PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Saturday, September 9

Teach
09-09-2017, 11:59 AM
I'd just like to say that my thoughts and prayers are with the people of Florida. Several of my former teaching colleagues -- after their careers were over -- relocated to the Naples area of S.W. Florida. Most come back to MA during the summer; yet a few stay in FL, year-round. In any event, they all have homes down there.

Race One:

:7: NISHA gets my nod in this 6 and ½ panels claiming sprint. This 3 year-old First Samurai-bred filly should be forwardly-placed. If all goes well, this filly should be “stalking-and-pouncing”. The most capable Mike Maker, the son of a trainer honed his craft under the tutelage of the Hall-of-Fame trainer, D. Wayne Lukas. Maker does exceptionally well when entering horses: 2nd off a claim. He also has an outstanding record with horses going: sprint-route-sprint. Personally, I like the turf-to-dirt angle. The Panamanian, Luis Saez, is in the irons. Finally a solid recent morning work – 4 panels in :48.1, handily – bolsters confidence. Others: :6:, :2:, :4:

Race Two:

:9: TRIANGULATE gets my call in the MSW turf-sprint. As I’ve stated on other occasions: “In the land of the first-time starters, the horse with a race under his belt is king”. I believe this holds true, here. That why I’m picking this War Front-bred bay colt. Frankly and unabashedly, this 2 year-old showed little in his first pari-mutuel try, but I’m willing to give him “a mulligan”. His connections are impeccable: Javier Castellano in the irons. The Venezuelan native "booted home” two winners on yesterday’s card; both, by the way, for the colt’s conditioner and one of NYRA’s leading trainers, “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown. Oh, the owners, the Klaravich Stables, are a top-notch outfit. You might add that this colt was well bet in his last; he went off at slightly better than 4-to-1. A solid recent 4-panels work adds to my confidence level. Others: :10:, :6:, :5:

Race Three:
:3: CARLINO is "a plodder." That’s just what it may take in this short-field, allowance route. This Lemon Drop Kid-bred gelding won at today’s distance two races back at Belmont, albeit against claiming company. In his last start, at the beginning of the Saratoga meet, this Langfuhr-bred finished 2nd-a head in a one mile and one-eighth allowance. Today’s one-panel cut back should help. Trainer Mark Hennig conditions this gelded son of Film Charm. Junior Alvarado will have his feet in the stirrups. Others: :7:, :1:, :5:

Race Four:

Does the “Chad and Javier Show” continue today (after yesterday’s rave reviews) in Elmont, New York? I believe the answer is an emphatic yes! Two of the best at their trade: Javier Castellano, a master at rating horses, and “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown, one of NYRA’s leading trainers, should combine their skills to put this 2 year-old Mineshaft-bred colt – 5 COAL TRUTH – in the winner’s circle. This highly-priced A.P. Indy-bred hit the gate in his only start (he went off “the chalk” in that one) and was then caught 6-wide. Well, today, with that one under his belt and the gate issues hopefully behind him, he should be ready to have his picture taken. I should mention that Brown does extremely well both with: (1) first race at a route and (2) horses going sprint-to-route. By the way, Brown appears to be “a man on a mission” after being nosed out by Todd Pletcher for Spa training honors. Oh, a couple solid morning works bolsters confidence. Others: :2:, :6:

Race Five:

I never let my emotions get the best of me – oh, maybe once in a while – and I’m not picking the :10:, FANCY KITTEN, based simply on the fact that I'm enamored with the riding skills of Senor Javier Castellano and the training skills of Mr. Chad Brown, Folks, I definitely believe this Kitten’s Joy-bred has a distinct shot. Yes, I know, the outside starting post in this turf route, on what I call “the sidehill” of The Widener, is not the most advantageous place to begin a race. Yet, if the veteran reinsman from Maracaibo can overcome that disadvantageous starting point, he can, in my opinion, make his mount: “a player”. This El Prado-bred has shown that she’s handy enough to get herself into the outside flow. Oh, this 3 year-old filly is dropping down from her last start at GP a couple months ago against non-graded stakes company. Others: :1:, :5:, :8:.

Race Six:

Is this a “red-letter day” for the Castellano-Brown duo? I believe that it could be. In any event, you've probably figured out by now that I’m pickin’ :1: WAKE ISLAND in this MSW route on The Inner. Today could be the day that this 3 year-old War Front-bred filly is “throwing the garter” instead of catching it (she’s been a bridesmaid in her last three). Only slight improvement would be needed to put this Danzig-bred filly in the winner’s circle. Yes, this Unbridled’s Song-bred has been away from the races for a while; yet, her trainer, the aforementioned Brown, does reasonably well in that category. A solid recent work - :48.2 for four panels – bolsters my confidence. Others: :3:, :5:, :6:

Race Seven:

:12: HIGH JINGO, the Terri Pompay-trained chestnut filly, gets my tepid nod in this allowance, n1x, turf sprint. This Shackleford-bred 3 year-old should benefit from her outside starting post; she won her last at 5 and ½ panels on the lawn at the Spa about one month ago. She now moves up to face winners. I should also mention that this filly has been competing against state-bred company; she now moves up to face the open competition. Yet, at her best, she can prevail. The aforementioned Terri Pompay does very well with horses making their second grass start, albeit with a limited sampling. Paco Lopez is in the irons. Others: :11:, :3:, :7:

Race Eight:

My top pick: :6: FAR FROM OVER was declared.
Others: :3:, :4:, :1:

Race Nine:

In this OC route on The Inner, I’m picking :4: CAMELOT KITTEN (this colt now gets “a more convenient spot”) to position himself, as opposed to the “9-hole” that he started from in his last. In that one, at "The Spa," a little over one month ago, he ran into some traffic and finished 7th, yet less than four lengths off the winner. This Kitten’s Joy-bred is a classy sort who’s faced top-tier turf competition throughout her racing career, that includes wins in the Grade III Hill Price, the Grade II Hall of Fame, the Grade I Pennine Ridge and the Grade II American Turf. Irad Ortiz, Jr. reprises the ride for trainer Chad Brown. Others: :7:, :9:, :3:

Race Ten:

In the finale, a 40K claiming turf sprint, n2L, I’m selecting :2: PECULIAR SENSATION. This gelding’s pilot, “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, reprises the ride for the accomplished trainer, Nick Esler. I believe this d’Wildcat-bred gelding has a “De-Lovely” (Cole Porter) shot of garnering his second career win (this gelding has hit the board in 8 out of 13 lifetime tries; he’s 4 for 7, lifetime, on the turf). This gelding’s last a race, a route at The Spa,” may well have been “a bridge too far”. Today’s turn back could be a prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. Others: :5:, :10:, :7:

FlintAtTheFetlock
09-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Good call :12: in BEL R7, Should have had it. Paco way too casual IMO. Spend less time look around and more time getting your horse to the wire :bang: Painful second to a monster bomb..

I enjoy your commentary and selections. Keep it coming Teach. Neighbor...Boston...