PDA

View Full Version : TVG email “TVG Wagering Account Update”

Southbaygent
10-17-2017, 10:00 AM
So did anyone else receive an email from TVG stating:

“During a recent review of your account, it was determined that beginning today, you will no longer be able to participate in any of TVG's offers and/or promotions. This includes offers like our Money Back Specials or Win Bonuses and is effective today.”

Mind you I’m a small bettor on TVG, I do like their “money back” promotion where you get your win bet back if your win horse comes in place/show. Maybe they had to refund me $10 too many times :lol:

Any thought? No big deal....I also thought the wording of the email a bit rude.

jeebus1083
10-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Someone posted something similar on Facebook. That is BS. And if you live in NJ, they are the only game in town unless you can find an offshore book.

upthecreek
10-17-2017, 11:20 AM
I have a 4NJBets acct and haven't received that email--yet. And I just opted in for Lrl promotion I'm probably a smaller bettor than you. I also have a NJX acct, maybe that helps

DelMarJay
10-17-2017, 11:36 AM
UN BEE LEEVABLE!!!!!!!!

*Called TVG first thing this morning.

*Explained their e-mail was badly written and unprofessional.

*Asked for an explanation as to why I was kicked off the promotions.

"We want you to bet more on non promotional races."

"But I've been betting with you guys for years and while I'm not the biggest better, I put hundreds through(sometimes thousands) every month. How much do I have to bet?"

"We have no idea, just more!"

*Well, I don't know how they'll get more when I quit TVG.

Great business acumen TVG. Bomb advertising with "Bet-Back" promotions and then punish long time customers with BET SHAMING when we do exactly what you ask!

upthecreek
10-17-2017, 12:08 PM
https://twitter.com/chaz63/status/920319490352648192

Southbaygent
10-17-2017, 12:58 PM
I’ve always just kind of gone along with TVG, even when they get bashed online here and elsewhere.

But this email is infuriating. How could they make a customer feel more unwelcome!:mad:

upthecreek
10-17-2017, 02:54 PM
https://twitter.com/chaz63/status/920359626281013249

upthecreek
10-17-2017, 03:53 PM
https://twitter.com/debbimar10/status/920311597834399745

Poindexter
10-17-2017, 04:22 PM
Wow :lol::lol::lol::lol:. Constantly hear them hype these promotions and now they won't even honor them for all their customers.. So consistent with my perception of Betfair (Bet Fair, now that is ironic). Something in my gut always kept me away from opening an account with TVG and now I know why. They don't deserve any business. If you can't afford to run a promotion dont run it, but you don't pick and choose who gets to participate. Absolute BS.

horses4courses
10-17-2017, 11:36 PM
https://twitter.com/debbimar10/status/920311597834399745

Hahaa!
I like it :ThmbUp:

Seriously, though.
How bad is their business sense?
There is nothing to stop them from putting a minimum
play figure per month to be eligible for promotions.

But, no......they have to send out a poorly worded
email which treats their lower tier customer bases
like crap. Unbelievable! :faint:

I have yet to receive the email in question.
Wouldn't be surprised if I get it.
My online play in the past year has been 90% TwinSpires.
Soon to become 100%, I'm thinking.

SandyW
10-18-2017, 03:18 AM
This is nothing new with TVG. i am still waiting for my $50 Visa card that I won in a contest that TVG ran about two years ago.
TVG is not a very honorable company when it comes to paying off their contest winners if they can get away with not paying. Very sad.

lamboguy
10-18-2017, 06:12 AM
So did anyone else receive an email from TVG stating:

“During a recent review of your account, it was determined that beginning today, you will no longer be able to participate in any of TVG's offers and/or promotions. This includes offers like our Money Back Specials or Win Bonuses and is effective today.”

