PDA

View Full Version : Million day at AP

Valuist
08-14-2004, 12:55 AM
2nd- Just See James- should be some speed for him to run at. He was good enough to run 2nd vs open co NW1X, then got caught up in a duel in her second back, and had problems at the gate and on the turn in last

3rd- Silver Crown- razor sharp now. I'll take a stand against the Godolphin horse.

4th- tough 2YO Mdn race. I'll probably go P3s here. Both of Stidham's runners look usable. Marquez gets on the first timer and off the proven runner. I also liked Lucky Shermans last race. I'll use the 7,8 and 10 in P3s. Hopefully the meet-long outside bias will stay in effect.

5th- extremely contentious race which could require a big spread in P3s or P4s. One thing I noticed was both Robertson and Asmussen both have uncoupled entries and any one of those 4 horses could win.

6th- looks tailor made for Korbyn Gold. Outside post and Bailey up. Not a ton of speed in this race and Knox will scratch. The odds on this one won't be great. Stylishly could be a sleeper back on a fast track, back on Lasix and back w/Lovato.

7th- another contentious race so I'll take Summer Book, one of two 3YOs in here. He likes the track, the distance, is lightly raced and is in good form. Rush Around is interesting, he lost to his uncoupled entrymate (imagine that) last time out and gets Douglas up today.

8th- Right now I like 3 horses: Musical Chimes, Bedanken and Crimson Palace. Musical Chimes is pretty obvious; Bedanken won her last powered down and could've won by much more. The East and West Coast types will (mistakenly) dismiss her. As for Crimson Palace, the top South African horses are pretty good, like Ypi Tombe. This one was beaten less than 1 by Paolini, who almost won last years Million. Dettori rides. Not sure if he came more for this one or his mount in the Million

9th- Definitely leaning toward the Europeans here. IMO, the best older turf horse in the US is Special Ring, and the best male turfer of any age is Kitten's Joy, whos running in the Secretariat. I think he could've won the Million if they entered him. Vespone, Powerscourt and Epalo have all runs 2s on the T-Graph scale overseas. IMO, the overseas T-Graph numbers dont give them enough credit. Horses who were running 7s and 6s come over here and run 3s or 4s so a 2 over there is like a -1, IMO. I'll take a stand against Sweet Return, Mr. OBrien and Sabiango.

10th- I would not be surprised to see Duchossois' horse win this race on the big day. The horse loves AP and the distance. Have to beat the 8YO Sea of Tranqility, who could bounce off 2 big figure wins. Intelligent Male has improved significantly since the barn change and could also upset the favorite.

11th- Kittens Joy will win but will probably pay no more than $3.40. 6 for 7 on turf and the only loss was when Bailey took him 4 wide on both turns. Even Frankel's magic can't save his horse here.

cj
08-14-2004, 06:06 AM
I would disagree that Kitten's Joy is the best male turf horse in the US right now. He would not beat the top older horses at this time. Later on, sure, but he's not there yet.

Valuist
08-14-2004, 11:42 AM
I stand by my opinion on KJ. I don't always agree w/Thorograph dirt numbers but their turf numbers are solid. And Kittens Joy has run three straight minus 1s, even when he got beat thanks to an ultra wide trip. Thats better than Sweet Return, Mr OBrien and Kicken Kris. I haven't seen Special Rings numbers but being a speed horse who usually saves ground, I doubt they're better than minus 1.

linrom1
08-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Simple Exchange best bet of the day.

Valuist
08-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Running times yesterday at AP:

Million: 2:00.08
Kittens Joy 1:59.65

It looks like Kittens Joy is in the 110-112 Beyer area. I would say bring on the European older horses. Nobody in this country is better than him now on turf.