PDA

View Full Version : anyone else getting excited about the BC?

dilanesp
10-18-2017, 05:37 PM
I still wish it were at Santa Anita and not Del Mar, but I got a nice hotel room in San Diego and can't wait to be there.

cj
10-18-2017, 05:45 PM
I still wish it were at Santa Anita and not Del Mar, but I got a nice hotel room in San Diego and can't wait to be there.

I am, really looking forward to it. Enjoyed Santa Anita last year even with nightmare parking lot. Staying in walking distance this year, should be a blast.

LemonSoupKid
10-18-2017, 06:27 PM
I'm getting a Breeder's (Sprint) tickets, should be fun.

Which are your favorite races?

I've tried to find the wagering menu, they don't have a proper page for it.

dilanesp
10-18-2017, 06:28 PM
I am, really looking forward to it. Enjoyed Santa Anita last year even with nightmare parking lot. Staying in walking distance this year, should be a blast.

You know, I didn't hate the parking last year, but that's because I remember going to the Santa Anita Handicap in the 1980's (they had something like 85,000 at the track in 1985!) so I remember when it was worse.

elhelmete
10-18-2017, 07:09 PM
You know, I didn't hate the parking last year, but that's because I remember going to the Santa Anita Handicap in the 1980's (they had something like 85,000 at the track in 1985!) so I remember when it was worse.

I went in 2009 and had no trouble parking.

In 2012 it was a nightmare.

Not sure what changed.

Afleet
10-18-2017, 07:43 PM
I'm getting a Breeder's (Sprint) tickets, should be fun.

Which are your favorite races?

I've tried to find the wagering menu, they don't have a proper page for it.

I don't think the wagering menu is out yet-I searched for it. I know they are doing a regular pick 6 no jackpot wager at Del Mar-which makes sense.

I like the ladies classic the best. With Inside Information passing that brought up a lot of memories. Still can't believe I lost on Heavenly Prize vs One Dreamer and would have lost again the next year but she was coupled w/Inside Information. I will go to my grave thinking she was the best filly at that time.

I was at the Tiznow vs Giants Causeway throwdown at CD. I was 4th row by the 1/16 pole. I was live in the pick 3 to both of them and they ran like a team down the stretch. The crowd was roaring. Being there w/my now deceased dad is something I will never forget.

Thats why I love horse racing!!

Parkview_Pirate
10-18-2017, 08:46 PM
IMHO, the two day format and more divisions has watered down the effect of "Championship" day, but there will still be some good racing. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I've had my biggest winning BC days at Belmont and SA, but will keep an open mind for Del Mar. Hope the BC never returns to Arlington, Woodbine or Lone Star....those events I got crushed, spindled and mutilated.

Fager Fan
10-18-2017, 10:54 PM
IMHO, the two day format and more divisions has watered down the effect of "Championship" day, but there will still be some good racing. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

I've had my biggest winning BC days at Belmont and SA, but will keep an open mind for Del Mar. Hope the BC never returns to Arlington, Woodbine or Lone Star....those events I got crushed, spindled and mutilated.

This. Plus this year is anti-climatic in some ways with favorite horses going out or not running at top form or ready for top form (Unique Bella) by BC time. I'll watch but as has been the case since they added the nonsense races, I only care about and consider the winners of the original 7 plus F&M Turf to really be BC champs.

LemonSoupKid
10-18-2017, 11:25 PM
I don't think the wagering menu is out yet-I searched for it. I know they are doing a regular pick 6 no jackpot wager at Del Mar-which makes sense.

I like the ladies classic the best. With Inside Information passing that brought up a lot of memories. Still can't believe I lost on Heavenly Prize vs One Dreamer and would have lost again the next year but she was coupled w/Inside Information. I will go to my grave thinking she was the best filly at that time.

I was at the Tiznow vs Giants Causeway throwdown at CD. I was 4th row by the 1/16 pole. I was live in the pick 3 to both of them and they ran like a team down the stretch. The crowd was roaring. Being there w/my now deceased dad is something I will never forget.

Thats why I love horse racing!!

Funny, I was there at CD in 2000 with my dad at the 1/4 probably, too. I recall a guy next to us who was live on (just) Giants Causeway for a big payout, I believe the P4. I didn't play the wagers a lot (or big) back then so only now that I've played, lost and won a lot of them, I know how brutal getting that close to a big score can be.

I go with my dad nearly ever year now, we've hit I think 3 SA, Keeneland, and this will be the first time either of us has been to Del Mar.

BrentT
10-18-2017, 11:51 PM
Always some great races, and great payouts. Just got to pick em right in the big payoff races

LemonSoupKid
10-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Always some great races, and great payouts. Just got to pick em right in the big payoff races

Looking forward to the BC Sprint.

I'm wondering how big the track will factor in, seems like Arrogate has had a heck of a time getting used to it down there. A lot of the horses will not have ever run there (I think) either.

Afleet
10-19-2017, 06:24 PM
Funny, I was there at CD in 2000 with my dad at the 1/4 probably, too. I recall a guy next to us who was live on (just) Giants Causeway for a big payout, I believe the P4. I didn't play the wagers a lot (or big) back then so only now that I've played, lost and won a lot of them, I know how brutal getting that close to a big score can be.

I go with my dad nearly ever year now, we've hit I think 3 SA, Keeneland, and this will be the first time either of us has been to Del Mar.

you will have a great time!

MonmouthParkJoe
10-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Looking forward to it big time. My two favorite days of the year, along with Belmont Stakes Day. I will be at the Borgata for both days this year. Debated going to Delmar but cant get away that long with work, but I will go next year.

Word on the street is similar wagering format as prior years. Really wish they had a late pick 5, esp with the better races that come later. Leaves much to be desired.

CincyHorseplayer
10-21-2017, 08:13 AM
I am definitely excited! I would say I am apprehensive about the location switch within the state as I have done well at the BC at Santa Anita. But overall I have been a better player at Del Mar. I understand the general nature of the track and how it applies to handicapping. So I am highly enthusiastic! This should be a fun ride! Good luck!

plainolebill
10-22-2017, 02:05 AM
I'm more excited than I thought I might be, the Classic looks like it may come up real strong and possibly a good betting race.

I'm looking forward to the Juvenile too, the guy that trains the favorite, Mick Ruis bought and trains a bunch of horses and is doing pretty well.

Lemon Drop Husker
10-22-2017, 07:37 AM
Can't wait. This will crazily be my first visit to Del Mar.:headbanger:

We supposedly have some pretty incredible box seats this year, and parking isn't a problem with Uber. :D

Classic is always great, the Turf is always intriguing, and the Distaff usually delivers a top notch performance as well. The Turf Mile looks to be really setting up for a dandy this year.

Always love the Sprint, and especially the Turf Sprint since madness on the tote usually plays out.

My favorite race, year in and year out that doesn't get much pub is the Dirt Mile. The '2nd tier' older males looks to have a wide open field this year with the hopeful likes of Mor Spirit, Accelerate, Battle of Midway, Practical Joke, Cupid, and maybe even Midnight Storm.

CincyHorseplayer
10-22-2017, 10:45 AM
Can't wait. This will crazily be my first visit to Del Mar.:headbanger:

We supposedly have some pretty incredible box seats this year, and parking isn't a problem with Uber. :D

Classic is always great, the Turf is always intriguing, and the Distaff usually delivers a top notch performance as well. The Turf Mile looks to be really setting up for a dandy this year.

Always love the Sprint, and especially the Turf Sprint since madness on the tote usually plays out.

My favorite race, year in and year out that doesn't get much pub is the Dirt Mile. The '2nd tier' older males looks to have a wide open field this year with the hopeful likes of Mor Spirit, Accelerate, Battle of Midway, Practical Joke, Cupid, and maybe even Midnight Storm.

Uber, a cab, a limo. If you are going who the hell wants to drive! I wait til about 3 oclock to bust out of the starting gate and party. All the hard work is done! Kill it Lemon!:ThmbUp::D

dilanesp
10-22-2017, 01:03 PM
Uber, a cab, a limo. If you are going who the hell wants to drive! I wait til about 3 oclock to bust out of the starting gate and party. All the hard work is done! Kill it Lemon!:ThmbUp::D

Take an Uber, take a cab, take a limo. Time to update the Crosby song.

Afleet
10-22-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm more excited than I thought I might be, the Classic looks like it may come up real strong and possibly a good betting race.

I'm looking forward to the Juvenile too, the guy that trains the favorite, Mick Ruis bought and trains a bunch of horses and is doing pretty well.

Did you see Collected's last work? Visually super impressive

cj
10-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Take an Uber, take a cab, take a limo. Time to update the Crosby song.

An Uber won't be any picnic at the BC, I can tell you that much from experience at the Pacific Classic. Total chaos.

castaway01
10-23-2017, 07:53 AM

It's nice not to have to sit behind the wheel for three hours in the parking lot after the races (obviously more so for the drinkers, but the Uber or limo still has to get to the site. With traffic, they're not going to have any easier time than you are in your car, unless you're paying to have them sit there a long time. Better at least hit a Pick 3 if you're doing that.

Robert Fischer
10-23-2017, 08:12 AM
Best (exit) strategy for the event-goer (you) is to be willing to walk 10-15min or so to exit the venue and reach the open streets. Then call the Uber for a smooth pick-up.

Uber at big events involves some logistics.

I did some part-time Uber driving at events. Can be a nightmare/comedy.

Streets immediately surrounding events are generally closed and have a security presence.

Normally the passenger calls the Uber inside the event. The Uber driver (who is either circling, or parked near the desired meet-up opening), then has to attempt to give walking-directions to an inebriated passenger. I had maybe a 50% success rate. Have to guess that new drivers and foreign drivers struggled.

Lemon Drop Husker
10-23-2017, 10:04 AM
An Uber won't be any picnic at the BC, I can tell you that much from experience at the Pacific Classic. Total chaos.

Done the Uber/cab route the last 2 BCs.

Has worked great. Simply walk 5 to 10 minutes away from the hubbub and have them pick you up at that spot. Might have to walk a bit further at Del Mar this time, but I'm not crippled so not a huge deal and the extra exercise certainly never hurts anybody. :)

dilanesp
10-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Take the free double decker shuttle bus to the Solana Beach train station, and then uber from there....

elhelmete
10-23-2017, 12:05 PM
Take the free double decker shuttle bus to the Solana Beach train station, and then uber from there....

I wouldn't think that bus would have any easier time getting in or out than other vehicles.

What I might do (other than hang around for an extra hour or so) is walk around toward the training track and up the stairs to Via de la Valle and then to Cedros or something to call and Uber.

jay68802
10-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Just go to the beach,have a few beers enjoy the local wildlife, and wait.

dilanesp
10-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Just go to the beach,have a few beers enjoy the local wildlife, and wait.

I haven't looked at post times but it wouldn't surprise me if they run until close to darkness on Saturday. They did at Santa Anita the last few times.