PDA

View Full Version : My favorite boxer of all time was...

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-01-2017, 07:05 PM
...not the best boxer of all time. Not even close.

But a boxer who put on a show every time. His record was a more than respectable 45-7-1. But every fight was a war.

Cornelius Boza Edwards.

He retired in 1987.

His fight with Bobby Chacon was Ring Magazine's fight of the year in 1983. Chacon and Edwards were two real warriors. Edwards had beaten him before. But what happened here.

If you love boxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAz5p9bPuII

The only fight he was in that was not a war was his WBC Lightweight Championship fight with Hector Camacho towards the end of Edwards' career. Camacho thought had a push over with this old man, and learned early in the fight that if he mixed it up with Edwards, he was going to get really hurt.

So Camacho ran from him the rest of this boring fight -- and they gave the fight to Camacho. I thought Camacho embarrassed himself.

Anyway, if you are out there Boza. Still love ya, man. You da man.

jimmyb
09-01-2017, 07:13 PM
Marvelous Marvin Hagler

ronsmac
09-01-2017, 07:27 PM
...not the best boxer of all time. Not even close.

But a boxer who put on a show every time. His record was a more than respectable 45-7-1. But every fight was a war.

Cornelius Boza Edwards.

He retired in 1987.

His fight with Bobby Chacon was Ring Magazine's fight of the year in 1983. Chacon and Edwards were two real warriors. Edwards had beaten him before. But what happened here.

If you love boxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAz5p9bPuII

The only fight he was in that was not a war was his WBC Lightweight Championship fight with Hector Camacho towards the end of Edwards' career. Camacho thought had a push over with this old man, and learned early in the fight that if he mixed it up with Edwards, he was going to get really hurt.

So Camacho ran from him the rest of this boring fight -- and they gave the fight to Camacho. I thought Camacho embarrassed himself.

Anyway, if you are out there Boza. Still love ya, man. You da man.I saw that fight and pretty much every fight that came on cbs, nbc or abc during the late 70s to mid 80s. I had so many favorite fighters that i couldn't name just one.

exactatom
09-01-2017, 07:32 PM
Marvin Hagler without a doubt was my favorite fighter. The fight with Hearns is the best fight ever.

reckless
09-01-2017, 09:17 PM
The best fighter I ever saw was Cassius Clay; the 2nd best was Muhammad Ali.

horses4courses
09-01-2017, 09:59 PM
The best fighter I ever saw was Cassius Clay; the 2nd best was Muhammad Ali.

Pray tell, how would you differentiate between the two?
I'm all ears........:rolleyes:

MutuelClerk
09-01-2017, 10:36 PM
When Clay hit you he sliced your faced. When you fought Ali he got by on talent, moxie, and will.

cj
09-01-2017, 10:40 PM
Sugar Ray Leonard. Went to his first pro fight at the Baltimore Civic Center with my Dad and brother. Was a fan already after the great Olympic showing by Team USA, stayed that way.

Was in Birmingham for the Alabama Derby when he beat Hagler, saw it on closed circuit...remember those days for watching fights?

ReplayRandall
09-01-2017, 10:43 PM
Pound for pound, with an unmatched streak of 26 straight KO's, best ever was Aaron Pryor.....Threw more punches in a fight than anyone ever.

Whosonfirst
09-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Rocky Marciano, in case some have forgotten, or never heard of him.

Zaf
09-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Mike Tyson in his prime. A Killer !

Z

woodbinepmi
09-01-2017, 11:32 PM
I have never had a favourite fighter, but have favourite fights. Of course everybody remembers Hagler v. Hearns, but if have never seen Arturo Gatti v Micky Ward I fight. WATCH IT! Especially the 9th and 10th rounds, all they do is beat the hell out of each other and keep coming back for more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZGJumEPhAc

Inner Dirt
09-02-2017, 12:37 AM
Ken Norton, mostly because I met him, sat at a bar and had drinks with him, and were one of the few let in to watch him train at the time. My connection was that I saw him enter an apartment of a woman I knew while I was using a BBQ grille in the pool area. His very next fight, that was 1979 he was knocked out in the first round by Earnie Shavers.