Mind you I’m a small bettor on TVG, I do like their “money back” promotion where you get your win bet back if your win horse comes in place/show. Maybe they had to refund me $10 too many times :lol:

Any thought? No big deal....I also thought the wording of the email a bit rude.
at least they didn't close your account and discuss your private business over the internet like another one that i happen to know of.

upthecreek
10-18-2017, 07:59 AM
https://twitter.com/debbimar10/status/920102310637862912

Fager Fan
10-18-2017, 09:17 AM
Hahaa!
I like it :ThmbUp:

Seriously, though.
How bad is their business sense?
There is nothing to stop them from putting a minimum
play figure per month to be eligible for promotions.

But, no......they have to send out a poorly worded
email which treats their lower tier customer bases
like crap. Unbelievable! :faint:

I have yet to receive the email in question.
Wouldn't be surprised if I get it.
My online play in the past year has been 90% TwinSpires.
Soon to become 100%, I'm thinking.

This. If this is a problem for TVG, then they should have a set of guidelines for the customer and TVG to follow. They will and should lose customers over this.

lamboguy
10-18-2017, 09:22 AM
i think they should honor the promotions to everyone even if they lose money on them. i don't think they understand that in the gambling business small players often lead to large players. the idea is to keep as many people happy as you can.

i have been dealing with XPRESSBET for the last decade and have never had a problem with. they don't have any promotions other than the sign up bonus, but their platform always works, the video is fine, and they keep my business with them confidential. after the 10 years i can't say 1 bad thing about them.

GMB@BP
10-18-2017, 10:51 AM
God this was handled bad...i bet they had people who only did the specials and little of anything else so they are trying to cut that off but this was the wrong way to do that.

showonly
10-18-2017, 11:45 AM
God this was handled bad...i bet they had people who only did the specials and little of anything else so they are trying to cut that off but this was the wrong way to do that.

I really think it is an over reaction to the handling but that is subjective. My thought is on the negative opinions of their actions. They offer promotions and now have chosen not to. They must have singled out accounts who offering the promotion to is not cost effective for the business. Unreasonable?

Arapola
10-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Bad JuJu over @TVG.
What Bean-counter decided this is good policy?

SHAME ON TVG:puke:

cj
10-18-2017, 12:23 PM
I really think it is an over reaction to the handling but that is subjective. My thought is on the negative opinions of their actions. They offer promotions and now have chosen not to. They must have singled out accounts who offering the promotion to is not cost effective for the business. Unreasonable?

Yes, because they are still advertising like they are for everyone.

upthecreek
10-18-2017, 12:49 PM
https://twitter.com/AndrewChampagne/status/920370350851989504

showonly
10-18-2017, 01:53 PM
Yes, because they are still advertising like they are for everyone.
Do you believe offering enticements to solicit business and then discontinuing them when they aren't profitable for the business is that egregious. Is it not just something for nothing until it is not. Perquisites are a staple of attracting new business. Starbucks recently changed their rewards program in a way that adversely effected minimum spenders. New customers could sign up with TVG take advantage of the "deals" and then close their accounts when they are deemed unworthy.

Southbaygent
10-18-2017, 01:58 PM
It isn't right that I get sent advertising for a promotion, then I click on that option and get a "not eligible" message. Not right.

Here are the "rules" for the current promotion I am NOT eligible for...not sure I see where "you don't bet enough" is a consideration?
https://promos.tvg.com/Cashtoberfest/images/100217_cashtoberfest_rules.pdf

showonly
10-18-2017, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Southbaygent;2232397]It isn't right that I get sent advertising for a promotion, then I click on that option and get a "not eligible" message. Not right.

Here are the "rules" for the current promotion I am NOT eligible for...not sure I see where "you don't bet enough" is a consideration?
https://promos.tvg.com/Cashtoberfest/images/100217_cashtoberfest_rules.pdf[/QUOTE

Would you have been willing to supply TVG with the information that would have allowed them to make the judgment as to what your patronage was worth to them? Instead they offered you something with no initial conditions. The determined that your account is not of value to them with the additional offerings. Did they ask you for the benefits of those deals back? You really expect that to last forever with them taking the loss.

cj
10-18-2017, 02:24 PM
Do you believe offering enticements to solicit business and then discontinuing them when they aren't profitable for the business is that egregious. Is it not just something for nothing until it is not. Perquisites are a staple of attracting new business. Starbucks recently changed their rewards program in a way that adversely effected minimum spenders. New customers could sign up with TVG take advantage of the "deals" and then close their accounts when they are deemed unworthy.

