09-27-2017, 05:06 PM
$200,704.

Has to be an all-time low record.

DSB
09-28-2017, 08:43 AM
maybe.... what's your point?

wilderness
09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Perhaps in recent years, however Freehold has had pari-mutuel wagering since at least the late-1940s (possibly earlier) and there were surely lower handles.

Handle remains very competitive, along with the dwindling general public's lack of interest.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-28-2017, 11:19 AM
It had been competitive. In fact, before this season, Freehold definitely handled more than Chester and Pocono -- and competitively with Yonkers.

I cannot speak for the handle in the 40s through the early 80s. But I know that this is the worst in the last 35 years -- and most assuredly longer.

Too be fair, it was pointed out to me that last Thursday was the Little Brown Jug, and some wagering was most likely deflected there. So we shall see, today. I would like to see some of you make me a liar so that I am not betting against myself, today. :headbanger: Unfortunately I like mostly chalk through the first five races. The double might repeat last week's back-to-back 1-9 winners. Both Surick horses, obviously. Possible non-chalk in the first 5 is LIFE TIME CHARLIE (20-1) in the third, although SUPER FREEKEH should be impossible to beat if he handles the half mile track. The 2yo trotter shows a break on his only other half mile track venture.

Surick's MR RIGHT NOW is 8-1 morning line in the third, but I anticipate significantly shorter odds. And HEFTY LEFTY is the only non-favorite with a serious chance in the first 5 -- all this is only IMO, of course..

The last 4 races are interesting.

The Thursday before last, the handle was only $256k.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-28-2017, 11:25 AM
It had been competitive. In fact, before this season, Freehold definitely handled more than Chester and Pocono -- and competitively with Yonkers.

I cannot speak for the handle in the 40s through the early 80s. But I know that this is the worst in the last 35 years -- and most assuredly longer.

Too be fair, it was pointed out to me that last Thursday was the Little Brown Jug, and some wagering was most likely deflected there. So we shall see, today. I would like to see some of you make me a liar so that I am not betting against myself, today. :headbanger: Unfortunately I like mostly chalk through the first five races. The double might repeat last week's back-to-back 1-9 winners. Both Surick horses, obviously. Possible non-chalk in the first 5 is LIFE TIME CHARLIE (20-1) in the third, although SUPER FREEKEH should be impossible to beat if he handles the half mile track. The 2yo trotter shows a break on his only other half mile track venture.

Surick's MR RIGHT NOW is 8-1 morning line in the third, but I anticipate significantly shorter odds. And HEFTY LEFTY is the only non-favorite with a serious chance in the first 5 -- all this is only IMO, of course..

The last 4 races are interesting.

The Thursday before last, the handle was only $256k.

MR RIGHTNOW was scratched.

thespaah
10-05-2017, 11:42 PM
$200,704.

Has to be an all-time low record.

Both NJ Harness tracks are at a distinct purse disadvantage from PA, NY, DE with their slots fueled purses.
Those states are attracting the better horses, drivers and barns.
And of course the handle is following the pattern. Freehold's purse structure resembles the money paid in the late 70's
Last saturday. 68 starters raced for an avg purse of $4,500

caper
10-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Both NJ Harness tracks are at a distinct purse disadvantage from PA, NY, DE with their slots fueled purses.
Those states are attracting the better horses, drivers and barns.
And of course the handle is following the pattern. Freehold's purse structure resembles the money paid in the late 70's
Last saturday. 68 starters raced for an avg purse of $4,500

Actually the handle doesn't follow that at all, at least when it comes to the Meadowlands. The Meadowlands still destroys the other tracks.