08-25-2017, 01:36 PM
No, not this guy..

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51ru5sI4PlL._SX466_.jpg

THIS guy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC1rfGGT54o

To all those in his path, stay safe! :ThmbUp:

rastajenk
08-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Always have to take notice when they mention rainfall totals in feet.

barahona44
08-25-2017, 01:47 PM
Expected to be the strongest hurricane to hit Texas since Bret in 1999.Latest projection is for it to make landfall on the central Texas coast , closest large city is Corpus Christi. Strong possibility of record rainfall.

As Dan said, to all of out PA friends in the Lone Star State, keep safe

Marshall Bennett
08-25-2017, 06:06 PM
Projected to make landfall, go inland a bit, then backup and linger around coast for a few days dumping rain before moving towards Galveston still a category 1 storm. If this indeed plays out, would be a disaster of epic proportion.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Many friends and co-workers in those areas.

Godspeed my friends.

Texted and communicated with a few. Safe thus far.

I'm more worried than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. :(

Mulerider
08-26-2017, 02:33 AM
Somebody has to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC5H9P4F5Uk

ElKabong
08-26-2017, 03:36 AM
House full of in laws from Houston & east Texas late tonight. Waiting for one more to drive in. Fingers crossed on not as much rain down there as they predicted. Already some talk on the weather channel that it will be slightly better than anticipated.

JustRalph
08-26-2017, 10:12 AM
I'm guessing 6-8 inches since 3a

Still pouring. I drove my Tundra through the deepest water I've ever tried (2.5 feet) and it got it done pretty well. I figure the same spot will be 3.5-4 ft later today. If this last 2-3 days......oh my......no water near my house but I live in a newer sub division with good drainage, so far. We've had huge rain before, but this will be the real test I'm sure

Tom
08-26-2017, 10:22 AM
Thinking about you last night while I was watching the Weather Channel.
Keep your powder dry. :ThmbUp:

boxcar
08-26-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm guessing 6-8 inches since 3a

Still pouring. I drove my Tundra through the deepest water I've ever tried (2.5 feet) and it got it done pretty well. I figure the same spot will be 3.5-4 ft later today. If this last 2-3 days......oh my......no water near my house but I live in a newer sub division with good drainage, so far. We've had huge rain before, but this will be the real test I'm sure

I'll take a fast moving, windy hurricane any day over a slow moving, wet one.

Stay safe and keep on your toes.

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Lots of bad bad stuff in Houston.

Wife and I are fine. Power is on, yards are seriously flooded and high water has me stuck in my sub division. The wife is cooking and we are relaxing. Some terrible stuff happening in the city though. Lots of people upset with Mayor.

boxcar
08-27-2017, 01:46 PM
Lots of bad bad stuff in Houston.

Wife and I are fine. Power is on, yards are seriously flooded and high water has me stuck in my sub division. The wife is cooking and we are relaxing. Some terrible stuff happening in the city though. Lots of people upset with Mayor.

Why are they upset at the mayor?

jms62
08-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Why are they upset at the mayor?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Houston+mayor

rastajenk
08-27-2017, 02:13 PM
How do you evacuate 5 million people? Seems to me putting them all on the road to somewhere would be worse than doing nothing.

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2017, 03:10 PM
I hope those from our little corner of the web who were in the path of this storm were able to somehow come out of it relatively unscathed thus far...and I know it's not over yet in terms of the flooding...

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 03:46 PM
How do you evacuate 5 million people? Seems to me putting them all on the road to somewhere would be worse than doing nothing.

Not if you do it over 3-4 days.......but of course then the hurricane turns left and you look like a dumbass

ElKabong
08-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Not if you do it over 3-4 days.......but of course then the hurricane turns left and you look like a dumbass

In laws from Spring and The Woodlands came up here after work Friday. They said the traffic wasn't that bad. I hear on Saturday the traffic was thick coming up though.

People in The Woodlands (maybe thirty minutes south of you?) said their area is draining fine for now. Hope it holds up over time.

The late comers (in laws) from near nacaogdoches / Lufkin said it took five and a half hours to get here Friday night. They left at 10pm or so, were caught in some traffic.

Hoping for the best for you.

boxcar
08-27-2017, 05:10 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Houston+mayor

Thanks for the effort but the link doesn't work for me. It takes me to a Google page.

ElKabong
08-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Thanks for the effort but the link doesn't work for me. It takes me to a Google page.

Since you're moving slowly today... :)

The Houston mayor didn't urge an evacuation, almost to the contrary actually. He will take a lot of heat for the notice.

ElKabong
08-27-2017, 05:40 PM

If you can get out, I hope you do...The in laws from your area that are staying with us had planned to go back home tomorrow night, but now it looks like the hurricane is set to go back out in the gulf tonight.... And make landfall around the Houston area tomorrow. Houston is about to get an unprecedented amount of rain for that area, per weather channel, foxnews, CNN. Worst case scenario.

boxcar
08-27-2017, 05:52 PM
Since you're moving slowly today... :)

The Houston mayor didn't urge an evacuation, almost to the contrary actually. He will take a lot of heat for the notice.

Yes, my faster-on-the-draw better half was telling me the same thing about 30 minutes ago. His excuse, apparently, was that things would be a lot worse if people evacuated. Whatever the heck that means... Worried about looting, maybe?

Tom
08-27-2017, 06:32 PM
"SCHOOLBUS" Ray Nagin back in politics?

Mulerider
08-27-2017, 09:55 PM
The late comers (in laws) from near nacaogdoches / Lufkin said it took five and a half hours to get here Friday night. They left at 10pm or so, were caught in some traffic.

Hoping for the best for you.

I live about 200 miles north of Houston in Longview. Our motels started filling up late Friday night and early yesterday with evacuees.

It looks like the rain won't reach us until Wednesday if the storm stays stationary.

Mule

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 10:14 PM
The Woodlands is 20 miles due west of me.

We are fine still. Our power is on, the wife is cooking up a storm, we are just hunkered down. This sub division has great drainage, but I'm blocked into it by 3.5 feet of water at the entrance. We have a neighbor with a "mud runner" kind of Dune buggy had a baby with a monster truck. He's running people to the main roads where they are getting picked up. He's prioritizing Police and medical first. We have several cops and nurses living here.

I don't have words to describe how much water has fallen. I don't have plans to leave. I guess I could if I had too. I left one of my cars parked outside the sub division.

So far, so good.

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 10:29 PM
If you've ever been to Gallery Furniture, you know what a gesture this is.......

"Mattress Mack steps up.

Gallery Furniture North Freeway and Gallery Furniture Grand Parkway are now open as shelters for anyone who is in need.

We have food, beds and clean restrooms for anyone in need who comes to those locations. Kenneled animals who must stay in kennel and at owners side are welcome.

Gallery Furniture North Freeway: 6006 North Freeway, Houston, TX 77076.

Gallery Furniture Grand Parkway: 7227 West Grand Parkway South, Richmond, TX 77407.

Stay safe, God bless you and your family and may God bless Texas."

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 10:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRcjiKawJTI&feature=em-upload_owner

The shallow end. The other end is 44 inches deep

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 11:03 PM
https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/901999263151947777

NJ Stinks
08-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Projected to make landfall, go inland a bit, then backup and linger around coast for a few days dumping rain before moving towards Galveston still a category 1 storm. If this indeed plays out, would be a disaster of epic proportion.

Marshall, it's been a couple days since we have heard from you. Hope all is well with you and yours.

JustRalph
08-27-2017, 11:29 PM
https://twitter.com/MattressMack/status/901969638694600705

ElKabong
08-28-2017, 12:03 AM
https://twitter.com/MattressMack/status/901969638694600705

James Mc is the real deal. A true tea party member, very conservative politically yet very liberal in his giving to his community ( GW Bush, to the bone). For those not familiar with him, Check out mcinvale's past on line. As good as it gets.... had some interesting exchanges with trainers back in the day, but an overall good MF'er.

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2017, 08:52 AM
Marshall, it's been a couple days since we have heard from you. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Thanks NJ, I'm fine. Been on phone a lot with family and friends that aren't doing as well. Unbelievable the numbers of people in Harris county trapped and can't drive anywhere. I'm on Lake Livingston about 80 miles north and only concern is the lake filling. Discharge at dam is at about 75%. We're looking at 3 more days of similar rainfall. If the storm stays stationary and feeder bands continue, this could be a historic disaster for SE Texas.
Hope everyone else here is safe and prayers for those less fortunate than myself.

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-28-2017, 09:03 AM
James Mc is the real deal. A true tea party member, very conservative politically yet very liberal in his giving to his community ( GW Bush, to the bone). For those not familiar with him, Check out mcinvale's past on line. As good as it gets.... had some interesting exchanges with trainers back in the day, but an overall good MF'er.

I just heard on my local TV station that the Democrats in charge of Houston were mocking the Republican governor BEFORE Harvey hit because he was pressing for evacuation.

ex-Texas Governor Rick Perry was being questioned about the Democratic Houston Mayor making this a political issue, and Perry took the high ground (no pun intended) saying that this is not the time and refused to engage.

FantasticDan
08-28-2017, 11:51 AM
I just heard on my local TV station that the Democrats in charge of Houston were mocking the Republican governor BEFORE Harvey hit because he was pressing for evacuation.
Do you ever stop with the nonsense? A couple days before the rains started, Gov Abbott suggested people in low-lying areas think about evacuating.

In response, local officials (including the republican judge who is the county exec. and director of emergency management) discouraged that message, knowing that not only was it inadvisable, but any sort of mass evacuation was logistically impossible at that point and would have only compounded problems.

There was no "mocking". :bang:

EDIT to add, the aforementioned judge and local officials explaining why there wasn't a mandatory evac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU-9ZG7_SqI

Nutz and Boltz
08-28-2017, 12:49 PM
Does every thread have to become political in content ?! :faint:

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2017, 01:09 PM
Mass evacuation was attempted before Rita hit (2005) and it failed miserably. Dozens died in their cars when they ran out of gas, had little food or water, and it was also hot as hell. I'd ride out any natural disaster before taking that approach. Granted, if its a coordinated effort with 3 days to carry out the evacuation, results would be better. Realistically however, few are willing to leave their homes till they absolutely have to. Then its too late.

JustRalph
08-28-2017, 01:38 PM
Meanwhile.....my power just went out

Clocker
08-28-2017, 02:04 PM
I am seeing speculation about possible upcoming gas shortages because of refineries in the area being shut down. Anyone have some actual facts about the situation?

Clocker
08-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Meanwhile.....my power just went out
I trust you had the foresight to prepare for such a disaster by icing down the beer. :eek:

garyscpa
08-28-2017, 02:56 PM
Taken from my front yard yesterday.

incoming
08-28-2017, 03:11 PM
I am seeing speculation about possible upcoming gas shortages because of refineries in the area being shut down. Anyone have some actual facts about the situation?

Cris Wallace interviewed the Texas governor and SOS on this very issue on his Sunday show yesterday. Tillerson speaks about the 12 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYKopeCV5lI

JustRalph
08-28-2017, 03:21 PM
My power is back

Hang in there Gary 👍

garyscpa
08-28-2017, 03:24 PM
My power is back

Hang in there Gary 👍

Yep, not flooded yet. If we make it through the night I think we're alright. In Friendswood.

garyscpa
08-28-2017, 03:26 PM
My power is back

Hang in there Gary 👍

Yeah, I was out fishing in the street. Lucky he didn't check my fishing license. :)

Saratoga_Mike
08-28-2017, 04:49 PM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gasoline-prices-surge-after-hurricane-harvey-1503911874

Marshall Bennett
08-28-2017, 04:55 PM
In major flooding, everything imaginable is lifted from the ground and becomes a potential floating nightmare. Good rule of thumb is if you must wade into it, try not to have on shorts and keep hands away from mouth. There are particular areas of Houston I'd avoid it like the plague....UGH!!

JustRalph
08-28-2017, 09:37 PM
In major flooding, everything imaginable is lifted from the ground and becomes a potential floating nightmare. Good rule of thumb is if you must wade into it, try not to have on shorts and keep hands away from mouth. There are particular areas of Houston I'd avoid it like the plague....UGH!!

