PDA

View Full Version : Santa Anita requests option of seven-race programs

Al Gobbi
10-23-2017, 02:07 PM
ARCADIA, Calif. – Santa Anita has requested the option to run seven-race programs at its discretion on weekdays during a 102-day meeting from Dec. 26 to June 24, 2018, according to documents filed with the California Horse Racing Board.

The track’s operating license application for the season is scheduled for a hearing at the racing board’s monthly meeting Thursday at Santa Anita.

Santa Anita’s license application states the track will run seven to nine races on weekdays and nine to 12 on most weekends, holidays, and on opening day. There also is a request to run from nine to 14 races on major racing days coinciding with high-profile events such as the Santa Anita Handicap, Santa Anita Derby, or Triple Crown. Earlier this year, the track ran 11 races on those days.
http://www.drf.com/news/santa-anita-requests-option-seven-race-programs

RunForTheRoses
10-23-2017, 02:22 PM
I guess it is a sign of the times with the horse shortage. I don't like these small programs with 8 races the P5, early and late P4s overlap.I'd rather they ran less days.

Track Collector
10-23-2017, 03:41 PM
In California, Golden Gate was running 7-race cards not too long ago as I recall.

RunForTheRoses
10-23-2017, 03:51 PM
In California, Golden Gate was running 7-race cards not too long ago as I recall.

Yeah,that's right. And Monmouth @Meadowlands had a paltry 6 a fewnights.

PaceAdvantage
10-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Monmouth @ MED has been running 6 race cards for years now I think...

dilanesp
10-23-2017, 04:53 PM
I really don't understand why running a 7 race card is better than just shuttering the track that day and running more races on the weekends.

therussmeister
10-23-2017, 05:39 PM
They probably make more on admissions and concessions and wagering on simulcasts this way.

woodbinepmi
10-23-2017, 06:02 PM
I really don't understand why running a 7 race card is better than just shuttering the track that day and running more races on the weekends.

Wait for it, it's coming.

Tom
10-23-2017, 08:23 PM
Makes sense.
SA/GG 7&7 - alternate races.
Pic 4 at both tracks, DD at both tracks..better than 4 and 5 horse fields.

airford1
10-23-2017, 10:13 PM
How can the work force be supported from 3 days of racing? The Property is worth a TON of money and we have heard people tell us Santa Anita is rolling in money based on them seeing one day with 25,000 people on opening day. Put a fork in west coast racing and Santa Anita.
We have radio stations with 3 or 4 sponsors, i would like to see them (Radio) try to develop new business by giving air time that is not sold at a cut rate price. Run adds and get payed from a % of increased attendance. Though, because both L.A. Radio and fan based venues are struggling in L.A. California.

dilanesp
10-24-2017, 12:16 AM
How can the work force be supported from 3 days of racing? The Property is worth a TON of money and we have heard people tell us Santa Anita is rolling in money based on them seeing one day with 25,000 people on opening day. Put a fork in west coast racing and Santa Anita.
We have radio stations with 3 or 4 sponsors, i would like to see them (Radio) try to develop new business by giving air time that is not sold at a cut rate price. Run adds and get payed from a % of increased attendance. Though, because both L.A. Radio and fan based venues are struggling in L.A. California.

Santa Anita was making money before the past year or so, but they had a very bad yeat.

SandyW
10-24-2017, 03:20 AM
I'm sure Santa Anita is going broke charging $8.00 for a beer and $6.50 for hot dogs. The greed is beyond belief.

airford1
10-24-2017, 09:34 AM
Hello? Have any of you been to Santa Anita in the last 5 years? The place is EMPTY. They would have to charge 100 dollars a beer to cover the cost. Everybody coming in is on a comp ticket. Like it or not it's over. Food Trucks in the infield won't save it.

chiguy
10-24-2017, 10:57 AM
I think it would be difficult to staff the front side if they went to three day racing. I would think, but I am no expert, that it would have a negative impact on the track, specifically the turf course to run so many races in a shorter time period. Maybe somebody with more knowledge could comment on that.

dilanesp
10-24-2017, 04:15 PM
I think it would be difficult to staff the front side if they went to three day racing. I would think, but I am no expert, that it would have a negative impact on the track, specifically the turf course to run so many races in a shorter time period. Maybe somebody with more knowledge could comment on that.

Well, much of the rest of the world runs on turf and runs a couple of days a week. That would suggest it isn't impossible to do.

airford1
10-24-2017, 04:22 PM
In the last 20 years Santa Anita has been installing new turf every 3rd year and still don't have it right. This is California and they can't afford to put the water on it that it needs. 3 weeks into the meet and it looks like Gulfstream with all the sand being kicked up.

GMB@BP
10-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Well, much of the rest of the world runs on turf and runs a couple of days a week. That would suggest it isn't impossible to do.

are any of those 6 month meets?

ultracapper
10-24-2017, 05:36 PM
The threats to Santa Anita's existence have been loud and clear for years now. The Stronach camp has commented many times that that particular piece of property must ultimately reflect it's value. Ritvo echoed that continually when he became stationed there. "Highest and best use" or "maximized value" wasn't something I remember ever hearing, but it's clear they want that piece of property to carry it's weight.

chiguy
10-24-2017, 06:26 PM
Couple of things, much of the rest of the world also gets lots of natural watering from the sky and many places while they race for a couple or few days in a row also then get weeks off for the turf to repair.

With Stronach recently announcing an increase in his involvement in Cal Breds and moving some breeding operations here, I have to believe that he wouldn't be doing that with an eye towards closing Santa Anita. I could see knocking down the grandstand, building something smaller and using some of the land in the parking lots for a mixed used complex.

dilanesp
10-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Couple of things, much of the rest of the world also gets lots of natural watering from the sky and many places while they race for a couple or few days in a row also then get weeks off for the turf to repair.

With Stronach recently announcing an increase in his involvement in Cal Breds and moving some breeding operations here, I have to believe that he wouldn't be doing that with an eye towards closing Santa Anita. I could see knocking down the grandstand, building something smaller and using some of the land in the parking lots for a mixed used complex.

The thing is, SA actually draws big crowds on the big racedays. So knocking down the grandstand, in addition to drawing fire from perservationist groups, isn't really a great idea unless he is going to close the plant entirely.

airford1
10-24-2017, 07:37 PM
The big crowds are far and few these days and a big crowd is 24,000 we don't see the 35,000 to 60,000 that were there 25 to 30 years ago. As far as bring breeding operations to California, I think that is a last ditch effort to put horses in the barns and as soon as Frank passes away the property will be high density housing with the growth off mass transit. Should of seen the place in the 70s and 80s. Nothing like it.

lamboguy
10-24-2017, 08:57 PM
The big crowds are far and few these days and a big crowd is 24,000 we don't see the 35,000 to 60,000 that were there 25 to 30 years ago. As far as bring breeding operations to California, I think that is a last ditch effort to put horses in the barns and as soon as Frank passes away the property will be high density housing with the growth off mass transit. Should of seen the place in the 70s and 80s. Nothing like it.Santa Anita at one time was a pare shared reit. i think the property lost that status when Abe Gosman owned the place and Clinton got rid of that grandfathered in loophole. Gosman owned the race track but didn't run it, inside that he owned LaQuita Inns and a very large healthcare company called Mediplex. he lost everything when he lost the status.

at the time he owned the property i knew there were provisions that the land where the race track is could never be developed or used for anything other than a race track. is there something that has changed since then?

Psychotic Parakeet
10-25-2017, 11:11 AM
I don't believe SA will ever get bulldozed. It is a designated historical landmark because of its involvement with WWII.

dilanesp
10-25-2017, 12:24 PM
I don't believe SA will ever get bulldozed. It is a designated historical landmark because of its involvement with WWII.

I said this back in the Saratoga thread, but that means little. Soldier Field was a hisoric landmark and the Bears tore it apart.

Nobody is going to force Stronach to maintain a defunct racetrack.

Al Gobbi
10-25-2017, 12:49 PM
More changes apparently on the horizon at Santa Anita
https://twitter.com/DRFGrening/status/923217655271698432