PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irma

Ocala Mike
09-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Early warning time: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-labor-day-20170904-story.html

barahona44
09-05-2017, 01:03 PM
Irma is the first Atlantic hurricane to ever reach Category 5 status outside the the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico and it's still 150 miles from land. (Antigua).Looks like this will end up being one of the all time powerhouse hurricanes.

boxcar
09-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Irma is the first Atlantic hurricane to ever reach Category 5 status outside the the Caribbean or Gulf of Mexico and it's still 150 miles from land. (Antigua).Looks like this will end up being one of the all time powerhouse hurricanes.

It's already in the top 7 hurricanes, historically -- since these storms have been tracked. This is indeed could prove to be another Andrew -- but this time on steroids.

Valuist
09-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Bucs/Dolphins game looks like it will either be postponed or moved.

jimmyb
09-05-2017, 03:23 PM
I was in Florida when Charlie leveled Punta Gorda and Ivan tore up the pan handle. A couple more came thru that year as well.

The worst of it was insurance companies paying 30 cents on the dollar and premiums going up 400%. Some just abandoned their property or what was left of it. I hope lessons were learned.

Stay safe Mke and all.

woodtoo
09-05-2017, 03:30 PM
Florida Keys storm surge projected to be 11 feet. Stay safe.

Marshall Bennett
09-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Seems everything hinges on when it makes a right turn north. That's suppose to happen sometime Sat. or Sun. I'd imagine by Thursday they'll have a better target forecast. Such a storm making a direct hit on Miami would be catastrophic. If it travels a bit further west before turning north, Tampa would get it. Best case scenario would be an early turn having it skirt the east coast. Whatever the case, If I lived in Florida I'd be really concerned.

RunForTheRoses
09-05-2017, 07:06 PM
This does seem like one heck of a storm. In a way it is interesting to see Mother Nature assert herself, unfortunately the damage done will be severe. 185 MPH winds! Holy Shit!

ElKabong
09-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Wishing the folks in south Florida the best. Have a son in law in Lakeland, glad he's not on the coast. He has two brothers that are dealing with Harvey.

If you can get out, I hope you do.

barahona44
09-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Bucs/Dolphins game looks like it will either be postponed or moved.
Possibly to Pittsburgh or Philiadelphia.It's happened before.A couple of years ago when Buffalo had a freak huge snowstorm in November, they played the Jets in Detroit.And before that when the Metrodome roof collapsed , the Vikings went to Detroit to play the Giants.

Apparently Detroit wasn't available this weekend.

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/philiadelphia-or-pittsburgh-could-host-dolphins-buccaneers-game/392915

Boris
09-06-2017, 12:28 AM
It's already a little nuts in the Tampa area. Gas stations are backed up. No bottled water available. Grocery stores are starting to thin out. The good news is there is time to re-stock. I think watching Houston has put the fear in these folks.

boxcar
09-06-2017, 08:28 AM
It's already a little nuts in the Tampa area. Gas stations are backed up. No bottled water available. Grocery stores are starting to thin out. The good news is there is time to re-stock. I think watching Houston has put the fear in these folks.

The latest 5-day model suggests that Tampa might escape the bullet. Wunderground.com has the storm moving up along the east coast or directly hitting the peninsular at the south and moving straight up it north. This latter scenario could be disastrous for the Lake Okeechobee area which is NW of me.

maddog42
09-06-2017, 08:46 AM
The latest 5-day model suggests that Tampa might escape the bullet. Wunderground.com has the storm moving up along the east coast or directly hitting the peninsular at the south and moving straight up it north. This latter scenario could be disastrous for the Lake Okeechobee area which is NW of me.

Be careful Boxcar.

Ocala Mike
09-06-2017, 08:14 PM
Good news: I'm well inland, and 70' above sea level. Bad news: I'm in a mobile on a 3-acre farm with two horses to take care of in the pasture. We rode out several of these in '04, but this one's a real monster. Hoping it turns early up the Atlantic coast.

My mobile was built to post-Andrew standards, but if the winds get too high, all bets are off.

betovernetcapper
09-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Just got a call from Ian Meyers & he's right in the path of the hurricane. From our conversation it sounds like his home is going to take a hit at the minimum. He's stocking up on bottled water. Ian is one of the good guys & if you believe in God, please mention him in your prayers.

magwell
09-07-2017, 08:47 AM
Anyone in the path of Irma don't forget to fill you bathtubs with water if you lose ur water for a while you'll only have one flush so as long as you put water in the tank you'll be able to still flush, I learned this in 92 with Andrew........:)

chadk66
09-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Anyone in the path of Irma don't forget to fill you bathtubs with water if you lose ur water for a while you'll only have one flush so as long as you put water in the tank you'll be able to still flush, I learned this in 92 with Andrew........:)that's great advice.

Marshall Bennett
09-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Fill a child's plastic swimming pool. My sister did this years ago during Alicia and had it right in living room. :)

JustRalph
09-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Don't forget, you have pre hurricane water in your hot water tank too.

I recommend a nice long hot shower, right before the crap hits the fan. U never know how long until u get another

barahona44
09-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Don't forget, you have pre hurricane water in your hot water tank too.

I recommend a nice long hot shower, right before the crap hits the fan. U never know how long until u get another
Fill some 2 liter soft drink bottles or plastic milk jugs with water and leave them out in the sun (post hurricane).Assuming a sunny day, by mid to late afternoon they should be warm enough to have an OK shower.2 or 3 should be enough to at least get the sweat off you, you may need one more if you want a shampoo, if you have shorter hair.Also, don't towel dry, drip dry, it will keep you cooler. Been doing this in Santo Domingo for 25 years, as few homes have hot water heaters.A couple a days a week I have to boil water but most days, I can do this. Third World livin'.:)

If it's a rainy or cloudy day, you are shirt out of luck.

chadk66
09-07-2017, 10:47 PM
what areas does the mandatory evac affect?

barahona44
09-08-2017, 01:02 AM
what areas does the mandatory evac affect?
This list was dated today but no time of publication was listed so there are probably more.Monroe County is the county for the Florida Keys.Also, many counties bordering the water are making people in mobile homes evacuate.

http://time.com/4931378/hurricane-irma-evacuation-zones/

Valuist
09-08-2017, 01:25 AM
An 8.0 magnitude earthquake just hit southern Mexico near Guatemala border. Tsunami warnings for the Gulf.

barahona44
09-08-2017, 01:52 AM
An 8.0 magnitude earthquake just hit southern Mexico near Guatemala border. Tsunami warnings for the Gulf.
Three hurricanes (besides Irma, there is Jose following in almost the same path and Katia which is threatening the Mexican coast,Gulf of Mexico side.If all 3 make landfall, that would be the first time that has happened in recorded history. Now an 8.0 earthquake with a possible tsunami.

Mother Nature is seriously pissed off this week.

Redboard
09-08-2017, 10:06 AM
The forecast the local weather man gave last night defies logic-at least my understanding of how hurricanes work. He had it passing through Miami and essentialy going north and spliting the state, and remaining a cat 4 until it hits Savannah Geogia, where it goes down to a cat 1. How can a hurricane stay on land that long (over 300 miles) and not Peter out? I thought that once it moved over land it lost energy . Apparently this motherbleeper is so powerfull and wide (I've heard reports of 500 miles) that it will be able to fuel itself from warm water on both sides (ocean & gulf) while it devours the state. BTW I'm sick and tired of checking forecasts so no need to reply with one. I'll check the evening news tonight. As of now. the eye is supposed to go directly over my head, according to the local guy.

Redboard
09-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Good news: I'm well inland, and 70' above sea level. Bad news: I'm in a mobile on a 3-acre farm with two horses to take care of in the pasture. We rode out several of these in '04, but this one's a real monster. Hoping it turns early up the Atlantic coast.

My mobile was built to post-Andrew standards, but if the winds get too high, all bets are off.

Good luck Mike.. Is there a pet shelter where you can take the horses? If winds get to over 100mph, well...... youre welcome to stay with my wife & I for a few nights. We live in a single home that should be ok, we're pretty sure lose power though.

Ocala Mike
09-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Working with my daughter and son-in-law to have the horses stall bound to ride this thing out here. If the evacuation order for mobiles in Marion County comes, I'll pack up the dog and cat with some stuff and go to my daughter's pretty sturdy new house around 10 miles from me.

Crazy traffic on I-75 and US-27 (plus the remnants of the flu) keeping me housebound right now - won't even go to OBS ITW. Guess I'll play on-line Belmont.

Marshall Bennett
09-08-2017, 01:16 PM
The forecast the local weather man gave last night defies logic-at least my understanding of how hurricanes work. He had it passing through Miami and essentialy going north and spliting the state, and remaining a cat 4 until it hits Savannah Geogia, where it goes down to a cat 1. How can a hurricane stay on land that long (over 300 miles) and not Peter out? I thought that once it moved over land it lost energy . Apparently this motherbleeper is so powerfull and wide (I've heard reports of 500 miles) that it will be able to fuel itself from warm water on both sides (ocean & gulf) while it devours the state. BTW I'm sick and tired of checking forecasts so no need to reply with one. I'll check the evening news tonight. As of now. the eye is supposed to go directly over my head, according to the local guy.
Not sure what forecast you're referring to. At present projection it will cross coast near Miami as a cat 4 storm, within a couple hundred miles downgraded to a 2, and then a 1 in northern part of state. This is the worst case scenario for Florida other than being a 5 at landfall. I believe forecasters underestimated strength and speed with early projections, and now has the storm turning north later than expected. Only hope is perhaps it will delay turn long enough and go into the Gulf, then perhaps less populated coastal areas.

davew
09-08-2017, 03:27 PM
If Dade county has mandatory evacuations, what happens to the horses stabled at Gulfstream and that training center nearby - do they grooms stick around or leave as well?

Redboard
09-08-2017, 06:04 PM
Not sure what forecast you're referring ......
Chief meteorologist Tony Mainolfi.

Greyfox
09-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Once again CNN is telling people "Do as I say, not as I do."
They have reporters in Florida asking people why they aren't obeying the evacuation orders?
Why isn't CNN obeying that order?
Their latent message is that it's okay to ride out the storm.

fast4522
09-08-2017, 08:19 PM
Working with my daughter and son-in-law to have the horses stall bound to ride this thing out here. If the evacuation order for mobiles in Marion County comes, I'll pack up the dog and cat with some stuff and go to my daughter's pretty sturdy new house around 10 miles from me.

Crazy traffic on I-75 and US-27 (plus the remnants of the flu) keeping me housebound right now - won't even go to OBS ITW. Guess I'll play on-line Belmont.

Heck, sounds like a good enough excuse as any to pack that maxwell house can full of silver into your car and spend the evening with them and play some poker. I did that every year at least once when the wife's dad was still alive, if you have some grand kids its a no brainier. Whatever you end up doing keep safe, and best of luck to you and family.

Tape Reader
09-08-2017, 08:20 PM
They have reporters in Florida asking people why they aren't obeying the evacuation orders?

Reporters are always great at “being there.”

One of my favorites is when during the first Gulf War, a juvenile, CNN reporter, asked a sun burned US. Marine holding a weapon, “Do you know why you are here?”

I guess this reporter kid was looking for some philosophical answer that would impress his boss.

MARINE: Yeah, to kick ass!

Ocala Mike
09-09-2017, 12:18 PM
Thanks, fast - yeah, we'll play some board games or something and stay occupied. Unfortunately, my one and only grandchild is 9-yo Leo in Murray, Utah - just visited there a couple of months ago.

boxcar
09-10-2017, 07:01 AM
Mornin' One and All:

It's about 6:50 A.M. and squalls have been coming and a goin'. Right now my areas is in this latter status which is why I'm typing this. Power has been on overall, but we've had our share of brown-outs which is why I why I'll be shutting down all my electronic equipment very shortly. (I have already cut off power to all my refrigeration and a/c.) I'm actually surprised that we haven't lost all power by now since we live in an unincorporated part of our county where we get no respect. :D

Hundreds of thousands are already without juice in Dade County (home of Miami for those unfamiliar with Swampland). And Broward County just to the north of Dade isn't fairing too well either.

Storm is supposed to hit the keys in a few hours I think. What is bummer, though, is that the hurricane has slowed down appreciably which means we could get a lot of rain.

Talk to you guys later Lord willin' and the crik doesn't rise. :coffee:

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-10-2017, 08:45 AM

They are doing the same at FOX. For some reason all news outlets believe that putting their reporters in harm's way is the way to go.

barahona44
09-10-2017, 09:37 AM
They are doing the same at FOX. For some reason all news outlets believe that putting their reporters in harm's way is the way to go.

The Weather Channel has their reporter in the middle of a Miami street standing in a foot of rushing water,barely able to balance himself.I think the network is waiting for the moment he gets knocked over so they get lots of free publicity.My wife had Univision on and one of their reporters was in Homestead standing in front of a couple of downed trees.I believe where there are knocked down trees,there are bound to be MORE trees and limbs flying around.
These networks can be mercenary.

TBD
09-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Well just setting here in Tampa, waiting for all hell to break loose. Bath tubs are full, windows boarded up. Time for the wait and see mode.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2017, 12:05 PM
I hope all you guys in Florida fare as well as our Houston members fared during Harvey...here's hoping those hurricane code homes hold up as planned and you don't get hit with too much flooding. :ThmbUp:

Redboard
09-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Here it is raining and winds at 14mph with 32mph gusts. According to this wind ap (Windy) our worst time will be 9am Monday which will have 50mph/100mph gusts.

The Tampa area (according to this ap) will experience its worst at 6am Monday with 63mph/122mph.

Of course your problem will be the surge after the eye has just passed Tampa bay, especially with the thing slowing down.

Clocker
09-10-2017, 12:43 PM

Darwin's theory in action.

ElKabong
09-10-2017, 03:00 PM
Sure wish the Florida folks on here could have evacuated. For those that stayed, hoping and praying for the best. Tried to talk my son in law in Lakeland into going to a shelter. No go... As hard headed as his mom.

TBD
09-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Yep, the bay is going ultra low. Water has moved sixty feet from low tide markers. As the eye passes here we will be coming back to high tide. Flooding will be the biggest concern. The news here was showing pictures of how far out the bay was draining. Still showing some knuckle heads out on the beaches.

JustRalph
09-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Sure wish the Florida folks on here could have evacuated. For those that stayed, hoping and praying for the best. Tried to talk my son in law in Lakeland into going to a shelter. No go... As hard headed as his mom.

I have a sister who didn't leave. All she said was "I am safe" :bang:

JustRalph
09-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Here we go

https://twitter.com/WPLGLocal10/status/906934340445245440

Marshall Bennett
09-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Always a problem staying behind. Although safe, you're without power for days, its hot and humid when sun returns, and other than looking at all the destruction and feeling hopeless, there's not much to do. You've stayed behind to protect your property, when its in no better shape had you left.
People who have nowhere to go or have little money have at least some excuse. Those that do have no excuse imo. This with storms of the magnitude of Irma.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-10-2017, 05:26 PM
The Weather Channel has their reporter in the middle of a Miami street standing in a foot of rushing water,barely able to balance himself.I think the network is waiting for the moment he gets knocked over so they get lots of free publicity.My wife had Univision on and one of their reporters was in Homestead standing in front of a couple of downed trees.I believe where there are knocked down trees,there are bound to be MORE trees and limbs flying around.
These networks can be mercenary.

I agree 100%. Of course they would never admit it, but they are praying to catch something terrible to happen on live TV,

Redboard
09-10-2017, 06:16 PM
Looks like it hit land a little earlier than expected and may actually pass Tampa on the east, which is good news. They're still get surge when the eye moves north of Tampa, but not to the extent predicted, which is a huge break. The eye wall is breaking up and it should pass closer to me, but won't be as powerful.
Over 2 million without power in FL but I'm still up. When it goes off, it will take days to restore because they won't send people out in the storm.

jocko699
09-10-2017, 06:35 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article172469001.html

JustRalph
09-10-2017, 10:52 PM
https://twitter.com/invisibleman_17/status/906989345810403329

JustRalph
09-11-2017, 01:56 AM
https://twitter.com/MiamiPD/status/907053673011871747

TBD
09-11-2017, 02:20 AM
Looks like a fine group of community service workers. Hopefully this group will get stiff suspended sentences. They should be capable of shoveling large quantities of sludge at the waste water treatment plant.