Went out today to check on our business. Some of the water I had to drive through, yuck!

We are going to try and open our business tomorrow

Clocker
08-29-2017, 09:18 AM
We are going to try and open our business tomorrow

Too bad TV preacher Joel Osteen won't do the same. His 17,000 seat church in Houston is sitting high and dry, and locked.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/28/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-closes-doors-displaced-harvey-victims/ (http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/28/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-closes-doors-displaced-harvey-victims/)

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-29-2017, 09:53 AM
Too bad TV preacher Joel Osteen won't do the same. His 17,000 seat church in Houston is sitting high and dry, and locked.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/28/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-closes-doors-displaced-harvey-victims/ (http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/28/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-closes-doors-displaced-harvey-victims/)

Nobody cares more about the almighty -- dollar than the phony televangelists. It will cost him a lot of money to let people in for free then supply them with food and shelter.

tucker6
08-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Nobody cares more about the almighty -- dollar than the phony televangelists. It will cost him a lot of money to let people in for free then supply them with food and shelter.

... and give up the private jet? Why would he do that to help people in need? :rolleyes:

boxcar
08-29-2017, 10:16 AM

Sadly -- very sadly, Osteen's church is a perfect modern day example of tares growing up among the wheat in Jesus' parable in Mat 13:24-30.

Ocala Mike
08-29-2017, 11:06 AM
On Boxcar's page for once! I sometimes listen to this guy on Sunday mornings; he's quite a captivating speaker with a trophy wife and lots of $ in his bank account, so that should tell you all you need to know about the depths of his Christianity.

summersquall
08-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Seems that the good reverend has seen the light as the doors of Lakewood Church are now open to the multitude of storm refugees.

JustRalph
08-29-2017, 11:53 AM
We tried for two hours this morning to get into our business to open for anybody who needed fed. We cannot get in. Blocked from all four directions.

Ran into a convey of electric workers from Georgia, they are stuck in between rivers too.

Power is on, but surging. Comfortable at home now.

boxcar
08-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Seems that the good reverend has seen the light as the doors of Lakewood Church are now open to the multitude of storm refugees.

He was probably very afraid of losing a large percentage of his own congregation and, therefore, a good chunk of his income.

PaceAdvantage
08-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Comfortable at home now.Glad to hear it...from the news, it wouldn't seem like anywhere near you would be comfortable...

Saratoga_Mike
08-29-2017, 12:11 PM
We tried for two hours this morning to get into our business to open for anybody who needed fed. We cannot get in. Blocked from all four directions.

Ran into a convey of electric workers from Georgia, they are stuck in between rivers too.

How far is your business from your house? The streets weren't all flooded on the way?

Marshall Bennett
08-29-2017, 12:14 PM

Good luck, Ralph, but most of all stay safe. Watching what's happening to the city on tv is heartbreaking. Recovery will take months if not years. Much of Houston is devastated.

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-29-2017, 12:22 PM
The dams overflowing is the scariest part. Hope you guys are not near any dams.

garyscpa
08-29-2017, 12:34 PM

Yep, got to be careful when you venture out because the situation can change quickly. Looks like the weather is getting better but we've still got upstream runoff to deal with.

rlopez781
08-29-2017, 02:44 PM
Is KPMATS10 (Keith Mattei) okay? I think he also lives in Houston. I tried to contact him but no response.He mentioned that he might lose power.

I hope he and his family are safe and okay.

Ray

JustRalph
08-29-2017, 06:28 PM
How far is your business from your house? The streets weren't all flooded on the way?

I drive a Toyota Tundra. I drive thru up to 3ft of water. As long as it's not "running water" I can get through

About 10 miles. 6 miles of which is freeway. That freeway runs over the San Jacinto River. Yesterday that river was running 2 feet under the bridge. This morning that river is covering the bridge +12 ft.

I cannot get over the river from any direction. Here's a photo I found on twitter. Our business is about 2 miles on the other side of this piece of freeway

garyscpa
08-30-2017, 08:11 AM
Water is way down now on this side of town. Water in my street yesterday was higher than photo with game warden. It's dry now.

Looks like Beaumont and Port Arthur are taking a pounding now. The Cajun Navy is cut off.

That means Delta Downs is going to take a pounding too.

Fager Fan
08-30-2017, 08:57 AM
Glad to hear those of you here in Texas are ok. Gary, Marshall, Ralph. Ralph, continued good luck with your store and home. Have you seen your store to know that it's not been flooded or looted? Hope neither. Best to you and all of Texas in the clean up and rebuilding stage (thinking they're making that turn today with improved weather).

BaffertsWig
08-30-2017, 10:26 AM
He was probably very afraid of losing a large percentage of his own congregation and, therefore, a good chunk of his income.

He was bashed on social media after saying they couldn't open up due to the building being flooded, underwater, roads inaccessible, etc. People in the area filmed videos outside of the arena showing this to be fake news, hence the outrage. Love the backpedaling on his part :pound:

Fager Fan
08-30-2017, 10:35 AM
He was bashed on social media after saying they couldn't open up due to the building being flooded, underwater, roads inaccessible, etc. People in the area filmed videos outside of the arena showing this to be fake news, hence the outrage. Love the backpedaling on his part :pound:

I've always thought there is a special section in hell for those who use the Lord for personal gain. Billy Graham this guy is not.

Saratoga_Mike
08-30-2017, 11:18 AM
I drive a Toyota Tundra. I drive thru up to 3ft of water. As long as it's not "running water" I can get through

About 10 miles. 6 miles of which is freeway. That freeway runs over the San Jacinto River. Yesterday that river was running 2 feet under the bridge. This morning that river is covering the bridge +12 ft.

I cannot get over the river from any direction. Here's a photo I found on twitter. Our business is about 2 miles on the other side of this piece of freeway

Thanks for the photo and info. Be careful driving in that water - could be very dangerous.

Marshall Bennett
08-30-2017, 01:10 PM
The actual flooding wasn't visible from the outside. Cleanup was taking place which included pumping floodwater inside the entrance. The doors to the church were never locked. Its highly doubtful anyone could get in with the work taking place.
The whole story was built on assumption and little facts.
Fake news in its finest form. :)

PhantomOnTour
08-30-2017, 01:18 PM
As someone who lost it all during Katrina, it breaks my heart to see what's happening to our fine neighbors in Texas.
Total strangers here in Lafayette opened their doors to folks displaced by Katrina, and they're going to do it again...I will join them.

Folks in New Orleans (and the Saints) have designed some T shirts to sell for Harvey relief. They simply say: HOU-DAT
Wish I could post an image...if anyone can find one please post it here.

I'm not a very religious guy, but the last few days I've found myself in spontaneous prayer for the people affected by this flood.
:(

JustRalph
08-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Found a route in to our business. It's an hour 10 min instead of our normal 20 min commute .

We did not lose power the entire 5 days. That cuts our food loss from 70k to about 3-5k. Big win.

Lots of police activity still going on. Rescues still going on not far from us.

Personally, no water in our home. Power out a total of 2 hours.

Business, some food loss, that's it. We got lucky!

Thanks for all the messages and emails!

summersquall
08-30-2017, 01:43 PM
So it was simply a case of the city not having requested one of the most preeminent nonprofits in the South, located in one of the most well known buildings in the entire city, if they could open their facility to be used as a shelter. Very weak sauce.

Racetrack Playa
08-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Folks in New Orleans (and the Saints) have designed some T shirts to sell for Harvey relief. They simply say: HOU-DAT
Wish I could post an image...if anyone can find one please post it here.
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIF.z2KADaCcArmkEtF20BFHuA&w=78&h=78&c=7&pid=1.1

Inner Dirt
08-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Once it stops raining how quickly will the water recede?

PhantomOnTour
08-30-2017, 03:44 PM
https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIF.z2KADaCcArmkEtF20BFHuA&w=78&h=78&c=7&pid=1.1

That's it...thank you!!

summersquall
08-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Entirely dependent on geographical location. According to rate of release from area reservoirs as well. No rain in the past 24 hours has resulted in the reopening of most roadways and the recession of water in this area 35 miles north of town, where in contrast to Houston the is some undulation to the topography. For the folks closer to Louisiana and beyond conditions are similar to this past weekend.