That isn't what happened. They are still advertising the enticements as if there are no restrictions.

showonly
10-18-2017, 02:30 PM
[QUOTE=cj;2232411]That isn't what happened. They are still advertising the enticements as if there are no restrictions.[/QUOTEAre

Are you telling me that they are violating their customer agreement. If not what are they doing other than evaluating their rewards program.

showonly
10-18-2017, 02:33 PM
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to terminate an account at any time and for any reason. In the event an account is terminated, we shall return to you the balance of any funds in your account at the time of termination. If the balance of funds in your account at the time of termination is less than $2.00, we will retain the balance as an account termination fee. If your account is inactive for 6 consecutive months, a $1.75 per month account maintenance fee may be assessed until the balance reaches zero and the account is terminated.

This is what you agreed to. If you would have preferred to have your account closed. It is possible

cj
10-18-2017, 02:37 PM
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to terminate an account at any time and for any reason. In the event an account is terminated, we shall return to you the balance of any funds in your account at the time of termination. If the balance of funds in your account at the time of termination is less than $2.00, we will retain the balance as an account termination fee. If your account is inactive for 6 consecutive months, a $1.75 per month account maintenance fee may be assessed until the balance reaches zero and the account is terminated.

This is what you agreed to. If you would have preferred to have your account closed. It is possible

They aren't closing people's accounts, just cutting them off from the promos. Not sure how the above applies to this situation.

That is 100% a choice they have the right to make. What isn't right is how they are handling it while still pretending in public it applies to everyone when advertised.

Poindexter
10-18-2017, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=Southbaygent;2232397]It isn't right that I get sent advertising for a promotion, then I click on that option and get a "not eligible" message. Not right.

https://promos.tvg.com/Cashtoberfest/images/100217_cashtoberfest_rules.pdf[/QUOTE

Would you have been willing to supply TVG with the information that would have allowed them to make the judgment as to what your patronage was worth to them? Instead they offered you something with no initial conditions. The determined that your account is not of value to them with the additional offerings. Did they ask you for the benefits of those deals back? You really expect that to last forever with them taking the loss.

If they are going to pump a promotion on their broadcast without a disclaimer (such for vip or Gold Star members only) then they ethically have the duty to leave it open for all. If they want to filter who is eligible (which they have every right to do) for the promotions then they need to make very clear in their on air promotion (not in some fine print) that this offer is for vip members only.

Legally, I don't really care (I am not a lawyer). I base my choices as a consumer based on whether I feel a company acts appropiately not legally and I hope others do the same. I try to keep trash out of my life. When a company resorts to these ticky tack types of actions it speaks volumes about their character.

Jeff P
10-18-2017, 02:46 PM
FYI, they have been contacted and made aware of this thread.

-jp

Fager Fan
10-18-2017, 03:08 PM

There are no prerequisites, nor any guidelines or rules or restrictions, which is exactly the point. They simply yanked someone's ability to play in their promotions without giving any reason or violation. They are speaking loud and clear though, which is that this customer is too smart for them and they make too little money off him, so they're not going to take his business. That reeks, and in my opinion is far worse than what KEE did in upping their prices.

The proper way to do this is to have clear rules for playing in a promotion. If they didn't have them before, then they should've drawn them up and sent those out instead of what they did send out. They're apparently perfectly willing to have others who spend a similar amount of money monthly play their promotions because they're not too good at it.

I couldn't care less as I solely use Xpressbet, but this is a no-brainer bonehead move.

showonly
10-18-2017, 03:11 PM
So everyone would be satisfied if they indicated that the free stuff you get when you first join may not last into eternity.

Poindexter
10-18-2017, 03:30 PM
So everyone would be satisfied if they indicated that the free stuff you get when you first join may not last into eternity.

