PDA

View Full Version : We need to start listening to "reckless" more often...

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2017, 03:15 PM
Not only did he say that Trump was a lock to win the election...LONG AGO...when everyone else was saying he had no shot, or the 15 times everyone was convinced he was "DONE."

BUT IN ADDITION

He posted, way back in October or November, that the stock market was in the middle of a "generational buying opportunity," and the markets have gone nowhere but up since then...almost 20%...

Kid's good...:ThmbUp:

thaskalos
09-27-2017, 05:15 PM
And I had him on ignore all along. Shows you how smart I am.

tucker6
09-27-2017, 06:36 PM

You're officially dead to me Gus. I let you into my circle to gain your knowledge, and now I find out you're stupid. Oy vey. :bang:

_______
09-27-2017, 07:41 PM
Not only did he say that Trump was a lock to win the election...LONG AGO...when everyone else was saying he had no shot, or the 15 times everyone was convinced he was "DONE."

BUT IN ADDITION

He posted, way back in October or November, that the stock market was in the middle of a "generational buying opportunity," and the markets have gone nowhere but up since then...almost 20%...

You're forgetting the yearlong stock picking contest I ran in the Finacial sub forum in 2015 which was won by...

Reckless.

When I PM'd him about collecting the small prize for winning, he had me donate it to the American Cancer Society.

Solid guy and definitely worth listening to. Hope he doesn't mind my outing his quiet generosity.

Tape Reader
09-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Reckless not only knows his “onions” but has the “balls” to stick with his convictions. My vote for sure!

johnhannibalsmith
09-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Reckless.

When I PM'd him about collecting the small prize for winning, he had me donate it to the American Cancer Society.

Solid guy and definitely worth listening to. Hope he doesn't mind my outing his quiet generosity.

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

I almost never agree with Reckless down here, but he's always struck me as a good egg. Plus, I like someone that consistently posts in such a way that you don't even need to look to see who posted it.

thaskalos
09-27-2017, 07:51 PM
You're officially dead to me Gus. I let you into my circle to gain your knowledge, and now I find out you're stupid. Oy vey. :bang:

Gee, Tucker...I didn't talk to you like that even when you were defending "JoPa" during the Penn State outrage, 2 years ago. And you call ME stupid? :bang:

ElKabong
09-27-2017, 09:13 PM
You're forgetting the yearlong stock picking contest I ran in the Finacial sub forum in 2015 which was won by...

Reckless.

Good stuff :ThmbUp:

tucker6
09-27-2017, 09:22 PM
Gee, Tucker...I didn't talk to you like that even when you were defending "JoPa" during the Penn State outrage, 2 years ago. And you call ME stupid? :bang:

That was sarcasm and light hearted banter ya big dummy.

thaskalos
09-27-2017, 09:25 PM
That was sarcasm you big dummy...

I didn't spot the sarcasm, Tucker...and I apologize. I've been called "stupid" so much here lately...that I am starting to believe it.

tucker6
09-27-2017, 09:45 PM
I didn't spot the sarcasm, Tucker...and I apologize. I've been called "stupid" so much here lately...that I am starting to believe it.

I have too much respect for you to call you names. Truthfully, off topic doesn't create that much angst. I ignore people who spam the board like Dahoss and Hcap, but am okay with different opinions.

Dahoss9698
09-27-2017, 10:27 PM
I have too much respect for you to call you names. Truthfully, off topic doesn't create that much angst. I ignore people who spam the board like Dahoss and Hcap, but am okay with different opinions.

:lol::lol::lol:

kingfin66
09-27-2017, 10:37 PM

You may need to dole out a few "friend" comments to set some folks straight. I can get you a list upon request. :)

storyline
09-27-2017, 10:41 PM

BUT IN ADDITION

Reckless and I are synchronized when it comes to politics, you have permission to read my private message to him Mike, though my permission isn't required..

mostpost
09-27-2017, 11:39 PM

BUT IN ADDITION

Almost 20%, if 12% is almost 20%. Anyway, this just momentum from the Obama years. And the first eight months of Obama's term, the Dow went up 37.5%.

FantasticDan
09-27-2017, 11:40 PM
I ignore people who spam the board like Dahoss and Hcap, but am okay with different opinions.
Hcap hasn't started a thread in like six months.. :lol: :bang:

Dahoss9698
09-27-2017, 11:41 PM

He's also okay with differing opinions, don't ya know? As long as they don't differ from his.

mostpost
09-27-2017, 11:55 PM

BUT IN ADDITION

Trumps victory was a perfect storm of the illegal (Russian hacking and interference); the arrogant (Clinton's campaign) the incompetent (the other Republican candidates) and the ill informed (many of those who voted for Trump.)

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-28-2017, 12:06 AM
Trumps victory was a perfect storm of the illegal (Russian hacking and interference); the arrogant (Clinton's campaign) the incompetent (the other Republican candidates) and the ill informed (many of those who voted for Trump.)

I know you meant to say, the perfect storm of 8 years of incompetence followed by a candidate who actually listened to the American people.

I know you didn't mean to say that more than 60 million Americans WHO VOTED FOR TRUMP were ALL ill informed. Why that would be the height of arrogance and ignorance -- so I know you mistyped.

Carry on.

BTW, I am still waiting for the HOW the alleged Russian hacking changed the outcome of the election. Now exactly what was that information that Americans did not know, but found out because of this alleged hacking?

Since the Democrats never denied anything that was revealed, then PRAVDA it was, comrade. :pound:

JustRalph
09-28-2017, 12:24 AM

Yeah, like those Russian Facebook ads that have so far turned out to be pro Hillary

barahona44
09-28-2017, 01:28 AM
This thread could be the start of something new: PA Poster of the Month ! :D

tucker6
09-28-2017, 06:37 AM

where did I say that someone had to start a thread in order to spam the board? He writes the same drivel over and over, and it came to a point that I didn't want to see his posts any longer. That's what the ignore button is for.

FantasticDan
09-28-2017, 11:14 AM
where did I say that someone had to start a thread in order to spam the board? He writes the same drivel over and over, and it came to a point that I didn't want to see his posts any longer. That's what the ignore button is for.If "writing the same drivel over over and over" is your trigger for putting someone on ignore, I hope you're enjoying the :3: or :4: posters you can still see :ThmbUp:

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2017, 11:38 AM
Almost 20%, if 12% is almost 20%. Anyway, this just momentum from the Obama years. And the first eight months of Obama's term, the Dow went up 37.5%.Really?

November 2016, the S&P was down to about 2,085.

Today, the S&P is around 2,506.

That works out to 20.2%

What math do you use?

lamboguy
09-28-2017, 02:39 PM
congratulations to Reckless for being right on both counts. i was wrong on the market but did not bet my opinion.

i was looking at AAPL, the largest shareholder for them is the Natioanal Bank of Switzerland. they own other company's as well. Switzerland has been debasing their currency and taking that money and sticking it in the markets. i suspect a lot of other countries are doing the same thing including Saudi Arabia.

the average person is not invested in anything to do with these markets. but i have been hearing people complaining that they are not getting a return for their money that they leave in bonds or cd's. when those people get their heads into the market is precisely when the wiseguys will take the s+p apart, but for now you are better off owning stocks and i can't tell you for how long.

for the record all the stocks that i own have underperformed any average known to man!

mostpost
09-28-2017, 03:59 PM
Really?

November 2016, the S&P was down to about 2,085.

Today, the S&P is around 2,506.

That works out to 20.2%

What math do you use?
Nowhere did you say S & P. I clearly said DOW

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Nowhere did you say S & P. I clearly said DOWGood for you. Anyone who pays attention to the markets knows the DOW is not as representative of the markets as a whole, compared to the S&P.

The S&P is the most heavily traded futures contract and the most watched index...the DOW is a relic of the past that still manages to capture the attention of the public at large.

_______
09-28-2017, 04:24 PM
:rant:Good for you. Anyone who pays attention to the markets knows the DOW is not as representative of the markets as a whole, compared to the S&P.

The S&P is the most heavily traded futures contract and the most watched index...the DOW is a relic of the past that still manages to capture the attention of the public at large.

Price weighted which most people don't understand. It's not really even representative of 30 companies. 9 of the companies make up more than 50% of the weighting currently.

I can never understand why the news almost always quotes such a narrow measure when a much more representative one (at least for large cap) is available.

mostpost
09-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Good for you. Anyone who pays attention to the markets knows the DOW is not as representative of the markets as a whole, compared to the S&P.

I don't have the expertise to argue with you on this, although it seems odd that the DOW which has 160 times the volume of the S & P would not be representative. Kind of like claiming that the winner of a mid summer series at Wrigley would be most informative in determining who would win the World Series.

More importantly, you are giving Trump credit for gains made from the start of November. HE DID NOT TAKE OFFICE UNTIL JANUARY 20, 2017.

44% of the gains you speak of took place in the eleven weeks between Nov. 4 and Jan. 20.

I know that you are going to say the markets went up in anticipation of Trump taking office. I say they would have gone up more had he lost. He put a damper on things.

mostpost
09-28-2017, 05:07 PM
As I understand it, conservatives think the Stock Market is going up because investors feel all warm and fuzzy about Trump being a friend of business-less regulations; lower taxes; hot cocoa at night before they go to bed. Therefore they are going to invest more in their businesses. And make more money.

But what happens when their products don't sell? So far consumer spending has increased less than 2%. The out of touch Wall Street community thinks if you build it, it will sell. No, if someone needs it and can afford it, it will sell. This market surge has all the signs of being a bubble which will crash.

AltonKelsey
09-28-2017, 05:10 PM
Almost 20%, if 12% is almost 20%. Anyway, this just momentum from the Obama years. And the first eight months of Obama's term, the Dow went up 37.5%.

"momentum from the Obama years"

Thanks , I had a toothache, but the laughing fit this caused cured it. Send me the bill.

mostpost
09-28-2017, 05:11 PM
:rant:

Price weighted which most people don't understand. It's not really even representative of 30 companies. 9 of the companies make up more than 50% of the weighting currently.

I can never understand why the news almost always quotes such a narrow measure when a much more representative one (at least for large cap) is available.
Maybe you could explain to me what price weighted means. Is it that the more valuable companies are given more weight in establishing the index? Also, am I to understand that 30 companies make up the S & P Index? How many make up the DOW? The Nasdaq?

Thanks for any help.

_______
09-28-2017, 05:17 PM
I don't have the expertise to argue with you on this, although it seems odd that the DOW which has 160 times the volume of the S & P would not be representative. Kind of like claiming that the winner of a mid summer series at Wrigley would be most informative in determining who would win the World Series.

More importantly, you are giving Trump credit for gains made from the start of November. HE DID NOT TAKE OFFICE UNTIL JANUARY 20, 2017.

44% of the gains you speak of took place in the eleven weeks between Nov. 4 and Jan. 20.

I know that you are going to say the markets went up in anticipation of Trump taking office. I say they would have gone up more had he lost. He put a damper on things.

I think you know I'm not a slobbering Trump ass kisser proclaiming every brain fart he utters as "brilliant" the way some here love to do. With that in mind, I'd like you to consider that you are wrong about the market.

Had Clinton won, I have no doubt the market would be up from the election. The overriding reason is a slow u-shaped recovery from the worst recession of our lifetimes. But not as much as it is with the Trump win. It's a lesson I think a lot of Democrats want to ignore. I was shocked at the market reaction the day after the election. But I've come to terms with the idea that Trump represented an end to increasing regulations that have hamstrung growth. Even if tax reform fails (which I now think is a coin flip), the markets like the idea that there will be less constraint on growth under a Trump admin.

I don't like the guy and still believe he is a terrible President but won't gloss over the obvious success he's had in stimulating a favorable market environment.

Clocker
09-28-2017, 05:22 PM
As I understand it, conservatives think the Stock Market is going up because investors feel all warm and fuzzy about Trump being a friend of business-less regulations

Or because Hillary has been retired to pursue her true talents, writing fiction. :p

_______
09-28-2017, 05:24 PM
Maybe you could explain to me what price weighted means. Is it that the more valuable companies are given more weight in establishing the index? Also, am I to understand that 30 companies make up the S & P Index? How many make up the DOW? The Nasdaq?

Thanks for any help.

Dow 30
SP 500
Nasdaq 1000

Price weighted means that a stock priced at $90 has 3x the effect of a stock priced at $30 on the overall index. Today, McDonalds accounted for 24 of the 40 points the Dow gained.

I'm on my phone and can't reply in detail but price weighting is a ridiculous mechanism. A larger cap company with more shares outstanding has less influence than a smaller company with fewer shares because the smaller companies stock price is higher.

reckless
09-28-2017, 05:31 PM

BUT IN ADDITION

Thank you Mike for the kind words. Coming from the you means a lot, especially since you had little reason to say anything.

reckless
09-28-2017, 05:34 PM

I don't 'blame' you for having me on ignore, Gus.

I've unfairly been a wee bit too rough towards you at times in recent months.

reckless
09-28-2017, 05:36 PM

Reckless.

Thanks ________ for the nice words. Actually, for reasons I never understood, I really thought you had me on ignore as well. :)

Again, I appreciate your post, Don.

reckless
09-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Reckless not only knows his “onions” but has the “balls” to stick with his convictions. My vote for sure!

Thanks Tape Reader. I know you're one of the true smart ones in the Financial forum and your post is appreciated.

reckless
09-28-2017, 05:40 PM
:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

I almost never agree with Reckless down here, but he's always struck me as a good egg. Plus, I like someone that consistently posts in such a way that you don't even need to look to see who posted it.

Thanks JHS... actually I never thought you were an almost 'never agree' with guy. I just figured you were among the 10,000 members that have me on ignore. :)

reckless
09-28-2017, 06:06 PM

Even coming from you, this deserves a huh?

There were attempts to interfere with the election by the 'Russians'. How do I know?

Well, the Russians contributed about $140 million to the Clinton Foundation.

Tony Podesta, brother of evil doer John Podesta and Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, was a paid lobbyist for the Russians. He took a $180,000 'commission' for his part in Hillary selling US treasure, uranium, to Putin's Russia.

What’s more, according to the Daily Caller, Uranium One “paid the Podesta Group $40,000 to lobby the State Department, the Senate, the National Park Service and the National Security Council for ‘international mining projects,’ according to a July 20, 2012 filing.”

From million dollar donations to the Clinton Foundation to hiring lobbying firms — namely The Podesta Group, co-founded by Clinton campaign chief John Podesta — by January 2013, Putin had met his goal and owned 20% of American uranium reserves.

Again, if anyone loves Hillary Clinton, it’s the Russians and Vladimir Putin.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/27/john-podestas-brother-bagged-180000-putins-uranium-company/

And then Podesta did this for his Russian sponsors and got a fat check for his work too, before brother John started working for Hillary!

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/super-lobbyist-podesta-got-170k-to-get-russian-sanctions-lifted

And, without repeating the details once again, the impeached, trailer-trash deviant, B.J. Bill Clinton, he the one that rapes women, forces himself and harasses young state employees, and has STDs coursing throughout his body, receives hundreds of thousands of dollars from Russia for 'speeches'.

Yes, the GOP candidates were incompetent, but at the time (June 2016) I called Trump a mortal lock to win the presidency, he wasn't even the GOP nominee!

And you say the Trump voters are ill informed? Again, huh?

