PDA

View Full Version : Best Grilled Cheese

elysiantraveller
10-20-2017, 02:56 PM
Keep it limited to bread brand and type of cheese(s) and quantity. None of those other fixins!

And Go!

On second thought you can add fixins but you gotta throw up a basic as well.

jay68802
10-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Country Italian bread and = parts jalapeno cheddar and swiss.

thaskalos
10-20-2017, 03:11 PM
A thick slice of Greek kefalograviera between two slices of wheat-free German pumpernickel.

And the thread starter should be the FIRST to submit a choice in these types of threads...IMO.

elysiantraveller
10-20-2017, 03:42 PM
Regular old fashioned:

American and provolone on thick cut white bread.

Other:

Cream cheese and thin prosciutto on a swirled rye.

ldiatone
10-20-2017, 03:59 PM
open face: tomato-bacon-american cheese on white toast melted under the broiler

white bread-american cheese. but coat bread w/ grated parm cheese and grill parm sides down.

brooklyn chicken salad: whole wheat bread,chicken salad, american cheese bacon then grill.

Monte Cristo: rye bread, mustard swiss cheese, ham, turkey. dipped in beaten eggs then grilled.

RichieP
10-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Asiago, Swiss, sharp provolone on Ciabatta

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2017, 04:06 PM
Good Lord, you guys have made me very hungry. :)

ldiatone
10-20-2017, 06:44 PM
open face: tomato-bacon-american cheese on white toast melted under the broiler

white bread-american cheese. but coat bread w/ grated parm cheese and grill parm sides down.

brooklyn chicken salad: whole wheat bread,chicken salad, american cheese bacon then grill.

Monte Cristo: rye bread, mustard swiss cheese, ham, turkey. dipped in beaten eggs then grilled.

oh yea...2 french bread slices coated with cream cheese and marmalade. then dipped in beaten eggs with cream, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla dip in and soak for just a few seconds. then roll in crushed frosted flakes. then grill

Dave Schwartz
10-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Russian rye and cheddar, but it is the grilling that makes it special.

1. Butter both sides of the bread.
2. Put 1st slice in and allow it to only lightly brown.
3. Turn 1st slice and add the 2nd slice.
4. Turn them both and add the cheese.
5. Turn again to finish.

All sides of the bread are toasted and the cheese should have oozed nicely.

(It is a shame that the special fixins' were not permitted in this thread.)

Almost any cheese works great - depending upon your taste. I really enjoy pepper jack, Swiss and a couple of others. Just none of that fake stuff labeled "cheese food."

Tom
10-20-2017, 10:49 PM
Cheese Whiz on Wonder.

kingfin66
10-20-2017, 11:03 PM
Cheese Whiz on Wonder.

Okay, that is gross! :puke:

kingfin66
10-20-2017, 11:14 PM
Oroweat Buttermilk bread.

Tillamook Medium Cheddar Slices

Butter

Butter the outside of the bread, slap them on a 325 degree griddle, add 2 slices of cheese to each side. When the bread is perfectly toasted, but the sides together and enjoy. Sprinkle in a little bit of granulated garlic if you like!

Enjoy with some delicious, homemade tomato soup.

Tom
10-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Okay, that is gross! :puke:
Almost as good as Spam on rye.

ldiatone
10-21-2017, 12:37 AM

https://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE

ElKabong
10-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Bagette, grated quality cheese, tomatoes, garlic, basil, place on a broiler. Makes for a great personal pizza. Lot of taste and very little fat content.

ElKabong
10-21-2017, 03:18 AM
Simple, low fat quick snack. Heat an iron skillet , place a corn tortilla in, add a touch of butter. Flip as needed. Three or four tortillas and you're good to go.

ElKabong
10-21-2017, 03:20 AM
A thick slice of Greek kefalograviera between two slices of wheat-free German pumpernickel.

And the thread starter should be the FIRST to submit a choice in these types of threads...IMO.

You'll like this.. A Greek restaurant near the house has a sign as you enter....MAKE AMERICA GREEK AGAIN

Good food there btw

thaskalos
10-21-2017, 04:12 AM
You'll like this.. A Greek restaurant near the house has a sign as you enter....MAKE AMERICA GREEK AGAIN

Good food there btw

It's very difficult to find a Greek restaurant that serves bad food. Order the lamb with artichokes, accompanied by a glass or two of Agioritiko white wine...and you'll be a fan of Greek food for life. And don't tell me that you don't like artichokes...because I didn't think that I liked them either.

Inner Dirt
10-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Cheese Whiz on Wonder.

I loved that when I was a kid.

Inner Dirt
10-21-2017, 06:03 AM

I liked that as a kid too, spam was a staple when we went camping.

PICSIX
10-21-2017, 07:01 AM
This one from Tom N Chee is very tasty:

Tom
10-21-2017, 02:37 PM
There two kinds of food.

1. those you cover with cheese
2. those you cover with chocolate

xtb
10-21-2017, 04:00 PM
Pizza grilled cheese

Butter the outside of 2 slices of bread.
Spread spaghetti sauce on the inside of the slices.
Middle of the sandwich goes: 1 slice of mozzarella cheese, 4-8 pieces of sliced pepperoni, second slice of mozzarella.
Grill both sides on a skillet.

My kids love it.

Inner Dirt
10-21-2017, 04:01 PM
There two kinds of food.

1. those you cover with cheese
2. those you cover with chocolate

:lol: I will skip the chocolate as I didn't even have a sweet tooth as a kid.
On the other hand I have put sliced cheese on homemade cheese bread that I spread cream cheese on. I will trade #2 for hot peppers, hot sauce or hot salsa. I believe Tabasco can fix most anything.

Tom
10-21-2017, 04:12 PM
Tabasco can burn a hole in your stomach, then cauterize it!
A balanced sauce for sure!

BaffertsWig
10-22-2017, 12:08 PM
Pizza grilled cheese

Middle of the sandwich goes: 1 slice of mozzarella cheese, 4-8 pieces of sliced pepperoni, second slice of mozzarella.

My kids love it.

This, except I don't put the pepperoni on there...

ldiatone
10-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Pizza grilled cheese

My kids love it.
good one!

elysiantraveller
10-22-2017, 07:23 PM
:lol: I will skip the chocolate as I didn't even have a sweet tooth as a kid.
On the other hand I have put sliced cheese on homemade cheese bread that I spread cream cheese on. I will trade #2 for hot peppers, hot sauce or hot salsa. I believe Tabasco can fix most anything.

Sriracha is my go-to hot sauce for most things. I use it basically in place of ketchup. However, certain hot sauces seem like they were made to go on certain things. Cholula belongs on breakfast food for instance.

Robert Fischer
10-22-2017, 09:14 PM
basic = sharp cheddar on white bread, grilled in butter

super sandwich = a cheddar omelette(w/ meat, mushrooms pictured) surrounded by cheddar cheese, on french bread, grilled in butter

http://i67.tinypic.com/a9ycy8.jpg

OntheRail
10-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Thick cut Italian bread... buttered both sides... Velveeta cheese grilled crispy brown... sided with bowl of tomato soup.

Robert Fischer
10-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Pizza grilled cheese

My kids love it.

This sounds great.

I love pizza, and until I discovered that provolone was mostly lactose free, pizza was a forbidden fruit. Want to try your recipe.

Also wondering about inverting/stacking two slices of leftover pizza (cheese-on-cheese on the inside) perhaps cutting off the 'pizza bone', perhaps w/ a slice of provolone in the middle, and then grilling in butter. I think it could work with the right toppings. Girlfriend says 'no, the pizza is too thick'.

woodtoo
10-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Open faced grilled white bread topped with smoked hickory cheese covered with sliced crispy precooked bacon.

ldiatone
10-25-2017, 12:57 AM
This sounds great.

I love pizza, and until I discovered that provolone was mostly lactose free, pizza was a forbidden fruit. Want to try your recipe.

Also wondering about inverting/stacking two slices of leftover pizza (cheese-on-cheese on the inside) perhaps cutting off the 'pizza bone', perhaps w/ a slice of provolone in the middle, and then grilling in butter. I think it could work with the right toppings. Girlfriend says 'no, the pizza is too thick'.

try it! you do mean the thick crust "pizza bone". once you flip it place some weight on top to "mush" it. heavy pot large closed can some thing like that.

ldiatone
10-25-2017, 01:03 AM
ok another one.....2 slices rye bread 2 hot dogs sauerkraut swiss cheese 1000 island dressing.
split the dogs and just grill the bread. warm kraut and dogs place the cheese on the bread.... a hot dog reuben!!