PDA

View Full Version : time to narrow it down

masterpeg
08-14-2004, 03:53 AM
Ok..I read all 17 pages of the thread you gave me the link to and researched ebay and amazon.com's collection, checked my county libraries inventory and finally....I asked my wife if it was ok. Im ready to invest in some help. I was going crazy trying to weed through all the books you guys listed and keeping the likes and dislikes straight with each poster so I decided to simplify the process. I am looking for the most bang for my buck because Im not sure my wife will give me carte blanche ever again, so Im taking advantage now.

All Im asking if for you to choose the One book you think gives you the most bang for your buck. On Sunday evening I will purchase the 3 or 4 most chosen books from this poll (depending on price).

BTW, why are Mitchells books so darned expensive.....one for 95 dollars (thoroughbred handicapping as an investment) and another 70 (commonsense betting).

thought I'd post the costs, but in reality, I realize it means little...unless you buying a Mitchell book.

foul
08-14-2004, 10:19 AM
I also teach school and handicapping is my hobby. I have read a number of books over the last two years. I suggest you buy "The Handicapper"s Condition Book" by James Quinn. It will give you good selection and elimination guide lines.

good luck

Foul

takeout
08-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by masterpeg
BTW, why are Mitchells books so darned expensive.....

I've wondered about that myself.

GameTheory
08-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by takeout
I've wondered about that myself. Supply and demand. You can often get Commonsense Handicapping for $20 or so on ebay. Commonsense Betting is much more scarce.

masterpeg
08-14-2004, 01:12 PM
I've read Quinns book and a lot of the others you guys have mentioned through our county library a few years ago when I really got into this for the first time....took a bunch of notes. I just wan't confident that, because of their age, they were still relevant.

BillW
08-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by masterpeg
I've read Quinns book and a lot of the others you guys have mentioned through our county library a few years ago when I really got into this for the first time....took a bunch of notes. I just wan't confident that, because of their age, they were still relevant.

masterpeg,

The most likely way you are going to get through your present situation is to keep records and determine for yourself what is relevant and what works. No book is going to give you a 7 step formula for winning. Steve Fierro's 4 Quarters of Horse Investing will give you some ideas along these lines.

Best of luck,

Bill

Speed Figure
08-14-2004, 01:47 PM
You could just read quinns website and get most of what's in his books.

http://turfpedia.com/index.html

plainolebill
08-14-2004, 03:45 PM
Whatever books you decide to buy, you may be able to find them used at this website:

ABE Books (http://www.abebooks.com/)

kenwoodallpromos
08-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Bought some; great source.

Larry Hamilton
08-20-2004, 06:44 AM
The notion that purchasing the correct book(s) with spousal approval and spending the time to study them implies that the ANSWER is in some ju-ju book out there somewhere. That book does not exist. It's the first law of business--Caveat Emptor. I feel confident in saying that book doesn't exist because if you had a road map to fame and glory, would you sell it, hell, would you even tell anyone you had it?

I don't know how anyone who must maintain a full time job and a full time relationship will be able to invest sufficient time, education, and money in this "game" to conquer it. For the past 10 years I have put in 16 hours a day, every day and I have as many questions now as I had at the beginning of this lifetime trip. I am not bitching about what I have put into the game as I have enjoyed my life, but I don't have the pressure of a job and a wife who must pinch the family pennies.

Most of you guys are so much brighter than I, you can come in here, get a few quick tips and presto chango--this game is easy and you are now a winner. My advice to those of you who are unwilling or unable to make the required investment and who are addicted to the action is bet two bucks on your pick and have a good time. I did not write these paragraphs to insult or berate anyone, I am merely attempting to point out this is a tough game to beat. Without the proper and meaningful preparation, you're going to get your head handed to you.

melman
08-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Hey Larry, I agree with the overall tone of your comment. However I also think some books are a lot better "buy" then others. Of course no one book is going to "do it all" as you state very well. One of the most important and overlooked area's is that of betting and how you handle your money. In the area Steve Fierro's Four Quarter's book is well worth the money. And for someone just starting or not keeping records of bets I also think just betting two bucks and having some fun is a very good idea. Nice post.

Speed Figure
08-20-2004, 11:28 AM
If anyone wants to trade a Handicapping Magic book for Figure Handicapping let me know.

ranchwest
02-11-2022, 09:17 PM
Quirin's Winning at the Races has to be one of the best bang for the buck books. You should be able to pick it up cheap and it has a lot of ideas about the basics of the selection process.

Dave Schwartz
02-12-2022, 01:40 PM
And, just like that -- like the locusts --- a 17-year old thread was brought back to life.

RanchWest, we may never forgive you for this. LOL
:lol::lol:

Do you realize how many people will be writing to Speed Figure for a trade? LOL

ranchwest
02-12-2022, 07:51 PM
And, just like that -- like the locusts --- a 17-year old thread was brought back to life.

RanchWest, we may never forgive you for this. LOL
:lol::lol:

Do you realize how many people will be writing to Speed Figure for a trade? LOL

I don't know how I saw it! I normally only look at New Posts. My apologies.

Dave Schwartz
02-12-2022, 08:21 PM
I don't know how I saw it! I normally only look at New Posts. My apologies.

LOL

I thought it was funny.