine and I live in an area with much sun.

It’s getting closer.......:lol:

elysiantraveller
01-24-2018, 11:16 PM
Are you guys pricing assuming you'd never have to replace the roof again? Tesla has a lifetime warranty. Plus any power surplus isn't being accounted for which the power company would credit back to you.

JustRalph
01-24-2018, 11:38 PM
Are you guys pricing assuming you'd never have to replace the roof again? Tesla has a lifetime warranty. Plus any power surplus isn't being accounted for which the power company would credit back to you.

I used the formula provided by the electric co-op. You submit your info and they send you an estimate etc. they are all for it. They didn’t seem to blink at 24 yrs and 7 months.

elysiantraveller
01-24-2018, 11:41 PM
I used the formula provided by the electric co-op. You submit your info and they send you an estimate etc. they are all for it. They didn’t seem to blink at 24 yrs and 7 months.

Got a link?

I'll need a new roof in the next couple of years so if I decide I'm staying put it is something I'd consider. Would be that or metal.

JustRalph
01-25-2018, 12:09 AM
Got a link?

I'll need a new roof in the next couple of years so if I decide I'm staying put it is something I'd consider. Would be that or metal.

It wasn’t an automated link, it was a form for customers who were interested, to fill out. You just answered some questions and they sent you info back a few days later.

I found this link in my history, I think it’s connected to it

www.apserve3.nrel.gov/PVWatts_Viewer/index.html

davew
01-25-2018, 12:20 AM

what is the expected lifetime of Tesla? not all power companies are generous with their purchases.

chadk66
01-25-2018, 06:51 AM
I have a fifty plus year roof. I have a 26'x54' south/southwest facing roof. The ultimate setup for solar panels. I submitted my electrical use to several companies. The best/lowest setup was 68K and like 65 years or so to recover that cost. So it was laughable at best. Going to all LED lights and installing a pellet/wood burning stove would destroy that method by an enormous amount. Solar will be one hell of a tough sell in probably half this country. So if you think solar is taking over this country your living in a complete fantasy land lol.

elysiantraveller
01-25-2018, 08:22 AM
I never said it was taking over just that in some areas it's not necessarily a bad move. Tiled roofs will last a lot longer than shingles for instance. As far as the waeeanry from the previous post they are covered for the life of the home.

If you plan on staying put for a long time the price point is worth considering for some areas.

Red Knave
01-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Are you sure??
About what?
I was mostly responding to Actor's assertion that hydrogen was natural gas. It's not although there is a hydrogen component to the methane in it.
Also, it's difficult and expensive to extract hydrogen from water and then to store/transport/convert it to energy after that as the wiki illustrates.