Inner Dirt
08-30-2017, 05:22 PM
Ralph, did you experiment to come up with the 3 feet rule? Do you have a lift kit and real tall tires? I have a standard lift Tahoe with standard height tires and I would not try anything more than 18" which is the bottom of the door opening. On the other hand I had bought a succession of new Toyota trucks before my temporary insanity made me buy American. If I had a 4 Runner I would probably try 3 feet of water. That Tahoe is the biggest piece of crap new vehicle I ever bought.

Clocker
08-30-2017, 05:46 PM
I have a standard lift Tahoe with standard height tires and I would not try anything more than 18" which is the bottom of the door opening.

My Tundra is standard, and about 24" to the bottom of the door opening. I wouldn't try much deeper than that unless really desperate.

Like for a beer run. :p

Inner Dirt
08-30-2017, 07:18 PM
My Tundra is standard, and about 24" to the bottom of the door opening. I wouldn't try much deeper than that unless really desperate.

So what is your point? Does Ralph have a bad ass truck or is Ralph just a bad ass himself?:lol::lol::lol:

JustRalph
08-30-2017, 08:50 PM

That's what I have. 2 wheel drive. No lift or anything. That door seal leaks very little. But it does leak a little. I've only tried the 3ft mark twice, and probably got 6-8 ounces of water in the front floor. 4 ounces on each side? But I'm not in it long. 2.5 feet is a gimme I've done many times.

In our sub division, some enterprising individual has placed some home made depth "sticks" he calls them. I checked them during our last "event". They are accurate to within about an inch. That's where I get my numbers from. I used to have a Tahoe 4 wheel drive. 2006 model. It was good to about the same depth but seemed to let more water in thru the front and around the engine. The Tundra kind of pushes it away in the front.

I'm going to upgrade my Tundra to an 18 model soon. They aren't at the dealer yet. I've got an order sheet, I just haven't turned it in yet. After this hurricane, I might upgrade to 4 wheel drive. Just for these reasons. I figure that will give us another 12 years without a hurricane :lol: and I'll never need it.

The 18 Tundra comes with all the new fancy safety features standard. They added a grand to the price. Well worth it to me. I'm a huge fan of the auto stopping and lane control features. These things are already saving lives.

Clocker
08-30-2017, 10:30 PM
The Tundra kind of pushes it away in the front.

Especially if you go real fast. Another plus for 4WD. ;)

Clocker
08-31-2017, 10:45 AM
Reports are that many areas, including DFW, are likely to run out of gas by Labor Day.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/traffic/gas-prices/article170270997.html (http://www.star-telegram.com/news/traffic/gas-prices/article170270997.html)

Lemon Drop Husker
08-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Reports are that many areas, including DFW, are likely to run out of gas by Labor Day.

http://www.star-telegram.com/news/traffic/gas-prices/article170270997.html (http://www.star-telegram.com/news/traffic/gas-prices/article170270997.html)

And absurd price gouging. Unreal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-attorney-general-warns-price-gouging-aftermath-harvey/story?id=49503480

JustRalph
08-31-2017, 01:11 PM
Depth "sticks" are still sitting out

ElKabong
08-31-2017, 01:18 PM
IN laws living in The Woodlands left to go back to their home this morning at 4am. Their neighbors texted all week, little to no damage.

In laws from Spring are still here, will try to go home this afternoon. Definite damage, they're hoping flooding in the house is minimal. Too bad because it's a beautiful home. That neighborhood hasn't flooded before, but didn't dodge the bullet on this one.

Their homes are maybe fifteen minutes apart yet very different outcomes.

Inner Dirt
08-31-2017, 01:44 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-attorney-general-warns-price-gouging-aftermath-harvey/story?id=49503480

Somebody should start a website to expose the gougers and encourage people to avoid patronizing their businesses in the future. On the other side the business who donate time, money, and provisions to help those in need should be rewarded with increased future patronage.

