PDA

View Full Version : Hastings R9

Jeff P
08-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Watch Richard Hamel aboard the #2 horse Modern through the stretch.

Has to be one of the more interesting stretch runs I've ever witnessed -- without the stewards declaring it a "no race."

-jp

JustRalph
08-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Amazing

http://www.hastingsracecourse.com/results-replays/

If he gets away with that.......holy hell

I think the :6: was supposed to win and he had a nice discussion with the rider of :6: all the way thru the turn.

Jeff P
08-07-2017, 09:36 PM
There was a spill on the backside. I'm guessing at least one (possibly two) horses were still down on the track (possibly riders too) as the horses were making the stretch run.

Hamel kept looking around. I'm thinking he wasn't 100% sure whether or not the race was still on.

In addition to looking around he can be seen pulling his horse up well before the wire.

The announcer can he heard telling the riders to pull up short immediately after the wire.

When I saw it the first time I thought the #9 might have nailed the #2 on the wire. But the announcer called the #2 as the winner. The photo showed the #2 winning (but barely.)

All this... in a $50k Stakes at Hastings... on a Monday.

-jp

Elliott Sidewater
08-07-2017, 09:51 PM
There was a spill on the backside. I'm guessing at least one (possibly two) horses were still down on the track (possibly riders too) as the horses were making the stretch run.

Hamel kept looking around. I'm thinking he wasn't 100% sure whether or not the race was still on.

In addition to looking around he can be seen pulling his horse up well before the wire.

The announcer can he heard telling the riders to pull up short immediately after the wire.

When I saw it the first time I thought the #9 might have nailed the #2 on the wire. But the announcer called the #2 as the winner. The photo showed the #2 winning (but barely.)

All this... in a $50k Stakes at Hastings... on a Monday.

-jp

I too thought that #2 got nailed on the wire, the jockey seemed more concerned about everything else than winning the damn race. Yes, I saw the loose horse on the inside but jockey Hamel was looking over BOTH shoulders. What was that??

MONEY
08-07-2017, 09:52 PM
It looked to me that Hamel was wary of the riderless #8. That's all.

HuggingTheRail
08-07-2017, 10:03 PM
That was an ugly race....there were also people coming out of the paddock, and pony horses coming from the clubhouse turn to help guide the finishing horses toward the outside of the track. There were 2 riders down on the midpoint of the clubhouse turn...

johnhannibalsmith
08-07-2017, 10:07 PM
I actually thought Hamel was going to attempt to pick the loose horse up or at least get him to check out so he wasn't running loose through the wreck.

Jeff P
08-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Upon reflection that actually makes sense.

I'm really glad he didn't try that during the running of the race.

-jp

JustRalph
08-08-2017, 12:02 AM
I always think the worse

Run Nicholas Run
10-14-2017, 07:04 PM
hamel may be the leading rider but he is the leading stiff, race 5 today proved that once again, thats why he is the top spank at hastings.