PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Hernandez

jocko699
09-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Seems like the family is suing the Pats because he had advance stage CTE.

JustRalph
09-21-2017, 06:29 PM

As Hard hitting as the game is now, they all will be damaged. In ten years nobody is going to want to play

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Now THAT will be interesting. That Concussion movie did a great job on documenting the mental destruction of some of the players. Now let's talk about the high percentage of football players involved in domestic violence.

Could get VERY interesting.

tucker6
09-21-2017, 06:43 PM
problem is what percentage of his illness was from the pros versus college versus high school versus pee wee versus non-football activity. And after you get done with that, you then have to judge whether he committed the crimes as a sociopath or as a brain damaged person. This will certainly be interesting.

MutuelClerk
09-21-2017, 06:52 PM
Sue Urban Meyer for signing the POS in the first place.

jms62
09-21-2017, 07:17 PM
As Hard hitting as the game is now, they all will be damaged. In ten years nobody is going to want to play

After the lawyers get done there may not be an NFL in 10 years.

barahona44
09-21-2017, 07:44 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned here but a study released a couple of months ago of ex-NFL players who donated their brains for medical research after their deaths showed that over 99 % (110 out of 111) had various stages of CTE.Results would be skewed because almost all suspected they had brain damage but those are still startling numbers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NFL_players_with_chronic_traumatic_encepha lopathy

highnote
09-21-2017, 07:58 PM

Earl Morrall helped lead the Dolphins to an undefeated season when Bob Griese got hurt. He played until he was over 40 years old and for a total of 21 seasons. Wikipedia: "After death, examination of his brain disclosed that he had grade 4 (the most serious stage) chronic traumatic encephalopathy."

Now, Brady is 40 years old. It makes you wonder how badly he has CTE.

jocko699
09-21-2017, 09:25 PM
After the lawyers get done there may not be an NFL in 10 years.

Surely you jest JMS. The NFL will be around far after we are in the ground.

ElKabong
09-22-2017, 01:07 AM
Earl Morrall helped lead the Dolphins to an undefeated season when Bob Griese got hurt. He played until he was over 40 years old and for a total of 21 seasons. Wikipedia: "After death, examination of his brain disclosed that he had grade 4 (the most serious stage) chronic traumatic encephalopathy."

Now, Brady is 40 years old. It makes you wonder how badly he has CTE.

Jim Hudson may be a name you're familiar with, after his death a few years ago CTE was found to be present in the autopsy.

Jim is the subject of my favorite sports trivia question. ....He's the only guy to win an ncaa title (Texas Longhorns, football 1963), a super bowl (1969 jets) and a training title (retama park in the 1990s). He was a happy go lucky guy when I met him seventeen years ago. Personality changed over time, I didn't spend much time with him after 2005. Sad, sad disease.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-22-2017, 08:08 AM
I asked a lawyer I know his thoughts on the chances of them winning. His thoughts are -- zero.

"Statistics are not proof."

Does the Hernandez family lawyer think otherwise, or is he just seeing an easy paycheck?

Inner Dirt
09-22-2017, 01:16 PM
Hernandez had a history of committing violent crimes all the way back to when he was a juvenile. The guy has always been gang banging gutter trash, his actions have nothing to do with CTE.

highnote
09-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Hernandez had a history of committing violent crimes all the way back to when he was a juvenile. The guy has always been gang banging gutter trash, his actions have nothing to do with CTE.

Maybe or maybe not. There is no way of knowing if he had CTE as a kid from playing football or other injuries. Of course, there is no way of knowing if he didn't have it, either.

There is evidence that even youth football players show signs of CTE.

Psychiatrists have found that kids with abnormal growths on their brains can show signs of abnormal behavior. One psychiatrist had a nephew with a cyst on his brain and the kid was horribly misbehaved. The psychiatrist recommended a brain scan and that was when the cyst was found. It was removed and the kid became normal.

It's hard to tell what is going on in people's brains.

Sometimes bad behavior is due to faulty wiring. Sometimes bad behavior results from pressure on the brain due to some sort of growth. Sometimes it is bad parenting. Sometimes it is brain damage.

And some kids are probably just bad eggs.

Inner Dirt
09-22-2017, 02:18 PM
And some kids are probably just bad eggs.

I would say that is the case 95% of the time. I have a loser 22 year old nephew doing 2-5 years in the Idaho state pen for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend in presence of a child. I have heard every excuse and BS psychological sugar coating of his behavior ever since his first trip to juvenile hall when he was 14. My favorite is his so called "anger issues" and "impulse control issues." Funny thing he only loses control around women or people smaller than him. I hope he screws up in the joint and never draws another breath of air outside of a jail. He probably does have brain damage from drug use but his behavior was bad long before he did everything from sniffing solvent to taking hallucinogenics.

highnote
09-22-2017, 02:43 PM
I would say that is the case 95% of the time. I have a loser 22 year old nephew doing 2-5 years in the Idaho state pen for attempted strangulation of his girlfriend in presence of a child. I have heard every excuse and BS psychological sugar coating of his behavior ever since his first trip to juvenile hall when he was 14. My favorite is his so called "anger issues" and "impulse control issues." Funny thing he only loses control around women or people smaller than him. I hope he screws up in the joint and never draws another breath of air outside of a jail. He probably does have brain damage from drug use but his behavior was bad long before he did everything from sniffing solvent to taking hallucinogenics.

This is a good example that shows that when it comes to the brain, science still has a long way to go toward solving behavioral issues.

Society is still using a sledgehammer approach when it comes to correcting behavior. We throw them in the slammer and hope they change after doing time. The same thing society has been doing for a thousand years. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Science has a long way to go.

Inner Dirt
09-22-2017, 03:33 PM
This is a good example that shows that when it comes to the brain, science still has a long way to go toward solving behavioral issues.

Society is still using a sledgehammer approach when it comes to correcting behavior. We throw them in the slammer and hope they change after doing time. The same thing society has been doing for a thousand years. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't.

Science has a long way to go.

That isn't always the case. I have a friend who worked in various State of California mental hospitals over a dozen years as a psych tech. The criminals in there stay in unlocked dorms and are basically allowed to roam free without restraints. They rarely lock them down or put them in restraints no matter how bad they behave. My friend did not start working in those institutions till he was in his late 30's and said it changed one major thing about him. He went from being against the death penalty his whole adult life to saying he would happily shoot a lot of the patients between the eyes if he could get away with it. He said some people are just evil and there isn't any drug or therapy that will fix them. He said the mental hospitals don't have any higher success rate of curing people than the prison system. My nephew fits that bill, doesn't matter if you pat him on the back or kick him in the ass the results are the same.

tucker6
09-23-2017, 06:39 AM
That isn't always the case. I have a friend who worked in various State of California mental hospitals over a dozen years as a psych tech. The criminals in there stay in unlocked dorms and are basically allowed to roam free without restraints. They rarely lock them down or put them in restraints no matter how bad they behave. My friend did not start working in those institutions till he was in his late 30's and said it changed one major thing about him. He went from being against the death penalty his whole adult life to saying he would happily shoot a lot of the patients between the eyes if he could get away with it. He said some people are just evil and there isn't any drug or therapy that will fix them. He said the mental hospitals don't have any higher success rate of curing people than the prison system. My nephew fits that bill, doesn't matter if you pat him on the back or kick him in the ass the results are the same.

This is so true. My first wife worked as a therapist in a state mental hospital for 32 years. Some people are born evil and better off dead for everyone's sake. Very, very few progress to full rehabilitation.

Inner Dirt
09-23-2017, 09:54 AM
This is so true. My first wife worked as a therapist in a state mental hospital for 32 years. Some people are born evil and better off dead for everyone's sake. Very, very few progress to full rehabilitation.

I never hear death penalty opponents ever acknowledge the risk innocent people are put at by keeping the most dangerous criminals alive. In fact I rarely even hear death penalty proponents mention it. The state mental hospitals are a lot more dangerous than the prisons because of the freedoms allowed the inmates. Pretty sure the state your ex wife worked in wasn't as lax as California. My friend probably worked at a half dozen of them throughout the state, all of them had had a recent (within a few years) fatal assault of staff. Since it isn't the poor prisoners allegedly getting mistreated the horrors inside don't get any news coverage. There was a death at one facility while my friend worked there, even the local TV news didn't cover it.