PDA

View Full Version : Arlington Million History

Dancer's Image
08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Anyone here know the story, or have a link to a story about the inaugural Arlington Million in which The Bart dueled with, and appeared to beat John Henry? They alluded to it on the Raceday Las Vegas show but didn't tell the whole story and left me curious.

IRISHLADSTABLE
08-13-2004, 12:59 PM
http://horseracing.about.com/library/blapmillion.htm

Valuist
08-13-2004, 01:00 PM
I tried listening to the show today but couldn't download it. I believe NBC cut away before the photo was decided and called The Bart the winner. Imagine that, TV screwing up racing coverage. Some things never change.

Dancer's Image
08-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by IRISHLADSTABLE
http://horseracing.about.com/library/blapmillion.htm

Thanks for trying but the link doesn't work for me.
Yes, Valuist, that's exactly what they said.

Bruddah
08-13-2004, 09:24 PM
and standing at the finish kine, on the rail. I had John Henry and thought he had won. It was as close as everyone says. Now that I reflect on it, I think, I hoped John Henry won.

Dancer's Image
08-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Bruddah
and standing at the finish kine, on the rail. I had John Henry and thought he had won. It was as close as everyone says. Now that I reflect on it, I think, I hoped John Henry won.

He did win, didn't he?

Dancer's Image
08-13-2004, 11:46 PM
One of a kind
By John Leusch Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Friday, August 13, 2004
A D V E R T I S E M E N T
When the field of thoroughbreds spring from the gate for Saturday's 22nd running of the Arlington Million, John Henry's record in the turf showcase will not be in jeopardy.
Without a previous Million winner in Saturday's field, John Henry's victory 20 years ago continues to make him the only two-time winner of Arlington Park's richest race.
So the old fella can just kick back and relax for another year in his barn at the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Ky. And this 29-year-old just might be doing more kicking than relaxing.
"Oh, he's still nasty," said Cathy Roby, who serves as the barn manager for the Hall of Champions, where John Henry resides with Cigar, two standardbred pacers, an American saddlebred and a quarter horse.
"He'll kick you, bite you, step on your toes or even try to trip you by swinging out his front leg when you're walking him. He spends a lot of time thinking about what he can do to get you. He's the smartest horse I've ever been around."
With legendary jockey Bill Shoemaker in the saddle, John Henry helped put the Million on the world racing map when he conquered the inaugural running in 1981, winning a classic stretch duel with longshot The Bart and jockey Eddie Delahoussaye.
The never-to-be-forgotten finish, which left a national television audience wondering the outcome, is immortalized in bronze overlooking the Arlington paddock.
Three years later at the age of 9, John Henry repeated the victory. This time, with jockey Chris MaCarron aboard, John Henry rolled past filly champion Royal Heroine for a 1‰-length victory.
"And he almost won the race three times," said trainer Ron McAnally, who starts morning-line favorite Sweet Return in Saturday's Million.
McAnally was referring to 1983, when favorite John Henry was stunned by 38-1 longshot Tolomeo, who slipped through along the rail to edge John Henry by a neck.
Arlington Park senior vice president of racing Bill Thayer, who has helped bring in many of the country's finest horses to race at Arlington, vividly recalls the first Million. The great duel between The Bart, who made it into the race as an alternate to the original 14 horses selected, and John Henry had ties to Thayer.
"The trainer (John Sullivan) and owner (Franklin Groves) of The Bart weren't sure they had the kind of horse to be running in that race," Thayer recalled. "I told them their horse could be competitive and that he would hit the board. They said, 'OK, we'll give it a try.'æ"
It was a valiant effort, but John Henry came charging in the final eighth of a mile to win by the slimmest of noses.
"They got to the eighth pole and it was like someone shot him out of a cannon," Thayer said. "The way he closed that last eighth of a mile was very impressive. What he did there details what a great horse he was."
Will a horse ever be able to win two Millions again?
"It's hard to predict," Thayer said. "Every now and then a great turf horse jumps up. Many times, though, horses make a name for themselves as 3- and 4-year-olds, then they stop racing to become stallions.
"So it's hard to say if we'll ever have another two-time winner."
John Henry's story reads like a script from Hollywood.
He was foaled in 1975 and bought for $1,100 at the Keeneland January Mixed Sale. He was shuffled around through a series of owners and trainers, before making his mark in minor stakes, allowance and midlevel claiming events on the East Coast.
Two and a half years before his first Million victory, John Henry was bought for $25,000 by Sam Rubin of New York. Rubin, who was in the bicycle business, sent the horse to McAnally in California.
It was at that point where the small, plain, dark bay or brown gelding started to hit his stride.
So what was Hall of Famer McAnally's secret?
"Just tender, loving care," said McAnally, who developed the gelding into one of the finest turf performers of all time.
Racing through the age of 9, John Henry finished with a career record of 39 wins, 15 seconds and 9 thirds from 83 starts for earnings of $6,591,860. He was twice voted Horse of the Year (1981 and 1984).
He retired in 1985 and sent to the Kentucky Horse Park.
"He does not like people or animals," said Roby, who has been working the Kentucky Horse Park since 1991. "About the only thing he likes is birds. He has two nests of barn swallows in his barn. He won't bother them and likes to protect them.
"In fact, once a baby bird had landed on the ground beneath him, and he straddled it and protected it until someone came and put him back in the nest."
Then he went back to his usual antics in the barn.
"He's just a character," Roby said. "He's so different from other horses. He'll run laps in his stall. And he's so quick. Before you know it, he'll fall right on you. Everyone around here has their scars from John Henry."
Roby noted another characteristic.
"I know it really sounds strange, but you can actually reason with him," she said. "A lot of horses just react, but with John Henry, you can actually see that he is thinking, the wheels are always turning in his head.
"If he thinks you did something wrong to him, he will hold a grudge, remember it and get back at you at a later time. And he actually bites the hand that feeds him. When you bring in his feed bucket, he'll try to get you."
Roby said it's time to worry when John Henry doesn't display his feisty side.
"If you come into his barn and he just rests his head in your arms, that's when you know he's not feeling well ... it's time to call the vet," she said. "Otherwise when you come in to the stall, you're fair game."
There were some anxious moments in January 2002 when John Henry had to undergo emergency colic surgery.
"It was kind of touch and go, because of his age," Roby said. "We were told he had only a 7 percent chance to make it because he was 27 years old. The chance of just getting through the anesthesia part was pretty nil, then the same for recovery.
"But he came through with flying colors."
Following the surgery, John Henry remained at the hospital for 10 days under special care. He couldn't run for two to three months and required a smaller paddock area with steel gates.
"For 29 years old (95 in human years, according to Roby), he looks good and he's still going strong," she said. "Just a few days back, it was a cool morning and he was out early, rearing up and bucking. He still think he's 2 years old."

Tom
08-14-2004, 10:35 AM
That was one great racehorse and one great race.:cool: