PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Sunday, August 6

Teach
08-06-2017, 08:42 AM
Race One:
:6: ARE WE NOT MEN is playing the “claiming-race limbo”. How low can you go? I call this drop: precipitous. The DRF calls it: “suspicious”. I suppose owners and trainers do have their reasons. In any event, this 6 year-old gelding is dropping to a level where he has to be considered - for all intents and purposes - a “player”. This Wild Again-bred should ideally be sitting in a good stalking position. The gelding’s trainer, David Jacobson, does extremely well with drops off a claim. My only caveat: he’s has been away from the races for over two months. Yet, Jacobson also does well in that category. Jose Ortiz in the irons is a plus. Others::8:, :5:, :2:

Race Two:
:2: ESCAPADE finished a very creditable 2nd in her only pari-mutuel start, a turf sprint downstate at Belmont in mid-June. This More Than Ready-bred 2 year-old filly closed well in that one; it gives one the impression both that she wants to go longer and that there’s room for improvement. Todd Pletcher, one of this country’s best trainers, saddles this grand-daughter of Giant’s Causeway. Pletcher does exceptionally well with horses making their first route start. Jose Ortiz has his feet in the stirrups. Others: :4:, :6:, :5:

Race Three:
:2: RED RIFLE is my selection here in the short-field Alydar Stakes. In evaluating this race, I was looking for the horse who I believe “can get the distance”. I contend that Red Rifle can do just that. I also like the turf-to-dirt angle. This chestnut gelding’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, does very well in the categories of turf-to-dirt and route races. Jose Ortiz is this gelding’s pilot (Is this his "red-letter: day?). Others: :5:, :4:, :6:

Race Four:
:1a: SILKY WAY is my medium-longshot pick. This Malibu Moon-bred bay colt has been away from the races “for the longest time”. Yet I believe his morning work-tab indicates readiness. This 3 year-old nearly won at this very distance last fall at Aqueduct. In fact, he was leading at the top of the stretch only to be collared in the final strides. This colt’s pilot, Jose Lezcano, is quietly putting together a solid Spa meet. The colt’s conditioner, the Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, does reasonably well both with horses that have been “on the bench” and who are making a turf start. Others: :10:, :2:, :8:

Race Five:
:8: ANOTHER GENIUS has been away from the races since last November when she finished out of the money in a turf route at Aqueduct. Well, this Einstein-bred is entered in a turf sprint; that distance may prove more to her liking. This bay filly has won on the lawn at both 7 panels and 5 and ½ panels (today’s distance). This filly should be well placed from her outside post. If all goes according to plan, she should be closing strongly in deep stretch. Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer Linda Rice. Others: :4:, :1:, :2:

Race Six:
:4: HONEY GRAEME, a first-time starter, is my pick to win at first asking. This bay filly’s conditioner, Rick Violette, Jr., does exceptionally well both with first-time starters and debut MSWs. This filly’s broodmare, Howaboutrightnow, produced three winners from four starters. This 2 year-old’s morning work-tab has been good. Jose Ortiz has the call. Others: :10:, :5:, :9:

Race Seven:
:8: MAY BE A DIAMOND drops into “the selling ranks” for the first time after a lengthy vacation. Class-wise, this A.P. Indy-bred sticks out like the proverbial “sore thumb”. Yet, I must admit his sporadic racing pattern does bring cause for concern. As they used to say on the TV show, “To Tell The Truth,” Will the real May Be a Diamond please stand up. If he runs like an allowance horse, he can tower over this field; yet, that is a big IF. I’d watch this gelding on the track and on the board. “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario, is in the irons for Charley Baker. Others: :11:, :9:, :6:

Race Eight:
:11: NUTZFORBOLTZ is my “looking for value” play in this state-bred turf route. I must admit that I’m picking this bay gelding despite the fact that his selection flies in the face of one of my cardinal racing rules: Don’t bet outside horses in races with short-distance first-turn run-ups. Yes, this gelding faces just that. Yet, Luis Saez is one of the best at breaking out of the gate, alertly. If Saez can guide this gelding into a forwardly- placed position coming off that first turn, well, I believe he has a chance. If not… Richard Shosberg, who part-owns and trains this altered son of Pioneerof the Nile (think American Pharoah), has done reasonably well with horses entered in allowance races. Others: :3:, :2:, :1:

Race Nine:
:5: STORMY’S SONG gets my nod in this allowance sprint, n1x. This well-bred grey filly has hit the tote in both her pari-mutuel tries. This 3 year-old finished third as the beaten favorite at Belmont in late June. This Unbridled’s Song-bred now cuts back two panels. I believe six furlongs is more to her liking. Brian Lynch trains this daughter of Stormy Tak. Lynch does very well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last race. Joel Rosario reprises the ride. Others: :1:/:1a:, :3:, :4:

Race Ten:
The Troy (your trivia tidbit: Troy, NY is the official home of “Uncle Sam”; they hold a parade there every September) Handicap, the feature race on today’s card, is to be contested on the turf over the distance of 5 and ½ furlongs for a purse of 250k. My pick is the :6: HOLDING GOLD. This Florida-bred bay gelding finished 3rd in the Grade III Jaipur at Belmont about two months ago. Well, this gelding looks ready to return to the races as evidenced by his sharp “bullet” work. The Hall of Famer, Johnny V., is in the irons for trainer Mark Casse. Others: :4:, :2:, :3:.

Race Eleven:
In the finale, a turf claiming route, my pick is :2: MUAAWER. This bay horse has faced much better over the course of his career. He now drops in for a tag. He should find this level of competition very much to his liking. The veteran reinsman, Joe Bravo, rides this Medaglia d’Oro-bred for trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. McLaughlin does very well w/shippers. A recent solid morning work signals readiness. Others: :13: AE, :12:, :1:.