ReplayRandall
08-31-2017, 10:15 PM

My very best advice to you Joel Osteen is this: ACT and don't talk anymore, you're digging yourself a deep hole......Your daddy John would have told you the same.

woodtoo
09-01-2017, 09:42 AM
My very best advice to you Joel Osteen is this: ACT and don't talk anymore, you're digging yourself a deep hole......Your daddy John would have told you the same.

You want him to turn it into that hell hole stadium they had in New Orleans?

There are other ways to help other than destroying his church.

ReplayRandall
09-01-2017, 10:21 AM
You want him to turn it into that hell hole stadium they had in New Orleans?

There are other ways to help other than destroying his church.

Osteen took a calculated risk, which backfired in his face......He needs to stop talking and let it die down. The more he talks and defends, the worse he looks to everyone, even to his own following.

elysiantraveller
09-01-2017, 10:27 AM

I wonder how my new Trailhawk would fair... being on bags would help with the water. :)

One thing I know is with all the body armor underneath it I wouldn't be in fear of submerged objects.

Alas it's September and hunting season is only 15 days away so soon I'll find out! :cool:

JustRalph
09-01-2017, 11:50 AM
I wonder how my new Trailhawk would fair... being on bags would help with the water. :)

One thing I know is with all the body armor underneath it I wouldn't be in fear of submerged objects.

Alas it's September and hunting season is only 15 days away so soon I'll find out! :cool:

Not a fan of Jeep.......but I like the look of that thing.

I just saw the price of that thing.......Jesus Amiga!

Inner Dirt
09-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Depth "sticks" are still sitting out

That yard behind that stick recently was under water?

JustRalph
09-01-2017, 03:44 PM

Yep......almost up to the house

Inner Dirt
09-01-2017, 04:15 PM

Yep......almost up to the house

Would not expect it to look that nice.

JustRalph
09-01-2017, 04:21 PM
Would not expect it to look that nice.

That house is at the far end of this video. There are some places where the water left a brown line, but not everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92MwKZbsI7E

_______
09-01-2017, 10:59 PM

There is actually a fairly good economic argument in favor of price gouging. The high prices act as a deterrent to unnecessary hoarding and also a signal to suppliers outside the area to bring their goods where they are needed.

The market is a heartless beast.

Inner Dirt's response is the other side of the coin, though. Anyone who wishes to sell building supplies to a recovering community probably shouldn't charge 3x normal for a generator before the storm hits.

I'm pretty sure most business people navigate this conundrum without too much trouble.

woodtoo
09-04-2017, 11:57 AM
J.J.Watt set a goal of raising $200,000.00 for flood relief, raising it higher as each goal was met.
Guess what was just passed?

$18.5 million!!!!

J.J. loves Texas :jump:

JustRalph
09-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Watt is something else.

But, Walmart has 700 semi trucks of supplies enroute from 4 different distro centers.

They have 1800 more scheduled.

I was out and about for a while yesterday. The business to be in is drywall........

Seems like every other truck is hauling dry wall

Tom
09-04-2017, 04:39 PM
There is actually a fairly good economic argument in favor of price gouging. The high prices act as a deterrent to unnecessary hoarding

I don't agree - this makes it unfair for those who cannot afford the gouging. In this case, socialism is the key - no one gets on more bottle of water than anyone else, no matter how much $$$ they have.

Clocker
09-04-2017, 05:59 PM
I don't agree - this makes it unfair for those who cannot afford the gouging. In this case, socialism is the key - no one gets on more bottle of water than anyone else, no matter how much $$$ they have.

And you would entrust fair and just enforcement of such rules to our government? :pound:

JustRalph
09-14-2017, 05:39 PM
finally grabbed a look at my dashcam pics.

found this pic from my travels through about 3ft of water in my Tundra

JustRalph
05-07-2019, 10:27 PM
I think I set a new record in my Tundra today. We got some serious rain.

This is the same road as the videos above. Our HOA spent 150k to fix this flooding .........I’m guessing they are going to want a refund

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gCplCq-UoVw

Marshall Bennett
05-08-2019, 08:46 AM
Saw where Kingwood/Porter area got up to 10 inches in just a couple hours. Also right in the middle of rush hour....what a mess.