PDA

View Full Version : Game of Thrones?

elysiantraveller
08-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Maybe some levity in here...

Anyone here watch this show? The SO loves it but I just can't seem to get in to it. I'm on my third attempt now at it and am well into season 3. Not looking to attack fans on of it just curious what people on here think of it.

johnhannibalsmith
08-16-2017, 11:56 PM
I tried it once and thought it was unwatchable. But, it isn't really my genre anyway.

FantasticDan
08-17-2017, 12:00 AM
I've always been a big sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I love the show. The funny thing is I didn't even really know it was on until season one was over and already out on disc. I also bought the original series of books, but honestly, with the backlog I've got, good chance I'll never get to them.

It's impossible to really absorb the show in its first viewing, there are so many characters and plot turns. The second time through was when I started to fully appreciate it.

I have many friends and family who watch (or have tried to), you're not alone in not really connecting with it. ;)

davew
08-17-2017, 12:52 AM
I do not have HBO but have bought and binged on HOMELAND and Game of Thrones - GOT has some slow sections, but is interesting how the 'ruling class' jumps around.

I like HOMELAND better.

AltonKelsey
08-17-2017, 12:54 AM
I watch anything done well.

As long as it isn't zombie garbage, though they seem to slip that in when I least expect it.

Preacher
American Gods

If you're into really strange, they make GOT look like Disneyland

elysiantraveller
08-17-2017, 01:12 AM
I do not have HBO but have bought and binged on HOMELAND and Game of Thrones - GOT has some slow sections, but is interesting how the 'ruling class' jumps around.

I like HOMELAND better.

Homeland season 1 was probably one of the best done seasons of TV ever. Afterwards it went downhill I thought.

elysiantraveller
08-17-2017, 01:18 AM
I've always been a big sci-fi and fantasy fan, so I love the show. The funny thing is I didn't even really know it was on until season one was over and already out on disc. I also bought the original series of books, but honestly, with the backlog I've got, good chance I'll never get to them.

It's impossible to really absorb the show in its first viewing, there are so many characters and plot turns. The second time through was when I started to fully appreciate it.

I have many friends and family who watch (or have tried to), you're not alone in not really connecting with it. ;)

I love sci-fi and am not as keen on fantasy. From watching it though I do think the books would be a better vehicle for the story and I don't think for me it lends itself too well for TV. The show just simply involves too many characters and subplots for me. In a book there is more time to explain relationships and motives but on the screen the characters actions at times seem completely implausible and illogical. I guess it works for ah-ha moments and water cooler conversation which does lend itself to the buzz

Sinner369
08-17-2017, 03:41 AM
To appreciate the show you have to watch it from the beginning.........and how the main

characters got to where they are now............the first two seasons are always the best "must

watch episodes" so you would know their history.....and how they got to where they are NOW.

Dahoss2002
08-17-2017, 03:48 AM
I know its been on for years but I'm on season 1 just watched 4th episode. Cant tell how many seasons i will watch, but its pretty good at this point

RunForTheRoses
08-17-2017, 07:12 AM
I started watching in season 3, I binged watched to catch up. Normally, I wouldn't like a show like that-fantasy, but this show is different, very complex. There is also some great acting such as Peter Dinklage.

I like also how the story doesn't have the good guys always win, in fact many times they get slaughtered, like in real life.

I just watched the leaked next episode last night and it is a good one. Lots of action and it really moves the plot.

FantasticDan
08-17-2017, 09:36 AM
I watch anything done well.

As long as it isn't zombie garbage, though they seem to slip that in when I least expect it.

Preacher
American Gods

If you're into really strange, they make GOT look like Disneyland
American Gods blew me away.. crazy and amazing. :ThmbUp:

Secondbest
08-17-2017, 10:24 AM
I read the books years ago, still waiting for the next, only been 8 or 9 years.
The show is my favorite because like another poster said the good guys don't always win. The Red Wedding proved that.Also the characters are really fleshed out with their motives ,likes dislike hates and loves you feel you know them. The acting is very good especially Peter Dinklage and Lena Heady.HBO splitting the last season into 2 really sucks. 5 episodes this year and then you wait a year for 4 more.Ugh.

FantasticDan
08-17-2017, 10:36 AM
HBO splitting the last season into 2 really sucks. 5 episodes this year and then you wait a year for 4 more.Ugh.Actually this season has 7 eps (this Sunday is ep6), and the final season will have 6.

I can understand the diminished number of eps, the CGI budget for each of these last couple seasons is on a par with a major movie.

I read there's a chance the final season won't air until 2019.. :ThmbDown:

Secondbest
08-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Actually this season has 7 eps (this Sunday is ep6), and the final season will have 6.

I can understand the diminished number of eps, the CGI budget for each of these last couple seasons is on a par with a major movie.

I read there's a chance the final season won't air until 2019.. :ThmbDown:

Your right on the number of episodes. I stand corrected.It just seems less. The reason for not ending this year is all about ratings and more subscriptions to HBO. But nothing we can do but wait to see who wins the game.

elysiantraveller
08-17-2017, 01:53 PM
I read the books years ago, still waiting for the next, only been 8 or 9 years.
The show is my favorite because like another poster said the good guys don't always win. The Red Wedding proved that.Also the characters are really fleshed out with their motives ,likes dislike hates and loves you feel you know them. The acting is very good especially Peter Dinklage and Lena Heady.HBO splitting the last season into 2 really sucks. 5 episodes this year and then you wait a year for 4 more.Ugh.

Yeah see I'd have to do the books first I think because I don't get that from the show. I think because it moves around so much its hard to convey the development and people seem to act very irrational. Its not bad and I certainly understand why its as popular as it is. Just can't connect. Dinklage is amazing in it though. Character is super well acted and has great dialogue.

Wrapped up Ozark the other day and found that enjoyable. Its essentially a watered down Breaking Bad but interesting to see Bateman in that role and the episodes he directed were well done. Laura Linney is also very good in her role.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2017, 02:03 PM
Love GOT...love, love, love, love it...

Two episodes back was probably my favorite episode ever...and this next one looks like it might be pretty freakin' amazing.

I can see why they are doing fewer episodes this season and next season...the production budget must be through the roof this year...

elysiantraveller
08-17-2017, 02:06 PM

Two episodes back was probably my favorite episode ever...and this next one looks like it might be pretty freakin' amazing.

I can see why they are doing fewer episodes this season and next season...the production budget must be through the roof this year...

Obviously not there yet. Finished season 3 and the Red Wedding last night but from what I hear the production value is pretty incredible this year.

PaceAdvantage
08-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Obviously not there yet. Finished season 3 and the Red Wedding last night but from what I hear the production value is pretty incredible this year.You know, everyone told me the Red Wedding was going to blow my mind, yadda yadda yadda. This was way before I saw the episode.

When I saw it, I wasn't even sure in my mind if this was the episode everyone was telling me was such a mind blower. I still don't understand all the jaw-dropping over that episode. Yeah, some important characters died and all, I guess, from what I remember, but still, it was underwhelming to me compared to all the hype I was hearing...

elysiantraveller
08-17-2017, 02:37 PM
You know, everyone told me the Red Wedding was going to blow my mind, yadda yadda yadda. This was way before I saw the episode.

When I saw it, I wasn't even sure in my mind if this was the episode everyone was telling me was such a mind blower. I still don't understand all the jaw-dropping over that episode. Yeah, some important characters died and all, I guess, from what I remember, but still, it was underwhelming to me compared to all the hype I was hearing...

That's kinda my one main issue with the show and why I don't get sucked in. The rationale for a lot of happens with Robb Stark and the Army of the North just doesn't really make all that much sense. The Red Wedding was really done well I think as it comes sorta outta left field and if you were watching it real time would be furious having to wait until next season to resume so that's all good showmanship. Its something I really should read before I watch Me-thinks.

That said the universe that is created is simply incredible and to showcase all of it with so many different story-lines something has to give...

I'll keep watching it just not totally sold on it.

Dave Schwartz
08-17-2017, 04:06 PM
Game of Thrones is the only show on TV that we watch live. Just cannot wait for the next episode.

Everything else we DVR.

Dave Schwartz
08-17-2017, 04:14 PM

I agree completely on both counts.

Love seeing her on that dragon.

BTW, re: budget... when my son was working on Planet of the Apes 3, his job was Cesar's nest and the tunnel. He told me that those scenes were $3.5m for 30 seconds of screen time.

RunForTheRoses
08-17-2017, 04:27 PM
One thing I read about the show is that the book material is done as Martin hasn't written one in a while. That means the current team will be writing how the story goes.
The show is strange in that when it is not on I don't really think about it at all but when in season I can't wait to see what happens next.
Who is the fan fave to get their comeuppance-Cersei or little finger? Someone else?

Show Me the Wire
08-17-2017, 04:55 PM
One thing I read about the show is that the book material is done as Martin hasn't written one in a while. That means the current team will be writing how the story goes.
The show is strange in that when it is not on I don't really think about it at all but when in season I can't wait to see what happens next.
Who is the fan fave to get their comeuppance-Cersei or little finger? Someone else?

This season? Littlefinger.

cj
08-18-2017, 11:47 PM
Episode 6 has been leaked.

Not sure how long this will last but it is current right now:

http://sharemovies.net/watch/xqpO4z0v-game-of-thrones-season-7/episode-6.html

dartman51
08-19-2017, 12:33 AM
This season? Littlefinger.

I agree. I think Littlefinger dies this season. Maybe Arya kills the sleezy bastard. :jump:

RunForTheRoses
08-19-2017, 07:06 AM

I watched it the other night, all I can say is get out your popcorn, it is a good episode, the penultimate one usually is. No spoilers but keep watching to the very end, a major plot wrinkle gets thrown in.

RunForTheRoses
08-19-2017, 07:15 AM

One of these links might work too, note, I didn't get it here so be careful, make sure your antivirus is up to date,

https://www.reddit.com/r/GoTlinks/comments/6u2ed4/season_7_episode_6_leaks/

PaceAdvantage
08-23-2017, 10:18 AM
Saw the latest episode...refuse to watch leaks if only because they are usually pretty poor quality

Anyway...thought the episode was kinda ridiculous until the end...

Dave Schwartz
08-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Saw the latest episode...refuse to watch leaks if only because they are usually pretty poor quality

Anyway...thought the episode was kinda ridiculous until the end...

PA,

I love them all, but this one was highly predictable and the timeline was all wrong.

They were actually talking about that in a newspaper article on Monday: Crows must fly at the speed of light or something like that.

Dave

FantasticDan
08-23-2017, 11:47 AM
^Yeah, all the timing issues were farcical. And this whole Arya/Sansa thing better turn out to be them (or just Arya) manipulating Littlefinger, and not the other way around. Arya's much smarter than she's been acting.

Finale episode will be almost 80 minutes long! :ThmbUp:

Show Me the Wire
08-23-2017, 03:45 PM
If you watch and enjoy fantasy, it is because we suspend our beliefs about how reality works. In fantasy ravens and dragons can travel at light speed or close to it and that Gendry has super stamina, speed even with frigid air being sucked into his lungs.