PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Thursday, August 24

Teach
08-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Race One:

:2:, :10:, :4:, :6:

Race Two:

I’m taking a shot with a medium-longshot in this 50k MC sprint. My pick, an admitted gambler’s throw, is the :8:, BONNIE SCOT. In this 2 year-old grey filly’s only start (this very same company) earlier in the Spa meet, she finished 6th, ten lengths behind the winner. Yet, there was, in my opinion, an excuse. This filly was taken up at the break. I believe this compromised any chance she might have had of hitting the tote. Well, she now draws outside and picks up the services of “The Looziana Kid,” The Cajun,” Kendrick Carmouche. Carmouche won the nightcap, yesterday. The “King of Philadelphia” is an aggressive rider who should put this filly into contention, early. The filly’s trainer is the most capable Long Island native, Gary Contessa. Others: :5:, :9:, :6:

Race Three:

In this 35k turf route, n3L, my pick is :3: BARATTI. This lightly-raced Medaglia d’Oro-bred 6 year-old horse has been, until recently, racing in the United Arab Emirates. He won his last race there back in January. In this horse’s most recent start, at the beginning of The Spa meet, he finished 4th in a race that was taken off the turf and run on the main. Frankly, he hasn’t hit the tote in his only two turf races. That is concerning. Yet, his turf pedigree (Storm Cat, etc.) is clearly obvious. Kiaran McLaughlin – he’s having an excellent meet -- trains this El Prado-bred. McLaughlin does exceptionally well with horses making their second start under his tutelage, albeit with a limited sampling. He also does well with horses making their second start off a layoff. Joel Rosario reprises the ride. Others: :5:, :2:, :6:

Race Four:

In this 7-furlongs state-bred allowance, n1x, I’m picking: :7: JEWEL CAN DISCO. This Disco Rico-bred bay colt demolished MSW company in early July downstate at Belmont. This Citidancer-bred won by nearly nine lengths. The one-panel stretch of today’s race should not cause any problems. Yes, this 3 year-old has been away from the races for nearly two months, yet that’s a category that his trainer, Gary Gullo, does reasonably well with. Yes, this colt does move up to face winners. I believe that if his jockey, Joel Rosario, can quickly get this colt out of the gate and out “on the engine,” he very well could be the controlling speed. He’ll then be playing: Catch-me-if-you-can. Others: :6:, :2b:, :1a:

Race Five:

In this 25k claiming event, one mile and one-sixteenth on The Inner, my choice is: :5: INDUSTRIAL POLICY. This 7 year-old Harlan’s Holiday-bred mare has faced better in her most recent efforts. She drops 2+ classes here (a category her trainer, Mark Casse, does very well with). Casse also does reasonably well with horses making their third start off a layoff. The mare’s pilot is John Velazquez. He’s having a solid Spa meet. Others: :10:, :11:, :1:

Race Six:

In this 7-panels state-bred maiden-claimer, I’m picking: :7: INDIAN GEM. This Gemologist-bred bay filly is switching surfaces: turf-to-dirt. I personally like that angle. Well, this filly went off as “the chalk” in her most recent race, a 5 and ½ panels turf sprint; she finished 4th. A chance to make amends here. One of the most capable jocks campaigning on the NYRA circuit, Manny Franco, is in the irons for trainer George Weaver. Weaver does very well both with horses who were beaten favorites and those making their second start off a layoff. Others: :6:, :10:, :8:

Race Seven:

In this OC turf route, n1x, I’m picking :11: KHALEESI KAT My reasoning: Jose Lezcano should have sufficient time on the long front-straight before hitting that first turn to position this Afleet Alex-bred mare into a contending position. I should add that I have a personal preference for Lezcano on the green (he does well in that racing category). The aforementioned 5 year-old mare has faced better; she’s now back in with state-bred company. I believe she has as solid a chance anyone in this field to get her picture taken. The Hall of Fame trainer, Bill Mott, trains this Nehantic Kat-bred (it should be cited that this broodmare had two winners from three starters and two turf winners). A solid recent 4-panels morning-work :48.3, breezing, signals readiness. Others: :6:, :8:, :7:

Race Eight:

In this state-bred allowance sprint, I’m going with: :3: WEEKEND HIDEAWAY. This Speightstown-bred chestnut horse bobbled at the start of his most recent Spa race; despite that, he stayed in contention in the early stages – the fractions were quarter horse-like – only to weaken in the last furlong of that 6-panels non-graded state-bred stakes race; he finished 3rd. A cleaner start would be all that seems necessary for this Gone West-bred to be a contender. It should be noted that this horse has faced better, non-graded stakes company over the past several months; he should find this field much more to his liking. Phil Serpe trains this son of Apocalyptical. Luis Saez is in the irons. I should mention that this horse recently turned in a solid 3-panels morning work. Others: :1a:, :6:, :8:

Race Nine:

That brings us to today’s feature, the 100k Riskaverse for 3 year-old fillies to be contested over the Inner Turf Course at a distance of one mile. I giving my tepid nod here to the :12: CHERRY LODGE. The bay filly’s pilot, Johnny V., will have to get this filly out of the gate quickly to avoid being “hung out to dry” on that first turn. He did just that in this filly’s last race, but that was at seven panels. This filly has certainly competed against better, graded stakes company, but those sprints were on the main. Frankly, although I still like this horse, I have concerns about her ability on the green (her turf pedigree is “adequate”) and the one-mile. I would definitely caution you about “betting the ranch”. Yet, the connections are impeccable. The aforementioned Hall of Fame jockey and the meet’s leading trainer. If you’re looking elsewhere: :4:, :8:, :10:

Race Ten:

That brings us to the finale. The nightcap on today’s 10-race card. My choice is :2: CAN’TWEALLGETALONG in this MSW turf route. Well, I’m willing to give this 2 year-old bay colt “a mulligan” in his up-the-track finish in a similar race. In that one, he was pulling on the bit. If trainer Gary Contessa – he does well with horses making their second route race – can iron out this colt’s problems, I believe he can be a contender here. Make no mistake: This colt has solid turf credentials, especially “on top”. Luis Saez is in the irons. Others: :4:, :5:, :8: