PDA

View Full Version : Disaster !

PhantomOnTour
10-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Team USA fails to qualify for World Cup 2018 in Russia
:blush:

thaskalos
10-11-2017, 01:37 PM
But the U.S. coach assures us that "nothing needs to be changed on the team". "The proper pieces are already in place", he says...and "all we need is a little patience."

PhantomOnTour
10-11-2017, 02:16 PM
I could go on and on, but Taylor Twellman has said it best. His commentary cuts to the heart of the problem. The players are here, but we can't develop them once they reach their high school years

thaskalos
10-11-2017, 03:03 PM
I could go on and on, but Taylor Twellman has said it best. His commentary cuts to the heart of the problem. The players are here, but we can't develop them once they reach their high school years

Soccer will never catch on in this country...for the same reason that the young gamblers will never gravitate to horseracing as their game of choice. In both cases...the "upsides" of the respective games do not warrant the time and effort that it takes to truly excel.

Soccer is very popular at the "high school" level, because the costs associated with running a soccer team are low...but the rewards that a professional U.S. soccer career promises hardly encourages the standout player to seriously pursue the game as a "career choice". Major TV money has to get involved in order for soccer to share the limelight in this country...and, unfortunately, the "beautiful game" just isn't as TV-marketable as our other major games are. The other major sports are made for TV-merchandising...and soccer isn't.

horses4courses
10-11-2017, 08:28 PM
The only upside to the USMNT qualifying for the World Cup on a regular basis
is a minor commercial boost. Every 4 years, they have no realistic chance of
going far in the competition. Next summer in Russia would have been another
example of this. Last 16, or the quarter finals at best, and that takes luck.

CONCACAF as a qualifying region is a joke.
Countries within it have at least twice the likelihood of qualifying compared to
European and South American nations. Put the US, or Mexico, in those groups,
and they would make it to the WC about every fifth attempt, if that.
If you can't qualify easily out of CONCACAF, you don't belong in a WC.

Time to clean house.
There is little future with Bruce Arena in charge.
Older players like Bradley, Altidore, Dempsey, Howard, need to step aside.
They have had good careers and contributed plenty - give others a chance.

Dave Schwartz
10-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Soccer will never catch on in this country...for the same reason that the young gamblers will never gravitate to horseracing as their game of choice. In both cases...the "upsides" of the respective games do not warrant the time and effort that it takes to truly excel.

Soccer is very popular at the "high school" level, because the costs associated with running a soccer team are low...but the rewards that a professional U.S. soccer career promises hardly encourages the standout player to seriously pursue the game as a "career choice". Major TV money has to get involved in order for soccer to share the limelight in this country...and, unfortunately, the "beautiful game" just isn't as TV-marketable as our other major games are. The other major sports are made for TV-merchandising...and soccer isn't.

Excellent!

Right on the money.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

ronsmac
10-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Until the best black American athletes start playing soccer at a young age, We'll never be able to compete with the best in the world. The only other hope will be the 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanic immigrants in about 15 years.

ldiatone
10-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Team USA fails to qualify for World Cup 2018 in Russia
:blush:
hey POT might get a food truck.... want-a-work on it??? recruiting!

PaceAdvantage
10-12-2017, 01:50 PM
Until the best black American athletes start playing soccer at a young age, We'll never be able to compete with the best in the world. The only other hope will be the 2nd and 3rd generation Hispanic immigrants in about 15 years.WTF does everything have to be about race? :mad::confused:

Jimmy the Greek got shit-canned over BS stuff like this YEARS AGO...

ronsmac
10-13-2017, 04:43 PM
WTF does everything have to be about race? :mad::confused:

Jimmy the Greek got shit-canned over BS stuff like this YEARS AGO...I'm guessing you haven't watched the Nfl, NBA or track the last 3 decades. Jimmy the Greek was fired because overly sensitive liberals didn't want to hear the truth. It was graceful.

thaskalos
10-13-2017, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing you haven't watched the Nfl, NBA or track the last 3 decades. Jimmy the Greek was fired because overly sensitive liberals didn't want to hear the truth. It was graceful.

You make it sound as if the conservatives were rallying in support of Jimmy the Greek's opinion, at that time.

Robert Fischer
10-13-2017, 05:12 PM
Until the best black American athletes start playing soccer at a young age, We'll never be able to compete with the best in the world.

Are you saying we aren't all the same? Brave words.

You could have been PC and left out the word 'black'.

"Until the best ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ American athletes start playing soccer at a young age, We'll never be able to compete with the best in the world."

Of course, a good percentage of those best American athletes happen to be black ;)

jms62
10-13-2017, 05:26 PM

"Until the best ̶b̶l̶a̶c̶k̶ American athletes start playing soccer at a young age, We'll never be able to compete with the best in the world."

Of course, a good percentage of those best American athletes happen to be black ;)

Until any American Athlete can make hundreds of millions playing soccer in the United States we can never compete at the World level. It will never happen .

ronsmac
10-13-2017, 07:30 PM

Of course, a good percentage of those best American athletes happen to be black ;) it's just the truth and not even a big deal or controversial if you ask me it is what it is.

PaceAdvantage
10-16-2017, 01:41 PM
it's just the truth and not even a big deal or controversial if you ask me it is what it is.So you can't even keep the discussion focused on soccer. I say what I say, and you immediately have to broaden the scope and start talking about NBA, etc?

I thought we were talking about soccer. My bad.

There are plenty of non-black, non-hispanic players among the top class in the world today and in the past. Your statement was just another chance for you to inject race into yet another discussion around here.

I guess I'm the only one way past tired of hearing this crap...you guys are as bad as Sharpton and the Dems...

ronsmac
10-16-2017, 09:16 PM
So you can't even keep the discussion focused on soccer. I say what I say, and you immediately have to broaden the scope and start talking about NBA, etc?

I thought we were talking about soccer. My bad.

There are plenty of non-black, non-hispanic players among the top class in the world today and in the past. Your statement was just another chance for you to inject race into yet another discussion around here.

I guess I'm the only one way past tired of hearing this crap...you guys are as bad as Sharpton and the Dems...
It is about Soccer. I'm tired of the U.S. losing to these small countries. Our best "ath a leats" are black , to quote your friend Jimmy the Greek. I want the Kyrie Irvings and Deion Sanders of the world to play on our National team to keep from losing to that power house Trinidad and Tobago. If the best athletes in the U.S. were Orange , I'd be saying we need more Orange players to compete. I'm not talking about top class athletes in the world, I'm talking about top class athletes in the U.S.