PDA

View Full Version : $5000 or more in win pools

lamboguy
08-16-2017, 11:37 AM
if a track can't manage to hit an average of $5000 or more in their win pools, there is no good reason in the world to allow them to open their pools for wagering. its just not a viable operation and the number of $5000 should actually be a lot higher.

betovernetcapper
08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
I think a lot of tracks with very small pools are in isolated areas out west or in some part of Canada that no one ever visits. Having a racetrack may be the only thing that makes the place livable. A trainers entire stable may consist of one horse. Most of these tracks tend to have really slow horses that couldn't compete at the average track. The other day I was looking through the entries at Mountaineer, which has a fair handle and out of nine races, the highest Beyer for the horses last 3 races was 52! The horses at these tiny tracks are probably running figures in the twenties. If you don't race them, what are you going to do with them? They are not bred to do farm work & are too slow for the Amish.
The jockeys & trainers at these places also tend to be a little sub par. I watched one Canadian race in which the jockeys were riding more like cowboys than trained professionals. These folks are not likely to get any work at say Saratoga.
I say live & let live. If they can run the track without public funds, go for it. I probably won't bet on it, but have no desire to deprive others of their pleasure or livelihood.
Now if you want to shut down tracks with high takeout's, you have my undivided attention. :)