You (probably) voted for John Kerry... traitor liar and pansy. You guys said he was a war hero, who served in Vietnam. He lied to Congress and betrayed his country.

You (probably) voted for the aforementioned Bill Clinton. Rapist, traitor, sexual deviant, child molester, and his name wasn't even Clinton. Again, he was impeached, lost his law license, and committed perjury. Nice.

You (probably) voted for Barry Obama. Also, someone who isn't what he said he was. He pulled the all-time con on America. Clowns from the left bought him hook-line-and sinker. History has already proved guys like me right about Barry Soetoro, and guys like you forever conned and ill-informed.

You guys are responsible for Kerry, Clinton, Obama, Hillary!, Bernie, Lizzie the Faux Squaw, Debby Schultz, and a host of other fakes, frauds, and criminals, and you us stupid. :lol::lol:

reckless
09-28-2017, 06:14 PM
I'm appreciative to all your nice words. Since this thread began with Mike reminding us all on how 'reckless' I am with predictions, I'll leave with this great song, Good Advice.

I predict you'll love it, and I suggest you watch the video as well while the song plays on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzp4gnxgWxc

Inner Dirt
09-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Looks like you just got back from following Hillary around on her book tour.

thaskalos
09-28-2017, 06:21 PM
I don't 'blame' you for having me on ignore, Gus.

I've unfairly been a wee bit too rough towards you at times in recent months.

I haven't noticed any particularly rough treatment here from you...and I haven't exactly been kind to you myself. The give-and-take that takes place here is part of the fun for me...and I don't take offense. Plus...when you called me the "most overrated poster here", you weren't alone in your assessment...and I didn't entirely disagree with you.

I was only kidding when I said that I had you on ignore. In fact, if you recall, I was one of the first to admit that I was wrong...and congratulate you on your pre-election prediction.

_______
09-28-2017, 06:35 PM
Thanks ________ for the nice words. Actually, for reasons I never understood, I really thought you had me on ignore as well. :)

Again, I appreciate your post, Don.

I have no one on ignore. I often have weeks long stretches where I'm not active but that never has anything to do with the content of any post. Just busy with life outside Pace Advantage

I was glad that PA posted what he did as it gave me a chance to share what I knew about you from the contest. We will disagree about a lot but I'll never take any of it personally.

mostpost
09-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Even coming from you, this deserves a huh?

There were attempts to interfere with the election by the 'Russians'. How do I know?

Well, the Russians contributed about $140 million to the Clinton Foundation.

Tony Podesta, brother of evil doer John Podesta and Hillary Clinton's campaign manager, was a paid lobbyist for the Russians. He took a $180,000 'commission' for his part in Hillary selling US treasure, uranium, to Putin's Russia.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/07/27/john-podestas-brother-bagged-180000-putins-uranium-company/

And then Podesta did this for his Russian sponsors and got a fat check for his work too, before brother John started working for Hillary!

http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/super-lobbyist-podesta-got-170k-to-get-russian-sanctions-lifted

And, without repeating the details once again, the impeached, trailer-trash deviant, B.J. Bill Clinton, he the one that rapes women, forces himself and harasses young state employees, and has STDs coursing throughout his body, receives hundreds of thousands of dollars from Russia for 'speeches'.

Yes, the GOP candidates were incompetent, but at the time (June 2016) I called Trump a mortal lock to win the presidency, he wasn't even the GOP nominee!

And you say the Trump voters are ill informed? Again, huh?

You (probably) voted for John Kerry... traitor liar and pansy. You guys said he was a war hero, who served in Vietnam. He lied to Congress and betrayed his country.
Are you saying he didn't serve in Viet Nam? Wow. Your delusion truly knows no bounds.
You (probably) voted for the aforementioned Bill Clinton. Rapist, traitor, sexual deviant, child molester, and his name wasn't even Clinton. Again, he was impeached, lost his law license, and committed perjury. Nice.