Clocker
09-11-2017, 02:23 PM
The Weather Channel has their reporter in the middle of a Miami street standing in a foot of rushing water,barely able to balance himself.

http://ace.mu.nu/archives/cnn%20melanias%20shoes.jpg

woodtoo
09-11-2017, 03:06 PM
https://twitter.com/MiamiPD/status/907053673011871747

Are these the new shoes they just stole or are they from their last looting?
They never loot work boot stores do they? :lol:

upthecreek
09-11-2017, 04:22 PM
I've seen on Twitter people calling Fox News racists for showing black people looting and others referring to it as "spontaneous redistribution"
What a joke

Nutz and Boltz
09-13-2017, 11:48 AM
The stock market rises on news that the destruction from Irma was not as bad as expected! Tell these people that !

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/12/us/irma-damage-aftermath/index.html

http://nypost.com/2017/09/13/people-found-dead-at-florida-nursing-home-that-lost-power-during-irma/

And the beat goes on..

Racetrack Playa
09-13-2017, 07:25 PM
:eek: Maybe should have stayed inside-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qR0AA0CkQo

Big Russ
09-13-2017, 09:19 PM
My wife and I evacuated from Tampa (Odessa) to Disney (French Quarter). It was the best storm shelter evahhh! Then, to get so lucky with how things turned out for Tampa...inside straight. I still have knots in my stomach knowing what could have happened.

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2017, 03:38 PM
:eek: Maybe should have stayed inside-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qR0AA0CkQoFake...but hilarious

Ocala Mike
09-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Survived Irmageddon with only a couple of trees down (no damage that trimmers can't fix). Al animals, me, and property safe. Now (wouldn't you know it) we're getting hit by a massive T-storm; so it goes.

Without power and internet for 5 full days - like being in jail, but my daughter's generator came in handy (stayed there quite a bit).

JustRalph
09-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Great news Mike :ThmbUp:

Tom
09-16-2017, 10:36 AM
Here we go

https://twitter.com/WPLGLocal10/status/906934340445245440

Free Stuff Matters

Tom
09-16-2017, 10:39 AM
Survived Irmageddon with only a couple of trees down (no damage that trimmers can't fix). Al animals, me, and property safe. Now (wouldn't you know it) we're getting hit by a massive T-storm; so it goes.

Without power and internet for 5 full days - like being in jail, but my daughter's generator came in handy (stayed there quite a bit).

Glad you are OK, Mike!

BTW, love your new shoes! ;)

boxcar
09-16-2017, 10:42 AM

Glad to hear that you made it through okay. We would have definitely suffered tree and hedge damage if we hadn't trimmed our hedge while Irma was still way out in the ocean as a tropical depression and then in the next week trim all three of our front yard trees.

Technically, we were without power for 3 days, as it came back on (unbeknownst to us) around 8 P.M. Wednesday. (We had just refilled our gas tank to the generator around 7:30 P.M. to run it overnight.) Our neighborhood, generally, underwent quite a transformation in terms of aesthetics since numerous wood fences and large trees came down.

We really got a pretty good idea of just how powerful hurricane force winds are. We watched the storm comfortably and safely from under the L-shaped portion of our flat roof on our screened in patio which was well protected and enclosed by hurricane fabric (heavy and very fine screening type product). The fabric attaches horizontally to the top of the beams and to any horizontal concrete or to the concrete ground itself by numerous SS sidewalk bolts. Nothing attaches at all vertically. So, we could see and hear how violently the side flaps of the fabric hit the side of the house. And what was really neat was that on the most windy side (the east) we had two large wind chimes hanging right on a perimeter cross beam (just immediately on the other side of the fabric which was attached on the outside of patio screen). Only during the most strongest gusts did the chimes make a slight sound. (Two other large wind chimes hanging deeper into our patio were completely silent for the entire storm!) The fabric lets only about 5% of the wind into the enclosed area. A very neat product.

Tom
09-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Glad for you too, boxcar.:ThmbUp:

Somehow, I had a vision in my mind of you parting the storm surge!

