PDA

View Full Version : Voodoo Song, Short Running Back Time

RacingFan1992
09-03-2017, 01:22 PM
I watched the Saranac Stakes and saw Voodoo King run and win with only an eleven day layoff which is cool but I went through his past performances and saw he ran back after a month which is no big deal but then after his first race he was ran back only four days later. Sure it was in allowance claiming company and nothing like the old Derby Trial on a Tuesday and Kentucky Derby on Saturday competition. He's four for four at Saratoga. Congrats to Linda Rice, Ben Jones would be proud.

GMB@BP
09-03-2017, 01:25 PM
I watched the Saranac Stakes and saw Voodoo King run and win with only an eleven day layoff which is cool but I went through his past performances and saw he ran back after a month which is no big deal but then after his first race he was ran back only four days later. Sure it was in allowance claiming company and nothing like the old Derby Trial on a Tuesday and Kentucky Derby on Saturday competition. He's four for four at Saratoga. Congrats to Linda Rice, Ben Jones would be proud.

really feel like we all been bamboozled with this running 1 time every 2-3 months. its ruined a lot of things about the game and has helped in racings decline.

cj
09-03-2017, 01:36 PM
really feel like we all been bamboozled with this running 1 time every 2-3 months. its ruined a lot of things about the game and has helped in racings decline.

I think it is a combination. We've been bamboozled to some extent, but also it is easier to run on grass than on dirt.

GMB@BP
09-03-2017, 02:13 PM
I think it is a combination. We've been bamboozled to some extent, but also it is easier to run on grass than on dirt.

That is true just making a comment...does collected and arrogate really need to not run the rest of the year.

Some horses can only make one start at del mar or saratoga because they need 8 weeks to recover. Its a joke.

Secondbest
09-03-2017, 02:29 PM
Maybe it's apples and oranges but how come in the Olympics they run or swim between races heats etc multiple times but a horse whose much bigger and stronger needs 2 months or more months between races?

cj
09-03-2017, 03:05 PM
That is true just making a comment...does collected and arrogate really need to not run the rest of the year.

Some horses can only make one start at del mar or saratoga because they need 8 weeks to recover. Its a joke.

Of course it is a joke. I think we've gotten to the point where most of the purses aren't enough to entice these guys to run more.

thaskalos
09-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Of course it is a joke. I think we've gotten to the point where most of the purses aren't enough to entice these guys to run more.

Added weight seems to be the one thing that these trainers are most sensitive about. What if a new rule was enacted, whereby an additional 5 pounds would be added to the horse's saddle for every week past 2 weeks that the horse rests in-between starts...assuming, of course, that no injury has occurred in the meantime?

And an additional 10 pounds would be added to the horse who was scratched from his prior start, without a valid reason.

Tom
09-03-2017, 03:44 PM
Maybe it's apples and oranges but how come in the Olympics they run or swim between races heats etc multiple times but a horse whose much bigger and stronger needs 2 months or more months between races?

Maybe they aren't all doped up in the Olympics?

n.c
09-03-2017, 06:13 PM
$1000, they will probably run every other day, but if it is $500,000, it is little different.

CincyHorseplayer
09-03-2017, 06:27 PM
I didn't have the stones to bet this one to win as I had 3 in the pick 4 in this race but what a feat to accomplish! I saw that 4 day return in the PP's and was impressed also. Bricks and Mortar I felt was such a beast he would run this one down. Right turf courses at the right time for this one! Cool to see the connections take advantage of the opportunity. What a horse to do it though.

castaway01
09-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Maybe they aren't all doped up in the Olympics?

Now THAT is funny.

burnsy
09-03-2017, 07:29 PM
I don't see why there is all the skeptics and controversy over this horse. Like the people managing the horse can't see he's feeling good and has the "home track" in his favor. Speed has been good on these grass courses for most of the meet. Like trainers and jockeys can't figure this out too.

Once one looked past Bricks And Mortar and Yoshida, he's third most likely winner of that race IMO. At 6-1, with 3 wins (this meet already), the same style each time. He had to step up but he was the third most accomplished horse in that race. People make it sound like Mine That Bird at 50-1 in the derby. People still don't see that giving up "lengths" early and taking back on the grass, was a losing move, more times than not this meet. That put this horse on the "fast track" towards winning. Unless there's a contested speed duel in most of those races, the front runners and stalkers have had a huge advantage over the closers. That horse was literally waiting on horses to come at him yesterday.

CincyHorseplayer
09-03-2017, 07:51 PM
I don't see why there is all the skeptics and controversy over this horse. Like the people managing the horse can't see he's feeling good and has the "home track" in his favor. Speed has been good on these grass courses for most of the meet. Like trainers and jockeys can't figure this out too.

Once one looked past Bricks And Mortar and Yoshida, he's third most likely winner of that race IMO. At 6-1, with 3 wins (this meet already), the same style each time. He had to step up but he was the third most accomplished horse in that race. People make it sound like Mine That Bird at 50-1 in the derby. People still don't see that giving up "lengths" early and taking back on the grass, was a losing move, more times than not this meet. That put this horse on the "fast track" towards winning. Unless there's a contested speed duel in most of those races, the front runners and stalkers have had a huge advantage over the closers. That horse was literally waiting on horses to come at him yesterday.

Good post burnsy.:ThmbUp:

JustRalph
09-03-2017, 08:06 PM
I was cheering for this horse. I thought he was toast when the field starting running him down. When he re-broke I cheered. You don't see that very often