PDA

View Full Version : International Gold Cup 10/28/17

Track Collector
10-23-2017, 04:30 PM
I just purchased tickets (actually a parking pass which serves as admittance) to attend this year's pari-mutuel jump races held at the Great Meadow track in The Plains, VA. The area I have selected is the "North Rail".

Past Performances will be available, although I have almost no experience handicapping these type of races. I will as usual have binoculars with me, but I have no idea if and or how much visibility I will have to the live race, so this is going to be an interesting experience to say the least. I have no plans to tailgate, but will likely have picnic basket, blanket, and law chairs in tow.

Anyone else ever been to Great Meadow before? Hoping to get some previous visit comments.

Scanman
10-23-2017, 10:33 PM
Fantastic to see that you are "dipping your toe" in the jumps pond. I think you'll have a fabulous time. It is quite possible that I'm the only other forum member who has been to Great Meadow (hope I'm wrong). Great Meadow has a special place in my heart, as it was my 200th racecourse visit.

At that time, I had my owner's credentials, so I was able to walk to course prior to racing. For me, it is the best course design on the steeplechase circuit. The 2nd race (The Steeplethon) will be the most interesting race. It is classified as a timber, but the horses will encounter a number of different obstacles, but the most unique will be the pond that they will have to run through. It is the only one of it's kind here in the US. Looking at the entries, the flat races will have full fields, so there's a good chance the odds will be on the generous side.

I wish I could join you on this visit, but at a minimum, I will be sure to post my picks; hoping that you will have a profitable and enjoyable day out.

olddaddy
10-23-2017, 11:37 PM
Do any ADWs take wagers for that day?

Si2see
10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
I haven't been to Great Meadow but I have experience playing jump races at colonial downs for over 10 years. Connections are what I normally play more than anything, and if a horse has a lot of jump experience that normally finishes the course.

I am sure Lilith Boucher will have some in that day she is an underrated distance and jump trainer in my opinion.

Jason