PDA

View Full Version : Opitional claiming races

theBozyn
08-15-2017, 12:13 PM
In these type of races is it a good or bad sign when the trainer opts to put his horse up for the claiming price?

GMB@BP
08-15-2017, 12:21 PM
In these type of races is it a good or bad sign when the trainer opts to put his horse up for the claiming price?

It depends...if a horse is out of conditions, and isnt quite likely to win in stakes races then it makes perfect sense to find these spots, in fact sometimes its advantageous.

I know its mostly 2x and 3x races in NY but in socal you can have a horse with 10-15 wins going against mdn winners.

green80
08-15-2017, 12:28 PM
It depends on the rest of the conditions. Sometimes the only way a horse is eligible is if he runs for a claiming price. In this case the horse running for the claiming price may be the better horse. In some OC races, OR is the key word.
Such as non winners of (insert conditions here) or $xxx claiming.

onefast99
08-15-2017, 01:29 PM
Navarro uses this technique a lot, he puts his horse in for the condition, wins it and two weeks later he is in for the tag at 3/5. He has to be the top trainer in the world placement wise!:eek:

classhandicapper
08-15-2017, 04:46 PM
I agree with the gist of what has been said.

If a horse is already through his available ALW conditions and can't compete at the next highest level, there's not much you can do with him other than run him back at the level he has already won except this time for a tag. If you see several horses like that in the same race, the optional claimer can sometimes be stronger than a regular ALW race.

If the horse hasn't won for that condition but is in for tag, that could mean something else.

Cholly
08-15-2017, 08:12 PM
If the horse hasn't won for that condition but is in for tag, that could mean something else.

could mean there's a game of Liar's Poker going on.

Tom
08-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Belmont 2017

66 AOC races, horse entered for a tag won 6 of them (14%)
Keep you eyes open for the opportunities, though.
Last year, I had one where the winner had 12 wins - nothing else in the field had more than 2 wins. Got 9-2 on him.

ReplayRandall
08-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Belmont 2017

66 AOC races, horse entered for a tag won 6 of them (14%)
Keep you eyes open for the opportunities, though.
Last year, I had one where the winner had 12 wins - nothing else in the field had more than 2 wins. Got 9-2 on him.

9%.....Gives more credibility to the rest of your post..;)