RunForTheRoses
09-16-2017, 10:55 AM
It is heartwarming to see people coming together in the face of adersity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=95&v=-6-xokjS4PE

RunForTheRoses
09-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Don't you love how the usual suspects are using the hurricanes to get all scientific about global warming. A left wing coworker says to me the other day, How can these Republicans deny global warming now, like it was their fault for the hurricanes. Ludicrous.

http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/350399-stevie-wonder-anyone-who-doesnt-believe-in-global-warming-must

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/908030951975989261

https://scontent.fewr1-4.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21728409_10213950309341400_2611757059949615664_n.j pg?oh=65ad33c76c6ecfc3482b3d71b96a4f88&oe=5A54F68F

Tom
09-16-2017, 11:24 AM
Did you watch any of the left-wing special telethon for the hurricane?

What a total idiot Stevie Wonder is.
Hey Stevie, maybe you aren't blind after all - just so full of s*** you can't see.

ONE NFL player raised more by himself than the whole TV crap-hour. an HE was out there actually helping, not just telling everyone else what to do, like the Holly-wired Music freeloaders were doing. Hey Stevie, you ever filled a sand bag?

barahona44
09-16-2017, 11:31 AM
My wife and I bought a house in Florida back in April.Is it too late to get our money back?:D

Marshall Bennett
09-16-2017, 12:15 PM
ONE NFL player raised more by himself than the whole TV crap-hour. an HE was out there actually helping, not just telling everyone else what to do, like the Holly-wired Music freeloaders were doing.
Much of what the flashy liberals raised will never get to the people that need it either. It never does. On the other hand, J.J. Watt is personally following the donations to insure that's exactly where it goes. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
09-16-2017, 01:07 PM
Glad for you too, boxcar.:ThmbUp:

Somehow, I had a vision in my mind of you parting the storm surge!

Thanks, Tom. Glad the experience is behind me. :)

Ocala Mike
09-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Glad you are OK, Mike!

BTW, love your new shoes! ;)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Ocala Mike
09-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Had a very small amount of damage to the farm; maybe $1,000 or so for tree service, fence repair, and debris removal. Filed with Foremost Insurance Co. and FEMA, and guess what?

Based on my telephone report of damage to FEMA, they deposited $820 in my bank account today without asking me for any estimates/bills/damage appraisals, etc. I"M IMPRESSED!

Insurance adjuster coming on Wednesday; probably won't clear my $500 deductible, as they coordinate with FEMA I hear.

JustRalph
09-25-2017, 05:28 PM
FEMA money has hit Houston, everybody is rich. It’s bringing out some interesting customers

One of our employees was notified he will be receiving an 18k grant.

He owns 5 acres in the country with three mobile homes that filled with water. He was offered the choice of a 30k loan at .09 interest or the 18k. He took the free money.

Ocala Mike
09-25-2017, 08:20 PM
Smart move by him! I've heard from other people near me that say they also received $820. Must have been the allowance for the county or something.

They will mail me a statement someday, so I'll see what's going on.

Ocala Mike
10-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Of interest - A tree service crew from Kentucky came down my street tonight to remove dead branches/limbs from trees overhanging the roadway post-Irma. I asked the crew leader what was going on, and he said that Marion County, FL had FEMA money to throw around for hurricane cleanup, so they contracted with out of state people.

So TX and FL (red states) got taken care of; jury's still out on PR.

Clocker
10-03-2017, 08:35 PM

A big problem with PR is that folks like the tree crew can't drive down there with people and equipment and help out, paid or otherwise.

Another problem down there appears to be getting whatever supplies that are coming in off the docks and to the people. One story I saw said that only about 20% of the semi drivers for the trucking companies have shown up. I'd guess the roads aren't in real good shape either.

ElKabong
10-03-2017, 08:35 PM
I'm glad you're being taken care of, mike. Forget the red and blue for just a moment and be thankful for the help. If you were in New York you'd be assisted as well I'm sure.

Continued good recovery to you sir

incoming
10-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Of interest - A tree service crew from Kentucky came down my street tonight to remove dead branches/limbs from trees overhanging the roadway post-Irma. I asked the crew leader what was going on, and he said that Marion County, FL had FEMA money to throw around for hurricane cleanup, so they contracted with out of state people.

Chris Wallace, on Fox News Sunday interviewed the FEMA director in charge of taking care of the storm damages. He is the first person interviewed. He talked pacifically about Porto Rico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=op3q1r_DGW4