Not sure what leads you to that conclusion. Can't speak for others, but I would be satisfied if whenever they pump the promotion, they make it very clear that the promotion is for "vip members only". Won't change my perception of their character but it would correct the problem imo. To put it succinctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79i9szAR6g

Parkview_Pirate
10-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Reading through this thread, it's not clear if this affects all TVG customers, or just some, depending on state residency.

On Monday I received notification from Horse Tourneys that my account had to be deactivated, because as a Washington State resident, all contests had to be under the oversight of the state Racing Commission. The attorney general was in agreement. This was in addition to the existing restriction that my account could be "deposit only" in nature, which still allowed me to compete for the NHC, other tournaments, or small cash prizes for keeping my account afloat.

So, perhaps the "promotions" are in that gray area like contests and fantasy sports, and are interpreted as evil, unregulated activity where money changes hands, and "we ain't getting a cut".

I don't know about other states, but ADWs like TVG are required to send 2.5% of wagering account activity to the Washington State Racing commission, so in that sense the activity is regulated. I closed out my TVG account a while back, but have not heard anything (yet) from Xpressbet or Twinspires on promotion restrictions.

For me, I see this as a desperate act to control fiscal activities and somehow increase state "revenue". In this case it may very well backfire, as contest and promotion restrictions will hardly have a positive impact on wagering totals, thus reducing the ADW fees.

thaskalos
10-18-2017, 03:58 PM
I can't understand why all these "residential distinctions" exist in the horse-betting world. Reading the BetPTC website...the outlawed states outnumber the accepted ones...and there are no rebates allowed in the state where I live. Aren't we living in the "United States"?

showonly
10-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Not sure what leads you to that conclusion. Can't speak for others, but I would be satisfied if whenever they pump the promotion, they make it very clear that the promotion is for "vip members only". Won't change my perception of their character but it would correct the problem imo. To put it succinctly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79i9szAR6g

How is anyone damaged from TVG's actions. Yet you want clarity.

jms62
10-18-2017, 04:47 PM
They handled this wrong and should have started it during a new Opt In cycle and at that time state clearly that it is for qualifying customers only and clearly display those requirements on their site. Totally bungled it.

After that anyone that didn't meet the requirements and still thought they are entitled really needs to get a grip.

lamboguy
10-18-2017, 04:58 PM
They handled this wrong and should have started it during a new Opt In cycle and at that time state clearly that it is for qualifying customers only and clearly display those requirements on their site. Totally bungled it.

After that anyone that didn't meet the requirements and still thought they are entitled really needs to get a grip.they made a mistake and i am sure they now know that they did the wrong thing, but this is par for the course in horse racing. they are all getting their paychecks this friday no matter what and bottom line, that is all they care about.

thaskalos
10-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Maybe some accounts aren't active enough to suit the ADWs...and they are trying to anger the customers into closing the accounts down.

I had a Discover card that I seldom used...and they offered me a 50% discount on the balance to close the account.

lamboguy
10-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Maybe some accounts aren't active enough to suit the ADWs...and they are trying to anger the customers into closing the accounts down.what a great way to accomplish that!

Poindexter
10-18-2017, 05:14 PM
How is anyone damaged from TVG's actions. Yet you want clarity.

They are damaged because they heard Todd Schrupp pound the promotion in their ears many times, took the time to open up an account and send in money and fill out deposit forms and whatever else they had to do......and when they want to take tvg up on their promotion, Tvg tells the, you don't qualify. It is deceptive.

Yes I don't like deception. There is a product advertised on radio a zillion times a day. Try us out for x dollars. Guess what, I went to their website to get their product, but I had to opt in to an autoship program. Yes I can cancel the program if I like, but guess what, I didn't order the product. Why because I consider their advertising deceptive. Apparently it is legal, because products do this crap all the time. But guess what, none of them get a dollar of my business. If you like dealing with deceptive companies, be my guest. I dont. Also it is human nature, the more crap you get away with, the more likely you are to try worse. So if they are not put in check on this stunt, in a few months they are likely to try something even worse.

jms62
10-18-2017, 05:20 PM
They are damaged because they heard Todd Schrupp pound the promotion in their ears many times, took the time to open up an account and send in money and fill out deposit forms and whatever else they had to do......and when they want to take tvg up on their promotion, Tvg tells the, you don't qualify. It is deceptive.

Yes I don't like deception. There is a product advertised on radio a zillion times a day. Try us out for x dollars. Guess what, I went to their website to get their product, but I had to opt in to an autoship program. Yes I can cancel the program if I like, but guess what, I didn't order the product. Why because I consider their advertising deceptive. Apparently it is legal, because products do this crap all the time. But guess what, none of them get a dollar of my business. If you like dealing with deceptive companies, be my guest. I dont. Also it is human nature, the more crap you get away with, the more likely you are to try worse. So if they are not put in check on this stunt, in a few months they are likely to try something even worse.

Do you have any knowledge that they are doing this to newly signed up customers or just customers with a track record of low play? My money would be on the No on that. They couldnt be that dumb.

Tom
10-18-2017, 05:29 PM
When did they put Todd Schrupp in customer relations?

Southbaygent
10-18-2017, 05:34 PM
When did they put Todd Schrupp in customer relations?

:lol:

Southbaygent
10-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Do you have any knowledge that they are doing this to newly signed up customers or just customers with a track record of low play? My money would be on the No on that. They couldnt be that dumb.

The email didn’t specify any parameters, just that I’m inelgible no for advertised promotions. They did not cancel my account, or refund my balance.

Admittedly, I’m a “low play” member and I have done well with the “cashback” promotion.

teamshrink
10-18-2017, 05:38 PM
Same email. Withdrew and asked to close my account. I wonder if I can find another option?:p

showonly
10-18-2017, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Southbaygent;2232517]The email didn’t specify any parameters, just that I’m inelgible no for advertised promotions. They did not cancel my account, or refund my balance.

Admittedly, I’m a “low play” member and I have done well with the “cashback” promotion.[/QUOT

Very honest. enjoy that promotional cash:popcorn:

Poindexter
10-18-2017, 06:34 PM
Now I am truly conflicted, was looking for more info on some of the stuff they offer and came across this

https://promos.tvg.com/VIP/

Okay, what am I missing, free $2000 if you bet $10,000 first month. I am sure there is a disclaimer somewhere. Is this still going on? Hey if they want to give me a free $2000, for betting $10,000 first month, that works for me. F*** ethics, that is a free $2000:lol::lol::lol::lol:. Do they put a lien on my house if I stop betting after that? Hey if they give me a free $2000 what do I care if they treat the insignificant bettors like crap:lol::lol::lol::lol:.

On a serious note, I only know what has been posted here. The only thing I know about TVG is that they show the races on my tv, Todd Schrupp is constantly talking about this promotion and that promotion, and 99% of it goes in the left ear and out the right ear. I have never used them and never had a negative thing to say about them until this thread. Betfair I have read many negative things about over many years and for all I know it is all bs. Like anything else on internet posting forums, you have to make some kind of educated guess as to the validity of certain statements. I can't articulate what they are because much of it was read and forgotten many years ago.

In the grand scheme of things making players that they consider low benefit customers ineligible for promotions is pretty small potatoes. But there is a correct way of doing things and an incorrect way of doing things. I believe they chose the incorrect way. Earth shattering hardly, but it is what it is.

Parkview_Pirate
10-18-2017, 08:08 PM
I can't understand why all these "residential distinctions" exist in the horse-betting world. Reading the BetPTC website...the outlawed states outnumber the accepted ones...and there are no rebates allowed in the state where I live. Aren't we living in the "United States"?

United in name only - and for Federal taxes.

In theory, the states need to regulate horse racing, since it's not spelled out in the Constitution. However, gambling in general, at least online, comes under Federal laws like the Wire Act. I predict this becomes more of an issue as both the states and the Feds (and of course the Mob) try to maintain their respective revenue streams.

Quite a conundrum for a horseplayer who wants limited government.

chalkie
10-20-2017, 11:28 AM
actually, once in a while they do-I believe they gave a bonus per deposit before last year's BC and a couple times have done the get your money back thing-they also have some interesting contests without any fee (just have to bet real $ but get back all you hit on) during the derby trail........

twinspires is also easy to deal with-sometimes I get them mixed up but I think telephone betting calls are free w T.S. Xpressbet has a weird thing w NYBets-basically the same site under two different names and promotions-for example, you have to be w xpressbet to play in the derby trail contests, but have to be w NYBets to get free pp's from DRF when you wager at least $25 on the track you want-but they let you switch back and forth as often as you wish and it is a fast switch......

MonmouthParkJoe
10-21-2017, 08:20 AM
Why dont they just limit who can opt in versus sending out an email like that?

Southbaygent
10-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Well, somebody at TVG listened...I just received the following email (FYI I wagered far more times than just the Money Back Special):

>>On Monday you received a mail from us regarding promo limitations for your account.

Over the last year, TVG has introduced two popular, bettor-friendly promotions, our Money Back Special and the Super Eight. These innovative promotions are enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers including you.

Unfortunately, there was a small percentage of account-holders who wagered exclusively on our Money Back Special promotion and whose accounts were not otherwise active. We are happy to offer frequent, generous incentives and promotions to our customers. However, when a small segment of account holders participates only on special promotions, that limits our ability to offer those incentives and rewards to our most loyal and regular customers.

In a recent effort to restrict access to certain promotions to our best customers, we overreached. Today we are reinstating access to those promotions to you. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

We work to provide the best customer experience that we can and intend to continue to offer new and exciting promotional programs. In the near future, we will communicate new rules on eligibility for certain promotions to ensure that all of our customers are aware of and understand those policies in advance.

If you have any issue in optin into promotions this weekend please contact our Customer Relations Department at 1-888-PLAY-TVG (752-9884)<<

upthecreek
10-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Over this weekend NJX had 2 promotions I was eligible for
Friday they gave me 4 free $5 bets on RP and Sat/Sun if you didn't make at least $25 profit, they'll refund your $ And believe me, most of you guys put more thru the window in a day than I do on a month

ronsmac
10-22-2017, 04:51 PM
Well, somebody at TVG listened...I just received the following email (FYI I wagered far more times than just the Money Back Special):

>>On Monday you received a mail from us regarding promo limitations for your account.

Over the last year, TVG has introduced two popular, bettor-friendly promotions, our Money Back Special and the Super Eight. These innovative promotions are enjoyed by the vast majority of our customers including you.

Unfortunately, there was a small percentage of account-holders who wagered exclusively on our Money Back Special promotion and whose accounts were not otherwise active. We are happy to offer frequent, generous incentives and promotions to our customers. However, when a small segment of account holders participates only on special promotions, that limits our ability to offer those incentives and rewards to our most loyal and regular customers.

In a recent effort to restrict access to certain promotions to our best customers, we overreached. Today we are reinstating access to those promotions to you. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

We work to provide the best customer experience that we can and intend to continue to offer new and exciting promotional programs. In the near future, we will communicate new rules on eligibility for certain promotions to ensure that all of our customers are aware of and understand those policies in advance.

If you have any issue in optin into promotions this weekend please contact our Customer Relations Department at 1-888-PLAY-TVG (752-9884)<<
That's a win.

NJ Stinks
10-22-2017, 08:06 PM
Well, somebody at TVG listened...<<

I'm really happy to hear TVG rectified your situation. :ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

castaway01
10-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Why dont they just limit who can opt in versus sending out an email like that?

It sounded like they did both but sent an unnecessarily blunt email to people informing them. They were trying to get the people who only play the bonus days and nothing else to play more, but offended people with their wording.

Poindexter
10-23-2017, 01:16 PM

Good job TVG. Well written and explained. If I were a customer I would accept the explanation and continue on with your service. See that wasn't so hard, just tell the truth. Most people understand(edited-originally put are which is unfortunately inacccurate) rational and fair. The ones that aren't so what. You can't please all fo the people all of the time.