PDA

View Full Version : A Question About the McCarthy Hearings

barn32
08-12-2017, 12:17 PM
A lot of people, many in show business, were persecuted (wrongly) during the McCarthy hearings. Lives were ruined. Panic set in. There seemed to be a communist under every bush.

My father was so afraid of communists he got a new dead bolt lock for the front door. (No kidding.) He said they were going to come and take everything away. They would tell you what to do, what to eat, what to say.

"In a communist country you don't have any rights," he would say. "How would you like it if someone told you that you had to eat mush for dinner?"

Every Saturday morning, no matter what was on television, we had to sit and be quiet while the fifteen minute "Dan Smoot" show was on. If we were watching cartoons, off they would go.

"You kids shut the hell up! Dan smoot is on!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJyuXSW5nA

The best thing about the Dan Smoot show was the sponsor. Dr. Ross Dog Food.

My brother and I would sing along with the commercial, "Dr. Ross Dog Food is Dog Gone Good!--Woof!" And then we would laugh our asses off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQoalfbT2W0

The show would come back on and again we would hear, "Shut the hell up you kids, Dan Smoot is on!" Dan Smoot was probably a little bit to the right of John Birch.

So here is something I've been thinking about. If I were called before the committee I would have simply said the following:

"Gentlemen, I will answer every question you ask of me, but first you must answer one question of mine first. Is it against the law to be a communist?"

boxcar
08-12-2017, 12:29 PM
A lot of people, many in show business, were persecuted (wrongly) during the McCarthy hearings. Lives were ruined. Panic set in. There seemed to be a communist under every bush.

My father was so afraid of communists he got a new dead bolt lock for the front door. (No kidding.) He said they were going to come and take everything away. They would tell you what to do, what to eat, what to say.

"In a communist country you don't have any rights," he would say. "How would you like it if someone told you that you had to eat mush for dinner?"

Every Saturday morning, no matter what was on television, we had to sit and be quiet while the fifteen minute "Dan Smoot" show was on. If we were watching cartoons, off they would go.

"You kids shut the hell up! Dan smoot is on!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewJyuXSW5nA

The best thing about the Dan Smoot show was the sponsor. Dr. Ross Dog Food.

My brother and I would sing along with the commercial, "Dr. Ross Dog Food is Dog Gone Good!--Woof!" And then we would laugh our asses off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQoalfbT2W0

The show would come back on and again we would hear, "Shut the hell up you kids, Dan Smoot is on!" Dan Smoot was probably a little bit to the right of John Birch.

So here is something I've been thinking about. If I were called before the committee I would have simply said the following:

"Gentlemen, I will answer every question you ask of me, but first you must answer one question of mine first. Is it against the law to be a communist?"

Just as liberals want all climate change deniers locked up, many conservatives wouldn't mind seeing all communists incarcerated. The charge: Lack of common decency and all rational thought. :coffee:

tucker6
08-12-2017, 01:28 PM
The answer is YES

mostpost
08-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Just as liberals want all climate change deniers locked up, many conservatives wouldn't mind seeing all communists incarcerated. The charge: Lack of common decency and all rational thought. :coffee:
If lack of rational thought were a crime, you would be in prison.

thaskalos
08-12-2017, 02:29 PM
If lack of rational thought were a crime, you would be in prison.

In PRISON? He would have been EXECUTED!

Tom
08-12-2017, 03:13 PM
It is not a crime to be a communist,nor is it a crime to be a RUSSIAN.

The McCarthy hearings were disgraceful, run by a scared little man with no integrity, honor, nor rational thought. He was a scumbag of a man. Just like the left is doing today with its witch hunts.

If they want to have people in prison, they need look no further than the DNC in general and Hillary in particular. Compared to the target of Jaded Joe, there are mountain of evidence against them.

Thanks for reminding us all about how sick and dangerous mindless political hacks can be with their delusional thinking.

Timely post. :ThmbUp: