PDA

View Full Version : takeout at Oaklawn and Ky. tracks

so.cal.fan
02-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Does someone know what the takout is for straight pools?
They don't list it in the Simulcast Weekly?????????
Thanks in advance.

BillW
02-24-2002, 03:43 PM
so.cal.fan,

Try this:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=trktkout

Later,

Bill W.

so.cal.fan
02-24-2002, 04:07 PM
I hope everyone on this board is supporting NYRA.
I hate to bet simulcasts, but as a matter of principle, I will now start wagering on the New York tracks whenever I can find a bet.
14% is the best deal in town.
I was horrified at the takeout at Turf Paradise!
20% bite, to bet minor league horses!
You players in Arizona really have to be selective to try to overcome that.
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

JimG
02-24-2002, 05:27 PM
Bill,

I've been a Bris member longer than I can remember but have never seen that chart on takeout. Thank you for posting it.

Jim

BillW
02-24-2002, 05:52 PM
Jim,

I think it's only been up a few months. They have it tucked down at the bottom of their Library page.

Bill

Tom
02-24-2002, 07:00 PM
I can beat the takeout at any track.
Just lose.

~G~
Tom

Jeff P
02-24-2002, 11:10 PM
I was horrified at the takeout at Turf Paradise!
20% bite, to bet minor league horses!
You players in Arizona really have to be selective to try to overcome that.
Ouch!!!!!!!!!!

So.Cal.Fan-

True, our takeout at 20% is too high. If they want to compete on a National level for simulcast action (and I'm not sure that track management here really wants to compete, or understands much of anything here at all...) they need to lower it.

But despite that, I have found it easier to find overlays at Turf Paradise than at most other tracks, including Southern California. If you can judge the condition of horses at all, and/or if you understand and can handicap pace at all, you will often find that you are competing against a 'less knowledgeable crowd' at Turf Paradise than at Southern California. We have a public handicapper here who gives out his picks before each race over the PA system and on television. He always ignores track biases and often doesn't even mention horses that really are logical contenders. He gets quite a following though. Many people take his advice and the result is that we get a lot of false favorites here. The pools here are smaller and most of the time the favorite really gets over bet in proportion to its true chances to win. This often creates overlays on other logical contenders who sometimes pay remarkable win, double, pick-three, exacta, and quinella prices.

If you want to overlook Turf Paradise simply because of our high takeout and low quality horses, believe me, I can understand why. But I can just about guarantee that any handicapper who takes the time to truly understand and become familiar with this track can easily overcome the take here.

so.cal.fan
02-25-2002, 12:48 PM
I used to know a lady who lived in Arizona, Bonnie Ledbetter. She was a body language expert, who died several years ago.
She made a video back in the 80's on spotting sore horses.
It was filmed at Turf Paradise.
It is minor league racing, much like what you see in cheap races at Fairplex Park.
That said, Jeff, I have to agree with you that if you are ON TRACK there, you may just find an edge.
That is good information about the guy who touts before the race.
At Fairplex, we have Prof. Gordon Jones, sitting in the paddock touting horses who are favorites, and so sore they look like they are walking backwards.
He NEVER even looks at them. We get a laugh out of that. He touts on a radiio show sponsered, I believe, by Fairplex!
Anyway, good luck to you. I KNOW you have to WORK HARD for your
winners there.
If I ever go to Turf Paradise, I hope I see you in the paddock!

smf
02-25-2002, 05:13 PM
So Cal fan,

That was a very fine description of the "expert public handicapper". If you ever go to LS, the "expert public handicapper" that comes over the PA system has his schtick taped! Last year he was touting a horse that "looked like the class of the field, the surefire winner" that was running loose on the track as he spoke and had to be scratched, LOL.

I really wish we had racing here 12 months a year locally--I'd never look at another track other than the local meet. I'd be at the track every day if we had a situation like that. Problem for us here is that our meet is short, and we get shippers running in and out of town from La, Ok, Ark that don't return. The advantage we have as on-track cappers here is short lived.

ranchwest
02-25-2002, 05:39 PM
I once went to a handicapping seminar put on by the LS tout. His example was a race won by a horse that pure straightforward logic would imply was the 5th choice or so. Basically, he told us that it was the pick because it was one of the 6 or so live horses in the race and it was possible to pick the right one. So helpful.

so.cal.fan
02-25-2002, 06:10 PM
That's the greatest, Ranchwest!
I wonder if the same guy will give a seminar on money management.
"Just bet more on the winners, less on the losers" LOL
Sounds like you folks in Texas have a built in "edge" with these
"experts" helping your prices!
You gotta love em!!!!!! LOL

ranchwest
02-26-2002, 07:05 AM
Yeah, they help us sometimes. Last spring, I was on a horse as my only choice in the race, bet to win. Not some odd trainer pattern, a straight-out choice. He paid over $59 to win. Ah, I like those.