PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Wednesday, August 16

Teach
08-16-2017, 08:43 AM
Race One:

Disclaimer: I know very little about “jump” races (As my mother used to say: “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing…”). Yet, having said all that, I’ll proffer my opinion for your consideration on this lid-lifting steeplechase race. :6: MUTASAAWY is a well-bred Tapit-Pulpit “jumper” who won his last race at Prx (I like the fact that he’s had some time – unlike some of the others – to freshen up between races). In addition, this Greeley-bred has hit the tote in nearly 70% of lifetime turf starts. The gelding’s trainer, Neil Morris, has a nearly 20% success rate with horses he’s saddled who are entered in allowance races. This gelding’s pilot, Darren Nagle, has a solid record when aboard horses making turf starts. Others: :2:, :4:, :8:.

Race Two:

In this 9-panels MSW route, I’m casting my lot with an upset try (as always, I’m looking for value), with the number :6:, TARPON BAY ROAD. The M/L says 6-1 (as the 1940s song says: “...that’s good enough for me). This Tapit (Pulpit)-bred chestnut colt comes off a second-place finish against weaker at Ellis Park a little over one month ago. In that one, this 4 year-old was “gaining late” (DRF). My deduction: I believe this nine-furlongs race “suits him to a tee” (I can’t say that for all the others). This colt should be passing tiring horses and moving quickly into contention as the field moves to the top of the stretch. Luis Saez is in the irons for a colt making his fourth start off a layoff. Others: :1:, :4:, :2:.

Race Three:

In this 11-panels allowance of the Inner, I’m going with :1: HOLIDAY STAR (you also get the other half of the entry, :1a:, STREET FASHION. Yes, I know, Holiday Star has been away from the races “for the longest time”. Yet, the back-class is undeniable. If this Harlan’s Holiday-bred gelding is reasonably ready, I believe he can prevail. The gelding’s trainer, Graham Motion, does well with horses that have been away from the races. One of this country’s best jockeys, Jose Ortiz, is in the irons. Others: :3:, :5:, :4:.

Race Four:

In this 6-panels claimer, n2L, I’m picking :1a: EASY WAY OUT (You also get the other half of the entry, :1: LADY DEVIL). This 3 year-old Brad Cox trainee won her last against better state-breds. If this Harlan’s Holiday-bred can repeat her last sterling effort, she should, once again, find herself in the winner’s circle. Rudy Rodriguez trains this grand-daughter of Touch Gold. I should mention that “El Mexicano” does well with horses entered in claiming races. The apprentice, Luis Reyes, has hit feet in the stirrups. Others: :3:, :6:, :8:.

Race Five:

In this MSW turf sprint, I’m selecting :4: MY MR. WONDERFUL. This Giant’s Causeway-bred 2 year-old bay gelding just missed on a sloppy track (taken off the turf) in his only start at the beginning of the Saratoga meet. This gelding’s turf pedigree, especially “on the bottom” is solid. The gelding’s dam, Clay’s Run, had 4 winners from 5 starters and 2 turf winners. This gelding’s trainer is the rock-solid conditioner, Rick Violette, Jr. Jose Ortiz reprises the ride. Others: :2:, :8:, :11:.

Race Six:

:7: SARATOGA WILDCAT is my pick in this 7-panels claiming race. This d’Wildcat-bred bay gelding was claimed, a couple months ago, out of the John Toscano stables and now resides in a Rudy Rodriguez barn. I cite this because Rodriguez has an outstanding record when entering horses in the first-after-a-claim category. This Forest Wildcat-bred has a second in two tries at the distance. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: :1:, :2:, :3:.

Race Seven:

In this OC turf sprint, I’m picking the Claiborne Farms, Adele Dilschneider-owned entry, :1: COMMEND/:1a: VICI. I believe that either of these horses have a solid chance of gracing the winner’s circle. If both remain entered, it’ll be: “two for the price of one”. One caveat: Don’t expect much in return at the windows. Exotic bets and/or multi-race wagers may be the way to go. Bill Mott and Ben Colebrook are the trainers. The Ortiz brothers, Jose and Irad, are in the irons. Others: :4:, :6:, :7:.

Race Eight:

In this one-mile turf route on the Inner, I’m picking the 2-1 M/L fave, :6: DAMAGE CONTROL. This Hard Spun-bred 5 year-old bay gelding was a closing 3rd in a similar state-bred turf route at Belmont in late-June. Any slight improvement and this Danzig-bred should find himself in the winner’s circle. Irad Ortiz, Jr. picks up the mount for trainer Rudy Rodriguez. Rodriguez does very well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last race. Others: :3:, :2:, :7:.

Race Nine:
T
hat brings us the feature race on today’s card: the 100k Bolton Landing, a non-graded turf sprint to be contested over the distance of 5 and ½ furlongs. My pick is the medium longshot, the outside horse, :8: BUY SELL HOLD. This 2 year-old grey filly was last at the opening of the meet in the Grade III Schylerville; she finished 5th in that one after leading in the early stages of the race. Well, her connections have decided to switch her to the grass. This distaffer’s turf pedigree would appear to indicate that she should have no trouble perambulating on the lawn. In fact she’s been worked twice on the lawn leading up to this race. Steve Asmussen trains this daughter of Violence. Florent Geroux is in the irons. Others: :5:, :3:, :1:.

Race Ten:

In the finale, a maiden-claimer, 7-panels on the main, I’m picking :6: SCHOTT. This 4 year-old Unbridled Song-bred bay gelding was fourth in a race against better at a mile at Belmont about one month ago. The one-panel cut-back should help. I must admit that this gelding has never hit the board in all four of his pari-mutuel starts; yet, against this weaker company, his chances are greatly improved. This gelding is also eligible to improve in his second start off a layoff. John Kimmel is the gelding’s conditioner. Jose Lezcano reprises the ride. Others: :3:, :5:, :2:.