PDA

View Full Version : ANOTHER SANCTUARY CITY FALLS

incoming
08-17-2017, 05:31 AM
Miami is no longer a sanctuary city...AG Jeff Session points accusing finger at Chicago....story at link.:popcorn::popcorn:

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/5543212025001/?#sp=show-clips

Tom
08-17-2017, 06:03 PM
You know, those funds to the cities that Trump want to withhold?
After thinking about it, I have to say, why is ANY city getting federal finds for anything? I don't want ollar one of my taxes going to Chicago for any reason, or New York, or any other place. If the Fed has enough money to pay for cities, they can damn will cut my takes.

States and cities should be on their own.
For every damn thing.

Withhold it ALL, Donald. ALL!

Jess Hawsen Arown
08-18-2017, 09:56 AM
The will of the people.

We shall not allow the liberal-infested Democratic Party to pick and choose which laws they wish to respect and which laws they wish to ignore.

Clocker
08-18-2017, 10:25 AM
After thinking about it, I have to say, why is ANY city getting federal finds for anything? I don't want dollar one of my taxes going to Chicago for any reason, or New York, or any other place. If the Fed has enough money to pay for cities, they can damn will cut my takes.

Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution lists the powers of Congress, the things that they have the authority and responsibility to deal with. I see nothing there that by any stretch of the imagination would include federal financing of any city.

The Tenth Amendment states:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.It is my considered legal opinion, unhampered and unbiased by any legal training, that funding of any city activity is the responsibility of the state and/or the citizens of that city.

boxcar
08-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Article 1, Section 8, of the Constitution lists the powers of Congress, the things that they have the authority and responsibility to deal with. I see nothing there that by any stretch of the imagination would include federal financing of any city.

The Tenth Amendment states:
It is my considered legal opinion, unhampered and unbiased by any legal training, that funding of any city activity is the responsibility of the state and/or the citizens of that city.

Oooh...you're no friend of the teachers' unions. :coffee: :ThmbUp:

chadk66
08-18-2017, 10:47 AM
all this federal funding for anything and everything needs to stop. If states want shit they can tax their citizens for it. more swamp draining has to happen. that includes federal financing.

Clocker
08-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Oooh...you're no friend of the teachers' unions. :coffee: :ThmbUp:

I will be if they ever start teaching the Constitution in schools. :p

boxcar
08-18-2017, 12:49 PM
I will be if they ever start teaching the Constitution in schools. :p

Hell will freeze over first and fish will be swimming the streets in downtown Miami before that ever happens.

FantasticDan
11-21-2017, 11:02 AM
US Judge permanently blocks Trump order to cut funding to sanctuary cities:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/21/federal-judge-blocks-trumps-executive-order-on-denying-funding-to-sanctuary-cities/

“The Constitution vests the spending powers in Congress, not the President, so the Executive Order cannot constitutionally place new conditions on federal funds. Further, the Tenth Amendment requires that conditions on federal funds be unambiguous and timely made; that they bear some relation to the funds at issue; and that they not be unduly coercive,” the judge wrote. “Federal funding that bears no meaningful relationship to immigration enforcement cannot be threatened merely because a jurisdiction chooses an immigration enforcement strategy of which the President disapproves.”

MadTiger
11-21-2017, 11:10 AM
"Follow the money."

These federal funds are in play by BOTH major parties. They are used as bargaining chips to keep their status quos.

tucker6
11-21-2017, 11:43 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2017/11/21/federal-judge-blocks-trumps-executive-order-on-denying-funding-to-sanctuary-cities/

The good news I take from these decisions is that eventually they'll run their course through the courts and solidify the right of the feds to take these and other federal actions. Sometimes Dan, it's better to keep the court card in the back pocket and negotiate better than to expose your hand for the losing proposition it is.

Tom
11-21-2017, 12:04 PM
I think this would not hold up in the Supreme Kourt.
OR, Congress could step up and doi its job and cut off funding to any city that defies the laws.

zico20
11-21-2017, 02:24 PM

When Obama threatened to cut off aid through EO for schools that would not allow kids to pick their own rest room I did not hear a peep out of liberals saying it is unconstitutional for a president to do that. Democrats are so two faced it is pathetic. Did you Dan stand up for the schools at that time? Did you?

FantasticDan
11-21-2017, 03:10 PM
When Obama threatened to cut off aid through EO for schools that would not allow kids to pick their own rest room I did not hear a peep out of liberals saying it is unconstitutional for a president to do that. Democrats are so two faced it is pathetic. Did you Dan stand up for the schools at that time? Did you?All the Obama admin did was send guidance information to schools as to their legal and civil rights requirements in regard to transgender students. The only "threat" was citing that all federally-funded schools were required to follow these obligations.

chadk66
11-21-2017, 03:28 PM
it's best if congress actually does it. that will expose those that are for sanctuary cities and it won't be able to be over ridden by a liberal president.

Tom
11-21-2017, 05:24 PM
Here's a court maneuver - if an illegal commits a crime, or kill someone. the city that allowed him or her to stay is held liable for the actions.

zico20
11-21-2017, 07:45 PM
All the Obama admin did was send guidance information to schools as to their legal and civil rights requirements in regard to transgender students. The only "threat" was citing that all federally-funded schools were required to follow these obligations.

Not so!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/13/report-obama-administration-to-tell-public-schools-to-let-transgender-students-use-bathrooms-their-choice.html

https://hotair.com/archives/2016/04/02/feds-threaten-to-withhold-funding-from-north-carolina-over-bathroom-privacy-law/

http://www.politifact.com/north-carolina/statements/2016/mar/28/pat-mccrory/gov-pat-mccrory-no-title-ix-threat-billions-federa/

The ACLU and some Democratic legislators say that contradiction between the state law and the federal guidance could cost billions. North Carolina is scheduled to receive an estimated $4.58 billion from the federal government in 2016 for education funding, which could be at risk with a Title IX violation.