PDA

View Full Version : Breaking from the gate.

porchy44
09-27-2017, 06:29 PM
We as bettors have benefitted from a horse wiping out other horse(s) breaking from the gate and winning. They never or rarely are taken down. Sometimes we get beat by it too. I myself don't like that stewards wont take a horse down making a right or left turn out of the gate. How do others feel ?

Fager Fan
09-27-2017, 06:50 PM
We as bettors have benefitted from a horse wiping out other horse(s) breaking from the gate and winning. They never or rarely are taken down. Sometimes we get beat by it too. I myself don't like that stewards wont take a horse down making a right or left turn out of the gate. How do others feel ?

This was discussed in another thread not too long ago. I agree with the stewards that say it's often too difficult to know how it ultimately impacted the race to usually call it. If these were people instead of 1100 pound animals, I'd be in favor of always calling a foul if they don't leave straight, but these animals have a mind of their own and the first couple of jumps are when it's hardest for the jockey to have control over the horse.

If there's any indication that it's intentional, then not only should it be called a foul, but the jockey and trainer should be in for a stiff penalty and suspension.