You (probably) voted for Barry Obama. Also, someone who isn't what he said he was. He pulled the all-time con on America. Clowns from the left bought him hook-line-and sinker. History has already proved guys like me right about Barry Soetoro, and guys like you forever conned and ill-informed.
Yeah, I voted for all those guys.

You guys are responsible for Kerry, Clinton, Obama, Hillary!, Bernie, Lizzie the Faux Squaw, Debby Schultz, and a host of other fakes, frauds, and criminals, and you us stupid. :lol::lol:
This guy is your hero, PA. That seriously calls your judgement into question.

]

classhandicapper
09-28-2017, 08:47 PM

IMO, it's going up in recent months because if tax reform passes, after tax earnings are going be higher which in turn increases the value of the companies. Also, many companies have a ton of money overseas and will be able to bring it back without paying taxes again. So that overseas money is considered to be more valuable if Trump can get this plan through.

It went up under Obama because the economy was in the crapper (not his fault) and the Fed was printing massive amounts of money trying to reinflate assets and the economy.

I'm not sure there's much to celebrate though. While Trump's tax policies will increase the value of American business if passed, imo, stocks are still extremely high relative to the underlying values. That does not bode well for investment returns over the next 5-10 years.

_______
09-28-2017, 10:31 PM
I know we are in the wrong sub forum but I'm going to drag the conversation farther afield from where it started.

Technology stocks are, by and large, cheap. I'll add biotech stocks as also significantly undervalued. I won't speak to the stock market as a whole but there are segments where 10 years from now you will look back and scratch your head at how valuations were ever that low 8 years into a bull market.

There are technology stocks that aren't cheap. I'd stay away from the chip manufacturers who trade like commodities and, with a shortage now, are expensive. But as sure as winter follows fall, the shortage will eventually produce a glut and they'll fall back toward their prior lows.

But, with some exceptions, large cap tech is going to grow faster than the economy as a whole and trades at a lower multiple than the overall market. It's cheap. Even after an 8 year bull market.

Ditto biotech.

There will still be a business cycle. There will still be political winds that blow hot, then cold. But if you can see the big picture and ride out the inevitable waves, it's going to be hard not to make money investing in low p/e stocks that outgrow the economy. If you don't sell.

And before anyone starts yelling "2000!!!" there is no comparison. None. Most internet bubble stocks made no money and had no path to make money. Apple, on the other hand, made more money last quarter than many public companies have in their entire existence.

kingfin66
09-28-2017, 10:56 PM
I know we are in the wrong sub forum but I'm going to drag the conversation farther afield from where it started.

Technology stocks are, by and large, cheap. I'll add biotech stocks as also significantly undervalued. I won't speak to the stock market as a whole but there are segments where 10 years from now you will look back and scratch your head at how valuations were ever that low 8 years into a bull market.

There are technology stocks that aren't cheap. I'd stay away from the chip manufacturers who trade like commodities and, with a shortage now, are expensive. But as sure as winter follows fall, the shortage will eventually produce a glut and they'll fall back toward their prior lows.

But, with some exceptions, large cap tech is going to grow faster than the economy as a whole and trades at a lower multiple than the overall market. It's cheap. Even after an 8 year bull market.

Ditto biotech.

There will still be a business cycle. There will still be political winds that blow hot, then cold. But if you can see the big picture and ride out the inevitable waves, it's going to be hard not to make money investing in low p/e stocks that outgrow the economy. If you don't sell.

And before anyone starts yelling "2000!!!" there is no comparison. None. Most internet bubble stocks made no money and had no path to make money. Apple, on the other hand, made more money last quarter than many public companies have in their entire existence.

If you continue to write posts like this, I predict that you too will get special recognition from PaceAdvantage. The biotech sector is worth a look see.

jms62
09-29-2017, 05:28 AM

Ditto biotech.

Biotech cause nothing gets the heart racing then waking up to a flagship product failing in late stage trials and a 90% Gap down.