PDA

View Full Version : live video on a wireless computer?

cash2
08-07-2004, 06:14 PM
anyone have any experience with this?

i want to play philly park this winter but i'd prefer to do it in a climate somewhat more balmy than the mid atlantic region. somehow the idea of sitting in an internet cafe in new orleans or florida with a laptop beats trudging thru the snow to del park or the otb.

i don't need a perfect picture. just enough to identify the horses and plot their trips. what would be the minimun requirements to do this?
tia cash

JustRalph
08-07-2004, 10:57 PM
I just ordered a Dell Axiom.......they say it won't be here for a few weeks..........but I will give it a whirl.......for sure...........stay tuned

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x3?c=us&cs=&l=en&s=dfb&

BillW
08-08-2004, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by JustRalph
I just ordered a Dell Axiom.......they say it won't be here for a few weeks..........but I will give it a whirl.......for sure...........stay tuned

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/axim_x3?c=us&cs=&l=en&s=dfb&

Nice toy, you must be staying busy :D

JustRalph
08-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by BillW
Nice toy, you must be staying busy :D

Bill....... I have some clients who are thinking it may be time to jump to wireless email via smaller equipment, instead of lugging their laptops. I need to stay up on the latest technology. There are several hotspots popping up (including my wife's restaurant) around town here in Columbus now. In the name of good business.......and a tax write off of course..........

andicap
08-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Cash,
no reason you can't watch racing on a laptop via a wireless connection proviided you're in a hotspot.

Of course, you'll pay to get connected in many places nowadays, so it will cost you.

JustRalph
08-08-2004, 04:00 AM
Andi is right. If you want to haul a laptop around......it will be possible..in fact easy........although some hotspots have bandwidth filters. After you watch a couple of races...........guess what? You can't do it anymore. The trick is to log off..........and then back onto the network.............FYI

I am hoping to maybe get it done on a smaller scale with the the Axiom.........you never know until you try..............

just for info, some Internet Cafe type places will actually supply you with a laptop for a nominal fee.....or they actually have desktop setups available.....if you plan ahead and find one of these places.........you won't even need the laptop. Just pay to play when you get there...............

penguinfan
08-08-2004, 07:47 AM
I have wireless setup in my house and watch the races sitting on my back porch most nights. Much nicer this time of year to be outside with a cold beer than a smoke filled OTB.

sq764
08-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Ahh, then you have to love Delaware.. Where you can sit in a smoke free OTB with a cold beer.