PDA

View Full Version : Fast-working, well-bet first-time starters at Del Mar are a LOSING proposition

Turfday
08-08-2004, 12:08 AM
This is very enlightening, very interesting and should be very helpful IF you play Del Mar.

In the second race this past Friday at Del Mar, there were two
fast-working, well-connected first-time starters entered in a six-horse field that contained two certain throwouts, leaving four contenders.

The firsters were Runwiththedevil, trained by Wesley Ward, who is normally superb winning with his first-time starters and the other was Tizzaround, trained by the redhot Doug O'Neill, who isn't as reliable winning with firsters.

Both of these were 3-year-old Cal-bred geldings and both had received favorable workout comments from National Turf's great clocker Andy Harrington. I thought surely one or the other was going to win, as the other two contenders were Mr. Ching, who had run well on turf, but had yet to try dirt and Proud Cardenal, who showed no speed in his comeback race after
almost 19 months on the sidelines.

Boy, was I wrong. The "known element" ran one-two with Proud Cardenal winning clear of Mr. Ching.

This prompted me to query the www.turfday.com database of every single race run in North American and Canada since Jan. 1, 1995.

Here was my query:

I decided to use the 7-week Del Mar meets of 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 plus the first 15 days of this current meet...virtually 30 weeks of racing.

QUESTION: How many first-time starters went off at 4/1 or less during this period ?

QUESTION: How many won?

QUESTION: What was the return on investment (ROI)?

ANSWERS: There were 158 first-time starters that went off at 4/1 or less during this query period. There were 33 first-time starters that won at 4/1 or less...(a paltry 20%). A $2 flat-win bet on all 158 = $316 returned $226.26...a $90 LOSS or about - 28%.

THE BREAKDOWN:

2-YEAR-OLDS: 111 firsters at 4/1 or less...21 winners @ $6.74

3-YEAR-OLDS & UP: 47 firsters at 4/1 or less...12 winners @ $7.06

MORAL OF THE STORY: Be very careful and extra choosy when backing a first-time starter at Del Mar, no matter how fast the workouts, how flashy the pedigree and how good the connections are.

SPECULATION: My guess is that towards the END of the meet, would be a better opportunity for a well-bet first-time starter to win at Del Mar. First, the fields sometimes thin out in the last week or two. Second, check and see if the firster has had at least four works over the Del Mar track to get accustomed to the surface and is not shipping in from Hollywood Park, Santa Anita or elsewhere. A lot of these firsters early in the meet don't have that opportunity.

kenwoodallpromos
08-08-2004, 01:00 AM
Sounds like you have researched the angle; but how did the 4-1 and under first-timers do when they were the only 4-1 or under in the race?

plainolebill
08-08-2004, 01:01 AM
Check Ward's stats for the past two years (Socal tracks).

linrom1
08-08-2004, 09:05 AM
If you exclude races for Cal bred especially from 2000-2002, will that give you the same result? The only reliable Sire at that time was In Excess.

Turfday
08-08-2004, 09:54 AM
Don't understand the reasoning or purpose by your point of excluding all Cal-bred races. The study was to simply figure out if well bet first-time starters were winning with any frequency at Del Mar and, if so, to see if they were/are a profitable proposition.

For the record, if it matters...and I don't think so....from Aug. 5, 2001 through Aug. 5, 2004, In Excess has 21 first out winners out of 135 starters. Just how many of those winners (not including 2000) won in those small 7-week windows during Del Mar....not sure.

RXB
08-08-2004, 11:27 AM
Fast-working first-timers are losing propositions everywhere. Fast workouts = overbet.

kenwoodallpromos
08-08-2004, 01:54 PM
MSW, 3 maidens went off at 4-1 or less, all in the money. If they were all 1st time starters, their combined win % is 33%.
2 or more in a race screws up your stats.

Skanoochies
08-08-2004, 10:35 PM
I`m not sure what your peramiters are. Fast working? o.k. 1st time starters? o.k. Age ? o.k. Distance? o.k. I just don`t bet first time starters, that have bullet works, that are entered in claiming races. If they are that fast why take a chance of losing them? ( unless they were real bargains and entered for a claiming tag that would show a big profit if claimed.)