PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Sunday, September 17

Teach
09-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Race One:
Bob Falcone, Jr. won the opener yesterday with Here and There (Nik Juarez in the irons). Can history repeat itself? Maybe his stable mascots, Snickers and Cannoli (yummy, I’ll have one with an espresso), will bring him luck (oh, they’re miniature horses). You may have already deduced that my pick here in this claiming route is :6: JOHN’S ISLAND. This Posse-bred bay gelding can close. This race appears to set up for a horse that can do just that. Make no mistake: this Silver Deputy-bred “can get the distance”. I’m sure this 6 year-old would prefer some wetness on the Belmont oval, yet I don’t believe that’s forthcoming (I don’t know the weather in New York, but it’s foggy in the Boston area this morning). The horse’s jockey is the Eric Cancel. Both his parents, Gerrela and Efrain, were race-riders in his native Puerto Rico. Others: :4:, :3:, :2:

Race Two:
In this 50k MC 2 year-old sprint, I’m picking :8: MAGNANIMOUS MAN. This alliteratively-named chestnut gelding has tried the turf in his last two – with little success. Well, this Wesley Ward-trainee is now back on the main. Some may forget that in 1984 now trainer Ward was a former jockey who won the Eclipse Award for outstanding apprentice. Ward turned to training in 1991 as an assistant to his father, Dennis Ward. Well, the change in surfaces and the cut back in today’s race- distance may do this 2 year-old a world of good. Oh, one final point: this gelding now drops into “the selling ranks” for the first time. The caliber of today’s company may be more to his liking. “The Cajun Kid” from Zydeco country, Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons. Others: :3:, :7:, :1:/:1a:

Race Three:
In this 6-panels 20k MC, I’m picking: :8: SCHIVARELLI. This David Jacobson trainee finished off the board in his last, an OC event (he had gate issues), up at “The Spa” in early-August. Prior to that, this Montbrook-bred finished 5th in Grade III stakes company at Churchill Downs (he’s competed in stakes events throughout his racing career). Well, his trainer, Jacobson, does very well with 1st time claimers (this 6 year-old was claimed out of the Eddie Kenneally barn). Yes, this Trippi-bred is now dropping into a race with the kind of company he can handle. The hot as a petardo (firecracker), the meet’s leading rider, the Maracaibo, Venezuela native, Javier Castellano (two winners on yesterday’s card), is in the irons. Others: :7:, :5:, :2:

Race Four:
No, you won’t find the game-show host, Howie Mandel, but I say: :7: NO DEAL. Yes, this Pulpit-bred filly comes off a 3rd-place finish in her last, a similar MSW event up at “The Spa”. This filly’s only pari-mutuel try was not without its gate nuances. The DRF’s trouble-line states: “Push in st”. “Caromed” might be an overstatement; yet, make no mistake, this Harlan’s Holiday-bred was “guided” (aided and abetted) in “angling” to the inside by the horse to her immediate outside (that horse was crossing over toward the rail). What impact that had as to the outcome of the race…? Well, you’ll have to draw your own conclusions (No Deal actually, for a flickering moment, led in mid-stretch). Conclusion: this filly is game. Make no mistake. Better post. Smaller field. Anyway. Phil Serpe trains this daughter of Hout Bay. The al vivo rojo (red-hot) Luis Saez, has his feet in the stirrups. Others: :8:, :5:, :3:

Race Five:
“It Don’t Mean A Thing (If It Ain’t Got That Swing)” O.K., you jazz aficiandos, you’ve probably figured out that my pick in this 50k allowance turf-route is: :3: CALIFORNIA SWING. This Malibu Moon-bred 3 year-old has won two-straight at the distance, albeit against claiming company. This A.P. Indy-bred now picks up the services of the meet’s leading rider, Javier Castellano. This colt’s trainer is the most capable Monsieur Christophe Clement (tres magnifique). Clement does very well with both winners of their last race and turf starts. A sharp recent work bolsters confidence. Others: :2:, :6:, :8:

Race Six:
:8: HOLDING ACES is dropping significantly into a 6 and ½ panels, n3L, 25k claiming sprint. That alone should be a wake-up call. This chestnut ridgling was 5th in his last up at “The Spa”; he went off “the chalk”. His trainer, Chris Englehart, does extremely well with horses that were beaten favorites. A sharp recent morning-work bolsters confidence. This Eskendereya-bred should be out and winging when the gates open. Manny Franco reprises the ride. Others: :7:, :6:, :4:

Race Seven:
My choice here is :10: FIVEINTHEMORNING. This 2 year-old Morning Line-bred filly should be closing in deep stretch (the added half-panel) should help) in this 6-panels MSW state-bred turf sprint. Jorge Abreu conditions this Tiznow-bred grand-daughter. Abreu does extremely well horses entered in MSW, albeit with a very limited sampling. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is once again this filly’s pilot. Others: :2:, :4:, :6:

Race Eight:
In this OC, one-mile on the turf, I’m picking: :2: NEVISIAN SKY. It’s the “dynamic duo,” again: “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown and Javier Castellano (they combined for two winners on yesterday’s card). It should be noted that this Sky Mesa-bred chestnut gelding has finished second – as the beaten favorite – in his last two races. That’s concerning. Yet, I still rate this 4 year-old has the horse to beat. Others: :3:, :9:, :4:

Race Nine:
In this 6 and ½ panels state-bred allowance, I’m going with the :2:, GUCCI FACTOR. This 4 year-old Gio Ponti-bred gelding finished up the track as the favorite against better in his last, a 7-furlongs race in the first week of the Saratoga meet. Prior to that this gelding broke his maiden in resounding fashion in a one-mile MSW at Belmont Park. Christophe Clement – he does well with beaten favorites – is this gelding’s trainer. A solid 4-panels morning work signals readiness. Irad Ortiz, Jr. has the call. Others: :8:, :1:/:1a:, :3:

Race Ten:
In the finale, a 7-panels state-bred 40k MC turf-race, my longshot pick on today’s card: :8: YOUTH GONE WILD. This Utopia-bred grey filly is cutting back more than a panel. This filly had a tough starti8ng post in her last, a one and one-sixteenth mile route; she now gets some post position relief. It’s true, she hasn’t raced in over two months. That is a concern. Yet, I believe, at her best, she can prevail. Rodrigo Ubillo trains this grand-daughter of Forty Niner. Angel Arroyo is in the irons. Others: :6:, :3:, :7: