PDA

View Full Version : Most Respected Writer

^^Salih15^^
08-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Hi to everyone,
I am from England. I was told that the most respected American handicappers are Jim Quinn and Tom Brohammer. I need also your opinion too.
Cheers
Best Regards

MPRanger
08-19-2017, 03:11 PM
The ones I respect most are:

Michael Pizzola
James Quinn

Charlie
08-21-2017, 11:32 AM
I own a ton of handicapping books, and when it comes to authors, there have been many good ones, but also some, not so good. But simply based on the 2 that have helped me the most, I'd go with Bob Pandolfo and Jim Lehane.

jay68802
08-21-2017, 12:31 PM
I looked at my all my handicapping books last night and noticed the three that were the most worn and used.

James Quinn
Michael Pizzola
Randy Giles

Elliott Sidewater
08-21-2017, 03:54 PM
I can't believe that no one mentioned Andy Beyer in the first few responses. Andy, in my opinion, is the dean of American handicapping authors, and no one else is even close. I know he hasn't written a book on over 20 years, but those in print all rank among the best ever published, both for entertainment value and handicapping advice. Andy's books and teachings were responsible for the most enjoyable and productive period of my horse playing career, roughly from 1977 to 1989. The closest I ever got to meeting him was listening live at a Saratoga seminar, it was a bucket list opportunity lost due to the too large gathered crowd.

horseraceguy101
08-21-2017, 06:56 PM
well I've been pretty good a time or two lol :)

Actor
08-21-2017, 09:11 PM
William L. Quirin.

ReplayRandall
08-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Going outside the box----->Mark Cramer; Kinky Handicapping

Managing/betting your bankroll---->James Selvidge; Hold Your Horses

cj
08-21-2017, 11:32 PM
Andy Beyer

\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

Everyone else.

CincyHorseplayer
08-22-2017, 12:46 AM
Andy Beyer

\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

Everyone else.

Absolutely. Beyer takes you into the most essential of elements=the love of this particular game and the unbridled desire to win and conquer! In my late 20's I had some rough years. Life stuff. Self inflicted bad surroundings etc. The track was always literally a breathe of fresh air. I could read Andy's books over and over. It stoked my horseplayer passion and that obsession kept me focused and I got through those lean years. The races were literally a life affirming event. Andrew Beyer is the soul of the horseplayer I don't care what anybody says! I hope he writes one more book and it's a magnum opus of both playing and stories. I love a lot of handicapping authors but he is definitely the first face on the Mt. Rushmore of horseplaying!

delayjf
08-22-2017, 09:15 AM
Agree with CJ, I reread his books annually.

SandyW
08-23-2017, 11:10 PM
My favorites are Andy Beyer, Steve Christ, and Sports Eye Dave.

davew
08-23-2017, 11:36 PM
There are many good writers in many different handicapping subsets

speed ratings
pace ratings
form factors
betting / toteboard
physicality
computer programs
trainer intentions

I am not sure which areas have applications to European horseracing

forgot to mention the writers in DRF and big newspapers around big circuits... who write daily/weekly columns

^^Salih15^^
12-09-2017, 05:06 AM
I am not sure which areas have applications to European horseracing

PROVEN HORSES
PROGRESSIVE / IMPROVE HORSES
IN FORM HORSES (Recent Form)
PROMISING HORSES

pandy
12-09-2017, 09:03 AM
I own a ton of handicapping books, and when it comes to authors, there have been many good ones, but also some, not so good. But simply based on the 2 that have helped me the most, I'd go with Bob Pandolfo and Jim Lehane.

Thanks Charlie! I really like Beyer's Winning Horseplayer. In recent years I'm pretty much the only handicapper who's written new handicapping books. So I was glad to see that's someone credible came out with a new book, professional horseplayer, Mike Maloney. I'm reading his book, "Betting With An Edge" and really enjoying it. Although not ground-breaking as far as handicapping material, the book is anecdotal, entertaining, and informative. He has some great racetrack stories to tell and I'm glad he came out with this book.

I'm working on something new.

keenang
12-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Tom B

Mike P

These 2 are my favs

Geno:p

AlanBaze
12-18-2017, 09:16 PM
Explain promising horses to me?