He was out in Hemet, California mostly known for it's high amount of retirees at the time when I met him as his handlers wanted him away from the city night life. He was still able to find bars with women and booze out there. I burned the candle at both end those days myself but I wasn't training to fight Earnie Shavers. I would see Norton out till 1 am having cocktails and chasing women, but I would still drive past him the next day doing road work at 7:30 am on the way to school.

Inner Dirt
09-02-2017, 12:45 AM

Wasn't that typical of a Camacho fight? I hated that guy with a passion.

Marshall Bennett
09-02-2017, 07:15 AM
Sonny Liston.
No nonsense...get the job done...go home.
Loved the way he stared at opponent before opening bell. Head tilted and looking up, no emotion.

Lemon Drop Husker
09-02-2017, 09:03 AM
Marvin Hagler without a doubt was my favorite fighter. The fight with Hearns is the best fight ever.

Great call.

I have to go with Arturo Gatti. Guy never had a boring fight. Threw bombs full time, and never backed down. :rip:

Tom
09-02-2017, 06:59 PM
Chuck Wepner, the Bayone Bleeder.

Dahoss2002
09-03-2017, 04:46 AM
Roberto Duran.

PhantomOnTour
09-03-2017, 11:04 AM
Julio Cesar Chavez
Livingstone Bramble
Aaron Pryor
Rocky Lockridge
Alexis Arguello

can't settle on just one....if I could only choose one it would be Bramble

thaskalos
09-03-2017, 11:38 AM
1.) Julio Cesar Chavez
2.) Alexis Arguello
3.) Teofilo Stevenson

cj
09-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Speaking of boxing, unlike the PPV last month, really looking forward to Canelo and GGG. I haven't rented a fight in decades, but I might rent that one.

olddaddy
09-03-2017, 01:20 PM
Marvis Frazier

His only two losses were against greats, Holmes and Tyson.

I meet him once and he was a genuinely nice guy and a good son.

He knew when to get out of the game.

Robert Fischer
09-03-2017, 01:46 PM
Ali is one of my favorites.
Nice technical breakdown of Ali-Forman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_JW3wnrik

Robert Fischer
09-03-2017, 01:54 PM
“When two men are fighting, what you’re watching is more a contest of wills than of skills, with the stronger will usually overcoming skill. The skill will prevail only when it is so superior to the other man’s skill that the will is not tested….
At times as you see a fellow get tired in the course of a fight, note that he gets tired when pressure builds up, after he gets hurt or he’s been in some kind of doubtful situation, not being able to control the situation. That’s when he starts getting tired. That’s why when two good fighters get to fight, they’re head to head, so to speak, they won’t give an inch and they’re using all their skills and ability, until maybe about the seventh or eight or ninth round, one fighter start to visibly weaken. It only means he’s reached a point where he no longer can stand the pressure. He’s now become dominated, because when two people fight it’s very much like two armies. They seek to impose their will on one another.” - Cus D'Amato

CincyHorseplayer
09-03-2017, 01:57 PM
Regardless of if my knowledge of him was only through old VHS tapes, books, and articles, Sugar Ray Robinson. 173 wins-19 losses-6 draws-2 no contests-108 KO's.

jimmyb
09-03-2017, 02:02 PM
Ron Lyle Vs George Foreman 1976. Haymaker fight of the century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgJYp4D6l0U

CincyHorseplayer
09-03-2017, 02:12 PM
Julio Cesar Chavez
Livingstone Bramble
Aaron Pryor
Rocky Lockridge
Alexis Arguello

can't settle on just one....if I could only choose one it would be Bramble

My uncles told me everyone avoided Pryor. But we might have a Cincinnati bias! I remember some of his fights and he was vicious. Met him at Findlay street gym years ago. My uncle Bob has an autographed pic of him when he met him in a bar.

Marshall Bennett
09-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Ron Lyle Vs George Foreman 1976. Haymaker fight of the century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgJYp4D6l0U
Best fight I've ever watched. Both absorbed a huge amount of punishment, but just wouldn't give up. Neither fighter was ever the same again, before Foreman returned in later years.

jocko699
09-03-2017, 06:33 PM
Roberto Duran

Track Collector
09-03-2017, 09:32 PM
Marvin Hagler without a doubt was my favorite fighter.

Mine also.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Got to WATCH the Mayweather fight on Showtime last night. Congratulations to Mayweather for making it look like it was competitive so the people who paid a lot to watch the "fight" would not complain.

cj
09-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Got to WATCH the Mayweather fight on Showtime last night. Congratulations to Mayweather for making it look like it was competitive so the people who paid a lot to watch the "fight" would not complain.

That fight in a nutshell.

n.c
09-04-2017, 11:16 AM
he was 1 out of 19 childern..no wonder he was tough

Watching that fight, i am 100% sure that i would have dead, every time Foreman punched, or Lyle punched..that would mean that i would have died 1000 times..no way i survive 1 punch:headbanger:

Duran was the sparring partner for Rocky Balboa.

reckless
09-06-2017, 05:23 PM
he was 1 out of 19 childern..no wonder he was tough

Watching that fight, i am 100% sure that i would have dead, every time Foreman punched, or Lyle punched..that would mean that i would have died 1000 times..no way i survive 1 punch:headbanger:

Duran was the sparring partner for Rocky Balboa.

You're saying it would be just a 2-hit fight:

Lyle/Foreman hits you, and you hit the floor. :)

RichieP
09-06-2017, 06:02 PM

+:1:

DSB
09-06-2017, 08:24 PM
I was always partial to Floyd Patterson.

I watched the fight he had with Jimmy Ellis for the championship that was vacant after Ali was stripped of the title, and I felt for sure that he was robbed in that decision.

He had Ellis at his mercy late in the fight and his corner was yelling "knock him out! Knock him out!"

Floyd was sure he had the fight on points, though, and refused to finish his helpless opponent off.

That cost him his third heavyweight championship - he would have been the only fighter in that class to do that at the time - when the judges inexplicably gave the fight to Ellis.

I think what made me like Patterson was far more than his boxing ability. He always seemed like a classy, modest, gentleman out of the ring - an aura lost on most of those in his profession.

betovernetcapper
09-06-2017, 09:55 PM
I remember & am surprised he wasn't mentioned earlier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sD5uOEpV3zE

cj
09-07-2017, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv7mO41bbPg

ElKabong
09-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Floyd Patterson, for the gentleman and athlete he was as described above

Joe Frazier for his raw power and guts. He beat Ali when they were both closer to their prime. All 3 fights were great but neither were as good as they were after 1971...imo

Marshall Bennett
09-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Patterson might have been the greatest fighter ever had he weighed more and hadn't had a glass jaw.

DSB
09-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Patterson might have been the greatest fighter ever had he weighed more and hadn't had a glass jaw.

Yeah, those were the knocks against him. He had a way of running into right hands which shut out the lights.

It was painful to watch such a good guy get such a raw deal as he did vs. Ellis.

kingfin66
09-07-2017, 08:13 PM
Ken Norton, mostly because I met him, sat at a bar and had drinks with him, and were one of the few let in to watch him train at the time. My connection was that I saw him enter an apartment of a woman I knew while I was using a BBQ grille in the pool area. His very next fight, that was 1979 he was knocked out in the first round by Earnie Shavers.

He was out in Hemet, California mostly known for it's high amount of retirees at the time when I met him as his handlers wanted him away from the city night life. He was still able to find bars with women and booze out there. I burned the candle at both end those days myself but I wasn't training to fight Earnie Shavers. I would see Norton out till 1 am having cocktails and chasing women, but I would still drive past him the next day doing road work at 7:30 am on the way to school.

That is an awesome story. Ken Norton is my favorite boxer of all time as well. My dad was in the Marine Corps with Kenny as he called him. They met when they attended radio school. My dad said that he was absolutely his best friend when they were in the Corps and that bowled together weekly. My dad has told me a story of him being required to spar against Norton. The reasons were twofold: (1) Norton was going through sparring partners at an alarming rate and (2) my dad had slipped on his PT and was carrying a few pounds too many. He said the session was very brief and he got worked over well. By the way, my dad said that when he was in the Corps he was 5'8 3/4" and at that point had "ballooned" to 165 lbs.

My parents have said that Ken was one of the most genuinely nice people that they have ever met. My dad had always hoped to reconnect with him.

Johnny V
09-08-2017, 07:56 AM
I am kind of partial to the boxers of the 1960's. Emile Griffith, the welterweight and middleweight champion and Muhammad Ali immediately come to mind. Those two were fighting champions, ducking no one and defending the title very often.

Aslo boxers like:
Joey Archer
Carlos Ortiz
Luis Rodgriguez
Wille Pastrano
Zoa Folley
among other well schooled boxers who knew their trade well, fought often and could box a guys ears off. The fact that many of their fights were on TV regularly also made them more known to the public. The contenders fought each other often, not like today when they just avoid each other being afraid to put their so called perfect records on the line.

Inner Dirt
09-08-2017, 08:39 AM
That is an awesome story. Ken Norton is my favorite boxer of all time as well. My dad was in the Marine Corps with Kenny as he called him. They met when they attended radio school. My dad said that he was absolutely his best friend when they were in the Corps and that bowled together weekly. My dad has told me a story of him being required to spar against Norton. The reasons were twofold: (1) Norton was going through sparring partners at an alarming rate and (2) my dad had slipped on his PT and was carrying a few pounds too many. He said the session was very brief and he got worked over well. By the way, my dad said that when he was in the Corps he was 5'8 3/4" and at that point had "ballooned" to 165 lbs.

My parents have said that Ken was one of the most genuinely nice people that they have ever met. My dad had always hoped to reconnect with him.

Your dad was a bad ass if he got in there with Norton especially at his size. When I met Norton I was 6'0" 220 pounds and solid as rock playing college football. I was 18 and had been dabbling in amateur boxing since the age of 14. Norton had hands the size of baseball mitts, he looked like one of those Greek statues. To see him on television did not do the guy justice he was an imposing figure. I felt like a little boy standing next to him. Watching him train with his speed and power you could not pay me enough to get in there with that guy. A half dozen years later I was at Larry Holmes camp watching him train for his fight with Spinks. I was not impressed, Holmes did not scare me one bit, I would have sparred with him for free.

kingfin66
09-08-2017, 10:00 AM
LOL. I think that my dad thought he was a bad ass and found out otherwise. Well, I guess my dad was kind of a bad ass, but Norton worked him. He said it was surprising how fast he was; much faster than my dad, who was actually considered to be very fast in his misspent youth. Norton was a great athlete period. He actually came to the Corps to play football.

Inner Dirt
09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
LOL. I think that my dad thought he was a bad ass and found out otherwise. Well, I guess my dad was kind of a bad ass, but Norton worked him. He said it was surprising how fast he was; much faster than my dad, who was actually considered to be very fast in his misspent youth. Norton was a great athlete period. He actually came to the Corps to play football.

The fact he got in there with Norton makes him a bad ass. I have done a lot of things in my life that showed bravery, had a good amateur boxing record and had the strength of 3 average men at the time. I wanted no part of Ken Norton after watching him train. I think watching him made me realize my boxing would never be more than a hobby, my dreams crushed at 18. A guy with Norton's speed is not supposed to have the kind of power he had.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-09-2017, 08:56 AM
I was always partial to Floyd Patterson.

I watched the fight he had with Jimmy Ellis for the championship that was vacant after Ali was stripped of the title, and I felt for sure that he was robbed in that decision.

He had Ellis at his mercy late in the fight and his corner was yelling "knock him out! Knock him out!"

Floyd was sure he had the fight on points, though, and refused to finish his helpless opponent off.

That cost him his third heavyweight championship - he would have been the only fighter in that class to do that at the time - when the judges inexplicably gave the fight to Ellis.

I think what made me like Patterson was far more than his boxing ability. He always seemed like a classy, modest, gentleman out of the ring - an aura lost on most of those in his profession.

I agree with your opinion of Patterson as a person. In fact, his nickname was The Gentleman of Boxing.

But I was not much of a fan of his place in the boxing world. He was the light heavyweight gold medal winner in the '52 Olympics, and would have had a more memorable career in that class. "They" roadmapped his route to the heavyweight championship with some rather easy bouts. An elimination series was created after Marciano died, and the competition was "suspect" to say the least. He beat a very old Archie Moore to win the title.

The fighters he fought and defeated to defend his title (Hurricane Jackson, Pete Rademacher, Roy Harris, and Brian London) were not highly ranked. He showed a lot of guts in his fights with Johannsen, but IMO, Ingemar was not that much.

Anyway, I got to meet his adopted son, Tracy Patterson at an autograph session and Floyd raised him right.

MutuelClerk
09-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Ali considered Floyd Patterson Uncle Tom and really punished him.

jimmyb
09-09-2017, 09:39 AM

According to this writer, the Uncle Tom thing was to play the fight up so they could sell more. Ali and Patterson were actually friends.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/37158310/the-real-story-behind-the-1965-muhammad-ali-floyd-patterson-fight

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Yes, all because Patterson refused to call him Ali and kept calling him Clay.

I believe Ali realized too late that he had gotten involved with bad people and he feared for his life if he went against them.

Marshall Bennett
09-09-2017, 12:03 PM
According to this writer, the Uncle Tom thing was to play the fight up so they could sell more. Ali and Patterson were actually friends.
Ali punished him for 12 rounds and taunted him throughout the fight, when he could have taken him out quite early.
Patterson actually went on after that fight to have a successful career in boxing, only losing decisions to Quarry, Ellis and again Ali in his last fight.
He was an average heavyweight champion imo.

biggestal99
09-10-2017, 11:16 AM
Jack Johnson-tremendous heavyweight who fought defensively and tired out his opponents. He was a thinking fighter when everyone else was a bruiser.

Allan

dav4463
09-11-2017, 02:39 AM
George Foreman

cj
09-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Last night shows why boxing will never regain prominence. It is simply too corrupt.

CincyHorseplayer
09-17-2017, 01:13 PM
Last night shows why boxing will never regain prominence. It is simply too corrupt.

The one judge had it 118-110 to Alvarez was unreal! I had GGG winning by a slim margin. Great fight. Better than that BS fiasco a few weeks ago. But the decision WTF? We already know there is going to be a rematch after that awesome brawl, don't bring politics into it by creating unnecessary unrest. It's just bad business.

Anyway we got our money's worth last night. Pretty awesome brother! THat was fun. Been a while!

ronsmac
09-17-2017, 01:48 PM
It's weird that fans don't prefer open scoring. Every time it was tried it was met with disapproval. Boxing and MMA may be the only sports where we don't know the score as the event is happening. This is only the 200th or 300th bad decision I've seen in my lifetime.

Jess Hawsen Arown
09-18-2017, 02:23 PM
It's weird that fans don't prefer open scoring. Every time it was tried it was met with disapproval. Boxing and MMA may be the only sports where we don't know the score as the event is happening. This is only the 200th or 300th bad decision I've seen in my lifetime.

How do we know that fans don't prefer it. I have seen it tried in boxing before, but I can think of other reasons for them stopping it. More than likely, they think that if a boxing match is clearly over because of the scoring early in the fight, people will stop watching.

Maybe there are other business reasons. Maybe they simply like the suspense of reading of the scores. Don't know. Just speculating.