PDA

View Full Version : Brotherly Love?

Dahoss9698
10-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Watched the Beldame live and thought it looked like Irad Ortiz moved his tiring mount Bishop's Pond towards the rail so little brother Jose Ortiz could come on through with heavy favorite Elate. Elate was stuck in traffic and looked to have nowhere to go.

Just watched the head on. It looks even worse. Irad looks back over his right shoulder, sees who it is, then looks over left shoulder to make sure he had room and parted the seas.

Elate is a VERY good horse and most likely would have found the room and won anyway. But IMO it just looks really, really bad when one brother goes out of his way to make room for another. Would he have done that if it was Verve's Tale and Rosario looking for room?

Afleet
10-01-2017, 10:58 AM
I quit playing NY because of this. I don't like playing any track where both of them are riding together. I may play JCGC weekend. I basically play Belmont 3x per year

Robert Fischer
10-01-2017, 11:28 AM
Does look bad. He clearly got out of the way.

Only saving grace is that his horse was fading fast. Could have easily clipped heels or be put in danger had he held position.

sour grapes
10-01-2017, 11:29 AM
i remember migliore say that it was a common courtesy among riders on tiring speed horses fading in the stretch to let the closers thru on the rail as to not impede them,this was a little different as irad seemed to open a seam for elate to go thru.Bottom line is she wins easy even if jose waits to go around horses.

cj
10-01-2017, 11:35 AM
i remember migliore say that it was a common courtesy among riders on tiring speed horses fading in the stretch to let the closers thru on the rail as to not impede them,this was a little different as irad seemed to open a seam for elate to go thru.Bottom line is she wins easy even if jose waits to go around horses.

Was just going to say the same thing. Riders do this all the time. But when brothers do it for each other it looks really bad, and perception matters. I'm also not a big fan of it when it gives horses a dream run up the inside.

VigorsTheGrey
10-02-2017, 02:21 AM
From the video, it looks as if Irad made a real quick glance back at the top of the stretch, then later looked back right hard, and basically did more looking then riding then... then looked back again towards the rail, (as if he didn't know where he was already?)...kind of seems like he had a feel for where Elate was all the time..

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/usa/bel/2017/9/30/9/beldame-s

Dahoss9698
10-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Very interesting ride by Jose Ortiz on the heavy favorite in the first today. His brother, on the other half of an uncoupled Chad Brown entry enjoyed a trouble free journey.

Weird how often that seems to happen. :rolleyes:

cj
10-07-2017, 01:02 PM
Very interesting ride by Jose Ortiz on the heavy favorite in the first today. His brother, on the other half of an uncoupled Chad Brown entry enjoyed a trouble free journey.

Weird how often that seems to happen. :rolleyes:

Brothers riding on the same circuit is bad enough, but riding for the same trainer in the same race stinks to high heaven.

But nobody cares about perception. The game is run for horsemen, not for bettors. It has always been that way and has only gotten worse now that handle is only part of what drives purses.

GMB@BP
10-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Brothers riding on the same circuit is bad enough, but riding for the same trainer in the same race stinks to high heaven.

But nobody cares about perception. The game is run for horsemen, not for bettors. It has always been that way and has only gotten worse now that handle is only part of what drives purses.

Sadly, and maybe it doesn't speak highly of my own intelligence, but I have just more or less accepted this statement.